PDA

View Full Version : Paulie?

LITTLE NELL
07-25-2013, 12:32 PM
What if PK does not want to hang up the spikes at the end of the year. Since he has been the Captain and the face of the White Sox the last decade what would the Sox do?
I say sign him at a reduced rate to be the DH with the Tank taking over first base. Of course we have to send Dunn packing if anyone will have him.
PK has been hurt so much this year that we can't really say he is done, I think he may have one more year in the tank, then again he might not want anything to do with this mess and just sign somewhere else.

doublem23
07-25-2013, 12:36 PM
He's done

PalehosePlanet
07-25-2013, 12:41 PM
He's done

Probably, but I wonder what his numbers would like if he had any --- and I mean ANY -- protection in this lineup at all. He basically either takes the walk or swings at pitchers pitches and gets himself out.

Chez
07-25-2013, 12:42 PM
He's done

Sadly, I tend to agree.

DSpivack
07-25-2013, 12:45 PM
He's done

Yeah, I'm not one for nostalgia when it comes players at the end of their careers. Time to move on.

Rocky Soprano
07-25-2013, 12:49 PM
If they were willing to let Frank Thomas walk then they better be willing to do the same to Paul Konerko.

SI1020
07-25-2013, 12:50 PM
Probably, but I wonder what his numbers would like if he had any --- and I mean ANY -- protection in this lineup at all. He basically either takes the walk or swings at pitchers pitches and gets himself out. Agreed. In a different scenario he might have a little bit left in the tank.

kittle42
07-25-2013, 12:54 PM
You let him go. The fans' tendency to want to hang onto the glory days of players near the end of their careers is nice and all, but is an unwise suggestion. We root for laundry.

pudge
07-25-2013, 01:32 PM
How has he been at 1B this year? I haven't watched much but seems he still makes some plays over there and doesn't otherwise cost the team. If there is no replacement, why not keep him one more year at a reduced rate?

In 2006, Frank Thomas hit 39 homers and batted .270 - maybe I am crazy, but I still contend if they had kept him at DH and retained Rowand in CF (avoiding the disaster that was Brian Anderson at the plate) they could have won a few more games and had a shot to repeat.

I get that the team next year is not contending, but if you don't have someone you're trying to groom yet, then why not?

Tragg
07-25-2013, 01:41 PM
I say let him walk.

Foulke You
07-25-2013, 02:07 PM
He's done
As much as it hurts me to say it, I agree. Father time has caught up to Konerko in a big way. He cannot stay healthy anymore and appears to have developed a chronic back issue to go with his chronic wrist issues. Back issues usually don't go away, especially at age 37 (going on 38). He's had a tremendous career and his #14 will be retired but this is the end. I hope he makes the decision easier for the Sox by hanging up the spikes at the end of 2013.

getonbckthr
07-25-2013, 02:10 PM
It depends. If the Sox have someone they want to get a look at as a 1B of the future you let him walk. If the end result is gonna be like a Carlos Pena 1 year deal then stick with PK.

JB98
07-25-2013, 02:13 PM
As much as it hurts me to say it, I agree. Father time has caught up to Konerko in a big way. He cannot stay healthy anymore and appears to have developed a chronic back issue to go with his chronic wrist issues. Back issues usually don't go away, especially at age 37 (going on 38). He's had a tremendous career and his #14 will be retired but this is the end. I hope he makes the decision easier for the Sox by hanging up the spikes at the end of 2013.

Agreed. I think this is Paul's last year with the Sox. It's been a great run, but it's time to move on. I think (and hope) Paul knows that himself.

Foulke You
07-25-2013, 02:24 PM
Agreed. I think this is Paul's last year with the Sox. It's been a great run, but it's time to move on. I think (and hope) Paul knows that himself.
I agree, I think he knows it too.

LITTLE NELL
07-25-2013, 02:49 PM
It depends. If the Sox have someone they want to get a look at as a 1B of the future you let him walk. If the end result is gonna be like a Carlos Pena 1 year deal then stick with PK.

Houston just released Pena the other day, I think he is toast.

Noneck
07-25-2013, 02:53 PM
I think hes done but does he? I really hope he doesnt embarrass himself by sitting in front of a phone that doesnt ring. (Thome)

LITTLE NELL
07-25-2013, 03:08 PM
I think hes done but does he? I really hope he doesnt embarrass himself by sitting in front of a phone that doesnt ring. (Thome)

I'm still amazed about what happened to Dye though I think some teams did make him an offer.

Noneck
07-25-2013, 03:31 PM
I'm still amazed about what happened to Dye though I think some teams did make him an offer.

I thought he did have some offers but for a DH or even 1B. Not big money offers but guaranteed. I heard Thome on radio recently and hes got some PR job with the Sox but still wouldnt say hes retired.

JB98
07-25-2013, 03:52 PM
I thought he did have some offers but for a DH or even 1B. Not big money offers but guaranteed. I heard Thome on radio recently and hes got some PR job with the Sox but still wouldnt say hes retired.

Not really PR. He's a special assistant to Hahn.

getonbckthr
07-25-2013, 05:25 PM
Houston just released Pena the other day, I think he is toast.
Oh I know I was just using him as an example of one those year to year veteran contracts.

TaylorStSox
07-25-2013, 05:39 PM
He has no bat speed. He's cut down on his swing to compensate and lost all power. What little range he had in the field is gone. He has no value. For a captain, he hasn't been much of a leader. Let him walk and put his name on the outfield wall.

SCCWS
07-25-2013, 05:46 PM
Not really PR. He's a special assistant to Hahn.

Paulie could be a special assistant to the special assistant.

LITTLE NELL
07-25-2013, 05:48 PM
He has no bat speed. He's cut down on his swing to compensate and lost all power. What little range he had in the field is gone. He has no value. For a captain, he hasn't been much of a leader. Let him walk and put his name on the outfield wall.

I believe they took the images and numbers off the wall.

Noneck
07-25-2013, 05:59 PM

Yes I believe they are turning that into billboard space.

Tragg
07-25-2013, 06:03 PM

He has no foot speed either. My goodness that play in the first....

Lemon44
07-25-2013, 09:41 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to a 1 year deal IF his back, wrist, oblique, neck, and whatever else were healthy in the spring. I don't think that's going to happen.

TomBradley72
07-26-2013, 01:00 PM
Old, bad back, diminished power and bat speed- has earned $75M over the past 5 years- time to move on- I don't see Paulie wanting to continue an the Sox need to turn the page as well-

Moses_Scurry
07-26-2013, 01:11 PM
IF:

- he's willing to take a big pay cut and 1 year contract
- the Sox do not plan on signing any 1B/DH free agents
- no 1B/DH major league ready prospects are acquired in trade
- they find some way to trade Dunn

Then let him play as long as he wants. If any of those 4 do not happen, then let him go.

If he wants to keep playing and feels like he can keep playing, why not let him try if you don't have a better alternative? The key is to not base any decisions on the possibility of him playing.

slavko
07-26-2013, 04:41 PM
He has no foot speed either. My goodness that play in the first....

A singles hitter that clogs the bases. There comes a time for every man.... I hope he's realistic about it.

My_Sox_Summer
07-26-2013, 05:24 PM

They did. But the numbers are on the Stadium Club.

BainesHOF
07-27-2013, 03:55 PM
Konerko has had a tremendous career with the Sox, but his time with the team has come to an end after this season, if he's not traded first.

CoopaLoop
07-27-2013, 03:58 PM
If Tank takes over at first base I am going to shoot myself in the face.

LITTLE NELL
07-27-2013, 06:07 PM
If Tank takes over at first base I am going to shoot myself in the face.

If Tank stays in left field I am going to shoot myself in the face.
DH is fine with me.

roylestillman
07-27-2013, 06:35 PM
If Tank stays in left field I am going to shoot myself in the face.
DH is fine with me.
Unless Tank can make turkey sandwiches in less than 16 minutes, I don't want him in the park.

LITTLE NELL
07-27-2013, 06:40 PM
Unless Tank can make turkey sandwiches in less than 16 minutes, I don't want him in the park.

That is also fine with me, Chris Sale is about the only keeper, sad but true.

SI1020
07-27-2013, 09:26 PM
Unless Tank can make turkey sandwiches in less than 16 minutes, I don't want him in the park. My vote for POTW.

LITTLE NELL
07-28-2013, 07:19 AM
When I started this post I thought that PK still had something left in the tank, after watching him last night I'm changing my mind. It will be interesting if he can see the handwriting on the wall and hangs them up. I imagine he will make the decision very soon so the Sox can honor him with a special day.

BigKlu59
07-29-2013, 03:44 PM
Its a shame it always comes down to this. Mr. Konerko has always fought thru injuries and slumps to play his ass off for this organization. Unfortunately I think he's at the point in his career that he's pulled out whatever was left in the tank. I think he knows and sees what you see Nell. It would have been nice if he could have exited stage left under different circumstances, but this has only been magnified by the atrocious season this team has put on display this year.

He's always been a team guy and we were blessed to have him when we did. These guys only come along a couple of times in our lifetime. We were blessed he and the Big Hurt wore the Pale Hose..

BK59

LITTLE NELL
07-29-2013, 03:58 PM
Its a shame it always comes down to this. Mr. Konerko has always fought thru injuries and slumps to play his ass off for this organization. Unfortunately I think he's at the point in his career that he's pulled out whatever was left in the tank. I think he knows and sees what you see Nell. It would have been nice if he could have exited stage left under different circumstances, but this has only been magnified by the atrocious season this team has put on display this year.

He's always been a team guy and we were blessed to have him when we did. These guys only come along a couple of times in our lifetime. We were blessed he and the Big Hurt wore the Pale Hose..

BK59

It seemed like it happened awful fast with PK, he was great the first half last year but then he got hit near the eye, another injury which I can't remember and then the concussion. I was hoping for a career for PK like Yaz had playing till 43, even he might have stayed on a year too long.

BigKlu59
07-29-2013, 04:44 PM
It seemed like it happened awful fast with PK, he was great the first half last year but then he got hit near the eye, another injury which I can't remember and then the concussion. I was hoping for a career for PK like Yaz had playing till 43, even he might have stayed on a year too long.

Thats just it. When he's had injuries they have occured in the areas that comprise 90% of the game itself..IE Head (eye), Hands (wrist). Torso, Legs and Feet.. It would have been great to see him DH till he hit the half century mark, but those nicks have taken their toll. Yaz did lace them up a year too long. Those old gamers drug the bat up there until they themselves saw the writing on the wall.. They'd rather know themselves they cant do rather than being told so.. I think the Psych term is closure. They left all that was left on the field..Who knows, Maybe Paul has a Ted Williams, Stan Musial and Whitey Ford moment in September,puts the bat into the rack and says..."Its been great boys"...

BK59

LITTLE NELL
07-29-2013, 04:50 PM
Thats just it. When he's had injuries they have occured in the areas that comprise 90% of the game itself..IE Head (eye), Hands (wrist). Torso, Legs and Feet.. It would have been great to see him DH till he hit the half century mark, but those nicks have taken their toll. Yaz did lace them up a year too long. Those old gamers drug the bat up there until they themselves saw the writing on the wall.. They'd rather know themselves they cant do rather than being told so.. I think the Psych term is closure. They left all that was left on the field..Who knows, Maybe Paul has a Ted Williams, Stan Musial and Whitey Ford moment in September,puts the bat into the rack and says..."Its been great boys"...

BK59

Klu, thanks for reminding of the wrist injury, how could I forget that.
One thing I remember about Yaz is that he made a radical change to his batting stance in his later years and it worked.

thomas35forever
07-29-2013, 05:06 PM
As much as we all love Konerko for what he's done, I think even the most casual Sox fan can recognize his time has come. He'll either retire after this season or sign elsewhere because there's really no reason to keep him around anymore. His power numbers are way down, Dunn is the regular first baseman these days and he hasn't been anywhere close to his old self since the first half of last year when he just tore up the AL. If we're rebuilding, he's one guy who has to go. This is the wrong time for the Sox to be dwelling on the past. I just wish JR would get that message.

BigKlu59
07-29-2013, 05:06 PM
Klu, thanks for reminding of the wrist injury, how could I forget that.
One thing I remember about Yaz is that he made a radical change to his batting stance in his later years and it worked.

Yaz had support with the long ball that has elluded Paul these last couple of years. He was able to become a slapper using that Green Monster as target practice.. Too slow for Pensky's pole, no umph for right center field big fly, so he did what he knew what he could do to get on base.. Took a page out of Nellie Fox's book on hitting..

Unfortunately Paul doesnt have the same oppourtunity for that mulligan...

BK59

#1swisher
08-01-2013, 11:22 AM
Scott Merkin ‏ (https://twitter.com/scottmerkin)[/URL] Ventura said Konerko will play first again this year, maybe in Detroit. Was going to use him in Cleveland the other night, but ...

(https://twitter.com/scottmerkin/status/362947817796403200)[URL="https://twitter.com/scottmerkin/status/362947937577349120"] ... Ventura said there "was a little something when he was running the bases. So, itís precautionary stuff more than anything."

Crestani
08-01-2013, 03:26 PM
If they were willing to let Frank Thomas walk then they better be willing to do the same to Paul Konerko.

+1 ...Besides the fact he cannot field, run or even hit for power anymore..!!

SouthSideMike
08-01-2013, 03:42 PM
He's definitely done, but I also think he's a pretty smart guy and probably realizes that and will retire after the season.

Different sport, but we've already witnessed the Brian Urlacher soap opera this offseason. Legendary player with rapidly declining skills trying to fleece way more than his value from a team that paid him a lot of money over his career. Ended up sitting next to a phone waiting for all those other supposedly interested teams to call. No call.

I don't want Konerko's career to end the same, but I think he will probably be smart about it, so I'm not worried.