PDA

View Full Version : Hawk documentary coming to MLB Network

thomas35forever
07-11-2013, 02:46 PM
http://www.shermanreport.com/put-it-on-board-hawk-harrelson-to-be-featured-in-new-mlb-network-documentary/
Will be narrated by Bob Costas. Won't be able to see it first-run on July 18, but hope it's rerun several times.

Harry Potter
07-11-2013, 02:57 PM
It should be titled, TWTW

amsteel
07-11-2013, 04:19 PM
It better be a dramatization of his autobiography.

TDog
07-11-2013, 04:34 PM
Ken Harrelson was one of the bad boy/counter culture baseball stars of the late 1960s. He introduced batting gloves and apparently clubhouse hairdryers to major league baseball. He irritated Charley Finley to the point where Finley simply released him before the Red Sox picked him up in their incredible 1967 run. He announced he was quitting the game at one point to pursue professional golf because he didn't like the fact that he had been traded to the Indians.

I had a book about the history of the Oakland A's (which I have since sold), and it gave an entire breakout page to Ken Harrelson, noting his contributions to the franchise and baseball, although the team jettisoned him before they left Kansas City.

Foulke You
07-11-2013, 04:39 PM
Ken Harrelson was one of the bad boy/counter culture baseball stars of the late 1960s. He introduced batting gloves and apparently clubhouse hairdryers to major league baseball. He irritated Charley Finley to the point where Finley simply released him before the Red Sox picked him up in their incredible 1967 run. He announced he was quitting the game at one point to pursue professional golf because he didn't like the fact that he had been traded to the Indians.

I had a book about the history of the Oakland A's (which I have since sold), and it gave an entire breakout page to Ken Harrelson, noting his contributions to the franchise and baseball, although the team jettisoned him before they left Kansas City.
I look forward to this documentary. Hawk has had an interesting career both as a player and a broadcaster. Ruffling feathers and being a polarizing figure everywhere he goes. I personally love Hawk but to many fans, he is public enemy #1. Anyone who elicits that type of emotion would make for an interesting documentary if done right.

Foulke You
07-11-2013, 04:40 PM
How about "Parts of Seven Decades" :cool:

amsteel
07-11-2013, 04:48 PM
How about "Parts of Seven Decades" :cool:

'Dang Nabbit'

KingXerxes
07-15-2013, 08:00 AM
God help us.

Golden Sox
07-15-2013, 08:49 AM
I've always like Hawk. I'm looking forward to the special. I'm wondering if Jay Mariotti is going to be interviewed. Then again , I wonder if Hawk is going to be asked of his opinion of Mariotti. If you really think about Mariotti now I think it's easy to say that he's a has been.

eriqjaffe
07-15-2013, 09:20 AM
'Dang Nabbit'"Lord, Have Mercy". But you have to say the title quietly, and precede it with 13 seconds of silence.

WhiteSox5187
07-15-2013, 12:09 PM
God help us.

My hope is that this is a sign that Hawk is getting ready to retire.

Paulwny
07-15-2013, 12:17 PM
My hope is that this is a sign that Hawk is getting ready to retire.

Todays Trib, statement from the Hawk, " I love it and I would like to die in a booth. I really would. If I could write my own script,I would just keel over one day and say, He gone."

thomas35forever
07-15-2013, 12:42 PM
Todays Trib, statement from the Hawk, " I love it and I would like to die in a booth. I really would. If I could write my own script,I would just keel over one day and say, He gone."
If Harry Kalas can do it, so can he. He also took this one step further in the Sun-Times today and said his wife joked he can barely stand him six months out of the year, so imagine 12.

Boondock Saint
07-15-2013, 12:46 PM
If Harry Kalas can do it, so can he. He also took this one step further in the Sun-Times today and said his wife joked he can barely stand him six months out of the year, so imagine 12.

We know the feeling.

soltrain21
07-15-2013, 12:56 PM

Well, his mind and broadcasting ability are already gone. Isn't that close enough?

Bobby Thigpen
07-15-2013, 01:37 PM
I really think the reason Hawk has become so unlistenable is Stone. When he is paired with Wimpy in their short runs he's a different guy. The hatred between him and Stone, along with the Sox play, is making for terrible TV.

fungo bat
07-15-2013, 02:39 PM
Forget Costas, they should get Boers and Bernstein from the Score to host the program. After all, Hawk claims those two guys actually invented baseball, football, basketball and hockey.

Steelrod
07-15-2013, 02:52 PM
I really think the reason Hawk has become so unlistenable is Stone. When he is paired with Wimpy in their short runs he's a different guy. The hatred between him and Stone, along with the Sox play, is making for terrible TV.
So you are suggesting the lack of hatred between Hawk and Wimpy? Or for that matter, Hawk and whoever he's working with!

Foulke You
07-15-2013, 02:55 PM
I actually think the broadcasts have been better this year than last season. They seem to be making more of an effort to engage each other in conversations about the game and the issues afflicting our team. I don't sense nearly as much tension between them as I did last year. One thing I do know is that Hawk, Stone, Farmer, and DJ are all earning their money this year. Those four guys need to describe 9 innings (sometimes more) of a truly awful and dead ass baseball team just about every single day.

fisk4ever
07-15-2013, 06:23 PM
I understand that Hawk enjoys his job (most of the time). If he understood how much his abilities have declined, how tired his act is, would he want to continue?

TaylorStSox
07-15-2013, 07:22 PM
Maybe they can hire a new broadcaster, leave Hawk in the booth and mute his mic. Just don't tell him. That way everyone's happy.

Chez
07-18-2013, 09:59 AM
It's on tonight at 6 pm on the MLB Network. I plan to sit back, relax and strap it down. :D:

Bobby Thigpen
07-18-2013, 10:27 AM
So you are suggesting the lack of hatred between Hawk and Wimpy? Or for that matter, Hawk and whoever he's working with!
Compared to he and Stone basically ignoring each other all the time, yes.

MeteorsSox4367
07-18-2013, 11:24 AM
Will there be a special introduction from Yaz?

SouthSideMike
07-18-2013, 12:44 PM
To be fair to Stone, Harrelson doesn't really offer much in terms of conversational hooks to bring Stone into the discussion.

Stone is very knowledgeable, but I've heard he's kind of a jerk to be around outside the booth.

I personally think they both should go, and the Sox should put a completely new team there.

I used to dislike DJ, but I actually think he does a better job on the radio than he did on TV, so maybe you leave the radio crew alone.

But clearly the TV broadcast needs a major overhaul, especially if they are going to be bad for a few seasons, since Hawk is absolutely insufferable when the team is playing poorly due to his personality and homer mentality.

KingXerxes
07-18-2013, 12:51 PM
In what I'm sure will go down as one of the strangest interviews ever, Ken Harrelson was on the WSCR morning show this morning.

In the interview, and I'm not making this up, Harrelson said the he (Ken) and he (Hawk) are different people, and many a time Hawk had to tell Ken to get out of the way. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, and say he was just trying to illustrate different aspects of his single personality, but he just kept going and going even speaking of his 2nd personality in the third "person".

Still and all though, it was completely Harrelson. Create a second personality and you create a deniability for ever having done anything stupid, embarrassing or wrong. Just blame it on the other guy who occupies your head.

DeadMoney
07-18-2013, 01:10 PM
In what I'm sure will go down as one of the strangest interviews ever, Ken Harrelson was on the WSCR morning show this morning.

In the interview, and I'm not making this up, Harrelson said the he (Ken) and he (Hawk) are different people, and many a time Hawk had to tell Ken to get out of the way. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, and say he was just trying to illustrate different aspects of his single personality, but he just kept going and going even speaking of his 2nd personality in the third "person".

Still and all though, it was completely Harrelson. Create a second personality and you create a deniability for ever having done anything stupid, embarrassing or wrong. Just blame it on the other guy who occupies your head.

I heard it too, and boy was it bizarre.

But an interesting point I learned today... Hawk played in the '72 Open Championship at Muirfield (http://www.majorschampionships.com/open-championship/news/2013/06/21/1972--british-open-results.html).

I also just found this interesting piece on Hawk from SI in '66 (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1078292/3/index.htm). I always thought his stories were a bit far-fetched and that he was embellishing a bit. Maybe I should take his stories more seriously...

Golden Sox
07-18-2013, 01:14 PM
From what I know Hawk is signed up to broadcast the White Sox for a few more years. That being the case, I would think Stone would probably be the one to leave. I've always been under the impression that Stone doesn't especially like announcing for the White Sox. He's made a number of comments in the past about the White Sox attendance and his comments weren't good. I've met him a few times, both as a player and announcer. I think the one best word I could use to describe him would be arrogant. I hope he's gone after this season. At his age I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't hookup with another full time job as an announcer.

Domeshot17
07-18-2013, 01:17 PM
FYI the stories about Stone are... TOTALLY... true. He is one of the biggest jerks ever away from the booth.

eriqjaffe
07-18-2013, 01:18 PM
I used to dislike DJ, but I actually think he does a better job on the radio than he did on TV, so maybe you leave the radio crew alone.I agree, although I think that DJ still leans a bit too heavily on goofy catchphrases. "Ya-ka-tow," anyone?

KingXerxes
07-18-2013, 01:29 PM
I also just found this interesting piece on Hawk from SI in '66 (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1078292/3/index.htm). I always thought his stories were a bit far-fetched and that he was embellishing a bit. Maybe I should take his stories more seriously...

:hawk

"I never embellish anything, the other guy does. I just make them up."

"I do not - you do."

"Shut up"

"No you shut up."

:hawk :hawk

"Would the four of you shut up!"

slavko
07-18-2013, 04:40 PM

Nailed it. You're all on your games today. Including about DJ who at least has the light touch. If his silly phrases are bad, so is "It's so hot today the third baseman is Meltin."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051077/

TomC727
07-18-2013, 07:02 PM
Watched it tonight. I thought it was great.

tebman
07-18-2013, 07:50 PM

I agree. It was much better than I expected. Costas had almost nothing to do with it except some brief voiceovers between segments, but I know MLB Network wanted his name on the program.

Harrelson's stories were genuinely interesting. It's too bad he doesn't talk like that during the game broadcasts -- his mood swings are so wild depending on the game's progress that he can't even finish his sentences.

I had to laugh when he told the story near the end about the origin of his "Yes!" catchphrase. His daughter was a competitive diver and when she nailed an especially difficult one he found himself shouting "Yes!" The big laugh came when he said how nervous he was before her dive: "You couldn't have pulled a greased tee out of my behind with a pair of pliers."

Hadn't heard that one for a while! :redneck

http://www.clipartpal.com/_thumbs/Pliers_tns.png

Golden Sox
07-18-2013, 08:11 PM
When Hawk was released by the A's during the 1967 season he signed on with Boston and helped lead them to the pennant. The White Sox tried signing him but he went to Boston instead. If he would of signed with the White Sox that year the White Sox would of probably won the pennant that year. The 1967 White Sox couldn't hit (just like the 2013 White Sox) and his bat would of probably got the White Sox in the World Series that year.

MeteorsSox4367
07-18-2013, 08:15 PM
"Tommy Shocker" was his boxing pseudonym? Nice.

I liked it a lot, but I'm also a Hawk fan. Liked the shots of him playing with Boston and Cleveland and the Sam McDowell anecdote was funny.

The one sound clip I would have liked to hear was Crede's game-winning HR off David Riske late in 2005 at the Cell.

In all, I thought it was done very well. Good job, MLB.

Brian26
07-18-2013, 09:45 PM
I thought it was very good. Being a Sox fan for so long, I think I have heard every one of the stories he told (except for one). He's told many of those during games and at Soxfest, even the Mantle stuff.

The story that was new to me and probably the most touching part was the reason he quit professional golf.

By the way, he mentioned only two people have White Sox and Red Sox rings. The other one must be Fisk, right?

Still love that Hawk went down to confront Padilla outside the Rangers lockerroom in 2006. LOL

palehosepub
07-19-2013, 02:32 PM
I'm a big Hawk fan and sometimes I am really surprised at the over the top criticisms of him. He can be a tough listen when the Sox are losing but I always appreciated the fact that he really cares. After listening to him for more 30 years he is a key part of White Sox baseball to me.

My son and I met him at the team hotel in Boston years ago and he was incredibly friendly . On a personal level I was impressed how nice he was to my then 12 year old son talking about youth baseball and basketball.

But anyway to each is own...

Really wanted to see the documentary - is it going to be replayed?

palehosepub
07-19-2013, 02:34 PM
I suppose he didn't dignify Mariotti with a mention but Hawk challenged him to a fight several years back, I think ol' Jay would have had a much tougher time with Hawk than he did with slapping around his girlfriend

TomBradley72
07-19-2013, 03:11 PM

Me too.

I'm a big fan of Hawk- but I'm also a fan of anyone who lives a full and adventurous life- his life experiences are just epic- major league player on a World Series team, qualifier for the British Open, long time announcer in MLB- plus family, friends, grandchildren- what a great and interesting life he has led.

:gulp:

soxfan1983
07-21-2013, 05:15 PM
Anyone else see this SunTimes article by Dan McGrath (who?) in regards to the MLB special on him?

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/21405337-574/new-film-provides-an-outlet-for-unfiltered-hawk-harrelson.html

I didn't see/hear about it until Stoney asked Hawk about it early in the game today. Hawk goes on a rant about McGrath and then mentions Mariotti, and Boers/Bernstein as well. Classic Hawk

Brian26
07-21-2013, 07:15 PM
So Dan McGrath takes an entire column to badmouth Hawk and essentially call him a liar, with a subtext insinuating that MLB Network is a joke, Sox fans are idiots, poor Tony LaRussa and Dave Dombrowski, and Hawk won't make the Hall.

I'll wait for McGrath's review of the three minute Len Kasper documentary coming to a theater soon, in which Len talks about the time he purchased not one, but two, take-and-bake pizzas from Costco and filled up his gas all in the same trip.

SOXSINCE'70
07-21-2013, 07:26 PM

"I never embellish anything, the other guy does. I just make them up."

"I do not - you do."

"Shut up"

"No you shut up."

:hawk :hawk

"Would the four of you shut up!"

"You gotta be beepin' me!"

SOXSINCE'70
07-21-2013, 07:27 PM

The Will To Watch.:D::D:

SI1020
07-21-2013, 09:26 PM
So Dan McGrath takes an entire column to badmouth Hawk and essentially call him a liar, with a subtext insinuating that MLB Network is a joke, Sox fans are idiots, poor Tony LaRussa and Dave Dombrowski, and Hawk won't make the Hall.

I'll wait for McGrath's review of the three minute Len Kasper documentary coming to a theater soon, in which Len talks about the time he purchased not one, but two, take-and-bake pizzas from Costco and filled up his gas all in the same trip. That's why for all his faults and frailties I do not look forward to Hawk leaving the booth. This is probably the type of blow dried boring we will get.

tebman
07-21-2013, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by soxfan1983 http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=3070516#post3070516)
Anyone else see this SunTimes article by Dan McGrath (who?) in regards to the MLB special on him?

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseb...harrelson.html (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/21405337-574/new-film-provides-an-outlet-for-unfiltered-hawk-harrelson.html)

I didn't see/hear about it until Stoney asked Hawk about it early in the game today. Hawk goes on a rant about McGrath and then mentions Mariotti, and Boers/Bernstein as well. Classic Hawk

I didn't hear what Harrelson said about McGrath's review/critique/whatever, but I think if McGrath has any agenda it's to pay back the hits he took when he was the Tribune's sports editor.

He freelances now for the Sun-Times since he left the Tribune and in at least one other piece he wrote a while back he alluded to shots he and the Tribune took for their relationship with the Cubs. His complaint today was that the program wasn't a documentary because it didn't do any fact-checking or provide any challenges to Harrelson's stories. Ironic, since that was one of the complaints we all had when our anti-Tribune fervor was at its peak.

I think he missed the point of the show. It wasn't supposed to be a hard-hitting documentary or an exposť revealing that Harrelson's conversations with Howard Cosell or Rocky Marciano never happened. It was just a program highlighting a colorful baseball character with some great stories.

Please. I mean, if McGrath is so concerned about debunking legends and folk tales, let's go back to Babe Ruth or Satchel Paige or Leo Durocher and see how accurate their stories were. Colonel McCormick would be proud.

:rolleyes:

TommyJohn
07-22-2013, 04:05 AM
Somber Doc

McGrath: Irrelevant, fluffy "documentary" about Hawk Harrelson can't
compare to the hard-hitting objectivity and realism of "This Old Cub"

Chez
07-22-2013, 07:59 AM
Somber Doc

Excellent! :nod:

hawkjt
07-22-2013, 01:07 PM
McGrath was wrong on several fronts.

1. That Hawk never praises the opposing players in a series....that is such BS. Hawk has probably said 100 times this year that Miggy Cabrera could be the greatest hitter of all time...no praise? He gushes about opposing players constantly,to where I got sick of hearing how great Punta was.
McGrath is wrong.

2. Hawk is not self-depracating.....***? He constantly says that he would have no shot vs Stoney curve ball. Or that he could not hit certain pitchers with a canoe paddle. He talks of some of his exploits on the field but does not dwell on them as much as the greats, Mantle,Howard,ect.

3. McGrath calls him a liar....prove it,Danny Boy. He basically accuses Hawk of making up stories with famous people,but if he is going to do that,he better have some evidence of this....he does not cite anything.

B & B are turds. They hate Hawk. They are the ultimate in thin-skin.
Now, they love to hammer Hawk constantly.
Bernstein says that all of Hawk stories are made up,period.
He is saying it right now.
Again....show me,Danny boy.

Bobby Thigpen
07-22-2013, 01:32 PM
B & B are turds.
This is all you need to say about them.

JB98
07-22-2013, 02:56 PM
Somber Doc

Awesome. :D:

You know, one of the things that amuses me about Hawk's fiercest critics is how they like to compare him to Vin Scully. "Scully would never do this ... Can you imagine Scully doing that? .... Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah."

Let's be clear about one thing: Hawk is not Scully and Scully is not Hawk. And there's nothing wrong with that. Why does Hawk need to be more like Scully? He is who he is.

I think there are some perfectly legitimate criticisms of Hawk out there. The fact that he isn't like Vin Scully is not among them. That is just stupid.

shingo10
07-23-2013, 07:08 PM
Awesome. :D:

You know, one of the things that amuses me about Hawk's fiercest critics is how they like to compare him to Vin Scully. "Scully would never do this ... Can you imagine Scully doing that? .... Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah."

Let's be clear about one thing: Hawk is not Scully and Scully is not Hawk. And there's nothing wrong with that. Why does Hawk need to be more like Scully? He is who he is.

I think there are some perfectly legitimate criticisms of Hawk out there. The fact that he isn't like Vin Scully is not among them. That is just stupid.

Very well stated.

TomBradley72
07-23-2013, 08:19 PM

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/21405337-574/new-film-provides-an-outlet-for-unfiltered-hawk-harrelson.html

Pretty useless article and not very well written or with a consistent point of you- Dan McGrath isn't going to make anyone forget Ring Lardner.

Foulke You
07-24-2013, 11:19 AM
McGrath was wrong on several fronts.

1. That Hawk never praises the opposing players in a series....that is such BS. Hawk has probably said 100 times this year that Miggy Cabrera could be the greatest hitter of all time...no praise? He gushes about opposing players constantly,to where I got sick of hearing how great Punta was.
McGrath is wrong.

2. Hawk is not self-depracating.....***? He constantly says that he would have no shot vs Stoney curve ball. Or that he could not hit certain pitchers with a canoe paddle. He talks of some of his exploits on the field but does not dwell on them as much as the greats, Mantle,Howard,ect.

3. McGrath calls him a liar....prove it,Danny Boy. He basically accuses Hawk of making up stories with famous people,but if he is going to do that,he better have some evidence of this....he does not cite anything.

You hit on everything I felt after reading that pile of trash McGrath wrote. Also, MacNeil and Spiegel had the producer of the Hawk documentary on as a guest and Spiegel tried to hint that maybe Hawk made up some of his stories about being offered the Red Sox manager job twice. The producer said they checked with Red Sox beat writers from that era who confirmed what Hawk was saying was absolutely true. The producer said they never encountered any evidence that suggested Hawk was lying during his documentary. They said you could tell that Hawk was "reliving" the moments when telling the stories and not just remembering them. Spiegel backed off the accusations after that.

BainesHOF
07-24-2013, 11:44 AM
I'll wait for McGrath's review of the three minute Len Kasper documentary coming to a theater soon, in which Len talks about the time he purchased not one, but two, take-and-bake pizzas from Costco and filled up his gas all in the same trip.

LOL!!!

Could Kasper's announcing be any more boring? He seems like a great guy, but I'd shoot myself in the head if I had to listen to him for three hours everyday.

Does anyone know when the Hawk doc is being shown again?

soxnut1018
07-24-2013, 01:36 PM

They really don't. When you hear them talk about people like the Paternos or Steve Alford, that's hate. They find Hawk to be great comedic fodder and a poor announcer. I can't really disagree with them on either. I am one of the few on WSI who enjoy B&B and what astounds me is how everyone who hates them seems to know so much of what goes on during their show.

hawkjt
07-24-2013, 02:22 PM
They really don't. When you hear them talk about people like the Paternos or Steve Alford, that's hate. They find Hawk to be great comedic fodder and a poor announcer. I can't really disagree with them on either. I am one of the few on WSI who enjoy B&B and what astounds me is how everyone who hates them seems to know so much of what goes on during their show.

I agree that they do not hate Hawk with the intensity of Alford or Paterno,but they have great disdain for him,at minimum.

And of course,he now returns fire.
B & B are from the school,especially Bernstein,that there is not real joy in following sports,except for that brief moment when you win the championship.
To him,the rest is all garbage.
They hate fans,period. They think they are all stupid,period. If you are a fan,you are stupid. Sports are only to extract money from...for them.
Any yahoos who actually like the sport,or a team is a bumpkin.
Its their style,and I suspect they are not really liked by many,but the radio is set on the Score and people listen out of habit.