PDA

View Full Version : We didn't trade any position players

sunofgold
07-31-2013, 07:42 PM
Bummer. Maybe Hahn tried but there weren't any decent trades. Really thought Rios or Ramirez would have been traded. We need to shake something up. Why reward our underperforming offense by letting them all stay. Lol.

LITTLE NELL
07-31-2013, 07:59 PM
Bummer. Maybe Hahn tried but there weren't any decent trades. Really thought Rios or Ramirez would have been traded. We need to shake something up. Why reward our underperforming offense by letting them all stay. Lol.

I would have liked to move some of them but my guess is that starting nine on opening day in 2014 will be a lot different than what's on the field tonight in Cleveland.

soltrain21
07-31-2013, 08:05 PM

I.would say making them stay is punishment.

sunofgold
07-31-2013, 08:10 PM
Yeah punishment for us. Garcia better at least be called up in September.

SI1020
07-31-2013, 08:12 PM
If you were a GM looking over the position players on the White Sox who would you want? Dunn? Rios? Of course I have no inside info but I doubt that Hahn was overwhelmed with inquiries and offers.

sunofgold
07-31-2013, 08:23 PM
Rios. Would make a lot of sense for Texas as Cruz is going to be suspended. If it wasn't for Peralta's upcoming suspension, then we couldn't have completed peavy trade. Thanks bud

cards press box
07-31-2013, 08:38 PM
Rios. Would make a lot of sense for Texas as Cruz is going to be suspended.

We have to see what happens to Nelson Cruz. If Cruz gets suspended and does not appeal, then the Rangers will need to put somebody in right field. Maybe a deal could still be done.

Put it this way: I wouldn't be surprised if Rios clears waivers and the Sox are able to deal him to Texas in an August waiver deal. I just can't see anyone putting in a claim on Rios.

A. Cavatica
07-31-2013, 09:00 PM
Dunn will clear waivers, too. And who knows? Maybe some team will suffer an injury and Dunn will have had a three-game hot streak. We can hope...

skobabe8
07-31-2013, 10:14 PM
Dunn will clear waivers, too. And who knows? Maybe some team will suffer an injury and Dunn will have had a three-game hot streak. We can hope...

Right on. Just because a deal isn't done by July 31 doesn't mean a deal won't get done.

Corlose 15
07-31-2013, 10:45 PM
Right on. Just because a deal isn't done by July 31 doesn't mean a deal won't get done.

In fact I think it's actually more likely than not that Rios gets dealt before the end of the year.

WLL1855
08-01-2013, 12:34 AM

Precisely. What team wants to put a claim in on Dunn or Rios on the waiver wire? Nobody. Not like we are hoping to protect either.

It looks like Hahn did fairly well so far with what he had to work with. I won't be shocked to find a move after August 1st by the team.

JB98
08-01-2013, 12:34 AM
In fact I think it's actually more likely than not that Rios gets dealt before the end of the year.

I agree, and let's be honest, Rios has sucked lately. He has only two home runs since May 17, and the other aspects of his game haven't exactly set the world on fire. He's part of the problem here.

His value isn't real high right now. Maybe there was no market for him. And there's no point in trading him for guys who are non-prospects. The Sox already have a wealth of those in their farm system.

If he hits a hot streak, someone might want him for September. There's always the opportunity to trade him in the offseason, too.

I suspect Garcia is the Opening Day RF in 2014.

JB98
08-01-2013, 12:36 AM
If you were a GM looking over the position players on the White Sox who would you want? Dunn? Rios? Of course I have no inside info but I doubt that Hahn was overwhelmed with inquiries and offers.

A good point. If you were a rival GM, would you want any of these guys?

Noneck
08-01-2013, 12:50 AM

The Sox #1 position player throughout their system was Beckham, maybe now its Garcia. I agree, No one was going to be knocking on the Sox door for the Sox stiffs.

soxfanreggie
08-01-2013, 01:05 AM
The Sox #1 position player throughout their system was Beckham, maybe now its Garcia. I agree, No one was going to be knocking on the Sox door for the Sox stiffs.

I doubted we were going to trade Beckham, but he seemed more likely because of Alexei's contract. Besides someone like De Aza, we'd have a tough time. Nobody will be crazy enough to claim Dunn. Hopefully the team that claims Rios is able to work out a deal.

captain54
08-01-2013, 01:11 AM
I would have liked to move some of them but my guess is that starting nine on opening day in 2014 will be a lot different than what's on the field tonight in Cleveland.

Knowing the organization, they will hang on to the fact that the team played .500 with this bunch till June, then just had some "bad luck"

Just like it went into 2013 hanging on the fact that they were in first a lot of 2012, even though they lost 10 of 12 down the stretch, proving we got basically a bunch of stiffs here.

I seriously doubt this organization has the ability to evaluate talent properly.. I seriously think Reinsdorf might be way more involved than most people think in making personnel decisions. I seriously think the collective bunch of them has their heads up their collective heinies...

doublem23
08-01-2013, 01:36 AM
Just like it went into 2013 hanging on the fact that they were in first a lot of 2012, even though they lost 10 of 12 down the stretch, proving we got basically a bunch of stiffs here.

:rolling:

Sox were good for 150 games and bad for 12, surely everyone thought they should have waived the whole team.

captain54
08-01-2013, 02:02 AM
:rolling:

Sox were good for 150 games and bad for 12, surely everyone thought they should have waived the whole team.

Another clever little semi insulting emoticon and snarky response. Nice

Maybe you didn't catch the end of the season last year. FYI. They choked down the stretch. They didn't go to the postseason. In than respect, the season was a failure and not much was done to address that issue

russ99
08-01-2013, 07:31 AM
It makes more sense to trade Rios (and Ramirez, plus hopefully Viciedo and Keppinger too) in November.

Teams will be more willing to acquire a player with only one year of salary burden, plus IMO the returns are usually greater in the offseason than on deadline day.

Who knows we may even find a taker on Dunn with one year left.

Besides, it seems that teams look too closely at current performance at the deadline. In the offseason they look more at what a player will give them over a full season.

SCCWS
08-01-2013, 08:50 AM
It makes more sense to trade Rios (and Ramirez, plus hopefully Viciedo and Keppinger too) in November.

Teams will be more willing to acquire a player with only one year of salary burden, plus IMO the returns are usually greater in the offseason than on deadline day.

Who knows we may even find a taker on Dunn with one year left.

Besides, it seems that teams look too closely at current performance at the deadline. In the offseason they look more at what a player will give them over a full season.

One problem with your theory. The White Sox are just playing out the string. I think the young players will put out effort but they are mostly pitchers. The bigger question will be how productive will guys like Rios , Alexei and keppinger be mired in a losing season. If they tank the remaining games, does their value really drop off.

Milw
08-01-2013, 09:26 AM
Knowing the organization, they will hang on to the fact that the team played .500 with this bunch till June, then just had some "bad luck"

I seriously doubt this organization has the ability to evaluate talent properly.. I seriously think Reinsdorf might be way more involved than most people think in making personnel decisions. I seriously think the collective bunch of them has their heads up their collective heinies...

You seem like a pretty serious dude. Seriously.

captain54
08-01-2013, 09:58 AM
You seem like a pretty serious dude. Seriously.

Nah, just ticked off like most everyone else...

asindc
08-01-2013, 10:01 AM
I'm not ticked off or pleased... yet. I'll wait to see how the team looks when they break spring training camp. Until then, I'll continue to watch the process from my living room.

shes
08-01-2013, 10:41 AM

Dunn has been hot for two months -- close to .280 with a near .930 OPS since June 1. If we can't trade him now it means the market for him is zilch.

Milw
08-01-2013, 11:31 AM
Dunn has been hot for two months -- close to .280 with a near .930 OPS since June 1. If we can't trade him now it means the market for him is zilch.

Two good (not great, especially relative to his salary) months out of three abominable years. Would you trade for him? Because I wouldn't.

kobo
08-01-2013, 11:49 AM
Another clever little semi insulting emoticon and snarky response. Nice

Maybe you didn't catch the end of the season last year. FYI. They choked down the stretch. They didn't go to the postseason. In than respect, the season was a failure and not much was done to address that issue
Did it ever occur to you that maybe the Sox did what they did this past offseason because that was all Hahn was allowed to do? The team played well for the majority of the season (I think they overachieved), and it was obvious from the moves or lack of moves this offseason that they were in a wait-and-see mode. Hahn saw what all of us saw last year and this past offseason was not the time to try and rebuild. Now that this season has been a disaster, moreso than I think anyone anticipated, moves are being made. But with the payroll where it was and the type of players/contracts on this team going into this season there wasn't much flexibility to be had. To continue to cry and bitch and complain about a lack of moves made last offseason shows that you're not seeing the bigger picture.

captain54
08-01-2013, 12:04 PM
To continue to cry and bitch and complain about a lack of moves made last offseason shows that you're not seeing the bigger picture.

The Sox offensively, wet the bed down the stretch in 2012. Something Sox fans are more than used to. If you are satisfied that adding Keppinger was a way to fix that, then I don't know what else to say. The bigger picture is you're assuming those that engineered this train wreck also have the ability to get it back on track.

kobo
08-01-2013, 12:43 PM
The Sox offensively, wet the bed down the stretch in 2012. Something Sox fans are more than used to. If you are satisfied that adding Keppinger was a way to fix that, then I don't know what else to say. The bigger picture is you're assuming those that engineered this train wreck also have the ability to get it back on track.
Seeing as how KW is mainly responsible for organizing this train wreck I'll give Hahn a couple years to make some moves before I declare him incapable of doing his job.

JB98
08-01-2013, 02:30 PM

Nobody is satisfied. But you can see why things happened the way they did if you look at the situation with your eyes open.

kobo
08-01-2013, 02:46 PM
Nobody is satisfied. But you can see why things happened the way they did if you look at the situation with your eyes open.
Exactly! Thank you!

Milw
08-01-2013, 02:51 PM
Glad somebody else feels that way. I don't see this as a franchise without a plan; it's a franchise whose plan failed. That may not ultimately be any better, but the idea that Hahn & Co. are just flailing about with no idea what to do is, I think, myopic or disingenuous. The situation sucks and they have a ton of work to do, but it's premature for anyone to be calling for a no-confidence vote.

SouthSideMike
08-01-2013, 03:11 PM
Rios. Would make a lot of sense for Texas as Cruz is going to be suspended. If it wasn't for Peralta's upcoming suspension, then we couldn't have completed peavy trade. Thanks bud

Looks like Cruz might actually appeal his suspension to delay it long enough to finish the year; some reporters are suggesting the Rangers may be pushing him to appeal to avoid having to make an emergency move. They've already lost Berkman, though he's not retiring according to reports and may come back.

Given that they didn't make a move to add a bat, maybe they know or have reached an understanding with Cruz that he will appeal the suspension.

If not Texas, maybe the Pirates will revisit Rios if they slump over the next couple weeks.

captain54
08-01-2013, 03:42 PM
Glad somebody else feels that way. I don't see this as a franchise without a plan; it's a franchise whose plan failed.

this isn't just a failed plan. this is a unadulterated complete collapse and disaster. its like asking the guy who engineered the Exxon Valdez disaster to take charge of the cleanup

Milw
08-01-2013, 06:38 PM
this isn't just a failed plan. this is a unadulterated complete collapse and disaster. its like asking the guy who engineered the Exxon Valdez disaster to take charge of the cleanup

:rolleyes:

If the Sox decide they need to clean house top to bottom, I wouldn't question that at all. But anyone who pins this on Rick Hahn is simply scapegoating.

kobo
08-01-2013, 06:42 PM
KW is in charge of cleaning this up? News to me.

WSox597
08-01-2013, 06:48 PM
The only guy who would take on Rios AND Dunn has already done so.

The other guy who might have done so, is currently unemployed and used to work 8 miles north.

Hopefully the Rangers will need Rios. We're stuck with Dunn until his contract is up I'm afraid.

They're going to need to re-name the Mendoza line pretty soon.

SI1020
08-01-2013, 06:50 PM
:rolleyes:

If the Sox decide they need to clean house top to bottom, I wouldn't question that at all. But anyone who pins this on Rick Hahn is simply scapegoating. I'm just not in a position to know how much all of this mess has Hahn's fingerprints on it. Maybe little if anything to be sure but I wouldn't assume it. For all I know he was on board with the organizational philosophy and major moves made in recent years. At this point, for a variety of reasons I've lost all faith in current ownership and management. I mean thanks for 05 it was great, but now the ship has run aground.

amsteel
08-01-2013, 06:56 PM
If the Sox are serious about change Ventura and Konerko won't be back. For me that'll be the gage if they actually are embracing a change in philosophy.

captain54
08-01-2013, 07:24 PM

This gets pinned on the organization. Hahn is just a footsoldier.. No one will ever really know the extent to which Reinsdorf has his fingerprints on this mess. Im just sayin.

WhiteSox5187
08-01-2013, 07:44 PM

This gets pinned on the organization. Hahn is just a footsoldier.. No one will ever really know the extent to which Reinsdorf has his fingerprints on this mess. Im just sayin.

What's irritating about the White Sox - and this might be true with every organization - is that you don't know who has final say in any matter. Is it the GM? Or is it the team president who was the GM's former boss? Or is it Jerry? No one knows.

If Hahn is in charge then I think you could make a compelling argument that the White Sox do in fact have a plan in place and perhaps it is a new plan so growing pains should be expected. If it's Kenny, I have a hard time believing that a new plan is in place since he is the guy responsible for putting us in the situation we are currently in. If it's Jerry, who the hell knows what's going on.

Noneck
08-01-2013, 09:38 PM
If Hahn is in charge then I think you could make a compelling argument that the White Sox do in fact have a plan in place and perhaps it is a new plan so growing pains should be expected. If it's Kenny, I have a hard time believing that a new plan is in place since he is the guy responsible for putting us in the situation we are currently in. If it's Jerry, who the hell knows what's going on.

I know you think Williams is responsible for the mess the Sox are in but if in fact Reinsdorf is calling most of the shots, Williams has to get a slide. Remember what Michael Reinsdorf said about his fathers involvement in the team, "He is incredibly involved in the operations."

Stanley
08-01-2013, 10:05 PM
Tank really should have been traded after last season. That's the kind of move a great GM would make, or at least a smart one. You need to realize your minor league system is in shambles and that Tank had a solid but unrepeatable year, then you ship him to a team willing to take a chance on him or is desperate for a power bat. It's too bad these jokers can't recognize a players true potential or fix the problematic talent they have to save their life so we are stuck watching Tank busting a rib swinging for the fence every time up.

Boondock Saint
08-01-2013, 10:17 PM
Tank really should have been traded after last season. That's the kind of move a great GM would make, or at least a smart one. You need to realize your minor league system is in shambles and that Tank had a solid but unrepeatable year, then you ship him to a team willing to take a chance on him or is desperate for a power bat. It's too bad these jokers can't recognize a players true potential or fix the problematic talent they have to save their life so we are stuck watching Tank busting a rib swinging for the fence every time up.

Hindsight at its finest.

Yeah, every GM trades a 23 year old who just hit 25 HR's and had 75 RBI in his first full season as a pro because it's so "unrepeatable".

Seriously, that post is completely full of it.

Brewski
08-02-2013, 12:19 AM
I know you think Williams is responsible for the mess the Sox are in but if in fact Reinsdorf is calling most of the shots, Williams has to get a slide. Remember what Michael Reinsdorf said about his fathers involvement in the team, "He is incredibly involved in the operations."

I've been looking all over for those "In Jerry We Trust" threads and the ones comparing Jerry to Chuck Norris, but I'm having trouble finding them.

TheVulture
08-02-2013, 01:24 PM
Rios would have been traded if he hadn't openly started dogging it 4 or 6 weeks ago, IMO. I think he deliberately sabotaged a trade, I really do. If he continued to play like he played last year and the first two months of this season, someone would have picked him up. There's a lot of contenders not getting much production out of at least one OF spot.

JB98
08-02-2013, 01:50 PM
Rios would have been traded if he hadn't openly started dogging it 4 or 6 weeks ago, IMO. I think he deliberately sabotaged a trade, I really do. If he continued to play like he played last year and the first two months of this season, someone would have picked him up. There's a lot of contenders not getting much production out of at least one OF spot.

What motivation would he have to do that?

SouthSideMike
08-02-2013, 02:00 PM

This is ridiculous. Last year was the first year he had more than 500 PAs at the major league level. What would you expect a team to give up for him, exactly? No team is giving you anything resembling a top prospect for a guy who's only had one full year in MLB and two prior years of only a little over 100 PAs each.

Makes way more sense to keep him through his contract and see if he can sustain those results. He may not be adding a ton of value statistically, but one or two A ball scrubs from a trade isn't adding any and probably never would.

Boondock Saint
08-02-2013, 02:06 PM

Answer- less than none.

kittle42
08-02-2013, 02:10 PM

They also never should have signed John Danks to an extension because that didn't work out. They also should never have hired Robin Ventura because that didn't work out. They also should not have relied on Tyler Flowers because that didn't work out.

What a bunch of jokers!

See how easy this is?

XplodingScorbord
08-02-2013, 02:31 PM
This board bats 1.000 in hindsight brilliance. Just wait until Tank figures it out and hits .285 with 25 homers, everyone here will love him. Or say the same for Garcia, with all the people who think we got fleeced for Peavy. I wake up and thank God every morning that no one who posts here, myself included, is the GM of the team I love. Will Hahn (or did Kenny) do everything right? No, but neither does any team's GM. Good lord, people, try to at least enjoy the ride. We won the World Series all of eight years ago.

WhiteSox5187
08-02-2013, 02:52 PM
They also never should have signed John Danks to an extension because that didn't work out. They also should never have hired Robin Ventura because that didn't work out. They also should not have relied on Tyler Flowers because that didn't work out.

What a bunch of jokers!

See how easy this is?

Well, there were a couple of valid of reasons as to why they shouldn't have hired Ventura or relied on Flowers. The only two deals that you can look back on with hindsight and say they shouldn't have done are the Danks extension and the Dunn signing. I think everyone thought that those were good signings at the time though.

TheVulture
08-02-2013, 03:06 PM

I don't know, but he started tanking it around the same time he started repeatedly stating he didn't want to be traded.

Milw
08-02-2013, 03:26 PM
Well, there were a couple of valid of reasons as to why they shouldn't have hired Ventura or relied on Flowers. The only two deals that you can look back on with hindsight and say they shouldn't have done are the Danks extension and the Dunn signing. I think everyone thought that those were good signings at the time though.
I was all about the Danks extension, but I shook my head at the Dunn signing. But even I didn't expect him to be anywhere near this bad.

But to the larger point: Nobody here is smarter than the actual folks in charge. Or, perhaps more accurately, nobody here has access to the wealth of data and scouting reports that the front office does. We can judge Kenny, Hahn and friends by their entire body of work, but judging any given move is unfair.

I'm all for making some major organizational changes, but the mob would sound a lot more reasonable if we put away the pitchforks and tried to examine how we got where we did with some semblance of objectivity.

Churros, or something.

JB98
08-02-2013, 04:52 PM
I don't know, but he started tanking it around the same time he started repeatedly stating he didn't want to be traded.

I don't buy it. Not for one second. There have been times Rios has looked lazy and disinterested in previous seasons too. That goes all the way back to his days in Toronto. I think that's just how he is.

TaylorStSox
08-02-2013, 05:57 PM

LOL. This is such bull****.

Shoeless
08-03-2013, 11:03 PM
Yeah punishment for us. Garcia better at least be called up in September.

Dude should play ASAP

sunofgold
08-03-2013, 11:42 PM
Any team want a Paul Konerko, even just for their bench. This could be the last season . Rather see him in a pennant race than in last place with us. Trade him for a low level prospect.

In theory he could re-sign with us next year. But I really wouldn't want to see that. Lol. How about PK as manager?

asindc
08-04-2013, 09:27 AM
Any team want a Paul Konerko, even just for their bench. This could be the last season . Rather see him in a pennant race than in last place with us. Trade him for a low level prospect.

In theory he could re-sign with us next year. But I really wouldn't want to see that. Lol. How about PK as manager?

Pauly is done, and everyone knows it, including him.

russ99
08-04-2013, 10:38 AM
This is ridiculous. Last year was the first year he had more than 500 PAs at the major league level. What would you expect a team to give up for him, exactly? No team is giving you anything resembling a top prospect for a guy who's only had one full year in MLB and two prior years of only a little over 100 PAs each.

Makes way more sense to keep him through his contract and see if he can sustain those results. He may not be adding a ton of value statistically, but one or two A ball scrubs from a trade isn't adding any and probably never would.

I pushed the idea to sell high on Viciedo last offseason and was slammed for it.

Lots of teams would pay for power potential. May not be a top prospect, cause as we saw at the deadline, teams don't want to deal those anymore except for the best players. But we could add some good pieces to our system.

Also the one full year excuse for Viciedo (it was parts of three seasons and close to 1000 ABs) to justify his lack of improvement is now way past it's sell date.

He's regressed badly in his supposed breakout season and his contract will continue to go higher. Time to cut bait.

Noneck
08-04-2013, 11:04 AM

Maybe you are thinking what the Sox did for Thome, sending him to the dodgers. At that time Thome could still get around on a fastball, Paul cant anymore. Plus I think Thomes clubhouse presence is different than Pauls. No one would want Paul now.

Tragg
08-04-2013, 11:30 AM
I don't buy it. Not for one second. There have been times Rios has looked lazy and disinterested in previous seasons too. That goes all the way back to his days in Toronto. I think that's just how he is.

I don't think he intentionally dogs it. I think his wanting to stay in Chicago is fine and, in itself, doesn't hurt his marketability. But he seems to send a message in his comments and demeanor that he can take or leave winning.
I heard a Rosenthal comment that he's 4th among right fielders in WAR over the last 1.5 years and his salary is less than several guys below him.
There's some reason we can't move this guy.

sunofgold
08-04-2013, 12:22 PM
Maybe you are thinking what the Sox did for Thome, sending him to the dodgers. At that time Thome could still get around on a fastball, Paul cant anymore. Plus I think Thomes clubhouse presence is different than Pauls. No one would want Paul now.

Yes. If PK can get in a little bit of a hitting streak, you never know. Notice how I said bench player. In certain match-ups, PK could help a team. Has to be better than some bench players out there. Heck, the little bridge was starting for the Yankees. Lol.

Milw
08-04-2013, 12:36 PM
I don't think he intentionally dogs it. I think his wanting to stay in Chicago is fine and, in itself, doesn't hurt his marketability. But he seems to send a message in his comments and demeanor that he can take or leave winning.
I heard a Rosenthal comment that he's 4th among right fielders in WAR over the last 1.5 years and his salary is less than several guys below him.
There's some reason we can't move this guy.

I think it just comes down to the Sox believing his return would be greater in the offseason. I don't necessarily think they're wrong about that.

Noneck
08-04-2013, 12:39 PM
Yes. If PK can get in a little bit of a hitting streak, you never know. Notice how I said bench player. In certain match-ups, PK could help a team. Has to be better than some bench players out there. Heck, the little bridge was starting for the Yankees. Lol.

Lillbridge has more bench value than Paul. He can play every position and pinchrun. Neither can hit though.