PDA

View Full Version : Viva Zapata

LITTLE NELL
07-02-2013, 04:58 PM
Here's hoping.
Kid is 6'3" and weighs 225, only 16 years old.
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130702&content_id=52446362&c_id=cws

Aesero
07-02-2013, 06:32 PM
Article says hes 199lbs. Young talent is much harder to judge and predict correct? It looks like another athlete that is a long ways away from the majors. Lets cross our fingers and hope he develops.

LITTLE NELL
07-02-2013, 06:34 PM
Article says hes 199lbs. Young talent is much harder to judge and predict correct? It looks like another athlete that is a long ways away from the majors. Lets cross our fingers and hope he develops.

There was another article I believe that I read earlier that said he was 225.
Either way lets hope he is something special.

pythons007
07-02-2013, 08:40 PM
If he's 16 he's at minimum of 4 years down the road. Hope they can develop him and don't rush him. I hope he's not another "free swinging pull happy homer or nothing" guy. Can't really say to much about developing hitting prospects in this organization. But here's to hoping!:gulp:

amsteel
07-02-2013, 09:06 PM
1.6 mil is a lot of hope money.

delben91
07-02-2013, 09:47 PM
1.6 mil is a lot of hope money.

So we're supposed to bash the Sox when they don't spend money on prospects and the farm system and also bash them when they do?

Got it.

amsteel
07-02-2013, 10:03 PM
So we're supposed to bash the Sox when they don't spend money on prospects and the farm system and also bash them when they do?

Got it.

Skepticism != bashing.

A 16 year old international is much more of a gamble than a known HS or college quantity. Both have a high a rate of burnout, it's just that the cost is much higher with the international prospects. I'd rather see the Sox take a more conservative approach.

At least the last few Sox int'l signings (Alexei, Dayan, Iguchi, others?) played in their country's domestic leagues and/or for their nat'l teams. That's a much more calculated investment.

doublem23
07-03-2013, 06:42 AM
Skepticism != bashing.

A 16 year old international is much more of a gamble than a known HS or college quantity. Both have a high a rate of burnout, it's just that the cost is much higher with the international prospects. I'd rather see the Sox take a more conservative approach.

At least the last few Sox int'l signings (Alexei, Dayan, Iguchi, others?) played in their country's domestic leagues and/or for their nat'l teams. That's a much more calculated investment.

You are aware that pretty much every other team operates their international development this way, correct? The fact that the Zapata signing is such a huge deal here shows more how poorly the Sox's Latin American operations have been lately. If this were any other team, we'd be shrugging our shoulders at the news that the Sox signed a highly touted kid for a lot of money. It happens all the time elsewhere.

SCCWS
07-03-2013, 08:06 AM
You are aware that pretty much every other team operates their international development this way, correct? The fact that the Zapata signing is such a huge deal here shows more how poorly the Sox's Latin American operations have been lately. If this were any other team, we'd be shrugging our shoulders at the news that the Sox signed a highly touted kid for a lot of money. It happens all the time elsewhere.

Heck the kid is the #2 international prospect. You have to invest in the farm system, so here is one prize investment. At 16, he still probably has another growth spurt. Good move based on the rating.

Domeshot17
07-03-2013, 10:01 AM
Skepticism != bashing.

Totally different thing. Those guys you mentioned are investments in the MLB level, this kid is an investment in the farm. He immediately becomes the Sox number 2 or 3 prospect.

This kid has a chance to do something none of those guys ever did, be a star. I loved Tadahito, and the others have been ok, but this kid could be special.

CPditka
07-03-2013, 12:46 PM
Love this signing. Our farm system is close to bare, we need to restock it, and the international signings go a long way to helping that. Beggers cant be chosers with a farm system like the Sox. We need as many prospects as possible. Good job on White Sox, now go get some more.

TheVulture
07-03-2013, 04:22 PM
it's just that the cost is much higher with the international prospects.

No it isn't. Under the new system, international signing prices are more restricted than US amateur draft signings. Zapata probably would have got closer to 3 million if he was drafted.

Why an international prospect would be considered more risky than a US amateur signing is beyond me as well.