PDA

View Full Version : Steve Stone?

Brian26
07-26-2013, 07:13 PM
What happened? I may have missed it.

He left towards the end of the game on Wednesday night and hasn't been heard from since.

TaylorStSox
07-26-2013, 07:18 PM
Bathroom break.

LITTLE NELL
07-26-2013, 07:18 PM
Who is in the booth with Hawk tonight?

Wedema
07-26-2013, 07:19 PM
Who is in the booth with Hawk tonight?

Mike Huff is with Hawk for the second straight game as Stone is "under the weather".

LITTLE NELL
07-26-2013, 07:20 PM
Mike Huff is with Hawk for the second straight game as Stone is "under the weather".

Maybe he has that stomach virus that is going around.

Brian26
07-26-2013, 07:35 PM
Bathroom break.

Maybe he's still waiting in line at the concession stand for the turkey sandwich he ordered on Wednesday.

:duck:

Marqhead
07-26-2013, 07:56 PM
Oh my gosh is the new no doubt about it.

TaylorStSox
07-26-2013, 07:59 PM
Maybe he's still waiting in line at the concession stand for the turkey sandwich he ordered on Wednesday.

Well Brian26, there might be guys with bladders as big as Steve Stone's, but nobody has a bigger one.

SOXSINCE'70
07-26-2013, 08:22 PM

No he's waiting for Jorge Orta to turn a double play.36 years is a long time to wait. :)

Milw
07-26-2013, 09:09 PM
Well Brian26, there might be guys with bladders as big as Steve Stone's, but nobody has a bigger one.

i dunno about the National League, but sure as heck not in our league.

Brian26
07-26-2013, 09:13 PM
I'm trying to remember what night it was. I generally like Hawk, but he was an absolute jackass to Stone earlier this week. Stone was doing that obligatory small talk that the Sox brass is asking the announcers to do so that they seem like they actually like each other. So Stone asked Hawk if he thought it would be wise for MLB to move back the trading deadline. Hawk's verbatim reply....
:hawk
"Well, I'll ask you the same question right back. That's something you'd know more about than me."

I'm like LOL, what??? Hawk, aren't you the former GM? Really?

Stone waited about 20 seconds to respond. You could pretty much hear him telling Hawk to **** off in his head.

Brian26
07-26-2013, 09:27 PM
Oh my gosh is the new no doubt about it.

I notice Huff's other crutch is referencing random early 90s/late 80s players. I've listened for about the last 15 minutes...

"Remember Jim Edmonds?"

"Remember Molly (Paul Molitor)?"

"Remember Flash Gordon?"

"Remember Wettleland?"

Brian26
07-26-2013, 09:39 PM
"Remember Devon White?"

DSpivack
07-26-2013, 10:12 PM
"Remember Mike Huff?"

tstrike2000
07-26-2013, 10:22 PM

"Stone Pony has the stones to prove he's not feeling well, kidney stones. Dadgummit, I'm so funny you could pull a regular tee out of my behind with a pair of pliers."

tstrike2000
07-26-2013, 10:24 PM
"Remember Devon White?"

"The only person smoother than Devon was Ken Griffey Jr. He was as smooth as Yaz's behind."

ChiSoxGirl
07-26-2013, 10:26 PM

"The only person smoother than Devon was Ken Griffey Jr. He was as smooth as Yaz's behind."

:rolling:

slavko
07-26-2013, 10:52 PM
:)You guys are rolling tonight. Huff's voice reminds me of Wimpy. And he talks too much.

TDog
07-26-2013, 11:36 PM
I'm trying to remember what night it was. I generally like Hawk, but he was an absolute jackass to Stone earlier this week. Stone was doing that obligatory small talk that the Sox brass is asking the announcers to do so that they seem like they actually like each other. So Stone asked Hawk if he thought it would be wise for MLB to move back the trading deadline. Hawk's verbatim reply....
"Well, I'll ask you the same question right back. That's something you'd know more about than me."

I'm like LOL, what??? Hawk, aren't you the former GM? Really?

Stone waited about 20 seconds to respond. You could pretty much hear him telling Hawk to **** off in his head.

The timing of the trade deadline actually is a very good question to ask Harrelson. When he was a general manager, the deadline was June 15. One would expect the question would start an interesting discussion.

I believe the earlier deadline was better for baseball. I think it might be interesting to hear what a baseball man with Harrelson's resume has to say on the subject.

doublem23
07-27-2013, 06:26 AM
"Remember Mike Huff?"

:rolling:

Golden Sox
07-27-2013, 07:26 AM
Would anybody care if Stone didn't ever come back? I for one wouldn't. He's always rubbed me as if the White Sox franchise isn't good enough for him. He doesn't like being with the franchise that's not as popular as the bad guys on the Northside. His attitude is similar to Eddie Einhorns attitude. In the early 80's when JR and Einhorn bought the team, it bothered Einhorn that the Cubs were more popular than the White Sox. Einhorn was the one who wanted to move to Florida and when that didn't happen he sold most of his White Sox stock to JR. I never liked Stones arrogance as a player or announcer. Maybe he'll disappear from the scene like Einhorn did.

DumpJerry
07-27-2013, 09:11 AM
He got traded when Hahn got a call about "that former Cy Young winner you have that we like" from a GM.

Stanley
07-27-2013, 09:32 AM
My favorite was "Remember Cespedes in that home run derby?" This one palpably annoyed Hawk and he tried to ignore it but reluctantly responded 5 seconds later with a "...yep" or something.

soxfanreggie
07-27-2013, 11:18 AM
Would anybody care if Stone didn't ever come back? I for one wouldn't. He's always rubbed me as if the White Sox franchise isn't good enough for him. He doesn't like being with the franchise that's not as popular as the bad guys on the Northside. His attitude is similar to Eddie Einhorns attitude. In the early 80's when JR and Einhorn bought the team, it bothered Einhorn that the Cubs were more popular than the White Sox. Einhorn was the one who wanted to move to Florida and when that didn't happen he sold most of his White Sox stock to JR. I never liked Stones arrogance as a player or announcer. Maybe he'll disappear from the scene like Einhorn did.

I like Stone. I'd rather Hawk retire and keep Stone or move Stone back to radio and jettison DJ (hopefully both Farmer and DJ). We have the worst radio team in baseball.

dwalteroo
07-27-2013, 11:45 AM
I like Stone. I'd rather Hawk retire and keep Stone or move Stone back to radio and jettison DJ (hopefully both Farmer and DJ). We have the worst radio team in baseball.

THIS. I've loved Hawk through the years but its time he retired and the Sox reboot their franchise a bit. Stone and a new voice on TV would be great.

It's time to make changes throughout the organization, not just on the field. Hell, get rid of Thunderstruck, change the uniforms, change everything.

Brian26
07-27-2013, 11:58 AM
It's time to make changes throughout the organization, not just on the field. Hell, get rid of Thunderstruck, change the uniforms, change everything.

The uniforms are fine. That's like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

TaylorStSox
07-27-2013, 12:04 PM
The uniforms are fine. That's like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I still like the uniforms, but they're stale. They sell well though.

I'd be in favor of an organizational reboot. Retire Hawk, PK, the uniforms, absolutely get rid of Thunderstruck and start over.

Stanley
07-27-2013, 12:05 PM
THIS. I've loved Hawk through the years but its time he retired and the Sox reboot their franchise a bit. Stone and a new voice on TV would be great.

I've wanted a uniform change for a few years now. The current ones are pretty crap.

TaylorStSox
07-27-2013, 12:09 PM
It's not like we're the Yankees and need to keep the uniforms. We're known for changing uniforms.

WLL1855
07-27-2013, 12:26 PM
I've wanted a uniform change for a few years now. The current ones are pretty crap.

Which current ones? The home whites? The road grays? The (formerly Sunday) blacks? The throwbacks? They aren't all terrible. At least to me.

I guess I'd be fine with trying something new as long as it didn't stray too far from tradition. A rework of the the '59 uniforms would be pretty sweet. I like the black jerseys but wouldn't mind cutting down on how often they get worn.

Heff
07-27-2013, 12:30 PM
It's not like we're the Yankees and need to keep the uniforms. We're known for changing uniforms.

They've worn the same uniforms for over 20 years - the pinstripes and Sox script are timeless... absolutely no reason to change them just because the 2013 squad is crap.

JB98
07-27-2013, 12:48 PM
They've worn the same uniforms for over 20 years - the pinstripes and Sox script are timeless... absolutely no reason to change them just because the 2013 squad is crap.

Agreed. I like the uniforms. It's the players wearing them who suck.

LITTLE NELL
07-27-2013, 12:49 PM
Which current ones? The home whites? The road grays? The (formerly Sunday) blacks? The throwbacks? They aren't all terrible. At least to me.

I guess I'd be fine with trying something new as long as it didn't stray too far from tradition. A rework of the the '59 uniforms would be pretty sweet. I like the black jerseys but wouldn't mind cutting down on how often they get worn.

Please, no more uni changes in my lifetime.

skobabe8
07-27-2013, 02:10 PM
A lot of aspects within the organization need an overhaul. The uniforms are pretty far down the list.

WhiteSox5187
07-27-2013, 02:35 PM
Technically they did change the uniforms this year.

doublem23
07-28-2013, 01:50 PM

Stone is fine, I'm sure he'd be great if he wasn't burdened with his Southern fried, bumbling egomaniac of a partner.

Stone is back today, by the way

Oh yes, don't change the uniforms.

BainesHOF
07-28-2013, 03:56 PM
Keep the uniforms and make the coaching staff wear them. I hate that they just wear warmups. Be professional and wear the uniforms like the rest of the team.

Tragg
07-28-2013, 04:32 PM
Stone is good.
Hawk is just too much.
DJ is okay.
Farmer is tediously dull. Need a lot more energy out of a radio PBP guy.

soxfanreggie
07-28-2013, 05:04 PM
Stone is good.
Hawk is just too much.
DJ is okay.
Farmer is tediously dull. Need a lot more energy out of a radio PBP guy.

I agree with you that Farmer is dull. I think I rated him a bit higher before because how good Rooney was. I'd rather keep him than DJ. I cannot agree with you how DJ is ok. The guy does not have any idea how to call a game or get excited. He's a likable guy but just not anywhere close to good.

With how important TV and radio are this day and age, you need good commentators. Stone is a good one. The others are expendable.

mahagga73
07-28-2013, 05:32 PM

Really? I like DJ and Farmer . Seems likes many disagree , yet they are still going. I don't think Stone is as great as a lot of people think either . He seems to be more master of the obvious to me rather than a baseball genius like he is hailed as. Hawk is just completely insufferable with some of the pie in the sky scenarios he comes up with trying to convince himself this team isn't a lost cause.