PDA

View Full Version : Half way point.

LITTLE NELL
07-04-2013, 12:15 PM
33-48 after 81 games, so far one of the worst seasons since I've been a fan.
I don't get to see as many games as most of you but here are my grades for this team.

Hitting..........................D (12th in Avg, last in runs in AL)
Power...........................D+ (13th in HRs)
OBP.............................F (last)
OPS.............................F (14th)
Fielding.........................F (14th)

Starting Pitching..............C (8th in quality starts)
Relief Pitching.................C (Reed has 4 blown saves but Crain had been great)

Manager.......................D (OJT is not working)

Intangibles....................D
Stuff you don't see in the box score, like being picked off, missing the cut off man, hitting with RISP, bad base running, etc, etc.

PS. No grades for individual players, what good would it do. Half of them will be gone by the end of the month.

sox1970
07-04-2013, 12:27 PM
The Tigers lead the AL in quality starts with 54.

The Sox are 8th in the league with 43.

If that changes your pitching grade. I'd say C.

Fastball23
07-04-2013, 12:27 PM
Hitting..........................F

OBP.............................F
OPS.............................F
Fielding.........................F

Starting Pitching..............C
Relief Pitching................B
Manager.......................F
Intangible................... F

LITTLE NELL
07-04-2013, 12:32 PM
The Tigers lead the AL in quality starts with 54.

The Sox are 8th in the league with 43.

If that changes your pitching grade. I'd say C.

You are right, I was looking at the wrong column.

fisk4ever
07-04-2013, 12:52 PM
The honor roll is bleak this semester.

Paulwny
07-04-2013, 12:53 PM
Intangibles/fundamentals-F
I don't believe I've ever seen any team, as Lip has previously stated, this baseball stupid.

roylestillman
07-04-2013, 01:26 PM
I'm generally not a black cloud, but I do have to agree with Nell that this has to be the worst Sox team I have seen in 50 years of following them, explained a bit by the fact that expectations were fairly high going into this season unlike some bad teams of previous years.

As I watch the games I ask myself who on this team is an All Star. Outside of Sale nobody. Also ask yourself what player on this team would cause a fan in any city outside of Chicago to go out to their stadium and pay to see. Again nobody, including Sale. Finally of the current 25 man roster, how many players do you think will be playing Major League Baseball two years from now?

Fundamentally they are awful. They lack any strategy in approaching the plate. They seem leaderless. They lack personality that would result in anyone connecting with them. Any Andrew Shaws or Bryan Bickells on this team? Gillespie comes close, but he always seems distraught for some reason. I'll grant you injuries have taken their toll, but it just points to the lack of depth in this organization.

Off the field I really do think some improvements have been made. I think a lot of the new pricing strategies have paid off. My recent visit on a Family Sunday was one of the nicest and vibrant days I've spent at the park. It is rare now that attendance falls below 20,000 even with this team. Now just straighten out concessions and that bum's rush attitude and your home free.

StillMissOzzie
07-04-2013, 01:44 PM
My head tells me that starting pitching deserves a B, but ranked 8 out of 15 is hard to argue with "average". That double header / double stinker sure didn't help any. The rest of those grades, I agree completely.

And this projects out to 66 - 96. Yay, they won't lose 100 games! :wink:
Although any sell-off can change that as well :mad:

SMO
:gulp:

JB98
07-04-2013, 01:50 PM
I'm generally not a black cloud, but I do have to agree with Nell that this has to be the worst Sox team I have seen in 50 years of following them, explained a bit by the fact that expectations were fairly high going into this season unlike some bad teams of previous years.

As I watch the games I ask myself who on this team is an All Star. Outside of Sale nobody. Also ask yourself what player on this team would cause a fan in any city outside of Chicago to go out to their stadium and pay to see. Again nobody, including Sale. Finally of the current 25 man roster, how many players do you think will be playing Major League Baseball two years from now?

Fundamentally they are awful. They lack any strategy in approaching the plate. They seem leaderless. They lack personality that would result in anyone connecting with them. Any Andrew Shaws or Bryan Bickells on this team? Gillespie comes close, but he always seems distraught for some reason. I'll grant you injuries have taken their toll, but it just points to the lack of depth in this organization.

Off the field I really do think some improvements have been made. I think a lot of the new pricing strategies have paid off. My recent visit on a Family Sunday was one of the nicest and vibrant days I've spent at the park. It is rare now that attendance falls below 20,000 even with this team. Now just straighten out concessions and that bum's rush attitude and your home free.

That's an interesting question, actually. There are some guys on this club (Viciedo, De Aza, Gillaspie) who might still be in the big leagues two years from now, but they probably won't starting for the Sox or any other team. Keppinger will still be playing, but only because he's got two years left on his contract after this.

Among position players on the current 25-man, I don't think Flowers, Gimenez, Wells, Danks or Morel will be playing in the majors two years from now. Among pitchers, I'd say Axelrod, Troncoso, Castro and Purcey will not be in the majors in two years. Also, I think Thornton will be retired by then. He's on his last life.

So there's 10 guys, or 40 percent of the roster, who probably will not be in the majors in two years. And that's probably a conservative estimate. There are others on this team who will still be playing, but probably in a more limited role than what they have now.

DSpivack
07-04-2013, 02:07 PM
That's an interesting question, actually. There are some guys on this club (Viciedo, De Aza, Gillaspie) who might still be in the big leagues two years from now, but they probably won't starting for the Sox or any other team. Keppinger will still be playing, but only because he's got two years left on his contract after this.

Among position players on the current 25-man, I don't think Flowers, Gimenez, Wells, Danks or Morel will be playing in the majors two years from now. Among pitchers, I'd say Axelrod, Troncoso, Castro and Purcey will not be in the majors in two years. Also, I think Thornton will be retired by then. He's on his last life.

So there's 10 guys, or 40 percent of the roster, who probably will not be in the majors in two years. And that's probably a conservative estimate. There are others on this team who will still be playing, but probably in a more limited role than what they have now.

De Aza is good enough that I think he could be starting somewhere, or at least a 4th OF with some team. I'd be very surprised if Viciedo is in the big leagues. Gillaspie might be a utility guy somewhere. In addition to those you listed, I think Konerko will be retired by then, as well.

JB98
07-04-2013, 02:11 PM
De Aza is good enough that I think he could be starting somewhere, or at least a 4th OF with some team. I'd be very surprised if Viciedo is in the big leagues. Gillaspie might be a utility guy somewhere. In addition to those you listed, I think Konerko will be retired by then, as well.

Yeah, didn't include Paulie because he's not on the 25-man right now. I think he'll retire after this year.

LITTLE NELL
07-04-2013, 02:13 PM

Disagree on DeAza, no way does he start for any other team, the best he will be is a 4th outfielder, if that.

24thStFan
07-04-2013, 02:26 PM
Hitting..........................F

OBP.............................F
OPS.............................F
Fielding.........................F

Starting Pitching..............C
Relief Pitching................B
Manager.......................F
Intangible................... F

Agree, with exception of the starters, who IMHO, also deserve a B. Without our pitching (SP and RP), this is the worst team in MLB.

Domeshot17
07-04-2013, 02:48 PM
Agree, with exception of the starters, who IMHO, also deserve a B. Without our pitching (SP and RP), this is the worst team in MLB.

They don't deserve a B though. They have been very average, as has been pointed out, 8th in quality starts, very vanilla, C is perfect.

This team is a joke

Brian26
07-04-2013, 02:51 PM
Disagree on DeAza, no way does he start for any other team, the best he will be is a 4th outfielder, if that.

The New York Yankees have given significant playing time to Jayson Nix, Chris Stewart and DeWayne Wise over the past two years, so anything is possible.

Speaking of Wise, what happened to him? Is he injured? I may have missed it. Danks has been the 4th outfielder of late.

LITTLE NELL
07-04-2013, 02:59 PM
The New York Yankees have given significant playing time to Jayson Nix, Chris Stewart and DeWayne Wise over the past two years, so anything is possible.

Speaking of Wise, what happened to him? Is he injured? I may have missed it. Danks has been the 4th outfielder of late.

Good point Brian.
Wise was on a rehab stint in Charlotte and hurt himself again, oblique strain.

TheVulture
07-04-2013, 03:18 PM

DeAza would be starting on plenty of teams, including some contending teams. He's nowhere near the worst starting outfielder in baseball. There'd be room for him the OF of any of the contending NL Central teams, for example. Well, maybe not STL, but the Reds or Pirates could use him.

LITTLE NELL
07-04-2013, 03:22 PM
DeAza would be starting on plenty of teams, including some contending teams. He's nowhere near the worst starting outfielder in baseball. There'd be room for him the OF of any of the contending NL Central teams, for example.

I don't think much him as a lead off guy as he strikes out way too much, he is on pace for over 160 Ks which is horrible for a lead off hitter. He has to play the deepest of any center fielder in baseball, lets a lot of balls drop in front of him that he can't get to because he plays so deep.