PDA

View Full Version : *Official* That Was Nice Postgame Thread

thomas35forever
07-11-2013, 04:27 PM
Don't understand much about this season. Taking 2 of 3 from the Tigers in their place? Not what I expected, but I'll take it.

MeteorsSox4367
07-11-2013, 04:29 PM
Good way to spend the workday, listening to a White Sox winner. Heck, Farmer even made me laugh when he chastised Leyland for his outburst.

Phegley a granny, Sale a win. Nice.

harwar
07-11-2013, 04:31 PM
Enjoyable series .. . i watch every game and i'm pretty much just ignoring the standings and hoping to see more games like i've seen in this series .. i realize how bad this team has been, but i was actually shocked when Hawk said that this was the Sox first series win on the road..

thomas35forever
07-11-2013, 04:32 PM
Enjoyable series .. . i watch every game and i'm pretty much just ignoring the standings and hoping to see more games like i've seen in this series .. i realize how bad this team has been, but i was actually shocked when Hawk said that this was the Sox first series win on the road..
I believe he said it was their fourth.

doublem23
07-11-2013, 04:45 PM
Now they slap around the Tigers like it's no thing

:gah:

LITTLE NELL
07-11-2013, 04:47 PM
I believe he said it was their fourth.

It was indeed their fourth.

LITTLE NELL
07-11-2013, 04:55 PM
Alexei had to leave the game, wondering how Beckham looked taking over at short? Any tough plays or throws?

cards press box
07-11-2013, 04:56 PM
http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/josh_phegley.jpg

That is a White Sox winner!

shingo10
07-11-2013, 05:21 PM
Whether it was intentional or not Sale's buzzing of Fielder was pretty much the end of the Tigers offense for the day. We'll take it.

JP's grand slam was awesome. Great AB, hopefully he stays in the lineup.

24thStFan
07-11-2013, 05:25 PM
After Phegley hit his slam that was the most emotion I've seen from the team this year. Nice scene in the the dugout...way to go kid!

amsteel
07-11-2013, 05:27 PM
Tyler Flowers is not happy.

voodoochile
07-11-2013, 05:31 PM

**** Mr. Pipp...

:soxwin:

hawkjt
07-11-2013, 05:39 PM
Now they slap around the Tigers like it's no thing

:gah:

No pressure, I expect the Sox to play loose and beat the uptight Tigers in this seasons series.

Tigers reliever corp is the suck.

October26
07-11-2013, 05:55 PM

:bliss:

It is really great to see the spark this young man has brought to our Sox in what has otherwise been a miserable season. Tank is still my favorite current Sox player but Phegley (c'mon Hawk we need a nickname for this kid) is quickly becoming a favorite of mine.

I was at work today so I could not watch the game. I am looking forward to getting home and watching the replay of this game on my DVR tonight.

TDog
07-11-2013, 06:02 PM
**** Mr. Pipp...

Flowers actually didn't get off to a bad start, hitting home runs in his each of his first two games. He was hitting for a better average, .333, after his first five games. But Phegley seems to have a better shorter swing. He's been better with men on base. Despite Phegley's passed balls, he seems to be playing better defense.

Sale channeling Axelrod today and getting help from his defense. A nifty head-in-the game double-play started at first kept one run from scoring and Viciedo, who has a very nice arm for a left flelder, hooked up with Phegley to keep another run off the board. Sale easily could have given up more runs today and was hit hard after the first.

A nice day for the Sox and poorly played today by the Tigers, who didn't play so poorly against the Sox last year. Centerfield defense was weak and set up the grand slam. Better baserunning could have led to more runs.

And throwing behind a hitter is asking to get tossed from the game, even if no warnings have been issued. Hitters tend to be more accepting of pitches inside than the pitches behind them, which is probably why Ramirez was so characteristically upset. Complain that it is unfair to eject a pitcher without a warning, but I rarely see a pitcher throw behind a hitter and not get ejected. I saw an Angels game a few years ago where throwing behind the first hitter in the top of the first got a pitcher ejected.

Beating Verlander this week was nice. Taking the series was nice. The White Sox this week averaged seven runs a game in Detroit and really were a few clutch pitches shy of sweeping the series.

Crestani
07-11-2013, 06:05 PM

Who gives a ****...???:scratch:

Wedema
07-11-2013, 06:06 PM

I still can't get over that during Phegley's first home game on Monday vs. the Cubs, the Sox put on the scoreboard that he was from Indiana State University.

tstrike2000
07-11-2013, 06:07 PM

The favor is just getting returned to him since he's made us unhappy since the beginning of the season.

Tragg
07-11-2013, 06:32 PM
I don't know if PHegley can defend the position.
But it sure looks like he can hit and I'm sure he can at least learn to play outfield. HOpefully, at least one hole filled. And if Flowers could just catch the ball, I'd be okay with him at catcher.

voodoochile
07-11-2013, 06:40 PM
I don't know if PHegley can defend the position.
But it sure looks like he can hit and I'm sure he can at least learn to play outfield. HOpefully, at least one hole filled. And if Flowers could just catch the ball, I'd be okay with him at catcher.

If Phegley can hit but not play catcher the first place I'd see him playing is at 1B. There's a job opening there coming soon...

BainesHOF
07-11-2013, 07:01 PM
Someone needs to ask Hahn why it took so long to promote Phegley. His home runs are now meaningless for this season.

slavko
07-11-2013, 07:13 PM
Someone needs to ask Hahn why it took so long to promote Phegley. His home runs are now meaningless for this season.

4 for 20 with 3 HR. Don't write him in the HOF yet.

The Immigrant
07-11-2013, 07:41 PM
Someone needs to ask Hahn why it took so long to promote Phegley.

Arbitration clock.

BainesHOF
07-11-2013, 07:44 PM

Nobody has put him in the HOF yet. My point is he should have been brought up in mid-May when it would have mattered. His early production and energy have clearly provided a spark.

October26
07-11-2013, 08:42 PM
I'm watching my DVR version of this game and actually got a headache watching the first 5 innings; should have just fast-forwarded to the 6th inning. Kudos to Josh Phegley for hitting that grand slam which was oh so sweet. :bandance: I loved that awesome call by Hawk. :D:

StillMissOzzie
07-11-2013, 09:18 PM
After Phegley hit his slam that was the most emotion I've seen from the team this year. Nice scene in the the dugout...way to go kid!

Anything that gives Flowers another boot in the ass towards the door is fine by me, winning the game at this point is a bonus.

Boo ****ing hoo

**** Mr. Pipp...

:soxwin:

I actually had the same thought the other day! Make Flowers an afterthought on this dreadful season.

SMO
:gulp:

Chez
07-11-2013, 09:22 PM

At the game on Monday night, the Sox [not so] Jumbotron stated that Phegley attended Indiana State University. Just because he's from Terra Haute, doesn't mean he's a Sycamore. Morons.

Brian26
07-11-2013, 09:54 PM

Yeah, I watch his progress with cautious optimism because Josh Fields' September 2007 and Morel's September 2011 are still fresh in mind. Still, it is nice to see. The last time a player came up and put the entire team on his back was probably Frank in 1990.

WhiteSox5187
07-11-2013, 09:56 PM
What happened that caused the benches to clear? I didn't get a chance to see any of the game.

Also while it is nice that Phegley is hitting, I am going to wait until the league sees him for the second time. I hope he hits well and can improve his defense but I am not totally sold on him being the long term answer at any position.

Brian26
07-11-2013, 09:57 PM
What happened that caused the benches to clear? I didn't get a chance to see any of the game.

Is this game being rebroadcast on CSN? I missed it also.

WhiteSox5187
07-11-2013, 09:58 PM
Is this game being rebroadcast on CSN? I missed it also.

Cubs-Cardinals are on right now.

Brian26
07-11-2013, 10:06 PM
http://wapc.mlb.com/cws/play/?tcid=mm_cws_vid&c_id=cws&content_id=28809929

just found this video, which pretty much summarizes the game.

TDog
07-11-2013, 10:26 PM

Also while it is nice that Phegley is hitting, I am going to wait until the league sees him for the second time. I hope he hits well and can improve his defense but I am not totally sold on him being the long term answer at any position.

Putkonen threw a pitch behind Ramirez. Ramirez immediately stepped out of the box, pointed toward the mound and started walking toward Putkonen. The home plate umpire ejected Putkonen, the catcher grabbed Ramirez and the benches cleared. Eventually, people came in from the bullpen.

Earlier, Sale threw high and tight to Fielder after Cabrera homered. He didn't hit him, and no warnings were issued. Leyland was ejected after arguing, I'm guessing that there had been no warnings issued before the ejection.

And, really, Phegley isn't hitting better than Flowers did his first week of the season. Flowers and Beckham were the top hitters on the team the first week in the season. On opening day, he homered in a 1-0 win. I think the postgame thread was "AJ who?" or something like that. In the second game of the season, Flowers homered to break a 1-1 tie to put the Sox in front for good in a 5-2 in.

Railsplitter
07-11-2013, 11:01 PM
And, really, Phegley isn't hitting better than Flowers did his first week of the season. Flowers and Beckham were the top hitters on the team the first week in the season. On opening day, he homered in a 1-0 win. I think the postgame thread was "AJ who?" or something like that. In the second game of the season, Flowers homered to break a 1-1 tie to put the Sox in front for good in a 5-2 in.

I remember it well. I even remember some smart ass suggesting the left field stands being called Flowers' Garden.

MISoxfan
07-11-2013, 11:22 PM
So what? Just because Flowers had a good first week we're supposed to be extra cautious with our enthusiasm for Phegley?

Are we supposed to do this for anyone who comes up and hits 3 hrs in his first week, or just Phegley because he happens to play the same position as Flowers?

TDog
07-12-2013, 12:30 AM
So what? Just because Flowers had a good first week we're supposed to be extra cautious with our enthusiasm for Phegley?

Are we supposed to do this for anyone who comes up and hits 3 hrs in his first week, or just Phegley because he happens to play the same position as Flowers?

It's a matter of perspective. Flowers' first five games were better offensively than Phegley's first five games, although Phegley hit one more home run. Phegley has an unimpressive batting average, and his on-base percentage is lower than his batting average. I don't know if Flowers had two passed balls in his first five games.

I'm happy for a fellow IU allum and hope he develops into a solid major leaguer, but the excitement over his offense is out of proportion to what he has done offensively.

rainbow6
07-12-2013, 01:03 AM
It's a matter of perspective. Flowers' first five games were better offensively than Phegley's first five games, although Phegley hit one more home run. Phegley has an unimpressive batting average, and his on-base percentage is lower than his batting average. I don't know if Flowers had two passed balls in his first five games.

I'm happy for a fellow IU allum and hope he develops into a solid major leaguer, but the excitement over his offense is out of proportion to what he has done offensively.

Do you realize that some of the things Phegley has done this week haven't been done by a Sox rookie in centuries? Flowers first five games were better than Phegley's?

What did he have two or three RBI?

What is that statement based on?

MISoxfan
07-12-2013, 01:12 AM
It's fine to say that his first 5 games haven't been that great because he's only hitting .200. It still doesn't have anything to do with Flowers first 4 games in his third major league season. I'm sure everyone here is aware that he could go for 0 for the next 5 games like Flowers did.

I don't think there is anything wrong with being optimistic about him. It doesn't cost anything.

TomBradley72
07-12-2013, 08:28 AM
It's mid summer- and a rookie, midwestern kid call up has had a great first week- I'm just going to enjoy that for what it is- he'll have to adjust as the pichers adjust to him, etc.- but for now- it's a highlight of a horrible season. I remember a kid named Ricky Seilheimer being called up- having a few good games- then flaming out- but it's always fun to watch while it lasts.

A few years ago- I saw Lucas Harell win an emergency start- 5 inning win, by the skin of his teeth (dodged a grand slam by about 2 feet). Just seeing a kid "beeming" from his his first major league win on a warm summer night- that's why I love baseball- and it's my favorite sport by far-

DSpivack
07-12-2013, 01:50 PM
Do you realize that some of the things Phegley has done this week haven't been done by a Sox rookie in centuries? Flowers first five games were better than Phegley's?

What did he have two or three RBI?

What is that statement based on?

Flowers started off this season 5 for his first 12. Phegley is 4-20. I don't see why the RsBI matter.

Crestani
07-12-2013, 03:42 PM
As Jim Leyland was walking back to the clubhouse he was probably quoting Paul Newman in the movie Butch Cassidy, "Who are those guys?":scratch:

WLL1855
07-12-2013, 06:46 PM
Flowers started off this season 5 for his first 12. Phegley is 4-20. I don't see why the RsBI matter.

Is this really an argument? We need bigger problems. Oh wait. We have some.