PDA

View Full Version : Why Do Teams Pitch to Miguel Cabrera?

rainbow6
07-02-2013, 07:23 PM
Scrolling through early box scores tonight and I see that Cabrera has already hit a three run homerun. Why are teams pitching to him? Is it pride? I'm aware that the man hitting behind him is no slouch but I can't help but thinking that statistically you have a higher chance to win a game by putting him on first base four times a night.

Sorta reminds of '98 watching pitcher after pitcher lobbing balls down the plate for Sosa...

I am missing something?

Railsplitter
07-02-2013, 09:53 PM
Batters make more outs than hits.

rainbow6
07-03-2013, 06:51 AM
More outs than hits vs. a batter with more RBI than games played. It's obvious my opinion is not the correct one because no one is doing it but I still would feel my teams chances of defeating the Tigers increases significantly if I put Cabrera on first four times.

eriqjaffe
07-03-2013, 08:48 AM
Sorta reminds of '98 watching pitcher after pitcher lobbing balls down the plate for Sosa...Would you rather see a situation like 2004, when Barry Bonds received 120 intentional walks?

Jerko
07-03-2013, 08:54 AM
I don't watch many Tigers games, but I've seen teams walk him twice only to have Fielder kill them both times. Nice to have some protection in the linuep!