PDA

View Full Version : *Official 7.14.2013* Same old story post game thread.

shingo10
07-14-2013, 05:42 PM
Phegley continues to impress but hopefully he didn't break his finger.

We could have won all 3 games. Story of the season so far.

LITTLE NELL
07-14-2013, 05:44 PM
Decent pitching and lousy hitting add up to another loss.
Got to give them a little credit for coming back from a 3-0 deficit to tie it up only to lose in the tenth.

SBSoxFan
07-14-2013, 05:54 PM
It's nice that DeAza is hitting, but he sure could have caught that fly ball in the first inning.

LITTLE NELL
07-14-2013, 05:58 PM
It's nice that DeAza is hitting, but he sure could have caught that fly ball in the first inning.

Right on, he stopped way short of the wall. He will not go down in history as one of our best center fielders.

amsteel
07-14-2013, 07:14 PM
14-20 in 1 run games in the first half. Indicative of good pitching, mediocre managing, and bad offense.

SCCWS
07-14-2013, 08:03 PM
14-20 in 1 run games in the first half. Indicative of good pitching, mediocre managing, and bad offense.

Actually they are average in pitching in most categories. But you forgot lousy defense.

amsteel
07-14-2013, 08:42 PM
Actually they are average in pitching in most categories. But you forgot lousy defense.

Which ones? The pitching leads the league in WAR and Wins Above Average.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL/2013-value-pitching.shtml
And are 4th in ERA+
http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL/2013-standard-pitching.shtml

And yeah, the defense is 33 runs below average.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL/2013-standard-fielding.shtml

And finally, shockingly, the offense as far is runs/game is concerned is above average.

SI1020
07-14-2013, 08:51 PM
Which ones? The pitching leads the league in WAR and Wins Above Average.
And are 4th in ERA+
http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL/2013-standard-pitching.shtml

And yeah, the defense is 33 runs below average.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL/2013-standard-fielding.shtml

And finally, shockingly, the offense as far is runs/game is concerned is above average. Reminds of a quote attributed to Mark Twain.

shingo10
07-14-2013, 09:24 PM

It's funny but De Aza has quietly become one of our most solid hitters and his numbers are pretty impressive. In fact they are similar to if not better than Rios's.

There has to be a team looking for that kind of production in their outfield.

Wedema
07-14-2013, 09:51 PM
It's funny but De Aza has quietly become one of our most solid hitters and his numbers are pretty impressive. In fact they are similar to if not better than Rios's.

Phillies are looking for a center fielder after Ben Revere broke his foot on a foul ball in yesterday's game.

SoxSpeed22
07-14-2013, 10:07 PM
I think De Aza would be more useful for other teams at left field, but versatility is always a good thing.

Brian26
07-14-2013, 10:16 PM

They were running down the stat lines on Rios and DeAza before the game, and DeAza is leading Rios is almost every category. I am not sure how that happened, but with DeAza's contract, he becomes a more movable piece than Rios.

Brian26
07-14-2013, 10:21 PM
I lost track of how many fielding and baserunning gaffes Ramirez and DeAza made this weekend between them. Ramirez blew around first base and was thrown out in Game 1 yesterday. He came off the bag on a steal last night in Game 2. DeAza got doubled off 2nd base today, in addition to the ginger play in CF where he was afraid of the wall. It is frustrating that these two guys are the hottest hitters on the team, with Phegley, when they make the most consistent boneheaded plays.

SCCWS
07-14-2013, 10:32 PM
[QUOTE=amsteel;3069360]Which ones? The pitching leads the league in WAR and Wins Above Average.
And are 4th in ERA+
QUOTE]

HUH??? 15 teams in AL. They are 8th in AL in ERA. Teams are hitting .250 against them which is 4th worst in AL. They are 7th in OBP and WHIP allowed. Sorry that is average.

TDog
07-14-2013, 10:46 PM
Decent pitching and lousy hitting add up to another loss.
Got to give them a little credit for coming back from a 3-0 deficit to tie it up only to lose in the tenth.

The Sox could have won this game with lousy hitting. They could have swept the series with lousy hitting. In each of the last two extra-inning losses, they failed to score a runner who reached third with nobody out before the game got to the ninth. Today it was a Phegley infield pop out and a Morel double play that was the difference. In the second game Saturday it was a Viciedo strikeout, a Wells pop out and a Flowers ground out.

Another way to look at it would be that giving up a two-out run-scoring hit to the opposing pitcher was the difference. In close games there isn't always one difference. I believe the Sox are done in National League parks for the season, so they shouldn't have to worry about pitching to pitchers anymore. I wonder how well pitchers as hitters did against the Sox this year compared to designated hitters. Pitchers seemed to get a lot of hits and drive in a lot of runs against the Sox this year.

GlassSox
07-14-2013, 11:13 PM
Visiting family in NJ this weekend so nine of us went to the game today. The heat was terrible but we had a nice time together. The ball park is very nice.

On the other hand, this was another very winnable game. Boos go out to De Aza in center field for lack of any extra effort and to the lack of situational hitting with runners in scoring position. Dunn at the plate was predictable.

I really enjoyed Papelbon blowing the save and Philly fans booing him as he walked off the field.

amsteel
07-14-2013, 11:16 PM
HUH??? 15 teams in AL. They are 8th in AL in ERA. Teams are hitting .250 against them which is 4th worst in AL. They are 7th in OBP and WHIP allowed. Sorry that is average.

ERA+ is not ERA. OBP and WHIP are also somewhat reliant on defense, but yeah they aren't great on that front. I would't say their great, but I'd say they are above average.

JB98
07-14-2013, 11:33 PM
This loss was like dozens of others this season. They could have won with one more clutch hit at any point in the game, but they just squander chance after chance. Bad baserunning and bad at-bats in clutch situations. With the exception of Phegley. That was good to see in the top of the ninth.

captain54
07-15-2013, 01:36 AM
both games should have never gone into extras ... offensive opportunity after offensive opportunity wasted... bone headed plays, etc.. a below average team which is the product of an average to below average organization...

I can't wait to hear Hahn talk about how great the pitching is going to be in 14'

Zakath
07-15-2013, 07:23 AM
On a pace to go 65-97, which would be the worst record since 1976.

The only positive is that no team in baseball has as many home games left as the Sox do, with 41 of the 70 left in The Cell. Minnesota and Kansas City are next on the list with 37 home games left. And, as atrocious as we've been on the road, we're only 2 under .500 at home.

Little solace for a team that will struggle to win 70, and will look little like the team that took the field vs. KC on April 1 when they play the final game vs. KC on September 29.

Golden Sox
07-15-2013, 10:43 AM
It's really a shame how this game/this season has gone. The team definitely has its warts (bad base running, bad defense) but the game and season has been lost because THE TEAM CAN'T HIT. When you consider the fact that this pitching staff has lost Peavy, Floyd and Crain at one time or another, I think our pitching staff has done a good job this year. I don't know what/if anything Hahn is going to do to improve this team but I wish he would do something soon.

TheVulture
07-15-2013, 10:50 AM
The only positive is that no team in baseball has as many home games left as the Sox do, with 41 of the 70 left in The Cell.

That's only a positive if you're a masochist.

captain54
07-15-2013, 12:59 PM
The only positive is that no team in baseball has as many home games left as the Sox do, with 41 of the 70 left in The Cell.

The only positive is that you can practically get a seat anywhere, for almost nothing ..