PDA

View Full Version : Phillies sign Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez

doublem23
07-27-2013, 06:39 AM
Deal may be worth as much as $60 million

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/source--phillies--sp-miguel-alfredo-gonzalez-reach-six-year-deal-in--60m-range-022141531.html

DumpJerry
07-27-2013, 09:04 AM
M-Gon? Wow!

SI1020
07-27-2013, 09:26 AM
I guess I'm not as on top of things in baseball as I used to be. Never heard of the guy. Now I know.

doublem23
07-27-2013, 09:32 AM
I guess I'm not as on top of things in baseball as I used to be. Never heard of the guy. Now I know.

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself, he's a Cuban defector who hasn't pitched an inning of organized professional baseball, but scouts who have seen his workouts in Mexico have been absolutely floored by his arm.

Most notable around these parts because Theo and the Cubs were reported to be one of his main suitors.

CoopaLoop
07-27-2013, 10:18 AM
I would think the Phillies should be selling. This guy is ready to pitch in the bigs right now. Didn't expect them to be the ones to nab him.

PalehosePlanet
07-27-2013, 10:59 AM
I would think the Phillies should be selling. This guy is ready to pitch in the bigs right now. Didn't expect them to be the ones to nab him.

It's a six year deal; more of a deal for the future. What difference does it make that they're out of it this year?

doublem23
07-27-2013, 12:55 PM

The Phillies desperately need an infusion of youth in their MLB roster, this is basically an instant upgrade.

I know it's hard for some people to imagine, but there are actually teams out there that don't want to bottom out and go through a hellish 5-10 year rebuild and prefer to try and be as competitive as possible every year.

Corlose 15
07-27-2013, 02:43 PM
Kind of like the White Sox the last 13 years?

CoopaLoop
07-27-2013, 02:45 PM
The Phillies desperately need an infusion of youth in their MLB roster, this is basically an instant upgrade.

I know it's hard for some people to imagine, but there are actually teams out there that don't want to bottom out and go through a hellish 5-10 year rebuild and prefer to try and be as competitive as possible every year.

Is this going to be a thing now? It's cute.

CoopaLoop
07-27-2013, 02:47 PM
It's a six year deal; more of a deal for the future. What difference does it make that they're out of it this year?

I just think 60 million is a lot to spend for a bad team in an area that is already a strength. They desperately need offensive talent.

DSpivack
07-27-2013, 03:24 PM
I just think 60 million is a lot to spend for a bad team in an area that is already a strength. They desperately need offensive talent.

I don't know how much of a strength it is going forward. Halladay might be done and they're listening to offers on Cliff Lee.

That said, is Gonzalez the answer and is he worth spending nearly $60 million on? That's a different issue.

JB98
07-27-2013, 11:37 PM

Yeah, Philadelphia has plenty of money. Why should they commit to a 5-10 year rebuild? They are acting like a big-market team. As well they should.

doublem23
07-27-2013, 11:40 PM
Is this going to be a thing now? It's cute.

Why else would you argue the Phillies should be selling?

34 Inch Stick
07-29-2013, 01:18 PM
three names= future serial killer

TheVulture
07-30-2013, 05:36 PM
Seems like that's is slightly above the international signing allotment for a middle of the pack team. I don't get it, I thought the worst teams were allotted less than 5 million for international signings.

TheVulture
07-30-2013, 05:41 PM
OK, i guess I should have read to the end:

"Because he is older than 23 and played more than three professional seasons in Cuba, Gonzalez was not subject to international bonus rules that severely limit how much money players can receive."