PDA

View Full Version : Frank Thomas HOF/Steroids Article

Madvora
07-26-2013, 07:28 AM
http://www.nbcsports.com/baseball/mlb/joy-gone-hall-fame-debates

russ99
07-26-2013, 08:15 AM
What a joke of an article.

If for some ridiculously dumb reason Frank doesn't get in first ballot, it will be because of the usual writers biases: he didn't play in the East and he played DH, not because of steroids.

To assume otherwise is stirring up a hornets nest just for publicity's sake.

Tragg
07-26-2013, 08:21 AM

If for some ridiculously dumb reason Frank doesn't get in first ballot, it will be because of the usual writers biases: he didn't play in the East and he played DH, not because of steroids.

He was the best hitter of his generation. He's at least a grade better than those other names. No east coast bias will keep him out.

SI1020
07-26-2013, 08:49 AM

To assume otherwise is stirring up a hornets nest just for publicity's sake. I understand your point about what you think the reasons would be if Frank didn't make it on the first ballot. I disagree that the article was a joke. In an era when journalism of all kinds is at a low ebb, an article like this stands out. It is both thoughtful and high quality IMHO.

skobabe8
07-26-2013, 09:06 AM

I think the author was trying to say that right now the mindset of the writers is unpredictable. Of course he SHOULD get in, but no one knows whats going on anymore. He did a good job of making a case for Frank, even as a DH.

tstrike2000
07-26-2013, 09:11 AM
I don't think the article was a joke, but I do think it's just another one in the repetitive cycle of baseball steroid articles. There are several great players, some HOF caliber even if they decided to not use steroids. The Big Hurt unfortunately played during that era, so of course his name is mentioned. If he doesn't get in on the first ballot, I'll be really surprised.

Chez
07-26-2013, 09:14 AM
I understand your point about what you think the reasons would be if Frank didn't make it on the first ballot. I disagree that the article was a joke. In an era when journalism of all kinds is at a low ebb, an article like this stands out. It is both thoughtful and high quality IMHO.

I agree. Excellent article and exceedingly complimentary of Frank.

TaylorStSox
07-26-2013, 04:46 PM
If Frank doesn't get in on the first ballot, I might be mad enough to boycott baseball for the foreseeable future.

Pedro Martinez was a bad mother****er.

BRDSR
07-26-2013, 11:35 PM
I thought it was a good article...the writer doesn't argue that Thomas shouldn't be a first ballot HOFer...just that the current climate sheds a sliver of doubt on it. He's probably right, unfortunately.

More than anything, it got me thinking about trying to get to Cooperstown next year. Thomas was my hometown idol. But as a pitcher playing little league/high school baseball who was by no means overpowering, Maddux was my pitching idol. What fun it would be to see both of their inductions!

skobabe8
07-27-2013, 02:30 PM
I think I'm going to plan a trip to Cooperstown next year.

SaltyPretzel
07-27-2013, 06:02 PM
I think I'm going to plan a trip to Cooperstown next year.

Same here. I saw his first at bat in Milwaukee and it would be really cool to see him inducted into the HOF.

WLL1855
07-27-2013, 10:43 PM
I thought it was a good article...the writer doesn't argue that Thomas shouldn't be a first ballot HOFer...just that the current climate sheds a sliver of doubt on it. He's probably right, unfortunately.

More than anything, it got me thinking about trying to get to Cooperstown next year. Thomas was my hometown idol. But as a pitcher playing little league/high school baseball who was by no means overpowering, Maddux was my pitching idol. What fun it would be to see both of their inductions!

Your post did well in summing up the reality for Frank. The BBWAA has degenerated into a cesspool of local interests (perhaps it always has been) and few have the courage to vote their conscience without trying to forward some political agenda.

IMO, the Big Hurt should be a inducted in the Hall. If it takes a few years for that to happen, I can tolerate it. If it drags on more than that, then I'll be more jaded than I am now (if that is even possible).