PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 7.25 Verlander Clubbed, Sox Win 7-4

FielderJones
07-25-2013, 04:03 PM
Good to get back on the winning side. Verlander has really regressed when Tyler Flowers has two extra base hits.

:winner

palehosepub
07-25-2013, 04:05 PM
Peavey pitched well enough but Robin left him in too long. 118 pitches?
Nice to see Dayan hitting again maybe there's hope

Bucky F. Dent
07-25-2013, 04:08 PM
Strong outing from Jake! Now trade his ass!

Domeshot17
07-25-2013, 04:21 PM
Hopefully Robin's dumbass sending him back out to give up his 3rd homer does not cost us. Terrible decision.

kittle42
07-25-2013, 04:24 PM
Hopefully Robin's dumbass sending him back out to give up his 3rd homer does not cost us. Terrible decision.

The only decision that mattered in this game and he blew it, though I guarantee Peavy convinced him.

Domeshot17
07-25-2013, 04:26 PM
The only decision that mattered in this game and he blew it, though I guarantee Peavy convinced him.

Hopefully Scouts were watching velocity, movement and such and not just pure results. But when I saw that on game-cast, 3 homers in a game in his last start with us is not going to help at all

Tragg
07-25-2013, 04:37 PM
What did they think about 118 pitches?
Just another amateur move by Ventura. How many of these does Hahn need to see?

shingo10
07-25-2013, 04:52 PM

Not justifying the move at all but just speculating that they wanted Jake to get a nice ovation seeing as its probably the last game he pitches there. If so that is ridiculous but I don't know why else they would have done that.

Tragg
07-25-2013, 05:06 PM
Who was doing color commentary with Hawk today?

hawkjt
07-25-2013, 05:50 PM
Mike Huff was in for Stoney.

I agree that it made no sense to bring back Jake....I know jake talked Robin into it...but Hahn should have stepped in and demanded he sit.
Just dumb.

Still, Jake looked good,and that is what really counts.
Rosenthal says that Jake price tag of 24 million/next year/half is pricey,and that the Sox might have to pick up some to get any prospects.

Flowers had a long time to get hungry and he hit balls hard...nice.
Beating Verlander is always a bonus. He was the most hittable of the Tiger starters in this series...go figure.

Glad they did not get swept. Screw the Tigers...we are not as good,but we do not have to lay down for the mighty tigers. 3-4 so far this year,no embarrassment...now win the season series,Sox.

FielderJones
07-25-2013, 06:00 PM
I know jake talked Robin into it...but Hahn should have stepped in and demanded he sit.

Really? That's what you want, the GM interfering with on-field decisions? :rolleyes:

Tragg
07-25-2013, 06:09 PM
Really? That's what you want, the GM interfering with on-field decisions? :rolleyes:
This really wasn't an on the field decision. It was an organizational decision in these circumstances. Anyway, yes, I think top management should be involved in long-term issues such as pitching Sale 115+ innings game after game and putting Santiago in middle relief.

FielderJones
07-25-2013, 06:25 PM
This really wasn't an on the field decision. It was an organizational decision in these circumstances. Anyway, yes, I think top management should be involved in long-term issues such as pitching Sale 115+ innings game after game and putting Santiago in middle relief.

Good luck getting the top flight professional that you want to replace amateur Ventura when word gets out that the GM is on the horn during and after games.

Mr. Jinx
07-25-2013, 07:07 PM

I can't imagine there are any teams out there that are so stupid that they base their opinion of a player on one batter after 110+ pitches.

SCCWS
07-25-2013, 07:20 PM
Good luck getting the top flight professional that you want to replace amateur Ventura when word gets out that the GM is on the horn during and after games.

Read Terry Francona's book. Theo was very involved in decisions like pitch counts and use of young players. They won 2 World Series with that approach. Now Francona said he and Theo worked well together, but the book tells how involved management is with regards to players.

Wedema
07-25-2013, 07:41 PM
Watching the replay on CSN now. Stupid move by McEwing to send Konerko home in the first when he is thrown out by a mile. But Hawks says he loves the way McEwing coaches third and has only disagreed with him two times this season.

TDog
07-25-2013, 08:01 PM

If you were scouting Peavy today, one of the things that would have impressed you was that his velocity was essentially the same approaching 120 pitches as it was starting the game.

Mr. Jinx
07-25-2013, 08:42 PM
Watching the replay on CSN now. Stupid move by McEwing to send Konerko home in the first when he is thrown out by a mile. But Hawks says he loves the way McEwing coaches third and has only disagreed with him two times this season.

You don't disagree with Super Joe.

Railsplitter
07-25-2013, 09:45 PM
:bandance:

We need more dancing nanners.

Patrick134
07-25-2013, 10:08 PM
I can't imagine there are any teams out there that are so stupid that they base their opinion of a player on one batter after 110+ pitches.

Amen. Scouts are looking for health and velocity. One home run isn't going to affect any aspect of any deal whatsoever.

JermaineDye05
07-25-2013, 10:48 PM
I'm going to miss Jake. I was ecstatic the day I learned the Sox acquired him back in 2009. Was always advocating the Sox pick him up, though at the time I figured it was a pipe dream.

Regarding Robin's decision to leave him in, I really am not sure what he was thinking. I don't think it had anything to do with giving him a proper exit. From what it sounded like on Twitter, he got a tremendous ovation when he exited the 7th.

JB98
07-25-2013, 11:48 PM

This is correct. Scouts want to know if Peavy is healthy. They want to know if he can sustain his stuff into the late innings of a game.

Today, Jake demonstrated he is healthy. He had the same fastball velocity in the eighth as he had in the first.

So what if he gave up a couple home runs? Both of them came with three-ball counts, and he wasn't going to walk anybody with a big lead. He came right at guys. They hit a couple out. Oh well. **** happens.

No, Robin should not have sent him out for the eighth. But in the end, it didn't hurt anything. Jake's trade value actually went up today because he proved his health. The outcome of that at-bat with Pena didn't mean a damn thing in the big picture.

Frater Perdurabo
07-26-2013, 06:15 AM
Although I agree with the need to rebuild, I hope that Hahn does not simply trade Peavy for the sake of getting back prospects and cutting payroll.

If Hahn can't get a great deal, just keep Peavy.

doublem23
07-26-2013, 06:42 AM

Seriously, not to mention a guy who has a pretty solid track record in the Majors, basically all the Sox needed to showcase was that Peavy was healthy, I doubt there's any team in the universe that's still undecided on what they value a healthy Peavy at by now.