PDA

View Full Version : Braun Suspended

Fastball23
07-22-2013, 05:39 PM
NYDN Sports I-Team ‏@NYDNSportsITeam 2m (https://twitter.com/NYDNSportsITeam/status/359426803712004096)
Ryan Braun suspended by MLB rest of 2013 season, the first major leaguer linked to Biogenesis scandal to be discipline

blandman
07-22-2013, 05:47 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/brewers-braun-suspended-remainder-season-article-1.1406090

Fastball23
07-22-2013, 05:47 PM
Braun is a ****ing liar and cheater

WhiteSox5187
07-22-2013, 05:52 PM
That's not too surprising. It sounded like MLB had a vendetta against him and from what I have read a lot of players think he got off easy too.

blandman

Yeah, at least he's admitting it now though. 65 games+ playoffs is a ton.

DeadMoney

And now, after taking a deal: Admitted User. **** him... Good for MLB!

Fastball23
07-22-2013, 05:54 PM
David Lennon ‏@DPLennon 46s (https://twitter.com/DPLennon/status/359430537619836930)
Braun suspended w/o pay for season, so loses roughly $3.4 M. But salary jumps to $10M in '14 and $12M in '15. HIs $105 M ext starts in '16.

TaylorStSox
07-22-2013, 05:58 PM
He only gets 65 games and it's conveniently announced at the same time as a big trade. BS.

Fastball23
07-22-2013, 06:00 PM
A Rod better be suspended for at least a full year...

Braun is a scum bag.. All he did last year was deny everything. A guy lost his job because of his lying ass.

KRS1
07-22-2013, 06:03 PM
Not surprised and he should relinquish his 2011 MVP. Did anyone actually believe his bull**** chain of custody victory?

chicagowhitesox1
07-22-2013, 06:03 PM
A Rod better be suspended for at least a full year...

Braun is a scum bag.. All he did last year was deny everything. A guy lost his job because of his lying ass.

I forget, who lost his job over him?

I can't believe he finally apologized.

gobears1987
07-22-2013, 06:07 PM
He deserves more.

RockJock07
07-22-2013, 06:20 PM
Yeah, at least he's admitting it now though. 65 games+ playoffs is a ton.

We really don't know what he's admitting to though. His statement is super vague.

gobears1987
07-22-2013, 06:27 PM
He should be getting 150 games. 50 for the one he cheated out of and 100 more for a 2nd offense.

blandman
07-22-2013, 06:29 PM
We really don't know what he's admitting to though. His statement is super vague.

It's pretty obvious even if he doesn't flat out say it. It's not like he's denying things now.

WLL1855
07-22-2013, 06:31 PM
His statement was a load of vague squirmy crap and the Brewers aren't going anywhere this season. He got off easy in my book. If the Brewers were in contention this year he'd be fighting it tooth and nail.

The Immigrant
07-22-2013, 06:59 PM
Not surprised and he should relinquish his 2011 MVP. Did anyone actually believe his bull**** chain of custody victory?

Yeah, pretty much everyone I know north of Kenosha.

PaleHoser
07-22-2013, 07:55 PM
So am I just a cynic, or does anyone else think this would have played out differently if the Brewers weren't 13.5 games out of a Wild Card spot?

Boondock Saint
07-22-2013, 07:56 PM
Hmm...Braun gets suspended when-

1) His salary leaps up starting next season, so he doesn't lose as much by taking the suspension now, and the suspension doesn't carry into next season.

2) The Brewers are a lock to miss the postseason anyway, and losing Braun's presence in the lineup helps the Brewers tank for a better draft pick, and

3) Bud Selig runs baseball.

Yeah, this isn't favoritism or anything like that at all.

34rancher
07-22-2013, 08:20 PM
So am I just a cynic, or does anyone else think this would have played out differently if the Brewers weren't 13.5 games out of a Wild Card spot?

It's complete and utter bs. Now the brewers get a chance to save money AND they get a better draft pick probably due to this. If they end up with the overall number one pick, then this suspension could confidently help them. Ugh

Hendu
07-22-2013, 08:24 PM
Waiting for Braun to issue an apology to the poor courier he dragged through the mud a couple years ago. Yeah, not holding my breath.

Mr. Jinx
07-22-2013, 08:30 PM
Hmm...Braun gets suspended when-

1) His salary leaps up starting next season, so he doesn't lose as much by taking the suspension now, and the suspension doesn't carry into next season.

2) The Brewers are a lock to miss the postseason anyway, and losing Braun's presence in the lineup helps the Brewers tank for a better draft pick, and

3) Bud Selig runs baseball.

Yeah, this isn't favoritism or anything like that at all.

Seriously??? What would you have preferred, to just sit on it until next year and then suspend him? He weaseled his way out before, but now that he's caught you want to delay the suspension further?

Mr. Jinx
07-22-2013, 08:30 PM
It's complete and utter bs. Now the brewers get a chance to save money AND they get a better draft pick probably due to this. If they end up with the overall number one pick, then this suspension could confidently help them. Ugh

Using that logic they might as well have just sat Braun for the year anyway in order to move up in the draft.

Boondock Saint
07-22-2013, 08:31 PM
Seriously??? What would you have preferred, to just sit on it until next year and then suspend him? He weaseled his way out before, but now that he's caught you want to delay the suspension further?

Well you could at least give him the suspension he deserves. "Just until this season's over" is a load of bull****. They have a policy on PED use, they don't get to decide when to implement it or not.

Mr. Jinx
07-22-2013, 08:38 PM
Well you could at least give him the suspension he deserves. "Just until this season's over" is a load of bull****. They have a policy on PED use, they don't get to decide when to implement it or not.

I think this is better than their policy. It was a pretty flimsy argument to try and suspend him for 100 games for a 2nd failed test when he was never convicted of a 1st failed test. 65 games is over the 50 game limit for 1st time users. This is the equivalent of a plea bargain and prevented this thing from dragging on and on for months as lawyers argued the semantics of the collective bargaining agreement.

34rancher
07-22-2013, 08:44 PM
Using that logic they might as well have just sat Braun for the year anyway in order to move up in the draft.

I think a team should lose its top draft pick if a player gets caught on their team. It's only way to keep them from looking the other way.

Mr. Jinx
07-22-2013, 08:48 PM
I think a team should lose its top draft pick if a player gets caught on their team. It's only way to keep them from looking the other way.

I agree completely with that idea if the way people were getting caught was representative of the league. Unfortunately though, the 2 largest ways people were caught in the majors at least were from a rat/whistleblower in an east coast dugout and a clinic in Florida. If people really thought the only cheaters were the people on the Mitchell report and those using the lab in Florida I have a bridge to sell you.

LoveYourSuit
07-22-2013, 09:16 PM
I really wish there was a legal way to allow these massive contracts revoked when these players are busted.

You think any player would dare even consider taking PEDs?

DSpivack
07-22-2013, 09:21 PM
I really wish there was a legal way to allow these massive contracts revoked when these players are busted.

Is that written into the CBA? I would think that there would be some clause along those lines.

Boondock Saint
07-22-2013, 09:21 PM

Absolutely.

LoveYourSuit
07-22-2013, 09:29 PM
Is that written into the CBA? I would think that there would be some clause along those lines.

I highly doubt it.

Up until the recent events, the MLBPA has been very protective about their players. Highly doubt they gave this sort of leverage to the owners.

Noneck
07-22-2013, 09:31 PM

I wish contracts could be revoked also so the cheaters that get caught would get really hurt. But they would still try to cheat because the cheating would be a reason to get the big contracts initially.

Boondock Saint
07-22-2013, 09:33 PM
I wish contracts could be revoked also so the cheaters that get caught would get really hurt. But they would still try to cheat because the cheating would be a reason to get the big contracts initially.

Bingo.

LoveYourSuit
07-22-2013, 09:43 PM

Some punishment is better than no punishment. Right now a 50 game suspension when a guy still has 4-5 years left on a $100 million dollar deal is the equivalent of a late mortgage payment. Revoke that contact on the spot and that's a bankruptcy/foreclosure.

Yes guys will be shooting up the juice just for the chance of hitting that big pay day. But what good is it to them if the next day signing that deal it can all be gone and more than likely never getting another deal again.

Boondock Saint
07-22-2013, 09:45 PM
Some punishment is better than no punishment. Right now a 50 game suspension when a guy still has 4-5 years left on a $100 million dollar deal is the equivalent of a late mortgage payment. Revoke that contact on the spot and that's a bankruptcy/foreclosure.

Yes guys will be shooting up the juice just for the chance of hitting that big pay day. But what good is it to them if the next day signing that deal it can all be gone and more than likely never getting another deal again.

Once you've gotten that kind of contract, there will always be a team willing to pay for your services, PEDs or not.

LoveYourSuit
07-22-2013, 10:04 PM
Once you've gotten that kind of contract, there will always be a team willing to pay for your services, PEDs or not.

How do you know that?

Name a PED offender that has signed a massive FA deal after getting busted?

You think anyone would be signing ARod for top $$$ tomorrow if by some miracle Selig steps in right now and announces his contract null and void?

Look what happened to all the PED frauds who went away without a sound:

Sosa, Bonds, Palmeiro, M Ramirez, etc

Boondock Saint
07-22-2013, 10:05 PM
How do you know that?

You think anyone would be signing ARod for top $$$ tomorrow if by some miracle Selig steps in right now and announces his contract null and void?

All of those guys were washed up by the time they were busted, and it'll be the same story with A-Rod if/when it happens to him, too.

Mr. Jinx
07-22-2013, 10:13 PM
How do you know that?

It isn't massive, but Melky Cabrera signed a 2 year $16 mil deal after getting busted.

Andy Pettite signed a 1 year $12 mil deal this year.

The Balco scandal was in 2003, a perjury case in 2006, and Bonds was still signed to a 1 year $15mil deal in 2007.

Mr. Jinx
07-22-2013, 10:14 PM
All of those guys were washed up by the time they were busted, and it'll be the same story with A-Rod if/when it happens to him, too.

Exactly true, nobody would give ARod a big deal tomorrow even if he didn't get busted again.

DumpJerry
07-22-2013, 10:27 PM
So, that tweet (http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-07-22/aaron-rodgers-ryan-braun-suspension-peds-steroids-brewers-packers-biogenesis) from fellow Cheesehead Aaron Rodgers is looking more and more toolsy today....

Boondock Saint
07-22-2013, 10:32 PM
So, that tweet (http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-07-22/aaron-rodgers-ryan-braun-suspension-peds-steroids-brewers-packers-biogenesis) from fellow Cheesehead Aaron Rodgers is looking more and more toolsy today....

Yeah, I won't hold my breath waiting for his "My friend is a dick, and I was a douche for ignoring the evidence and telling off everybody who was actually right about him in the first place" tweet.

Mr. Jinx
07-22-2013, 10:42 PM
so, that tweet (http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-07-22/aaron-rodgers-ryan-braun-suspension-peds-steroids-brewers-packers-biogenesis) from fellow cheesehead aaron rodgers is looking more and more toolsy today....

hahahahahaha

RockJock07
07-23-2013, 12:16 AM

I think Aaron could have handled it better. I get he was sticking up for his friend however he didn't have to go over the top in his defense until everything was know.

If you're unaware Rodgers and Braun own a restaurant together in the Milwaukee area and are due to open another restaurant soon.

This isn't a story about Rodgers however because of his comments and tweets about Braun he's going to have to answer some serious questions. I would guess Rodgers and Braun never discussed the PED's and Rodgers assumed his friend was on the straight and narrow. I can't fault him for looking out for his friend but he didn't have to do it in a public way that would leave Rodgers open to this egg-on-face moment he now faces.

thomas35forever
07-23-2013, 12:52 AM
I hate when people turn the other way on certain PED users while demonizing others. Braun was definitely in the former. He still took that stuff whether he was suspended the first time around or not. Glad nobody will be able to question that now.

ComiskeyBrewer
07-23-2013, 01:11 AM
I think Aaron could have handled it better. I get he was sticking up for his friend however he didn't have to go over the top in his defense until everything was know.

If you're unaware Rodgers and Braun own a restaurant together in the Milwaukee area and are due to open another restaurant soon.

This isn't a story about Rodgers however because of his comments and tweets about Braun he's going to have to answer some serious questions. I would guess Rodgers and Braun never discussed the PED's and Rodgers assumed his friend was on the straight and narrow. I can't fault him for looking out for his friend but he didn't have to do it in a public way that would leave Rodgers open to this egg-on-face moment he now faces.

Agreed. Rodgers was over the top, but i can't fault him for defending his friend in public. I would defend my friend in public to others, but i have no problem smacking them on the head in private and asking "What were you thinking?" That's what friends do.

Boondock Saint
07-23-2013, 01:43 AM
Agreed. Rodgers was over the top, but i can't fault him for defending his friend in public. I would defend my friend in public to others, but i have no problem smacking them on the head in private and asking "What were you thinking?" That's what friends do.

There's a difference between defending your friend and going all, "All you people" on everybody.

Vernam
07-23-2013, 02:22 AM
I forget, who lost his job over him?

Dino Laurenzi may not have lost his job, but he's the guy Braun threw under the bus to (temporarily) save his own skin.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2013/07/dino_laurenzi_jr_ryan_braun_yes_the_brewers_star_i s_a_drug_cheat_but_there.html

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/28/wisconsin-man-who-collected-ryan-brauns-urine-sample-issues-statement-to-set-the-record-straight/

I hope Laurenzi sues him for big bucks.

ComiskeyBrewer
07-23-2013, 02:41 AM
There's a difference between defending your friend and going all, "All you people" on everybody.

He called out MLB and Cable sports(read: ESPN) after braun was found not guilty. I don't see that as going "All you people" on everybody, more of a "I told you so" type of thing. Like i said, he went over the top.

This is what he said shortly after the braun test was leaked:

"I was very surprised the news came out the way it did. You would think that there would be some sort of confidentiality surrounding the situation because he is appealing it. Other than that, I don't really want to comment a whole lot on the allegations or whatnot. I would say I 100% support Ryan and believe in him and it's not going to affect our friendship in the least. I'm 100% supporting him and behind him and believe in everything that he says.
"I've known Ryan for a while now, and we've spent a lot of time hanging out. I've been in the locker room, and I've seen him working out and stuff. It's just ridiculous the allegations. ... I don't know exactly what all is out there, but I just am trusting that my good friend has not been using anything illegal, and I'm very confident that's the case because I know how much he cares about the integrity of the game and wouldn't do anything to jeopardize that."

Again, to me, that is simply a guy defending his friend.

The Immigrant
07-23-2013, 03:10 AM
I hope Laurenzi sues him for big bucks.

Unfortunately, "he acted like a real dickbag" is not a recognizable cause of action.

Bobby Thigpen
07-23-2013, 02:57 PM
Waiting for Braun to issue an apology to the poor courier he dragged through the mud a couple years ago. Yeah, not holding my breath.
Why?

http://deadspin.com/ryan-braun-does-not-owe-the-sample-collector-an-apology-873467302

slavko
07-23-2013, 03:59 PM
Unfortunately, "he acted like a real dickbag" is not a recognizable cause of action.

Is "obtained a contract through fraudulent means" actionable for the Brewers?

LITTLE NELL
07-23-2013, 08:45 PM
Braun is dumber than a box of rocks.

On another note these guys are cheating and should be given harsher penalties, Pete Rose bet on his own team to win and so far is banned for life, is what he did worse than these cheaters?

SI1020
07-23-2013, 08:53 PM

On another note these guys are cheating and should be given harsher penalties, Pete Rose bet on his own team to win and so far is banned for life, is what he did worse than these cheaters? That's what he said. I'm not sure I believe him.

Noneck
07-23-2013, 08:57 PM

On another note these guys are cheating and should be given harsher penalties, Pete Rose bet on his own team to win and so far is banned for life, is what he did worse than these cheaters?

Rose is just as dumb and who knows that he only bet on his team to win. What I dont understand is why cant these guys cover their tracks. Why didnt Braun get someone close to him to buy his juice and why didnt Rose get someone close to him to make his bets? They must have someone in the world they can trust to do that stuff.

doublem23
07-23-2013, 09:27 PM

Yes. A million times worse.

KRS1
07-23-2013, 09:49 PM
I'm as jaded as any with the steroid issue, to the point that I've simply accepted its pervasive existence in the game. However, both are issues of an ever-present problem in their own era (grown from cumulative issues from eras prior) that impact the integrity of the game. In one case, an all-time great was made example of in ultimate fashion and the problem was curbed, I believe the same should be done here while we have a chance to punish one of these guys before they retire. Three strikes and you're out doesn't work when testing is a total joke compared to the effort put into cheating.

LITTLE NELL
07-23-2013, 10:23 PM

Wow, a million times worse, if you were a judge I would hate to have to face you in a court room besides that Pete won't live that long.

BleacherBandit
07-23-2013, 11:49 PM

explain.

ComiskeyBrewer
07-24-2013, 01:08 AM

Could it be considered Defamation of Character? My quick google-fu says maybe:

Defamation of character is a very specific area of law that requires that specific elements of fact be maintained. First, to be accused of defamation, the accuser must prove that you have made a false statement them. Secondly, the statement must be made publicly and not involve a private conversation, the statement must be negligent on your part and, finally, the person who is making the accusation against you must prove they have sustained damages as a result of the negligent, false and public statements.

Seems to fit that profile quite well, right?

AZChiSoxFan
07-24-2013, 01:10 PM
Exactly. After Braun demonized the guy, the guy got numerous death threats from Brewers fans.

Paulwny
07-24-2013, 01:13 PM

This topic had been discussed on this board eons ago, before you were a member.
Suppose Rose has a bet on tomorrow's game for his team to win. To give his bet a better chance of winning, he gives a day off to 2 of his best players and doesn't use his best relievers saving them for tomorrow's game. He lessens his teams chances of winning today's game.
Gambling is and always will be the biggest no-no in all sports.

LITTLE NELL
07-24-2013, 01:52 PM
This topic had been discussed on this board eons ago, before you were a member.
Suppose Rose has a bet on tomorrow's game for his team to win. To give his bet a better chance of winning, he gives a day off to 2 of his best players and doesn't use his best relievers saving them for tomorrow's game. He lessens his teams chances of winning today's game.
Gambling is and always will be the biggest no-no in all sports.

Excellent point, never looked at it that way.
I still believe though harsher penalties should be handed out to the cheats. Read somewhere today that ARod might be looking at a lifetime ban which would be great and send a message to all the rest.

doublem23
07-24-2013, 02:45 PM
explain.

Cheating to gain an edge is poor sportsmanship, but ultimately the game itself is intact. Once you start having players or coaches gamble on outcomes, the very integrity of the games you are watching is in question. It's why Kennessaw Mountain Landis banned the 8 Black Sox for life, even though they were acquitted. It's why boxing is irrelevant today. If people can't trust what they're watching isn't predetermined, then there becomes no point in watching.

Also, if you believe the line that Rose only gambled to win, that's a larf. The guy steadfastly denied the charges for decades and now he's coming 100% clean? The guy's a snake.

Bob Roarman
07-24-2013, 02:59 PM
Excellent point, never looked at it that way.
I still believe though harsher penalties should be handed out to the cheats. Read somewhere today that ARod might be looking at a lifetime ban which would be great and send a message to all the rest.

A lifetime ban of ever playing again? Hall of Fame? What is the ban for? Either way it sounds crazy.

LITTLE NELL
07-24-2013, 03:04 PM
A lifetime ban of ever playing again? Hall of Fame? What is the ban for? Either way it sounds crazy.

I imagine from both, the same as Rose.

I just don't understand the mindset of these players, they know that they are going to get tested but they go ahead and continue to take the PEDs. I guess they make so much money that a 50 or 60 game ban is nothing and they are willing to take a chance since the punishment is a mere pittance.

SI1020
07-24-2013, 03:08 PM
Cheating to gain an edge is poor sportsmanship, but ultimately the game itself is intact. Once you start having players or coaches gamble on outcomes, the very integrity of the games you are watching is in question. It's why Kennessaw Mountain Landis banned the 8 Black Sox for life, even though they were acquitted. It's why boxing is irrelevant today. If people can't trust what they're watching isn't predetermined, then there becomes no point in watching.

Also, if you believe the line that Rose only gambled to win, that's a larf. The guy steadfastly denied the charges for decades and now he's coming 100% clean? The guy's a snake. Excellent.