PDA

View Full Version : Sox 2014 Payroll?

soxfanreggie
07-27-2013, 12:37 PM
What do you think the Sox payroll will be in 2014?

Considering who we may trade (Peavy, Rios, Ramirez) and who is coming off the books (Konerko, Crain, and Floyd), and Thornton already off the books, what do you think the team is going to look like next year?

With a lot of guys playing at or near the minimum or cheap rental veterans we may bring in, I am thinking our payroll could be below $75 million for the first time since 2004.

soltrain21
07-27-2013, 01:11 PM
I think it'll be around 85 or 90.

Noneck
07-27-2013, 06:56 PM
With a lot of guys playing at or near the minimum or cheap rental veterans we may bring in, I am thinking our payroll could be below $75 million for the first time since 2004.

I think so also.

LITTLE NELL
07-27-2013, 07:03 PM
All the depends on the direction the club wants to go. If they go with a kids can play rebuild it could be really low.

DSpivack
07-27-2013, 07:24 PM
I think it'll be around 85 or 90.

I agree. Somewhere around 90-95 million seems most likely to me.

russ99
07-28-2013, 09:44 AM
I agree. Somewhere around 90-95 million seems most likely to me.

According to Cot's we're committed to $75.75M next year with Paul, Crain, Floyd and Wise as FAs, with Beckham and DeAza hitting Arb 2, Flowers hitting Arb 1 and a minimal chance that Viciedo hits Arb as a super two.

Depending on who we can deal in the next week, that could get considerably lower, and after this poor season I could see Jerry cutting down to $75-85 overall.

voodoochile
07-28-2013, 10:31 AM
There is no reason to go that low. They will easily be able to afford $100M again. If they go that low the ownership group will be making a huge windfall next year and JR has said they run at even most years (I don't believe that, but if he goes this low it will be easy to prove he's lying)>

If they go that low look for attendance season ticket sales to be around the 1998 level...

KingXerxes
07-29-2013, 10:25 AM
(I didn't quite know where to post this, but didn't want to start a new thread, so it's here.)

Is anybody else curious as to why the White Sox have only completed one trade thus far with the deadline approaching?

I'm not saying this is a good or bad thing, but with so many players "on the block" I would have thought by now they would have completed more than just the Thornton deal. As a matter of fact, the entire trading season has been pretty slow this year all around the majors.

Everybody keeps hearing rumors about all the interest in Peavy with five teams interested, but it is a bit worrisome that none of those five teams has - as of yet - put out a strong enough offer (relative to the other bidders) to close the deal. We'll see I guess.

voodoochile
07-29-2013, 10:30 AM
(I didn't quite know where to post this, but didn't want to start a new thread, so it's here.)

Is anybody else curious as to why the White Sox have only completed one trade thus far with the deadline approaching?

I'm not saying this is a good or bad thing, but with so many players "on the block" I would have thought by now they would have completed more than just the Thornton deal. As a matter of fact, the entire trading season has been pretty slow this year all around the majors.

Everybody keeps hearing rumors about all the interest in Peavy with five teams interested, but it is a bit worrisome that none of those five teams has - as of yet - put out a strong enough offer (relative to the other bidders) to close the deal. We'll see I guess.

Well the Sox may be looking at their starting rotation and figuring they could make a run at the division next year with a few more position players added through free agency. Not sure I agree with that, but Sale, Peavy, Danks, Quintana and Santiago is really strong starting 5 especially with Danks a full year removed from surgery.

That's a starting 5 that screams playoff contender. That means they aren't willing to just hand guys away to cut payroll and are looking for knock my socks off offers and they should have some money to spend...

Tragg
07-29-2013, 10:37 AM
Well the Sox may be looking at their starting rotation and figuring they could make a run at the division next year with a few more position players added through free agency. Not sure I agree with that, but Sale, Peavy, Danks, Quintana and Santiago is really strong starting 5 especially with Danks a full year removed from surgery.

That's a starting 5 that screams playoff contender. That means they aren't willing to just hand guys away to cut payroll and are looking for knock my socks off offers and they should have some money to spend...

Of course, we have that starting 5 now plus Peavy and while I realize we have a lot of other problems, we're one of the worst teams in baseball. The Sox are going to have to do some wheeling and dealing, Hemond style, to contend fairly quickly.
If the Sox really are looking for pitching prospects, it might mean that they are going to deal one of the young starters to get position players in here. Hopefully we get young position players, either by trade or FA, not yet another group of past their prime veterans Kenny acquired so often.

KingXerxes
07-29-2013, 11:04 AM

If that's the plan then why shop Peavy at all? I realize there's no harm in looking, but it's a bit concerning when no clear path has been undertaken.

It's clear they're not going to just be dumping salary (they'd be well into that by now), and nobody ever makes a trade where they think they're getting robbed - I just find the rather low level of activity to be odd. I agree starting pitching is their strength, and if that's the way they're going (which I believe is the right path) then dump salary for a couple of off season signings - but that hasn't happened.

Realizing none of us know exactly what the plan is and all we can do is guess , I'm just getting a little worried the White Sox may be caught in the middle of two plans.

captain54
07-29-2013, 11:42 AM
JR has said they run at even most years (I don't believe that, but if he goes this low it will be easy to prove he's lying)>

People wonder why Sox fans that have been around for a while have such a negative view of JR. If the franchise was running at break even why in hell would an intelligent and savvy businessman like JR even bother? I never have and never will believe one word of what I read quoted from JR, and there are many who feel the same. That is a big problem.

voodoochile
07-29-2013, 12:04 PM
People wonder why Sox fans that have been around for a while have such a negative view of JR. If the franchise was running at break even why in hell would an intelligent and savvy businessman like JR even bother? I never have and never will believe one word of what I read quoted from JR, and there are many who feel the same. That is a big problem.

Well it might well be that the revenue from the team alone is break even, but (for example) the parking revenue isn't counted as part of the team money. I would bet there are other revenue streams that don't count as part of that money also that actually are (jersey sales, etc.).

So the team can show a paper break even bottom line and the investors can still be making money. Not only that, but the team has gone from a $20M investment to a $250 (more?) net value, so every single person in the ownership group has seen a 12X growth in their initial investment since 1981. That's nice return anyway you slice it.

That's before factoring in any pay they might see from being on the board of directors which can be factored in to the costs that cause the team "break even". There might even be "management bonuses" paid yearly.

Like I said, I don't believe the statement the team doesn't make money, I just think they use creative accounting tricks to make it look that way.

voodoochile
07-29-2013, 12:08 PM
If that's the plan then why shop Peavy at all? I realize there's no harm in looking, but it's a bit concerning when no clear path has been undertaken.

It's clear they're not going to just be dumping salary (they'd be well into that by now), and nobody ever makes a trade where they think they're getting robbed - I just find the rather low level of activity to be odd. I agree starting pitching is their strength, and if that's the way they're going (which I believe is the right path) then dump salary for a couple of off season signings - but that hasn't happened.

Realizing none of us know exactly what the plan is and all we can do is guess , I'm just getting a little worried the White Sox may be caught in the middle of two plans.

Why not shop people? If someone blows you away with an amazing offer you take it. If not then the team has a great starting pitching staff to build around. Besides they can always deal people this off season. I don't think anyone who is being shopped is a pure FA other than Crain.

captain54
07-29-2013, 01:12 PM
Like I said, I don't believe the statement the team doesn't make money, I just think they use creative accounting tricks to make it look that way.

I believe you are correct. Then why even make a public statement to the effect of this is not a money making venture for JR? It makes it sound as though they are doing the fans a favor by keeping the team afloat. Thats total BS.

Moses_Scurry
07-29-2013, 01:25 PM
I always thought the big allure to owning a sports franchise is the increase in value over time. JR might not make a ton of money on a season-to-season basis, but:

1. He probably does make a ton of money with his other business ventures

and

2. The franchise is probably worth $600 million+ now, compared to the $20 million or whatever he bought it for.

voodoochile
07-29-2013, 01:51 PM
I believe you are correct. Then why even make a public statement to the effect of this is not a money making venture for JR? It makes it sound as though they are doing the fans a favor by keeping the team afloat. Thats total BS.

That's the way MLB does business. It's hardly unique to JR...

KingXerxes
07-29-2013, 01:53 PM
Why not shop people? If someone blows you away with an amazing offer you take it. If not then the team has a great starting pitching staff to build around. Besides they can always deal people this off season. I don't think anyone who is being shopped is a pure FA other than Crain.

I don't think anything is wrong with seeing what the market thinks of your players, but that approach on its own isn't a plan.

Are they going with the status quo on pitching for next year, or are they not? Bulking up the farm system or not? Obviously only the White Sox brass knows that answer. My point is - from a fan's perspective - there are almost no tea leaves to read.

voodoochile
07-29-2013, 02:15 PM
I don't think anything is wrong with seeing what the market thinks of your players, but that approach on its own isn't a plan.

Are they going with the status quo on pitching for next year, or are they not? Bulking up the farm system or not? Obviously only the White Sox brass knows that answer. My point is - from a fan's perspective - there are almost no tea leaves to read.

Wait 2 days and you'll at least have a partial answer.

That answer will be - didn't get an offer that makes the cut, maybe we will on a waiver trade or maybe we'll trade someone during the off season or maybe we'll add a few pieces and go back at it next year.

Enjoy your tea leaves...:tongue:

KingXerxes
07-29-2013, 02:53 PM
Enjoy your tea leaves...:tongue:

The tea leaves are about all that's left..........unfortunately.