PDA

View Full Version : Orioles acquire Feldman and Clevenger

#1swisher
07-02-2013, 01:35 PM
Keith Law

Orioles acquire Scott Feldman & Steve Clevenger from Cubs for Jake Arrietta, Pedro Strop, and int'l bonus slots.

Baltimore Orioles
The O's have also sent International Signing Bonus Slots 3 & 4 to Chicago. Clevenger has been optioned to Triple-A Norfolk.
Additionally OF Nolan Reimold has been activated from the 15-day disabled list.

Ken Rosenthal
Clarification: Feldman can NOT receive qualifying offer now that he has been traded.
Cubs get an additional $380K to spend in intl’ market as part of Feldman deal with #Orioles (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash).

Jon Heyman
clevenger, a glen burnie, md. native is "in tears. it's almost a dream come true,'' says agent joshua kusnick. #orioles (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23orioles&src=hash)

Fastball23
07-02-2013, 01:43 PM
Nice deal for the Cubs

kittle42
07-02-2013, 01:52 PM
"And this guy, we just call him Feldman."

DumpJerry
07-02-2013, 01:56 PM
Feldman was scheduled to start for the Cibs tonight in Oakland. Do we get the honor this week?

JB98
07-02-2013, 01:59 PM
What are the Cubs doing? The Orioles are probably dancing to get rid of bums like Arrieta and Strop in exchange for somebody as reliable as Feldman.

Maybe the Cubs think Bosio will fix them.

PalehosePlanet
07-02-2013, 02:03 PM
This is a garbage-in, garbage-out trade. The O's need a hell of a lot better in the rotation than Scott Feldman for the stretch run. The Cubs getting an extra 388 grand in international signings bonus money ( I had no idea MLB allowed this) is the best of this whole trade, and that's not much.

DSpivack
07-02-2013, 02:09 PM
This is a garbage-in, garbage-out trade. The O's need a hell of a lot better in the rotation than Scott Feldman for the stretch run. The Cubs getting an extra 388 grand in international signings bonus money ( I had no idea MLB allowed this) is the best of this whole trade, and that's not much.

I'd hardly call Feldman garbage this season. Should be a good, inexpensive pickup for Baltimore.

#1swisher
07-02-2013, 02:10 PM
Jesse Sanchez
Int'l slot $ @Cubs (https://twitter.com/Cubs) get from @Orioles (https://twitter.com/Orioles) worth $388,100. Could help @Cubs (https://twitter.com/Cubs) sign No. 1 Int'l prospect Eloy Jimenez if they choose to go that route

JB98
07-02-2013, 02:14 PM
I'd hardly call Feldman garbage this season. Should be a good, inexpensive pickup for Baltimore.

Agreed. I like the pickup for the Orioles. Maybe they need more, but he's a guy who will help.

Arrieta is a 27-year-old reclamation project who belongs in AAA. He has a high ceiling, but at some point you cease to be a prospect. Strop recently complained about being booed at home. I don't think he has the makeup to pitch in Chicago.

PalehosePlanet
07-02-2013, 02:15 PM

I agree it's inexpensive but the O's already have enough 5th starter types; they need better if they're serious about contending. Feldman has a 4.81 career AL ERA, over 5 as a starter. O's fans can only hope that they'll keep looking to add an impact SP.

DSpivack
07-02-2013, 02:29 PM
I agree it's inexpensive but the O's already have enough 5th starter types; they need better if they're serious about contending. Feldman has a 4.81 career AL ERA, over 5 as a starter. O's fans can only hope that they'll keep looking to add an impact SP.

And this trade doesn't hurt them in adding an impact SP, if they go that route, since they gave up little in Arrieta and Strop.

While Feldman has had a pretty mediocre career, it looks like he may have turned a corner this season. Baltimore certainly hopes he can continue his production.

SoxSpeed22
07-02-2013, 03:36 PM
Feldman didn't have much trade value, but could be had. Arrieta is a gamble at this point. Theo is trying to hit it big on the international signings, since they made a minor trade with Houston for more signing pool slots. They made a huge signing by getting Gleyber Torres from Venezuela and Jefferson Meija from the DR.

Golden Sox
07-02-2013, 04:18 PM
The bad guys on the Northside now have made 2 trades the last 2 days. Wouldn't it be nice if the White Sox/Hahn made a trade or two also? Give White Sox fans some kind of hope for the 2nd half of the season. Do something/anything to make this lousy team better. It amazes me that Hahn has not done anything to improve this team the last couple of months.

TheVulture
07-02-2013, 04:37 PM
Keith Law

The O's have also sent International Signing Bonus Slots 3 & 4 to Chicago.

I don't understand this. I thought teams were allotted one lump sum for international signings.

doublem23
07-02-2013, 04:47 PM
I don't understand this. I thought teams were allotted one lump sum for international signings.

The slot values are new this year and a potential precursor to a full blown international draft someday down the line, maybe as early as 2014

http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/2013-2014-international-bonus-slots/

blandman
07-02-2013, 04:50 PM
The Orioles need a few starters, so whether or not some think Feldman is the answer this won't prohibit them from trading for one of our starters.

DSpivack
07-02-2013, 04:58 PM
The Orioles need a few starters, so whether or not some think Feldman is the answer this won't prohibit them from trading for one of our starters.

Gonzalez and Tillman have been good, and when Chen returns that gets them to four decent starters. While Gausman has struggled, his peripherals are good and it's not inconceivable that he could put up some good starts down the stretch. That's not to say they couldn't use another starter, of course.

TheVulture
07-02-2013, 05:10 PM
The slot values are new this year and a potential precursor to a full blown international draft someday down the line, maybe as early as 2014

http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/2013-2014-international-bonus-slots/
Hmm...strange teams are allowed to trade slot values in that case when they aren't allowed to trade draft picks. Seems like the international slots should be more in line with the draft slots as well, but they are generally half of what a draft slot is. Appears to be discriminatory against the international players.

DSpivack
07-02-2013, 06:11 PM
Hmm...strange teams are allowed to trade slot values in that case when they aren't allowed to trade draft picks. Seems like the international slots should be more in line with the draft slots as well, but they are generally half of what a draft slot is. Appears to be discriminatory against the international players.

Like the draft, you can pay over slot, you just can't pay more than your allocated total.

The whole thing seems so needlessly complicated to me that I look forward to a draft in the future.

TheVulture
07-02-2013, 10:48 PM
Like the draft, you can pay over slot, you just can't pay more than your allocated total.

Anderson's bonus would have eaten up the Sox' entire international allotment more or less. I see no good reason why an allotment for international signings should be less than what a player from the amateur draft can sign for. Just because a guy is from the US he should be eligible for a larger signing bonus? I don't think so personally.

#1swisher
07-03-2013, 12:12 PM
Feldman was scheduled to start for the Cibs tonight in Oakland. Do we get the honor this week?

You would be correct...starting in todays game at 6:10.

JB98
07-03-2013, 02:21 PM
The bad guys on the Northside now have made 2 trades the last 2 days. Wouldn't it be nice if the White Sox/Hahn made a trade or two also? Give White Sox fans some kind of hope for the 2nd half of the season. Do something/anything to make this lousy team better. It amazes me that Hahn has not done anything to improve this team the last couple of months.

The Sox are going to make some moves. Be patient.