PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Matt Thornton Appreciation Thread

voodoochile
07-12-2013, 10:05 PM
Guy was a solid reliever for several years with the team. It was time to part ways, but he did his job and had some horrible luck at times too.

Good luck in Boston, Matt.

shingo10
07-12-2013, 10:10 PM
Had a stretch where he was darn near unhittable. Unfortunately the experiment of him as closer didn't go so well (some of it thanks to horrible defense...looking at you Juan Pierre) but these past few seasons he has been extremely frustrating to watch pitch.

Good luck in Boston Matt.

Marqhead
07-12-2013, 10:10 PM
At his peak he was one of the best lefties in the game. I used to love watched him pitch as it always seemed effortless while hitting 97-98 on the gun. Lately he's frustrated the hell out of me, but he had a solid career as a White Sox.

winstonage
07-12-2013, 10:13 PM
At his peak he was one of the best lefties in the game. I used to love watched him pitch as it always seemed effortless while hitting 97-98 on the gun. Lately he's frustrated the hell out of me, but he had a solid career as a White Sox.

He should have been used as a LOOGY the last couple of years, can't get right handers out anymore.

Soxman219
07-12-2013, 10:14 PM
That all-star game and the closer experiment hurt him, but when he was on, he was dominant.

Brian26
07-12-2013, 10:15 PM
Guy was a solid reliever for several years with the team. It was time to part ways, but he did his job and had some horrible luck at times too.

Good luck in Boston, Matt.

It is very rare for a reliever to stick around on the same team for seven years. He was a good pickup for Kenny. We got him for Borchard, right?

WhiteSox5187
07-12-2013, 10:16 PM
That all-star game and the closer experiment hurt him, but when he was on, he was dominant.

He hurt his elbow in 2010 and was never the same. But there was a period of time from like 2008 until he got hurt where he was one of the best middle relievers in the game.

PaleHoser
07-12-2013, 10:39 PM
He was free and easy tossing 98, and a lot of fun to watch when he was on. Seven seasons pitching in relief with the same club. You just don't see that much anymore.

And let's not forget getting him from Seattle was one of Kenny Williams best trades.

Best of luck in Boston. :gulp:

Madvora
07-12-2013, 10:50 PM
It is very rare for a reliever to stick around on the same team for seven years. He was a good pickup for Kenny. We got him for Borchard, right?
The most lopsided trade I could think of. My memories of this guy will be positive. He was a damn good pitcher for us.

Boondock Saint
07-12-2013, 11:17 PM
He was awesome until Brian McCann shredded him in the All-Star game.

But we got about five really good years out of a guy we got for Joe Borchard. So thanks for that.

soxfanreggie
07-12-2013, 11:28 PM

You're right, we did get a lot out of him, especially at the beginning. Thank you Matt for all your contributions!

soxnut1018
07-12-2013, 11:35 PM
It's rare for a bullpen pitcher to have a run of effectiveness for as long as Thornton did. When he was at his peak, he was the best lefty reliever in the game. And for what it's worth, he always seemed like a good guy.

JB98
07-12-2013, 11:43 PM
He hurt his elbow in 2010 and was never the same. But there was a period of time from like 2008 until he got hurt where he was one of the best middle relievers in the game.

No question. He was solid for the Sox from the time of his acquisition until he got hurt in 2010. He's been in decline since, although he's still reasonably useful.

The Sox held on to him for a little too long, IMO, but overall, he was a good reliever for this team for a long time.

SephClone89
07-13-2013, 12:26 AM
One of the best relievers in Sox history. Enough said.

StillMissOzzie
07-13-2013, 01:00 AM
When he was on, he was great. When he was not, and when he was a closer, and much of this year, he was not. But as others have said, getting several good years from Thornton for Borchard was definitely a plus for the Sox. Good luck with the change of laundry, Matt. Out of the cellar and into the penthouse.

SMO
:gulp:

amsteel
07-13-2013, 01:16 AM
Threw me a ball while I was in the monster seats in Boston in 2011. Way cool.

roylestillman
07-13-2013, 05:48 AM
As others have said, when he was on he was one of the best strike-out relievers I ever saw. When he wasn't he was responsible for some of the most jaw dropping blown saves of all time. My favorite memory was having this discussion with a woman at a spring training game a couple of years ago. A few innings later the woman introduced herself as Matt Thornton's mother.

That said, I have a feeling that we'll miss Matt out there in the bullpen. It will be like phantom limb syndrome.

SCCWS
07-13-2013, 08:23 AM
Good for him. He goes to a probable playoff team and will play before an enthusiastic fan base. He will probaby be used just against lefties as Boston's pen has seen a resurgence of late.

Chez
07-13-2013, 08:40 AM
Highly effective for a shockingly long period of time -- and a good guy. It peeved me to see him become a WSI whipping-boy. Thanks, Matt.

hawkjt
07-13-2013, 09:18 AM
Matt had a great run,and was a tremendous trade by Kenny.
He was a genuinely good guy,from all appearances.
I remember him being front and center in events with wounded vets.

He hit a wall in that All Star game,and was never the same.
But,hey, it happens to relievers all the time.
I will not root against him,cept vs the Sox.
Hope he gets to the World Series this year.

#1swisher
07-13-2013, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the memories. :tiphat:

Zakath
07-13-2013, 09:31 AM
As others mentioned, seemed to be able to hit 97 or 98 with very little physical effort, unlike a Sale, who looks like he's going to lose a limb every time he pitches.

Thanks for 7 1/2 years.

palehosepub
07-13-2013, 09:33 AM
Longest active White Sox after PK, he had a great run as a reliever and is one of the better White Sox relievers of all time given his longevity.

Matt was always one of the most active players for White Sox charities and supposedly a good clubhouse guy, he should be proud of his Palehose career and I hope he has a good run with the Carmines.

russ99
07-13-2013, 09:39 AM
Matt was the best lefty setup guy of the current era.

Kinda sucks that Kenny couldn't have spent a little more that one offseason and the Sox not pushed him to close, we probably would have gotten a few more good years of quality setup from him.

Tragg
07-13-2013, 09:44 AM
longest active white sox after pk, he had a great run as a reliever and is one of the better white sox relievers of all time given his longevity.

Matt was always one of the most active players for white sox charities and supposedly a good clubhouse guy, he should be proud of his palehose career and i hope he has a good run with the carmines.

+1

thomas35forever
07-13-2013, 12:53 PM
Thanks for a solid tenure, Matt. I'll always remember you coming in to Touch Me during your first season here. For most of your time, you were as reliable as a reliever could be. I still feel bad that you gave up the game-winning hit in the 2010 All-Star Game, but otherwise, congrats on your time here. Hope the rest of your career brings good luck.

24thStFan
07-13-2013, 01:46 PM
Matt Thornton sounds like a good guy. I wish him well.

cards press box
07-13-2013, 03:54 PM
I was always liked the adjustment that Thornton made from a prospect projected to be a starter with Seattle to an excellent short reliever.

Thornton had a great run with the White Sox and, maybe, he helped the Sox' future, too, if Brandon Jacobs ultimately becomes a successful LF for the White Sox.

XplodingScorbord
07-14-2013, 01:46 AM
Great run as a Sox. Nothing but respect for the man. A longtime favorite.

October26
07-14-2013, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the memories. :tiphat:

+1

Thanks for everything, Matt, and best of luck to you in Boston.

MISoxfan
07-14-2013, 06:21 PM
He had a great run with the Sox. I doubt we'll see another reliever pitch for the Sox for 7 seasons any time soon.

ChiSoxGal85
07-14-2013, 07:46 PM
As others have said, when he was on he was one of the best strike-out relievers I ever saw. When he wasn't he was responsible for some of the most jaw dropping blown saves of all time. My favorite memory was having this discussion with a woman at a spring training game a couple of years ago. A few innings later the woman introduced herself as Matt Thornton's mother.

That said, I have a feeling that we'll miss Matt out there in the bullpen. It will be like phantom limb syndrome.

I remember you telling that story.

Matt, you were awesome for a long time for the White Sox. Best of luck with the Other Sox.

SephClone89
07-15-2013, 01:16 PM
http://www.southsidesox.com/2013/7/13/4519570/eulogizing-matt-thornton-white-sox-career-summary

Foulke You
07-15-2013, 04:39 PM
He had a great run with the Sox. I doubt we'll see another reliever pitch for the Sox for 7 seasons any time soon.
Yeah, bullpen has tons of turnover on all teams. 7 seasons for a relief pitcher with one team is an amazing. When Thornton started his White Sox career, his bullpen mates were Bobby Jenks, Mike MacDougal, Neal Cotts,

And let's not forget getting him from Seattle was one of Kenny Williams best trades.
Also, it was one of the best "Coop will fix 'em" jobs ever. One spring training session with Coop and he was fixed.

Marqhead
07-15-2013, 05:00 PM
http://www.southsidesox.com/2013/7/13/4519570/eulogizing-matt-thornton-white-sox-career-summary

Very nice. Used to be one of my favorites, funny how a couple years can taint your view of a career.

WhiteSox5187
07-15-2013, 06:37 PM
I am not trying to bash Thornton by any means, but didn't he get sent down to AAA at one point during 2007? I could have swore at one point he was sent down and maybe it was a rehab thing, but it isn't listed in baseball-reference. Maybe I am just going crazy!

tstrike2000
07-15-2013, 07:41 PM
Thanks Matt for your first handful of years here.

Huisj
07-15-2013, 10:12 PM
I am not trying to bash Thornton by any means, but didn't he get sent down to AAA at one point during 2007? I could have swore at one point he was sent down and maybe it was a rehab thing, but it isn't listed in baseball-reference. Maybe I am just going crazy!

I don't recall that happening.

Hitmen77
07-16-2013, 08:59 AM

Yep, he was the classic "Coop will fix him" pickup. If I remember correctly, Cooper met with Thornton right after the trade was made and told him to throw strikes instead of trying to nibble at the corners.

I thought that Borchard and Thornton were both out of options when the trade was made. If so, then I don't think the Sox could have sent Thornton down without losing him.