PDA

View Full Version : Catcher Josh Phegley

#1swisher
07-12-2013, 12:30 PM
Matthew Pouliot thinks Josh Phegley is the new big thing.
Phegleys' eight RBI through five games is tied for the 10th highest total in big league history.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/11/josh-phegley-is-the-new-yasiel-puig/

The Charlotte Observer did a on him recently:
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/07/02/4144588/knights-catcher-overcomes-struggles.html

pythons007
07-12-2013, 12:35 PM
A caller on the Boers and Bernstein show referred to him as Johnny Bench. Um, guys, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Sure it's a nice start for him, but um...Gillespie started out pretty good too...so uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh, let's see how a couple weeks, a month serve him before we anoint him to anything.

Now he's playing great don't get me wrong, but let's see how he keeps it going.

Steelrod
07-12-2013, 12:47 PM
So far, so good. IF he succeeds, there will still be plenty of bumps in the road. Enjoy this for as long as it lasts, and keep your fingers crossed about his future.

MeteorsSox4367
07-12-2013, 12:51 PM
All I want is someone who can catch the ball, throw out most runners trying to steal and handle the pitching staff. If the catcher hits .260 or .270 with 10-12 homers per season, that would be cool, too.

I hope this isn't asking too much.

BigKlu59
07-12-2013, 01:06 PM
All I want is someone who can catch the ball, throw out most runners trying to steal and handle the pitching staff. If the catcher hits .260 or .270 with 10-12 homers per season, that would be cool, too.

I hope this isn't asking too much.

Considering what we had to start this season, this would be a God send. I as well could live with a competancy level such as this. I guess we got spoiled having Pudge and AJ wearing the tools of ignorance.

BK59

hawkjt
07-12-2013, 01:17 PM
A caller on the Boers and Bernstein show referred to him as Johnny Bench. Um, guys, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Sure it's a nice start for him, but um...Gillespie started out pretty good too...so uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh, let's see how a couple weeks, a month serve him before we anoint him to anything.

I heard that caller. He said that Phegley ''kind of reminds me of Johnny Bench''.....in B & B's world,that translated to the entire delusional White Sox fan base saying that he is the next Johnny Bench,so they went on and on about that opinion for the next hour.

Those guys hate Hawk so much,it has not spilled over to the Sox in general. They worship Theo so much,he can do no wrong,while Hahn and the Sox are just not as smart as Theo.

It is baseball....fans and media always try to compare players to past stars. Bench was short and stocky,right handed and swung for power,hence the comparison to Phegley who has hit 3 homers and 8 rbis in his first five games....who should fans compare him to at this point? Tyler Flowers?

Mr. Jinx
07-12-2013, 01:28 PM

Wow, I thought it was tough to beat some of the posters here in terms of ridiculous expectations for callups and soon to be callups, but that takes the cake!

kittle42
07-12-2013, 01:36 PM
Wow, I thought it was tough to beat some of the posters here in terms of ridiculous expectations for callups and soon to be callups, but that takes the cake!

Hey, his metrics right now are similar to Adam Dunn, and everyone hates him!

DSpivack
07-12-2013, 01:46 PM
He's 4-for-20. People need to calm down.

pythons007
07-12-2013, 01:49 PM
He's 4-for-20. People need to calm down.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut 75% of those 4 hits were dingers. So over the course of 162 games, he's on pace for 75 homers!!! Look out home run king!!!

JB98
07-12-2013, 01:50 PM
I heard that caller. He said that Phegley ''kind of reminds me of Johnny Bench''.....in B & B's world,that translated to the entire delusional White Sox fan base saying that he is the next Johnny Bench,so they went on and on about that opinion for the next hour.

Those guys hate Hawk so much,it has not spilled over to the Sox in general. They worship Theo so much,he can do no wrong,while Hahn and the Sox are just not as smart as Theo.

It is baseball....fans and media always try to compare players to past stars. Bench was short and stocky,right handed and swung for power,hence the comparison to Phegley who has hit 3 homers and 8 rbis in his first five games....who should fans compare him to at this point? Tyler Flowers?

Yeah, the whole perception is amusing to me. Not just B & B, but in general.

Sox fans are subject to scorn for being excited about Josh Phegley, whose three home runs have been off David Price, Matt Garza and Anibal Sanchez -- three established MLB starters. Yes, it's only 20 ABs and he could still flame out, but I don't see the harm in being happy about the handful of things we have to be happy about as Sox fans.

Cubs fans are allowed to be excited every time Baez hits a home run in Double-A or Almora goes 3-for-4 in low-A ball. Why shouldn't Sox fans be allowed to be happy about a prospect coming up to the majors and getting a few big hits against established MLB pitchers?

DeadMoney
07-12-2013, 01:52 PM
He's clearly on the juice.

Seriously though, let's wait a little longer before we make ridiculous comparisons. Heck, even waiting a full year of games might be a mistake. Just look at Geovanny Soto.

jdm2662
07-12-2013, 01:54 PM

It wouldn't put it past me that Bernstein has his buddies call in to the show to spew this crap. He's got to tell the world how smart he is.

DeadMoney
07-12-2013, 01:54 PM
Yeah, the whole perception is amusing to me. Not just B & B, but in general.

Sox fans are subject to scorn for being excited about Josh Phegley, whose three home runs have been off David Price, Matt Garza and Anibal Sanchez -- three established MLB starters. Yes, it's only 20 ABs and he could still flame out, but I don't see the harm in being happy about the handful of things we have to be happy about as Sox fans.

Cubs fans are allowed to be excited every time Baez hits a home run in Double-A or Almora goes 3-for-4 in low-A ball. Why shouldn't Sox fans be allowed to be happy about a prospect coming up to the majors and getting a few big hits against established MLB pitchers?

Being happy is fine, just making any comparison to a Hall of Famer after less than a week in the big leagues is a bit much. I'm happy, and he's become a reason to tune in. But beyond that, success in baseball is fickle and sometimes fleeting.

cards press box
07-12-2013, 02:00 PM
It is, of course, possible that Phegley's health issues are resolved and being healthy, he is showing the talent that made him one of the better catchers in college baseball while at Indiana.

Phegley is certainly a bright spot right now and, hopefully, a harbinger of the good things to come from the young talent that the Sox may acquire in the upcoming deadline deals that everyone anticipates.

kittle42
07-12-2013, 02:00 PM
Tuffy Rhodes was being heralded as Babe Ruth after one game.

We are looking nearly as silly.

Flowers homered in the opener. Some likely thought, "Well, it was OK to not have AJ!"

Not saying Phegley won't be good or even great, but come on. Let's not sound like people posting on the Sox page on Facebook.

beasly213
07-12-2013, 02:14 PM
FYI that caller was from the Sox Postgame show. I think B & B were just playing a clip.

DumpJerry
07-12-2013, 02:20 PM
Check back with me in April. I want to see how the league adjusts to him after they have thoroughly scouted him and if he can adjust. Then we'll know if he's the Real Deal.

rdivaldi
07-12-2013, 02:22 PM
Check back with me in April. I want to see how the league adjusts to him after they have thoroughly scouted him and if he can adjust. Then we'll know if he's the Real Deal.

Actually that's still too early. I'd be hard pressed to believe in a guy after half a season in the big leagues.

rdivaldi
07-12-2013, 02:23 PM
FYI that caller was from the Sox Postgame show. I think B & B were just playing a clip.

Dan & Terry are on the record as not believing in Phegley from all the way back in April/May. They'll badmouth him just to stay consistent, so don't expect any kind words from them.

DumpJerry
07-12-2013, 02:38 PM
Actually that's still too early. I'd be hard pressed to believe in a guy after half a season in the big leagues.
Given how much playing time he seems to be getting, three months of film at The Show, plus AAA film should be enough for most teams to spot his weaknesses and strengths.

JB98
07-12-2013, 02:42 PM
Dan & Terry are on the record as not believing in Phegley from all the way back in April/May. They'll badmouth him just to stay consistent, so don't expect any kind words from them.

And they don't like him just because he's a Sox prospect. Which is kind of my point. They'll go out of their way to piss on the Sox organization. Not that the Sox organization doesn't deserve criticism for what we've seen this year. But no reason for hope is allowed on the South Side in Dan and Terry's world.

JB98
07-12-2013, 02:45 PM
Being happy is fine, just making any comparison to a Hall of Famer after less than a week in the big leagues is a bit much. I'm happy, and he's become a reason to tune in. But beyond that, success in baseball is fickle and sometimes fleeting.

Well, of course comparisons to Bench are ridiculous after just one week. But the issue is those guys assign that one outlandish assertion to an entire fan base and ridicule everyone who is hopeful that the kid will stick.

Maybe it's just schtick. You'd like to think so.

Harry Chappas
07-12-2013, 03:21 PM
And they don't like him just because he's a Sox prospect. Which is kind of my point. They'll go out of their way to piss on the Sox organization. Not that the Sox organization doesn't deserve criticism for what we've seen this year. But no reason for hope is allowed on the South Side in Dan and Terry's world.

I'm a regular listener to B&B and they've actually been Phegley "supporters" from at least as far back as spring training. Sure, they'll have a little fun with fans suggesting he's the second coming of Johnny Bench, but they've been pretty positive about him. Or, at least 'positive' for them. Also, they had him on the show on 7/9. You can listen to the interview at the Score's website.

Bernstein's a Sox fan. His attitude wouldn't be at all out of place on this board. To suggest they don't like him simply because he's a Sox prospect doesn't ring true at all.

#1swisher
07-12-2013, 03:24 PM
No one is calling Phegley "Rookie of the Century"!!! :redneck

Remember this article? :redface:
http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/rookie-of-the-century/Content?oid=1109407

soxfanreggie
07-12-2013, 03:42 PM
It is, of course, possible that Phegley's health issues are resolved and being healthy, he is showing the talent that made him one of the better catchers in college baseball while at Indiana.

Phegley is certainly a bright spot right now and, hopefully, a harbinger of the good things to come from the young talent that the Sox may acquire in the upcoming deadline deals that everyone anticipates.

Hopefully this. The book has not been written about him yet. Once the film is broken down, let's hope he's still a spark for us.

If we could get an above average defensive catcher who can hit above .250, I'd be ecstatic. Then, I'd take someone like Flowers as a back-up. There's a long career ahead of him if he can do a good job as a back-up.

rdivaldi
07-12-2013, 03:44 PM
Given how much playing time he seems to be getting, three months of film at The Show, plus AAA film should be enough for most teams to spot his weaknesses and strengths.

Identifying strengths and weaknesses are one thing, but actually executing a game plan against a hitter is another. I've just seen too many young guys tear it up for half a season (or even an entire season) just to tank the very next year.

Being a Hoosier and Sox fan, I'm pulling for Josh all the way.

balke
07-12-2013, 03:56 PM
The night I watched him, I saw some pretty sloppy play behind the plate. He can hit, not sure how good the defense is (he's been successful at throwing out runners).

I'm excited by his play. I read a prediction of .300 hitter with low .OBP and high power. That's awesome. Let's not use the word Bench for about 3 years if possible.

JB98
07-12-2013, 04:55 PM
I'm a regular listener to B&B and they've actually been Phegley "supporters" from at least as far back as spring training. Sure, they'll have a little fun with fans suggesting he's the second coming of Johnny Bench, but they've been pretty positive about him. Or, at least 'positive' for them. Also, they had him on the show on 7/9. You can listen to the interview at the Score's website.

Bernstein's a Sox fan. His attitude wouldn't be at all out of place on this board. To suggest they don't like him simply because he's a Sox prospect doesn't ring true at all.

The bottom line is if I called B&B and compared Phegley to say, Russell Martin, I'd be laughed off the air and told Phegley has no prayer of ever becoming a .250 hitter who averages about 15 home runs in a season like Martin.

That's their schtick. That's who they are.

No thanks, I'll take a pass on the Score's website.

ElevenUp
07-12-2013, 05:00 PM
Identifying strengths and weaknesses are one thing, but actually executing a game plan against a hitter is another. I've just seen too many young guys tear it up for half a season (or even an entire season) just to tank the very next year.

Being a Hoosier and Sox fan, I'm pulling for Josh all the way.

This exactly how I feel as well.

slavko
07-12-2013, 06:38 PM

Nailed it. I guess not listening is a skill as well. Dan's a big Sox fan. Terry is too but he hides it. But they can be too enthusiastically negative and Theo seems to have caught their fancy at the moment.

Phegley seems vulnerable to biting on the big slider a foot outside at the knees. No, I'm not a scout. Check it out tonight.

TDog
07-12-2013, 06:41 PM
Tuffy Rhodes was being heralded as Babe Ruth after one game.

We are looking nearly as silly.

Flowers homered in the opener. Some likely thought, "Well, it was OK to not have AJ!"

Not saying Phegley won't be good or even great, but come on. Let's not sound like people posting on the Sox page on Facebook.

The Flowers home run in the opener drove in the only run in a 1-0 game. The Flowers home run in the season's second game put the Sox ahead for good. After only a few games of Flowers starting, things were looking good for him offensively. He was getting other hits, but at the time, the Sox weren't doing a very good job at getting men on base. What the White Sox had to start the season as catcher was a huge part of their offense. That pretty much dissipated when the Sox hit the road after winning 4 of their first 6.

I actually like Phegley. I hope he turns out to be the best IU baseball product since Ted Kluszewski. I hope Phegley hits more World Series home runs in a White Sox uniform than Kluszewski did (I think Kluszewski holds the team record with 3 in 6 games). But Phegley isn't tearing the cover off the ball. He has a batting average of .200 and an on-base percentage of .190. He has 50 percent more strikeout than hits. He appears to have a better swing than Flowers. He even appears to make more contact, though I don't know if that can be shown statistically.

I have no problem with fans getting excited over players. After Daryl Boston's first game, I was excited for the future. Hitting leadoff, he tripled in his first major league at bat and ended up going 3-for-5. At this moment, Tyler Flowers has a better batting average than Phegley. Johnny Bench was a long time ago, but Phegley doesn't compare to what Buster Posey did for the Giants when he came up in May 2010.

Really, Phegley isn't a quantum improvement over Flowers (who, as I posted in the opening day game thread, is no Posey). I see more potential in Phegley than Flowers. If I were seeing Buster Posey potential or even Johnny Bench potential I might be excited.

As it is, I haven't jumped on the bandwagon and can only hope it runs long enough that I can be late jumping on.

Tragg
07-14-2013, 12:50 PM
I see Phegley played some 2B yesterday. Another Biggio!

Wedema
07-14-2013, 04:52 PM
Uh, oh. Phegley leaves the game after taking a foul ball off of his right hand in the bottom of the ninth.

amsteel
07-14-2013, 05:01 PM
Uh, oh. Phegley leaves the game after taking a foul ball off of his right hand in the bottom of the ninth.

Tyler Flowers has a really good voodoo doll, apparently.

Fastball23
07-14-2013, 05:22 PM
Mark Gonzales ‏@MDGonzales 2m (https://twitter.com/MDGonzales/status/356523186713665536)
X-X-rays on phegley negative

SBSoxFan
07-14-2013, 05:55 PM
Mark Gonzales ‏@MDGonzales 2m (https://twitter.com/MDGonzales/status/356523186713665536)
X-X-rays on phegley negative

I won't be convinced until they get results from the XXX-rays. :tongue:

kittle42
08-06-2013, 11:00 PM
It's only 74 ABs, but his OPS is now below that of Tyler Flowers.

WhiteSox5187
08-06-2013, 11:18 PM
It's only 74 ABs, but his OPS is now below that of Tyler Flowers.

He is also showing a similar problem with consistently catching the ball.

kittle42
08-07-2013, 09:32 AM
He is also showing a similar problem with consistently catching the ball.

True - I mean, 70+ ABs is not enough to judge a guy, but at least they are giving him a chance.

Catcher needs a severe upgrade next season.

Domeshot17
08-07-2013, 09:56 AM
It is early, but he can't hit a curveball. I mean, that book on him has been so obvious. How many at bats has he seen nothing but diet of Curves or Sliders.

WhiteSox5187
08-07-2013, 10:20 AM
It is early, but he can't hit a curveball. I mean, that book on him has been so obvious. How many at bats has he seen nothing but diet of Curves or Sliders.

You mentioned that on Sunday before the game and I hadn't been following the Sox as much or Phegley but I made a point of watching Phegley's at bats, sure enough, nothing but breaking balls away. He looked hopeless.

Hitmen77
08-07-2013, 11:11 AM

Jobu needs a refill.

TaylorStSox
08-07-2013, 11:21 AM
He hasn't drawn a walk yet either. I'm not a fan of his swing.

JB98
08-07-2013, 01:15 PM

Yeah, it's not real hard to figure out what is going on with Phegley. Most of these breaking balls he's swinging at are not strikes. That's really the biggest issue. Pitchers are going to continue to throw it down and out of the zone until he proves he can lay off it.

It's possible he's just overanxious. He's a young kid trying to play his way into the White Sox future plans. In his situation, it's hard to be patient at the plate, but he needs to be if he wants to play for this team next year and beyond.