PDA

View Full Version : Clubhouse Unrest


Unregistered
08-04-2002, 01:51 AM
from chicagosports.com:
The clubhouse took on a surreal feel afterward when Frank Thomas was heard screaming at Carlos Lee near the trainer's room after Lee criticized Thomas for not sliding into home and getting tagged out on a close play in the fifth inning.

"That's not why we lost the game," an angry Thomas said afterward.

and...

Manuel said he did not discuss the slide with Thomas, leaving that for Thomas' teammates.

"All the guys, they jump on him all the time," Manuel said.

Moments later, Thomas and Carlos Lee engaged in a loud argument about the play after Lee criticized Thomas for not sliding. Thomas later shrugged off the argument.

Still, Thomas said Lee is probably the last guy who can tell him what to do on the bases, a reference to Lee's track record.


ahh, beautiful chemistry...

Jerry_Manuel
08-04-2002, 02:05 AM
Still, Thomas said Lee is probably the last guy who can tell him what to do on the bases, a reference to Lee's track record.

If that's his thinking, then who on the Sox can tell him what to do?

So we've had two clubhouse problems start because Frank didn't slide.

Interesting. Next season's clubhouse should be exciting.

The more I think about this, FSN should just show us the clubhouse. Like a new reality tv series. I'd watch.

LongDistanceFan
08-04-2002, 02:07 AM
"That's not why we lost the game," an angry Thomas said afterward.

but it may have contributed to it.

Nellie_Fox
08-04-2002, 02:25 AM
Nobody has more respect for Frank than me. He should have slid. He was safe, but running right into the tag will give the ump a bad impression.

Did it make a difference? Who knows, but having one run in with one out is a lot better than no runs in with two out.

Carlos Lee is certainly no ballerina on the basepaths, but teammates should criticize each other for bad play. That's what changes things.

I still say that calling someone names because you don't like their play is childish and wrong, particularly when that someone is the best hitter your team has ever had. If Frank has another nothing year next year, I'll agree that it's time for him to call it a career. But, I'll never call him names.

I remember when Frank would come to bat, and everyone in the house would stop what they were doing to watch; a Frank Thomas at-bat was that compelling. I still want to believe that he will return to that form, but even if he doesn't, he's given me too much excitement to ridicule him at the end.

LongDistanceFan
08-04-2002, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Nobody has more respect for Frank than me. He should have slid. He was safe, but running right into the tag will give the ump a bad impression.

Did it make a difference? Who knows, but having one run in with one out is a lot better than no runs in with two out.

Carlos Lee is certainly no ballerina on the basepaths, but teammates should criticize each other for bad play. That's what changes things.

I still say that calling someone names because you don't like their play is childish and wrong, particularly when that someone is the best hitter your team has ever had. If Frank has another nothing year next year, I'll agree that it's time for him to call it a career. But, I'll never call him names.

I remember when Frank would come to bat, and everyone in the house would stop what they were doing to watch; a Frank Thomas at-bat was that compelling. I still want to believe that he will return to that form, but even if he doesn't, he's given me too much excitement to ridicule him at the end.

100% correct.

CubKilla
08-04-2002, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel


If that's his thinking, then who on the Sox can tell him what to do?

So we've had two clubhouse problems start because Frank didn't slide.

Interesting. Next season's clubhouse should be exciting.

The more I think about this, FSN should just show us the clubhouse. Like a new reality tv series. I'd watch.

Certainly JM, our fearless leader, doesn't think as manager he should tell Frank Thomas to slide. This guy is a joke..... JM I mean. What is his rationale for letting Thomas' teammates discuss his failure to slide a homeplate, considering the history when a teammate discusses ANYTHING with Thomas?

:firejerry

PaleHoseGeorge
08-04-2002, 12:58 PM
It's pretty obvious this team needs somebody to pull hard on the reins and assert their authority over all the other inmates. I'm guessing Manuel keeps hoping one of his players will step forward, but that's b.s. It's the manager's job to get his players to play for him. Clearly Gandhi is failing.

I'm especially pissed that Manuel didn't rip both Lee and Thomas for letting their spat end up in the sports pages. Same goes for Konerko talking in the press earlier this season.

More than anything, this team needs somebody to crack the whip. Jerry Manuel is a complete bust for this assignment.

Right now, we need baseball's version of this guy:

:iron
"I would never call him the Big Skirt. Big Pu**y is another matter."

Iguana775
08-04-2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla


Certainly JM, our fearless leader, doesn't think as manager he should tell Frank Thomas to slide. This guy is a joke..... JM I mean. What is his rationale for letting Thomas' teammates discuss his failure to slide a homeplate, considering the history when a teammate discusses ANYTHING with Thomas?

:firejerry

it is obvious that JM has no idea how to talk to his players about their wrong doings so the players are now starting to take it in to their own hands.

Iguana775
08-04-2002, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Right now, we need baseball's version of this guy:

:iron
"I would never call him the Big Skirt. Big Pu***y is another matter."

hell, lets just hire him!!! :)

doublem23
08-04-2002, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

:iron
"I would never call him the Big Skirt. Big Pu***y is another matter."

I'm still trying to figure out what that third asterick is for... unless I've been spelling that wrong the last 7 years or so. :smile:

NUKE_CLEVELAND
08-04-2002, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
It's pretty obvious this team needs somebody to pull hard on the reins and assert their authority over all the other inmates. I'm guessing Manuel keeps hoping one of his players will step forward, but that's b.s. It's the manager's job to get his players to play for him. Clearly Gandhi is failing.

I'm especially pissed that Manuel didn't rip both Lee and Thomas for letting their spat end up in the sports pages. Same goes for Konerko talking in the press earlier this season.

More than anything, this team needs somebody to crack the whip. Jerry Manuel is a complete bust for this assignment.

Right now, we need baseball's version of this guy:

:iron
"I would never call him the Big Skirt. Big Pu***y is another matter."


:iron "I have a lot of experience with the roller dome too."

PaleHoseGeorge
08-04-2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
I'm still trying to figure out what that third asterick is for... unless I've been spelling that wrong the last 7 years or so. :smile:

I got a little carried away with the asterisks. :smile:

It should be a bit more obvious what Da Coach meant now.

voodoochile
08-04-2002, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
:iron
"I would never call him the Big Skirt. Big Pu**y is another matter."

:sopranos
"Big P sleeps with the fishes. If youse contine to infringe upon our trademarks, you might also..."

Jerry_Manuel
08-04-2002, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
More than anything, this team needs somebody to crack the whip. Jerry Manuel is a complete bust for this assignment.


Phil Garner or Buck Showalter.

RedPinStripes
08-04-2002, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel


Phil Garner or Buck Showalter.

Garner? I don't know about that. He might be the biggest cancer of all on a team. And he would take no **** from uncle jerry and KW . So we're stuck with yes men as mgt.

Jerry_Manuel
08-04-2002, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Garner? I don't know about that. He might be the biggest cancer of all on a team. And he would take no **** from uncle jerry and KW . So we're stuck with yes men as mgt.

That's the kind of manager they need. Someone who will tell Williams to get the hell out of the clubhouse. Yes men indeed.

doublem23
08-04-2002, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel


That's the kind of manager they need. Someone who will tell Williams to get the hell out of the clubhouse. Yes men indeed.

But Garner is an idiot. Isn't there someone with lungs and brains?

Daver
08-04-2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by doublem23


But Garner is an idiot. Isn't there someone with lungs and brains?

They could hire the ghost of Billy Martin.........

Jerry_Manuel
08-04-2002, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
But Garner is an idiot. Isn't there someone with lungs and brains?

Well, with the Sox getting a few good qualities out of the manager would be nice.

How does Showalter sound?

Daver
08-04-2002, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel


Well, with the Sox getting a few good qualities out of the manager would be nice.

How does Showalter sound?

Buck was hated by the players in NY,it would be the same here.

Jerry_Manuel
08-04-2002, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by daver
Buck was hated by the players in NY,it would be the same here.

I know he's an ****. So either the players hate the manager or they have no respect for the manager. Shouldn't even have one.

RedPinStripes
08-04-2002, 04:58 PM
I want Larussa!

Pipe dream.