PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Danks For Da Effort 7-2 postgamer

vinny
07-02-2013, 09:35 PM
Yay. We're off the schneid.

Tragg
07-02-2013, 09:46 PM
Danks has been rounding into form. Well-done.
Nice to get a W.

Railsplitter
07-02-2013, 09:47 PM
Birds plucked!

:bandance:

DumpJerry
07-02-2013, 10:11 PM
The Ex Cub Factor was working tonight. They don't have to be on the field, their aura is strong.

amsteel
07-02-2013, 10:16 PM
Oh yeah, Sox baseball can be fun sometimes! Unfortunately, sometimes equals 41% of the time thus far.

ChiSoxGal85
07-02-2013, 10:20 PM
A rare enjoyable game. :bandance:

Stanley
07-02-2013, 10:28 PM
I missed the game.

Whats that thing about the squirrel and the nut again?

waldo_the_wolf
07-02-2013, 11:33 PM
I know, when they actually win, it almost seems like an oxymoron. Great game though.

cards press box
07-03-2013, 05:24 AM
I was there last night. It was one of the better games all season.

:winner

Dan H
07-03-2013, 07:10 AM
Way too little. Way too late.

Fastball23
07-03-2013, 07:23 AM
Just maybe Danks can be traded now.

October26
07-03-2013, 08:21 AM
A rare enjoyable game. :bandance:

Missed the game but watched it on my DVR this AM. You're right, it was an enjoyable game to watch after all the miserable Sox losses this season, especially those we saw this past weekend.

I was especially pleased to see the timely hits by the Sox offense along with the strong pitching performance by John Danks and the Sox bullpen.

And I smiled when I saw the camera shot of John Danks saluting the fans as he walked off the field.

KenBerryGrab
07-03-2013, 08:33 AM
Free Kids Club seats were augmented by some this-week-only bargains: $3 grilled dogs with onions, $4 large soda, $1 chips, $3 Dippin' Dots. That and Danks throwing well made it feel like I'd used a time machine....

doublem23
07-03-2013, 08:40 AM

Yeah, you're right, how dare these guys try to win a game

No, what are you going to get for him that's worth more than his own potential? (A: Nothing)

Rocky Soprano
07-03-2013, 08:53 AM
Free Kids Club seats were augmented by some this-week-only bargains: $3 grilled dogs with onions, $4 large soda, $1 chips, $3 Dippin' Dots. That and Danks throwing well made it feel like I'd used a time machine....

I was there last night and loved the deals on the food. They should do that more often!

I sat in the UD, behind home plate in row 9 and paid liked $10 a seat. Plus my Sox won! :bandance::bandance::bandance:

SoxSpeed22
07-03-2013, 08:59 AM
These kind of games are fun. Too bad we don't have more of these.

Foulke You
07-03-2013, 10:29 AM
No, what are you going to get for him that's worth more than his own potential? (A: Nothing)
I agree. I'm more excited to see Danks rounding into form. He is going to be with us for a while and we are paying him a ton of money so it bodes well for the future that he seems to be on his way back from that surgery. Thank goodness too. We are paying him way too much money to not get anything out of him for the next several seasons.

SCCWS
07-03-2013, 10:54 AM
I agree. I'm more excited to see Danks rounding into form. He is going to be with us for a while and we are paying him a ton of money so it bodes well for the future that he seems to be on his way back from that surgery. Thank goodness too. We are paying him way too much money to not get anything out of him for the next several seasons.

Not sure what you expect "getting out of him". Danks has 160+ starts over 5 full seasons plus 2 shortened years in last year and now. With a decent size sampling, he is a career .500( being generous) pitcher. On most teams he is a number 4 or maybe a 3 since he is a lefty.

doublem23
07-03-2013, 10:57 AM

Yeah, Danks is still pretty young (just turned 28), I know he's been around forever but there's still some miles left on that arm and I know the consensus narrative on his career has been underwhelming so far, but I don't think people appreciate how well John has pitched for the Sox. From 2008-2010 he was absolutely one of the best pitchers in the American League, and finished in the Top 10 for WAR for P all three years. He had an off year in 2011 and got hurt in 2012 but there's still reason to think he'd be a valuable part of the Sox rebuilding efforts going forward.

I get the whole "Blow it Up" line of thinking, but there's a method to this, trading veterans away just to trade them away is a losing mindset, Danks' value has to be about as low as it can be right now. Give him a year to hopefully continue to build his arm, let some of the money in his deal work off... I do not expect him to be dealt until the middle of 2014 at the earliest.

You also have to remember, according to Cots, he has a limited NTC for the remainder of his deal.

doublem23
07-03-2013, 11:00 AM
Not sure what you expect "getting out of him". Danks has 160+ starts over 5 full seasons plus 2 shortened years in last year and now. With a decent size sampling, he is a career .500( being generous) pitcher. On most teams he is a number 4 or maybe a 3 since he is a lefty.

Danks has been pretty routinely the victim of poor run support, shoddy bullpen work, etc. His career waaWL% is .563. FIVE SIXTY THREE. For reference, Justin Verlander's is .590, Chris Sale's is .577, and Mark Buehrle's is .561. When he's right, he is easily a #2 SP on a good team.

The Immigrant
07-03-2013, 11:46 AM

Really, the W-L record is your argument?

JB98
07-03-2013, 01:26 PM
Danks has been pitching really well at home. When he pitches away from USCF, that's when he gives up a bunch of home runs. Odd, considering the Cell's reputation as a hitter's paradise.

cards press box
07-03-2013, 04:00 PM

I hope not. I want to see Chris Sale and John Danks as the Sox' top starters for years to come.

Yes, the Sox are going nowehere this season. But it was nice to see them play well and, particularly, to see good games from Danks and Conor Gillaspie.