PDA

View Full Version : John Rooney ESPN Sunday Night Baseball

Brian26
07-07-2013, 09:05 PM
Rooney is doing the Sunday night game on the radio (Red Sox vs. Angels) with Jim Bowden. I did not know that Rooney was doing games for ESPN. Kinda weird to hear him calling a Pujols game and giving the Sox score. Rooney used to do the CBS radio games way back in the day on Saturday nights on AM 1000.

doublem23
07-07-2013, 10:45 PM
Rooney is doing the Sunday night game on the radio (Red Sox vs. Angels) with Jim Bowden. I did not know that Rooney was doing games for ESPN. Kinda weird to hear him calling a Pujols game and giving the Sox score. Rooney used to do the CBS radio games way back in the day on Saturday nights on AM 1000.

Rooney pops up in weird places, earlier this year I found him doing play-by-play for Missouri Valley men's basketball Game of the Week games aired on FSN/CSN.

:shrug:

Hope he calls another game soon, I miss hearing him call baseball on the radio. :(:

cards press box
07-07-2013, 11:49 PM
I miss hearing him call baseball on the radio. :(:

I certainly miss him calling White Sox games. Farmer has become completely unlistenable, if there is such a word.

You know, if the Sox are going the fire sale route and manage to deal Keppinger, Dunn, De Aza, Rios, Ramirez, Crain, Thornton, Lindstrom and Peavy (or some of them), why not bring in new announcers for radio and television next year, too? It is about time, I think.

Zakath
07-08-2013, 05:58 AM
I certainly miss him calling White Sox games. Farmer has become completely unlistenable, if there is such a word.

Actually, it's the team that's become completely unlistenable.

SOXSINCE'70
07-08-2013, 08:30 AM

Actually, it's the team that's become completely unlistenable.

Correct on both counts.

Foulke You
07-08-2013, 01:54 PM
I remember Rooney calling some ALDS games on the radio back in the early 2000s for ESPN. I think he does fill-in contract work for them.

Huisj
07-08-2013, 02:00 PM

How many times do you have a 10 or 15 minute trip in the car, tune in to the Sox game, and basically not figure out what is going on in the game for the majority of the trip. It's frustrating. It's like 2 minutes of random story telling and then you'll get one little "the 2-1 pitch...fouled out of play", but you have no idea what the pitch was, who threw it, who fouled it off, what the score is, what inning it is, what team is batting, etc. And then back to story telling until you here "swing and a bouncing ball to short, he'll throw him out and we'll head to the 6th, 4-3."

peelwonder
07-08-2013, 02:09 PM
I just went on a road trip and got to listen to Rooney again....it's night and day between him and Farmer....it's like someone actually describing what's going in in the game instead of nonsensical gibberish coming out of Farmer's mouth.

Bobby Thigpen
07-08-2013, 02:25 PM
Farmer is, always has been and always will be a terrible announcer. Whether it be color or PBP.

CoopaLoop
07-08-2013, 11:04 PM
I take it he's not doing Cards games anymore?

peelwonder
07-08-2013, 11:46 PM
I take it he's not doing Cards games anymore?

No...he is. The game I caught was the Cards Angels game....

harwar
07-09-2013, 11:44 AM
It took me a long time to get over his leaving and i sometimes listen to the cardinals game day audio just to hear him .. also, the cardinals area fun team to follow..