PDA

View Full Version : Thome joins the Sox

Fastball23
07-02-2013, 02:47 PM
Fred B. Mitchell ‏@kicker34 1m (https://twitter.com/kicker34/status/352150876019888128)
Jim Thome joins White Sox as special assistant to GM Rick Hahn.

Great move!!

TheVulture
07-02-2013, 02:48 PM
I don't get it. What's his function, to get Hahn coffee?

ChiSoxGal85
07-02-2013, 02:48 PM
:bandance: Welcome back, big Jim!

DSpivack
07-02-2013, 02:51 PM

https://twitter.com/ChuckGarfien/status/352152080447840257

amsteel
07-02-2013, 02:58 PM
Nice, but pointless.

TomBradley72
07-02-2013, 03:00 PM
Grooming him to replace Ventura.

Golden Sox
JR always said that when the time came, Jim Thome would be part of the White Sox organization. I guess the time is now. I can't help but wonder if somewhere down the line Paul Konerko will be part of the White Sox management team also.

Madvora
Nice, but pointless.

The Sox organization seems like a kid's clubhouse where they just invite a group of their friends.

Fastball23
07-02-2013, 03:01 PM
I'm thrilled that Thome is back. Can't wait for him to start working with the younger players.

Irishsox1
07-02-2013, 03:03 PM
When watching the Comcast interview with Reinsdorf Thome stopped by unannounced and gave Jerry a large framed picture of Thome hitting the 500th homerun and celebrating with the team. Reinsdorf was very complimentary of Thome as a player and person so no surprise that Jim has joined the Sox family.

tstrike2000
07-02-2013, 03:06 PM
Next they can hire Jermaine Dye. Then when Konerko retires, they can have Konerko, Dye, and Thome characters race around the warning track to replace Fisk, Kittle and Baines.

Fastball23
07-02-2013, 03:08 PM
Next they can hire Jermaine Dye. Then when Konerko retires, they can have Konerko, Dye, and Thome characters race around the warning track to replace Fisk, Kittle and Baines.

Buehrle and AJ will be joining the Sox in a few more years.

thomas35forever
07-02-2013, 03:18 PM
Welcome back, Jim. This can only improve the way we do business.

Chez
07-02-2013, 03:19 PM
Buehrle and AJ will be the joining the Sox in a few more years.

The difference between Thome and the rest of the ex-players (or soon to be ex-players) mentioned is that Thome resides in the Chicago area (Burr Ridge) and is not uprooting his family to take a job with the Sox. If nothing else, Big Jim will be a great ambassador for the organization.

Harry Potter
07-02-2013, 03:22 PM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Tuesday, July 2, 2013

JIM THOME JOINS WHITE SOX AS SPECIAL ASSISTANT

CHICAGO – Future Hall-of-Famer Jim Thome has joined the Chicago White Sox as a special assistant to Rick Hahn, the club’s senior vice president/general manager.

Thome’s responsibilities will include consulting with Hahn and assistant general manager Buddy Bell, working with the White Sox major league staff and players, and visiting White Sox minor-league affiliates throughout the summer, evaluating player performance.

“It is nearly impossible to top Jim’s baseball resume with 22 seasons in the game and over 600 home runs,” said Hahn. “When we talked recently about how he could move on to the next stage of his baseball career, an obvious fit was to join this organization, where Jim knows so many people and is immediately comfortable. He brings a wealth of experience and knowledge to this role, and we’re excited to see the impact he will have on both our major leaguers and minor leaguers.”

Thome batted .276 (2,328-8,422) with 612 home runs, 1,699 RBI, 1,583 runs scored and 1,747 walks in 2,543 games over 22 major-league seasons with Cleveland (1991-2002, ‘11), Philadelphia (2003-05, ‘12), the White Sox (2006-09), Los Angeles-NL (2009), Minnesota (2010-11) and Baltimore (2012).

He ranks among baseball’s all-time leaders in numerous categories, including home run ratio (4th, 13.76), home runs (7th), walks (7th), OPS (20th, .956), RBI (24th) and slugging percentage (24th). Thome’s 612 homers are the fourth-highest total in major-league history by a left-handed hitter, trailing only Barry Bonds (762), Babe Ruth (714) and Ken Griffey Jr. (630).

“Taking on this new role with the White Sox just seemed like a natural next step for me and my family,” Thome said. “I am excited about the opportunity to make an impact on a major league organization and to work with people I know and respect, like Jerry Reinsdorf, Ken Williams, Rick, Buddy and Robin Ventura. I don’t think I could ask for a better situation than being in Chicago and with the White Sox.”

Thome appeared in 529 games over four seasons with the Sox, batting .265 (469-1,770) with 134 home runs and 369 RBI. He hit his 500th career home run on September 16, 2007 vs. Los Angeles-AL, and his game-winning solo homer off Nick Blackburn on September 30, 2008 gave the White Sox a 1-0 victory over Minnesota in a one-game playoff at U.S. Cellular Field.

Thome, a five-time All-Star, hit 40 or more home runs in a season six times and drove in 100-plus runs on nine occasions. His 17 postseason home runs are the seventh-highest total in major-league history.

He becomes the 11th former White Sox player currently serving as a manager or coach in the organization.

TheVulture
07-02-2013, 03:23 PM
Grooming him to replace Ventura.
Entirely possible

Crestani
07-02-2013, 03:24 PM

Evidently...!!!

Hitmen77
07-02-2013, 03:48 PM

His job will be to rearrange the deck chairs.

:duck:

Boondock Saint
07-02-2013, 03:56 PM
Maybe he can teach our minor leaguers some goddamn plate discipline, because the guys on the major league club sure as hell don't know how to take a pitch.

johnny bench
07-02-2013, 04:20 PM
Neat.

Foulke You
07-02-2013, 05:03 PM
I don't understand the mentality here that if a guy once played for our organization, he has nothing to offer. :?: Thome is well loved around baseball and is a future hall of famer. I would have to think that he has *something* to offer as far as insight into the game.

DSpivack
07-02-2013, 05:16 PM
I don't understand the mentality here that if a guy once played for our organization, he has nothing to offer. :?: Thome is well loved around baseball and is a future hall of famer. I would have to think that he has *something* to offer as far as insight into the game.

That mentality exists because it seems like the Sox have more or less refused to hire anyone from outside of the organization. The only ones that come to mind of late are Marco Paddy and Mark Parent. Many of their hires seem to be more about loyalty in their organization and taking care of their own than they do in putting the organization in the best chance to succeed. Team ambassadors or someone sitting in a studio, who cares. But in terms of positions that truly matter, from the front office to the coaching staff, is a whole 'nother matter.

On an individual level that means less than it does overall. Perhaps Thome will succeed in his role, who knows. But overall the White Sox are clearly loyal to a fault.

Tragg
07-02-2013, 05:27 PM
maybe he can teach our minor leaguers some goddamn plate discipline, because the guys on the major league club sure as hell don't know how to take a pitch.

+1

Just looks like another insider hire.

roylestillman
07-02-2013, 06:00 PM
The more that comes out about this, the more it sounds like you can take the teal off of that Grooming him to take over for Ventura line. Supposedly, today Reinsdorf said that Thome will make a great manager someday. Don't know if we just don't end up in the same boat with an inexperienced manager again, but at least we'd have one with a little more enthusiasm for the job.

amsteel
07-02-2013, 09:26 PM
The more that comes out about this, the more it sounds like you can take the teal off of that Grooming him to take over for Ventura line. Supposedly, today Reinsdorf said that Thome will make a great manager someday. Don't know if we just don't end up in the same boat with an inexperienced manager again, but at least we'd have one with a little more enthusiasm for the job.

But there's no way he directly succeeds Ventura, though. Bringing in Ventura's replacement for a nebulous job while RV is still in charge would undermine the Sox professionally as long as JR owns the team. Just bringing him in a 'special assistant that works with players' sorta undermines the whole coaching staff as it is. Either his role is being overstated or the Sox are terrible at handling hiring and firing. Or both.

I really don't get it. If you want him to coach, hire him as a coach. If you want him in the front office, give him a front office gig. His named position and activity are incongruous.

TheVulture
07-02-2013, 09:36 PM
But there's no way he directly succeeds Ventura, though. Bringing in Ventura's replacement for a nebulous job while RV is still in charge would undermine the Sox professionally as long as JR owns the team.

I'll admit I'm no business genius, but I don't see how that would undermined the Sox professionally.

amsteel
07-02-2013, 09:41 PM
I'll admit I'm no business genius, but I don't see how that would undermined the Sox professionally.

Bringing in your replacement under supposedly non-threatening pretenses while you're still working there? If would make the Sox a very unattractive employer, if they aren't already.

BainesHOF
07-02-2013, 10:49 PM
Yeah, I don't get how he's going to be a special assistant to Hahn and yet he's saying how he's going to help coach. Which is it? As if it matters.

34rancher
07-02-2013, 11:36 PM
What this says to me is how much the players love the organization to "want" to come back and work for the Sox. Jim Thome is incredibly well respected and probably could have gotten a job anywhere. He chose here. It's obvious he enjoyed his time here.
And for the "replace RV" talk, when that time comes there's one name I for one would love as a manager: AJ.

Chez
07-03-2013, 07:14 AM
That mentality exists because it seems like the Sox have more or less refused to hire anyone from outside of the organization. The only ones that come to mind of late are Marco Paddy and Mark Parent. Many of their hires seem to be more about loyalty in their organization and taking care of their own than they do in putting the organization in the best chance to succeed. Team ambassadors or someone sitting in a studio, who cares. But in terms of positions that truly matter, from the front office to the coaching staff, is a whole 'nother matter.

On an individual level that means less than it does overall. Perhaps Thome will succeed in his role, who knows. But overall the White Sox are clearly loyal to a fault.

Joe McEwing, Jeff Manto, Razor Shines, Juan Nieves, Jeff Cox . . . I can keep going. I understand your point -- The Sox seem to hire a lot of their former players as coaches -- more so than other clubs. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. But they also hire from outside their organization.

doublem23
07-03-2013, 08:36 AM
What this says to me is how much the players love the organization to "want" to come back and work for the Sox. Jim Thome is incredibly well respected and probably could have gotten a job anywhere. He chose here. It's obvious he enjoyed his time here.

All very true, but I think have to remember that Jim and his family live in the western suburbs so not having to either uproot his family or travel too often had to play a big role in his decision, as well.

Good summary from Margulas at South Side Sox:

http://www.southsidesox.com/2013/7/3/4488524/white-sox-hire-jim-thome-special-assistant

Foulke You
07-03-2013, 10:25 AM
Joe McEwing, Jeff Manto, Razor Shines, Juan Nieves, Jeff Cox . . . I can keep going. I understand your point -- The Sox seem to hire a lot of their former players as coaches -- more so than other clubs. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. But they also hire from outside their organization.
I'll continue your list: Buddy Bell, Nick Capra (current director of player of development), Tim Laker (current hitting coordinator), Doug Sisson (current baserunning coordinator), John Orton (current catching coordinator), and so on and so forth. They do indeed hire plenty of people from outside the Sox family.

ShooterMcGavin
07-03-2013, 10:09 PM
Any word on Thome's salary?

StillMissOzzie
07-03-2013, 10:13 PM
Helping Hahn answer the phone, I hope.

SMO