PDA

View Full Version : 7/3 Back to Reality - Orioles 4 Sox 2....

Tragg
07-03-2013, 10:43 PM
The usual stuff.
Santiago 123 pitches over 7
Jordan Danks is a pinch hitter

Orioles work counts; Santiago gets Ks (which increase pitch counts).

Mr. Jinx
07-03-2013, 11:59 PM
Bad team does bad things.

Why in world would you ever pinch hit Baby Danks?

ZombieRob
07-04-2013, 01:16 AM
Santiago will be a real good pitcher. The Potential is surely there. Other then that, All you can do is laugh.

BainesHOF
07-04-2013, 01:24 AM
Apparently, Ventura will never learn Thornton doesn't belong in a tight game.

ChicagoG19
07-04-2013, 01:35 AM
I can't recall the last season (maybe 2007) where I go into everyday expecting the Sox to lose.

white sox bill
07-04-2013, 09:57 AM
While I realize many folks may be gone for the Holiday weekend. But 5 posts? Mine being the 6th? Does anyone even care anymore?

Crestani
07-04-2013, 10:30 AM
While I realize many folks may be gone for the Holiday weekend. But 5 posts? Mine being the 6th? Does anyone even care anymore?

Not really..!!:macho::macho:

SOXSINCE'70
07-04-2013, 10:50 AM
Matt Thornton,how do I put this politely.....

YOU SUCK!!!!":angry::angry:

TomBradley72
07-04-2013, 11:01 AM

I watched parts of the game last night- fast forwarding via DVR- but in general- the whole operation is kind of dead in the water right now- underperforming veterans, no real prospects to get excited about, a very mellow manager, a rookie GM, stale marketing promotions, mediocre stadium operations (concession stand, customer service and scoreboard complaints), broadcast teams on radio/TV that need to be changed across the board- the only two things I see of interest in the 2nd half are potential trades at the deadline to bring us prospects (I don't think it will be much of a haul) and attending PK's last game with the Sox at the end of the season- thats about it.

To answer your question- I'm trying hard to care- but this organization makes it a challenge-

Tragg
07-04-2013, 11:02 AM
Santiago will be a real good pitcher. The Potential is surely there. Other then that, All you can do is laugh.

Santiago is just getting better.
123 is absurd, especially for this team.

russ99
07-04-2013, 11:11 AM
Bad team does bad things.

Why in world would you ever pinch hit Baby Danks?

Because Tyler Flowers is so overmatched at the big league level that he can barely put a ball in play.

And who else do we have on the bench?

Nice crowd, too bad they got so disgusted with our awful team that they did the wave in the 8th, even the hardcore season ticket holders. Epic fireworks, though.

Mr. Jinx
07-04-2013, 12:09 PM
Because Tyler Flowers is so overmatched at the big league level that he can barely put a ball in play.

And who else do we have on the bench?

Nice crowd, too bad they got so disgusted with our awful team that they did the wave in the 8th, even the hardcore season ticket holders. Epic fireworks, though.

The same can be said for Danks though. Lose lose situation.

JB98
07-04-2013, 01:38 PM
The same can be said for Danks though. Lose lose situation.

Yeah, his options were stick with Flowers, or pinch hit one of Danks, Morel, Wells or Gimenez. No matter what he does in that situation, it's gonna be the third out and game over. That's just how it is.

I do think Robin needs to back off a little bit with the young starting pitchers. I would assume Sale, Santiago and Quintana are all part of their 2014 plans. No need for these 125-pitch outings in this lost cause of a season.

I realize they don't want to use AAA bums like Troncoso, Purcey and Castro who are filling out the bullpen right now. Unfortunately, this is what rebuilding is. You're going to have some has-beens or never-will-bes on your roster while you're killing time, waiting to acquire or develop somebody better. You're not going to win anyway, so don't ride the handful of good pitchers you have too hard. Use everybody, take your lumps.

Also, I'd cut back on some of the lefty-righty stuff. It's not important to play matchups right now. If Lindstrom comes in to work the eighth, then it's his inning, sink or swim. The team is so thin right now you can't afford to have your two or three best guys pitching every day, just for the sake of getting one or two batters out in a situational matchup. That kind of overuse is what got Crain injured in the first place.

Paulwny
07-04-2013, 01:43 PM
Yeah, his options were stick with Flowers, or pinch hit one of Danks, Morel, Wells or Gimenez. No matter what he does in that situation, it's gonna be the third out and game over. That's just how it is.

I do think Robin needs to back off a little bit with the young starting pitchers. I would assume Sale, Santiago and Quintana are all part of their 2014 plans. No need for these 125-pitch outings in this lost cause of a season.

I realize they don't want to use AAA bums like Troncoso, Purcey and Castro who are filling out the bullpen right now. Unfortunately, this is what rebuilding is. You're going to have some has-beens or never-will-bes on your roster while you're killing time, waiting to acquire or develop somebody better. You're not going to win anyway, so don't ride the handful of good pitchers you have too hard. Use everybody, take your lumps.

Also, I'd cut back on some of the lefty-righty stuff. It's not important to play matchups right now. If Lindstrom comes in to work the eighth, then it's his inning, sink or swim. The team is so thin right now you can't afford to have your two or three best guys pitching every day, just for the sake of getting one or two batters out in a situational matchup. That kind of overuse is what got Crain injured in the first place.

Is it Ventura or is Coop telling him that we need to stretch out the young guns? I would think that Coop has quite a bit of input when it comes to the pitching.

TomBradley72
07-04-2013, 01:51 PM
2013 White Sox 33-48 -
1970 White Sox 27-51 4.5 GB

1970 team lost "yesterday" to the Twins 8-2, Horlen taking the loss, Jim Perry getting the win. Bob Spence at 1B, 0-4 with 3 Ks and an error in the field.

We need to win tonight to avoid losing a game in the "standings" vs. the 1970 Pale Hose.

JB98
07-04-2013, 01:51 PM
Is it Ventura or is Coop telling him that we need to stretch out the young guns? I would think that Coop has quite a bit of input when it comes to the pitching.

It's a good question and one I have no answer for. All I can say is I disagree with the philosophy.

captain54
07-04-2013, 01:53 PM
I watched parts of the game last night- fast forwarding via DVR- but in general- the whole operation is kind of dead in the water right now-

If it's dead in the water now, just wait until the Bears buzz starts... there is a window in Chicago sports now with post Blackhawks and pre Bears. Baseball is the only game in town.. God help the franchise if the potential trades and prospects fail to ignite the fanbase.

BainesHOF
07-04-2013, 02:50 PM
It's embarrassing our manager has burned out one of the team's top trade pieces, Crain, by the beginning of July. He's pitched Sale, Reed, Santiago and Danks too much at times, too. I'm guessing it's been out of desperation to record a rare win and/or to cater to the desires of the pitchers, but the present is meaningless. It's all about the future. Hahn, if he's still alive, needs to pay a visit to the manager's office and set Ventura straight on this.

SI1020
07-04-2013, 03:14 PM
It's embarrassing our manager has burned out one of the team's top trade pieces, Crain, by the beginning of July. He's pitched Sale, Reed, Santiago and Danks too much at times, too. I'm guessing it's been out of desperation to record a rare win and/or to cater to the desires of the pitchers, but the present is meaningless. It's all about the future. Hahn, if he's still alive, needs to pay a visit to the manager's office and set Ventura straight on this. I was going to disagree with the idea that Crain was overworked. Then I went to his B-R page and discovered that his stats projected to his busiest year since 2006 when he made 68 appearances and pitched 75 2/3 innings. Man, is the bar that low now where a manager can get ripped for using a guy that much? Or should I say that little? I'm as mortified as any die hard over the state of the team, but I don't think using a pitcher an inning or so almost every other game should be asking too much.

LITTLE NELL
07-04-2013, 03:18 PM
If it's dead in the water now, just wait until the Bears buzz starts... there is a window in Chicago sports now with post Blackhawks and pre Bears. Baseball is the only game in town.. God help the franchise if the potential trades and prospects fail to ignite the fanbase.

If the franchise can come back from years like we had in 68, 69 and 70, it will comeback again.

Moses_Scurry
07-04-2013, 03:57 PM
If the franchise can come back from years like we had in 68, 69 and 70, it will comeback again.

And 86, 87, 88, 89

And 97, 98, 99

LITTLE NELL
07-04-2013, 04:07 PM
And 86, 87, 88, 89

And 97, 98, 99

For me, the years I mentioned were really bad, we drew only 495,000 fans in 1970 when we had the worst record in franchise history going 56-106.