PDA

View Full Version : Scoreboard Comparisons

lpneck
07-29-2013, 10:20 AM
The marketing thread has some discussions of scoreboards. I thought it might be of value to look at some pictures and compare. These are the AL Central scoreboards. One thing to note is that for all the scoreboards on there (except US Cellular Field), the entire board can be used for HD Video when needed.

AL Central:
Comerica Park
http://www.uni-watch.com/wp-content/uploads/Screen-shot-2013-04-09-at-10.45.49-PM.png

Progressive Field:
http://burnhambp.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/cleveland-scoreboard.jpg

Kaufmann Stadium:
http://roundtripper.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/dsc_0322.jpg

Target Field:
http://image2.stadiumjourney.com/images/stadiums/17_Target_Field_Scoreboard.jpg

US Cellular Field (left field):
http://www.mysports-today.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/white-sox-beat-rays-mark-buehrle-perfect-game3.jpg

US Cellular Field (center field):
http://1.cdn.nhle.com/blackhawks/images/upload/gallery/2011/09/scoreboard_slide.jpg

TomBradley72
07-29-2013, 12:41 PM
My wishlist would be for a complete overhaul of the concourse area (starting to the right of the fundamentals area over to the Stadium Club)- while keeping the Fan Deck and statues, etc.

Replace the "tinker toy" look with a look incorporating the "arches" from the old park and the outside of the current park.

Elminate the "billboard" look- still have space for ads- but incorporate in a way that looks better.

Add a single, contemporary scoreboard like the ones shown above- ideally incorporating some of the look of the old giant CF scoreboard at the old park.

Would prob need to be funded by a sponsor or a new naming rights deal-

LITTLE NELL
07-29-2013, 01:03 PM
My wishlist would be for a complete overhaul of the concourse area (starting to the right of the fundamentals area over to the Stadium Club)- while keeping the Fan Deck and statues, etc.

Replace the "tinker toy" look with a look incorporating the "arches" from the old park and the outside of the current park.

Elminate the "billboard" look- still have space for ads- but incorporate in a way that looks better.

Add a single, contemporary scoreboard like the ones shown above- ideally incorporating some of the look of the old giant CF scoreboard at the old park.

Would prob need to be funded by a sponsor or a new naming rights deal-

All of it sounds good to me especially the arches.

skobabe8
07-29-2013, 01:46 PM
Love the Toronto Blue Jays logo at Comerica Park. :scratch:

BleacherBandit
07-29-2013, 01:53 PM
yeesh- how old is that photo from Kauffman? Mark Grudzielanek and Ross Gload...

lpneck
07-29-2013, 02:05 PM

I saw that, too. That's funny.

iamkoza
07-29-2013, 02:08 PM
Did the ISFA pay for the other renovations at the park?

russ99
07-29-2013, 02:12 PM

As I recall Jerry paid for the other park renovations with the naming rights money.

doublem23
07-29-2013, 02:12 PM

I'm pretty sure that money came from U.S. Cellular when they bought the naming rights to the park

WLL1855
07-29-2013, 05:11 PM
yeesh- how old is that photo from Kauffman? Mark Grudzielanek and Ross Gload...

Butler looks like he's not even old enough to shave.

That aside, we are long overdue for a update to the main scoreboard. The out of town board looks tons better than the main board even.

comiskey2000
07-30-2013, 09:47 AM
Wow. Seeing the pictures side by side really makes it clear how inferior the scoreboards are at the Cell. It would be really nice to have something like the others. I'm sure the other new stadiums around the league (Cin, Philly, Wash etc.) have similar fancy boards.

skobabe8
07-30-2013, 09:58 AM
Wow. Seeing the pictures side by side really makes it clear how inferior the scoreboards are at the Cell. It would be really nice to have something like the others. I'm sure the other new stadiums around the league (Cin, Philly, Wash etc.) have similar fancy boards.

This should answer your question. It's a pretty sad graphic.

lpneck
07-30-2013, 10:02 AM
This should answer your question. It's a pretty sad graphic.

That's awesome information- great find.

skobabe8
08-01-2013, 03:33 PM
I like this graph of NFL video boards. Soldier Field ranks 25th.

http://content.clearchannel.com/cc-common/mlib/1020/05/1020_1369391560.jpg

WLL1855
08-01-2013, 05:14 PM
Wow. The west coast really has crap for their NFL teams.

tebman
08-01-2013, 09:53 PM

I don't think size matters as much as imagination (insert joke here). What made Veeck's original board so cool was its showmanship. The board's Sox-O-Gram, the pitch timer above the clock, the sound effects, and of course the home-run eruptions were so novel, so out there, that it set a new standard in sports entertainment. The current display is a billboard with Christmas lights flickering around it.

The picture below shows the 70's version of Veeck's board in full home-run frenzy. Random, bright light patterns, Roman candles at the top, and whooping sound effects gave us all a laugh. Veeck added the pinwheels in 1976 but it was otherwise unchanged from 1960.

The Marlins had the right idea with their goofy jumping porpoise contraption, but it was executed poorly. I've got to believe there's a electronic sign designer and a deep-pocketed sponsor somewhere who could come up with an over-the-top display that would be both contemporary and unabashedly goofy like Veeck's was in 1960. Large and sharp video boards are a requirement now, but there's so much more that could be done around it. During the game give us the line score, the ball/strike/out count, and the hitters stats. Between innings give us kiss cams, dancing peanuts, or whatever. But after a home run give us a show, because the White Sox invented it and the White Sox should own it.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxuP8pGbzJxSSxLU-http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxuP8pGbzJxSSxLU-LC1qMVamlk3t5kh5oypuWYAyhL0-dL8W5

soxnut67
08-01-2013, 10:08 PM
I don't think size matters as much as imagination (insert joke here). What made Veeck's original board so cool was its showmanship. The board's Sox-O-Gram, the pitch timer above the clock, the sound effects, and of course the home-run eruptions were so novel, so out there, that it set a new standard in sports entertainment. The current display is a billboard with Christmas lights flickering around it.

The picture below shows the 70's version of Veeck's board in full home-run frenzy. Random, bright light patterns, Roman candles at the top, and whooping sound effects gave us all a laugh. Veeck added the pinwheels in 1976 but it was otherwise unchanged from 1960.

The Marlins had the right idea with their goofy jumping porpoise contraption, but it was executed poorly. I've got to believe there's a electronic sign designer and a deep-pocketed sponsor somewhere who could come up with an over-the-top display that would be both contemporary and unabashedly goofy like Veeck's was in 1960. Large and sharp video boards are a requirement now, but there's so much more that could be done around it. During the game give us the line score, the ball/strike/out count, and the hitters stats. Between innings give us kiss cams, dancing peanuts, or whatever. But after a home run give us a show, because the White Sox invented it and the White Sox should own it.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxuP8pGbzJxSSxLU-http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxuP8pGbzJxSSxLU-LC1qMVamlk3t5kh5oypuWYAyhL0-dL8W5

exactly!!!!!!!!

soxnut67
08-01-2013, 10:19 PM
I emailed Brooks about 2 years ago on the topic of replacing the board. he said that 75% of mlb boards would have to be modernized before ours would be remodeled.

And he has said that he had been keeping tabs on the situation.

And since then I have emailed him now and again about the situation and he would respond that they are not there yet.

The last time I emailed him about it, I included how I liked Family Sundays, how much I thought the team was awful,and how much i disliked the new intro video,

Didn't respond back to me, and it's the first time he's never responded back. And I've basically been in correspondence with him since his first month on the job.

So I must've hit a nerve. Sure would like to know what's going on because it's time for a new board.

Mr. Jinx
08-01-2013, 10:58 PM
I emailed Brooks about 2 years ago on the topic of replacing the board. he said that 75% of mlb boards would have to be modernized before ours would be remodeled.

And since then I have emailed him now and again about the situation and he would respond that they are not there yet.

The last time I emailed him about it, I included how I liked Family Sundays, how much I thought the team was awful,and how much i disliked the new intro video,

Didn't respond back to me, and it's the first time he's never responded back. And I've basically been in correspondence with him since his first month on the job.

So I must've hit a nerve. Sure would like to know what's going on because it's time for a new board.

Or maybe he's just sick of you asking the same question over and over?

Boondock Saint
08-01-2013, 11:04 PM

Then maybe he shouldn't be in marketing.

soxnut67
08-01-2013, 11:35 PM

I've asked him that question twice over the last 2-1/2 yrs and I only email him about 3 times a year.

skobabe8
08-02-2013, 01:00 PM
But after a home run give us a show, because the White Sox invented it and the White Sox should own it.

THIS.

Last year I had a negative incident at the park. I emailed Brooks about it and he kind of blew it off. The first few years he was here he would bend over backwards to remedy any kind of issue. i'm not looking for miracles, but I was disappointed with his response.

GABP
08-02-2013, 01:44 PM
Maybe it's time to stop bugging Brooks about every possible little issue you've had. He has enough on his plate without getting whiny emails from fans

TomBradley72
08-02-2013, 02:46 PM
Maybe it's time to stop bugging Brooks about every possible little issue you've had. He has enough on his plate without getting whiny emails from fans

I lead a $220M operation with 80+ employees and another 100 or so contractors- we're under a lot more pressure than Brooks is as he tries to create the next mediocre commercial or rehashing Mullett Night way past it's useful life.

I'm responsible to respond to all emails and calls from my "whiny" customers.

He used to and it was impressive. But now his responses can be summarized as:

Don't blame us/me, blame the (insert here)- SportsService, the city, the stadium authority, etc. OR
You and your fellow White Sox fans are wrong, because my survey or social media data says.....

skobabe8
08-02-2013, 03:19 PM

^^Double facepalm.

Because sometimes the single just doesn't cut it.

haganaga
08-02-2013, 04:53 PM
I lead a $220M operation with 80+ employees and another 100 or so contractors- we're under a lot more pressure than Brooks is as he tries to create the next mediocre commercial or rehashing Mullett Night way past it's useful life.

Don't blame us/me, blame the (insert here)- SportsService, the city, the stadium authority, etc. OR
You and your fellow White Sox fans are wrong, because my survey or social media data says.....

Do you drive a Dodge Stratus? (sorry, couldn't resist :tongue: )

Mr. Jinx
08-02-2013, 05:36 PM

I'm not defending Brooks here, but I don't think your comparison holds any water. Unless you are in the entertainment industry and have millions of customers annually I fail to see how your experiences are all that related.

TomBradley72
08-02-2013, 06:37 PM
Do you drive a Dodge Stratus? (sorry, couldn't resist :tongue: )

Well played sir!

Just for that- you need to come in Saturday to run the TPS reports-

TomBradley72
08-02-2013, 06:41 PM
I'm not defending Brooks here, but I don't think your comparison holds any water. Unless you are in the entertainment industry and have millions of customers annually I fail to see how your experiences are all that related.

Maybe- we have thousands of customers (researchers, surgeons, scientists)- not millions- and I don't have any idea how many emails Brooks receives from knuckleheads like us.

But he used to be responsive and open to feedback and input- if it was constructively delivered- that's changed in the last year.

He's been in the job for 9-10 years- that's a long time for anyone- probably time for a change-

LoveYourSuit
08-02-2013, 07:42 PM

They were playing the Blue Jays, no?

soxnut67
08-02-2013, 10:23 PM
well anyway, this is supposed to be on the subject of the scoreboard. does anyone here have the skill and the time to come up with a concept that they could post?

Steelrod
08-03-2013, 01:50 AM
Maybe- we have thousands of customers (researchers, surgeons, scientists)- not millions- and I don't have any idea how many emails Brooks receives from knuckleheads like us.

But he used to be responsive and open to feedback and input- if it was constructively delivered- that's changed in the last year.

He's been in the job for 9-10 years- that's a long time for anyone- probably time for a change-
You would expect something. He has basically had reduced ticket sales during each of his years with the Sox. He may be working harder, but the results aren't there.

skobabe8
08-06-2013, 08:38 AM
They were playing the Blue Jays, no?

They were. But they displayed a Yankees logo on the scoreboard.