PDA

View Full Version : 7-13 Game 1 It's sort of sunny in Philadelphia Postgame Thread

SoxSpeed22
07-13-2013, 07:47 PM
Nice to see Danks have another quality outing, while De Aza and Ramirez got the big hits.

amsteel
07-13-2013, 07:59 PM
Plant me squarely in the 'impressed with John Danks comeback' camp.

October26
07-13-2013, 08:17 PM
Spent this beautiful day with my father and made it home just in time to catch the 11th inning. Happy to see Sox the bats come alive and score a couple of runs. Reed gave us a little drama/scare in the bottom of the 11th but thank goodness for that game-ending double play. Sox win! :bandance: Sox win!

Tragg
07-13-2013, 08:28 PM
Ramirez and DeAza are hitting better, and it sure helps.
I wouldn't be so quick to trade DeAza. He won't bring much of anything. He's also dirt cheap, and by the end of the year, he'll give us an obp of 330-340 with double digit homers. WE certainly can live with that until we find someone better.

TDog
07-13-2013, 08:30 PM
The extra run at the end certainly helped. The runner from third that didn't score with one out after Gillaspie's sacrifice fly in the sixth could have helped get it done in nine. But the Phillies had the winning run on third with no outs in the bottom of the ninth, so not adding on to a sixth-inning lead with a deep fly isn't so glaring.

With Thornton gone and Crain out, the bullpen feels very thin but it did its job even with the extra innings. Still, has anyone noticed that since the WSI discussion with some arguing that Reed couldn't pitch in non-save situations after he blew the five-run extra-inning lead in Seattle, Reed seems shakier in save situations than non-save situations?

Overall, a nice comeback win.

Tragg
07-13-2013, 08:45 PM
The runner from third that didn't score with one out after Gillaspie's sacrifice fly in the sixth could have helped get it done in nine.

What happened there?

Also kudos to Veal and Trudcuso for not allowing any runs this afternoon.

mahagga73
07-14-2013, 12:46 AM
They might as well forfeit sending out a lineup like that second game. Casper Wells doesn't belong in the Major Leagues .

Dick Allen
07-14-2013, 01:04 AM
They might as well forfeit sending out a lineup like that second game. Casper Wells doesn't belong in the Major Leagues .And he was hitting 5th, no less. :angry: By sending out this garbage lineup, Ventura was asking Santiago to pitch a shutout. Which he almost did. If I had paid to watch this game, and saw this lineup when I got to the park, I would have demanded a refund. This is bull. The freaking All-Star break is coming up, he shouldn't have needed to rest people, especially at the same time.

Tragg
07-14-2013, 01:13 AM
That was a preposterous lineup. No reason for it. This DH should have been swept.
I doubt we'll see outings like this from Veal, Purcey and Troncoso again this season.

mahagga73
07-14-2013, 01:15 AM
And he was hitting 5th, no less. :angry: By sending out this garbage lineup, Ventura was asking Santiago to pitch a shutout. Which he almost did. If I had paid to watch this game, and saw this lineup when I got to the park, I would have demanded a refund. This is bull. The freaking All-Star break is coming up, he shouldn't have needed to rest people, especially at the same time.

This has been his MO from the start. He did a lot of this sitting everybody and essentially forfeiting games last season. The Sox don't have any talent on the bench to just sit a bunch of players for a game like that. Like I said it was essentially a forfeit.

Tragg
07-14-2013, 01:17 AM
This has been his MO from the start. He did a lot of this sitting everybody and essentially forfeiting games last season.

He does the same thing on the pitching end too. If the starter gets in trouble early, and the reliever gets in trouble too, and we're down, say 2 runs, he'll just leave the reliever in the game to pitch us completely out of it. He's punted a lot of games as manager.

mahagga73
07-14-2013, 01:24 AM
He does the same thing on the pitching end too. If the starter gets in trouble early, and the reliever gets in trouble too, and we're down, say 2 runs, he'll just leave the reliever in the game to pitch us completely out of it. He's punted a lot of games as manager.

He is way to slow to get guys out , especially the ones that lose it quick , like Thornton did and Nate Jones does . Why Axelrod is still getting starts is a mystery to me. He has ran out of luck , not a Major League quality pitcher. The smoke and mirrors is over with him. He was getting straight lucky. They have to have a pitcher in the system somewhere that can take his place and show his stuff.

#1swisher
07-14-2013, 02:08 AM
Comcast SportsNet ‏@CSNChicago (https://twitter.com/CSNChicago) 41m (https://twitter.com/CSNChicago/status/356283051770261506)

Ventura describes Beckham's injury as a 'serious charley horse' -- http://bit.ly/16BriwK (http://t.co/bParoRwFlq)

Beckham left Game 2 with a left quad contusion and is likely out of the lineup Sunday.

Chez
07-14-2013, 10:32 AM
Why didn't the White Sox bring up a 26th player for the doubleheader?

sox1970
07-14-2013, 11:10 AM
Why didn't the White Sox bring up a 26th player for the doubleheader?

I guess the rule doesn't apply to doubleheaders the day after the rainout because if one team can't logistically get the player to the game the next day, it would be an unfair advantage for the team that can.

Tragg
07-14-2013, 11:19 AM
He is way to slow to get guys out , especially the ones that lose it quick , like Thornton did and Nate Jones does . Why Axelrod is still getting starts is a mystery to me. He has ran out of luck , not a Major League quality pitcher. The smoke and mirrors is over with him. He was getting straight lucky. They have to have a pitcher in the system somewhere that can take his place and show his stuff.
I hear ya. But I will say that there's no reason to rush any real prospects onto this team.

TomBradley72
07-14-2013, 11:47 AM
I DVRd both games- and then would fast forward when I came in from outside- just to see scoring,etc.

Over the two games yesterday-

Ramirez with a too aggressive turn around 1st- gets caught in a run down
Keppinger and Beckham almost collide- Beckham drops pop up
Ramirez overslides 2nd base- turns a stolen base into an out
Rios goes on a hit and run- doesn't pick up the ball- slides into 2nd- should have been on 3rd
Beckham and Wells collide going for a fly down the line
Wells trying to catch the winning run in Game 2- throw barely gets to the grass- 4 hops later- runner scores

More bad baseball in a single day then we used to see over a month or two (at least).

Tragg
07-14-2013, 12:27 PM
See how the market plays. The Astros think they can get 2 top prospects for Bud Norris.
If that's the case, we should market one of Quintana, Santiago et al ourselves; both are better than Bud Norris.

Wedema
07-14-2013, 03:42 PM
I guess the rule doesn't apply to doubleheaders the day after the rainout because if one team can't logistically get the player to the game the next day, it would be an unfair advantage for the team that can.

You are correct on the rule and the reason (logistics). The DH must be scheduled at least 48 hours in advance for the 26th player to be added to the rosters.

TDog
07-14-2013, 04:39 PM
I DVRd both games- and then would fast forward when I came in from outside- just to see scoring,etc.

Over the two games yesterday-
Ramirez with a too aggressive turn around 1st- gets caught in a run down
Keppinger and Beckham almost collide- Beckham drops pop up
Ramirez overslides 2nd base- turns a stolen base into an out
Rios goes on a hit and run- doesn't pick up the ball- slides into 2nd- should have been on 3rd
Beckham and Wells collide going for a fly down the line
Wells trying to catch the winning run in Game 2- throw barely gets to the grass- 4 hops later- runner scores
More bad baseball in a single day then we used to see over a month or two (at least).

And yet, if the Sox scored the runner who was left on base after he got to third with no one out in the second game of the doubleheader, the Sox probably would have swept it.

The Tigers played more bad baseball in the recent White Sox series than the White Sox played on Saturday.