PDA

View Full Version : Royals DFA Francoeur, maybe a cheap pickup for the Sox?

vinny
06-30-2013, 09:51 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130629&content_id=52209448&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

If we deal Rios, Francoeur could be picked up for cheap if he clears waivers and the Royals release him, since the Royals will still be on the hook for his salary. Then we could ship out one of our AAA/AAAA outfielders.

Tragg
06-30-2013, 09:54 PM
He's a really bad hitter. Wouldn't consider him unless he was absolutely free. Not one prospect of any sort - none. Would look to someone in Charlotte first.

vinny
06-30-2013, 10:12 PM
He's a really bad hitter. Wouldn't consider him unless he was absolutely free. Not one prospect of any sort - none. Would look to someone in Charlotte first.

IMO he'd be good to trot out against lefties, either as an OF or DH. But he'll probably wind up in Japan.

CoopaLoop
06-30-2013, 10:14 PM
He is a terrible, terrible player.

DSpivack
06-30-2013, 11:06 PM
He is a terrible, terrible player.

Yeah, he's terrible. He is not any better at this point than Danks, Wise, or probably even Blake Tekotte.

WLL1855
07-01-2013, 12:22 AM
Yeah, he's terrible. He is not any better at this point than Danks, Wise, or probably even Blake Tekotte.

Meh. We're really struggling to shuffle the talentless here. I wouldn't care either way.

Dibbs
07-01-2013, 12:37 AM
I'd take him over Wise. First move to improve the team would be to get rid of Wise. He is a terrible baseball player. No business in the league.

soxfanreggie
07-01-2013, 07:26 AM
Meh. We're really struggling to shuffle the talentless here. I wouldn't care either way.

He'd be worth a look to compete for the job if we lose Rios, although we might as well have Jordan Danks playing every day after that to see what he does with more time in the field.

TheVulture
07-01-2013, 09:58 AM
If the Sox picked up Francoeur, I'd probably stop watching all together. It'd be like insult to injury. I can't stand that guy walking around with his teeth showing constantly. Surely I'm not the only one. Why doesn't he ever close his lips?!? Was he conceived with a weak sperm or what?

http://media.al.com/sports_impact/photo/9566807-large.jpg

Just look at him! God, I hate that guy.

Irishsox1
07-01-2013, 11:16 AM
For as horrible as that guy is, for 2011-2012 he was a pain for the Sox. He hit .306 against the Sox in 2011 and hit .246 with 3 homers in 2012.

He's a great athlete with a strong arm but he's just can't hit...unless it's against the Sox.

slavko
07-01-2013, 11:57 AM
Remember the days when the Royals were scooping up our castoffs?

Tragg
07-01-2013, 01:48 PM
I'd take him over Wise. First move to improve the team would be to get rid of Wise. He is a terrible baseball player. No business in the league.

That's what makes me wonder about Hahn...he signed that guy as his top bench bat. And if he didn't and Williams is still making personnel decisions, we're in deep trouble anyway.
Franceour is better than Wise, but Wise is on the DL and I assume he'll be DFA's when he gets off anyway.

kittle42
07-01-2013, 01:54 PM
What's the point? Useless veteran in a lost season.

DSpivack
07-01-2013, 02:01 PM
2013:
Francouer: .208/.249/.322
Wise: .234/.258/.328

They're both terrible and don't belong on a big league club (anymore).

JB98
07-01-2013, 03:31 PM
Wise has been on the DL throughout this entire freefall, yet he's still public enemy No. 1 for some folks. No, he is not part of the solution, but damn, why are we always so quick to blame guys who are toiling on the margins anyway? Wise's impact on this season, positively or negatively, has been minimal at best.

And, Francoeur is among the worst players in the major leagues. We already have plenty of guys who suck. He is not an upgrade over Wise or even Jordan Danks. He'd just be a different person for people to bitch about.

SephClone89
07-01-2013, 03:46 PM
Maybe what this team needs is a grinder like Frenchy!

TDog
07-01-2013, 03:56 PM
Wise has been on the DL throughout this entire freefall, yet he's still public enemy No. 1 for some folks. No, he is not part of the solution, but damn, why are we always so quick to blame guys who are toiling on the margins anyway? Wise's impact on this season, positively or negatively, has been minimal at best.

And, Francoeur is among the worst players in the major leagues. We already have plenty of guys who suck. He is not an upgrade over Wise or even Jordan Danks. He'd just be a different person for people to bitch about.

If Wise were healthy and cut by the White Sox at the same time Francour was released by the Royals, I have no doubt Wise would be in a major league uniform before Wise. GMs like Wise far more than fans do, not that there is a very high bar there.

Tragg
07-01-2013, 04:45 PM

But he wasn't on the margins. He was signed as our 9th position player. The bench matters...a lot. It's not him I'm yakking about - it's Sox management for signing him. There's simply no reason to sign a 35 year old who cannot hit and never has been able to hit...fringe or not (and he was not fringe). Heck the prior time the Sox signed him, he began the year as lead-off hitter, and only lost that, not because of his 150 average, but because he got hurt.

The Sox obviously love the guy. Send him to one of the minor league affiliates and get him started on a coaching career.

TheVulture
07-01-2013, 06:38 PM
I have no doubt Wise would be in a major league uniform before Wise.

Es imposible!:redneck

JB98
07-02-2013, 01:59 AM
But he wasn't on the margins. He was signed as our 9th position player. The bench matters...a lot. It's not him I'm yakking about - it's Sox management for signing him. There's simply no reason to sign a 35 year old who cannot hit and never has been able to hit...fringe or not (and he was not fringe). Heck the prior time the Sox signed him, he began the year as lead-off hitter, and only lost that, not because of his 150 average, but because he got hurt.

The Sox obviously love the guy. Send him to one of the minor league affiliates and get him started on a coaching career.

He has 64 at-bats this year. He's inconsequential. And he's still been a better player than Francoeur this year.

When you're going through a bad season, the bums from other teams are better than the bums you've already got, I guess.

DrCrawdad
07-02-2013, 07:47 AM
For as horrible as that guy is, for 2011-2012 he was a pain for the Sox. He hit .306 against the Sox in 2011 and hit .246 with 3 homers in 2012.

He's a great athlete with a strong arm but he's just can't hit...unless it's against the Sox.

That's what I was thinking too. If Francoeur is gone from the Royals, good for the Sox.