PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 7-19 Rios yanked, Danks spanked; ATL 6 SOX 4 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
07-19-2013, 10:13 PM
It was nice having four consecutive days without a loss.

Can we just forfeit the rest of the year?

Wedema
07-19-2013, 10:20 PM
Ventura confirms that Rios was pulled for not running out the double play ball in the fifth.

mahagga73
07-19-2013, 10:22 PM
It's nice to see that it only took 19 games under and 4 months of little league mental errors for our manager to hold somebody accountable. Too little, too late.

peelwonder
07-19-2013, 10:24 PM
It's nice to see that it only took 19 games under and 4 months of little league mental errors for our manager to hold somebody accountable. Too little, too late.

My thoughts exactly....DeAza has made more boneheaded baserunning blunders than I can think of and he pulls Rios?

Noneck
07-19-2013, 10:26 PM
Ventura confirms that Rios was pulled for not running out the double play ball in the fifth.

Not too smart to point things like this out if Rios is on the block, it can only lower his worth.

mahagga73
07-19-2013, 10:29 PM

Can we just forfeit the rest of the year?What about bringing up the Birmingham Barons and sending down this moribund bunch. Being 24 over at AA or whatever , could they any worse? If there is going to be 100 losses it might as well be entertaining.

Brian26
07-19-2013, 10:36 PM
My thoughts exactly....DeAza has made more boneheaded baserunning blunders than I can think of and he pulls Rios?

Making a mistake is one issue. Lack of effort, though, is an entirely different issue.

Tragg
07-19-2013, 10:41 PM

Ventura is an amateur.

dickallen15
07-19-2013, 10:51 PM
A guy dogs it to first base costing the White Sox a run and a lead, and White Sox fans are up in arms said player gets benched. They want accountability, until someone is held accountable, then whoever is holding them accountable is an idiot.

slavko
07-19-2013, 10:54 PM

Some time back, Viciedo was kept out of game 2 of a doubleheader for dogging it in game 1. I know this doesn't satisfy those of you who want immediate public humiliations for all blunders, but anger isn't the best management style 100% of the time.

mahagga73
07-19-2013, 10:54 PM
Making a mistake is one issue. Lack of effort, though, is an entirely different issue.

I can see your point but when those mental errors are committed over and over by the same players that indicates lack of focus and thus lack of effort.

Boondock Saint
07-19-2013, 11:09 PM
I can see your point but when those mental errors are committed over and over by the same players that indicates lack of focus and thus lack of effort.

These are two completely separate things, and one does not automatically imply the other.

TDog
07-19-2013, 11:43 PM

Right. It wasn't a baserunning blunder. It wasn't just lack of hustle. It was not runnng out a ball in a situation where if he had put forth normal effort, the Whtie Sox woudl have taken the lead. It was a point in the game when Rios should have had ample motivation to run out the ground ball. The play may have cost the Sox the game.

It's that sort of approach that kept Rios' trade value down when the White Sox picked up Rios from the Blue Jays. Teams scouting him Friday night would have been unimpressed with Rios before Ventura pulled him.

CoopaLoop
07-20-2013, 12:16 AM
Nice of Ventura to finally take a stand lol.

Great move while Hahn is trying to trade him.

But with that benching the Sox got Casper Wells up as the tying run in the 8th instead of Rios.

Surely the message was delivered to the clubhouse.

soxfanreggie
07-20-2013, 07:19 AM

Can we just forfeit the rest of the year?

That would definitely guarantee us the #1 overall pick. I'm hoping that we don't screw this pick up because it will be a nice high one the way we're going. We have drafted enough guys lately who don't have the best hitting prospects. Better than the low ceiling pitchers we took, but I am hoping we'll get some better hitters.

Frater Perdurabo
07-20-2013, 09:17 AM
That would definitely guarantee us the #1 overall pick. I'm hoping that we don't screw this pick up because it will be a nice high one the way we're going. We have drafted enough guys lately who don't have the best hitting prospects. Better than the low ceiling pitchers we took, but I am hoping we'll get some better hitters.

Can we draft a hitter and implant him with stem cells from Frank Thomas?

tstrike2000
07-20-2013, 10:03 AM
A mental lapse and/or lack of effort coupled with a loss. Just another day for the White Sox.

TaylorStSox
07-20-2013, 11:19 AM
If only Rios had slammed his bat before he ran to first, everything would be okay.

thomas35forever
07-20-2013, 01:11 PM
So is Rios throwing away performances because he doesn't wanna get traded or what?

Red Barchetta
07-20-2013, 01:32 PM
So is Rios throwing away performances because he doesn't wanna get traded or what?

The thing about Rios is that it doesn't look like he's running even when he's running. He sort of just glides in the outfield so he must have really been loafing for Ventura to pull him.

TaylorStSox
07-20-2013, 02:05 PM

He said he was frustrated with himself for GIDP and sulked. That's why I jokingly made the bat toss comment. He should be running those plays out, but I don't think he was willfully loafing.

BainesHOF
07-20-2013, 02:31 PM
I asked Ventura at Soxfest 2012 what he was going to do when guys like AJ and Rios dogged it. It took him only a year and a half to do something about it. Like a previous poster wrote, too little, too late. Ventura didn't even pull him right away. It was something like an inning and a half after the incident happened.

And now Rios said Ventura should have called him into his office after the game instead of yanking him and embarrassing him during it. I guess No. 51 forgot that he was the one who initiated the embarrassment, embarrassing himself, the manager, the team and the organization. I wonder how much money Rios needs to hustle.

The whole team is a joke.

#1swisher
07-20-2013, 03:34 PM
I asked Ventura at Soxfest 2012 what he was going to do when guys like AJ and Rios dogged it. It took him only a year and a half to do something about it. Like a previous poster wrote, too little, too late. Ventura didn't even pull him right away. It was something like an inning and a half after the incident happened.

And now Rios said Ventura should have called him into his office after the game instead of yanking him and embarrassing him during it. I guess No. 51 forgot that he was the one who initiated the embarrassment, embarrassing himself, the manager, the team and the organization. I wonder how much money Rios needs to hustle.

The whole team is a joke.

Here's the link.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/post/_/id/16220/alex-rios-owns-up-to-baserunning-gaffe