PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 6-30 "Look Ma! No errors!" Postgamer

DumpJerry
06-30-2013, 04:01 PM
Just a bleep, bloop, walk and slam away from a 10th inning. :angry:

DSpivack
06-30-2013, 04:09 PM
FWIW, during the broadcast they mentioned that this was the first ever 4-game sweep for Cleveland in Chicago.

SoxSpeed22
06-30-2013, 04:10 PM
So, are we going to win another game before the all-star break?

Tragg
06-30-2013, 04:23 PM
And only 123 pitches for Sale....way to go Ventura. Pitch his arm out so we can win 65 games.

LITTLE NELL
06-30-2013, 04:33 PM
And only 123 pitches for Sale....way to go Ventura. Pitch his arm out so we can win 65 games.

Saving the bullpen for the stretch drive.

TomBradley72
06-30-2013, 04:37 PM
Well- the good news is the 2013 White Sox maintained their 3 game lead on the 1970 White Sox.

June 30, 1970- Sox lost 4-3 to Oakland- despite a HR (off Catfish Hunter) and 3 RBis by Carlos May- in front of 5,251 at old Comiskey Park.

For June- 1970 White Sox were 9-19, 2013 White Sox- 8-19,

shingo10
06-30-2013, 04:37 PM
I always wondered what it would feel like to root for a team that was going to lose 100 games. Turns out its not that great.

Still love the game of baseball but man is it hard to watch when the people playing it are lifeless.

Seems like Stone got pretty agitated at the end by Alexei staring out at Masterson. So it goes.

TheVulture
06-30-2013, 05:01 PM

I don't have a problem with a 123 pitches. A hundred twelve years of major league baseball history doesn't support the claim limiting a pitcher to a hundred pitchers preserves his arm or limits the risk of injury in the long run.

Stanley
06-30-2013, 05:04 PM
Alexei is one guy that seems to think he is intentionally hit every time.

More Dr. Seuss, please.

ChiSoxGal85
06-30-2013, 05:14 PM
With apologies to tebman, I can't even approach his cleverness, but this is how I feel today:

I will not watch them in a boat
I will not watch them with a goat.

I do not like these White Sox men
I do not like them anywhere.

slavko
06-30-2013, 07:03 PM
I'm tipping my cap. Masterson threw the nastiest **** I've seen all year. Three fastballs and a change and two sliders. All under control and breaking sharp. If you love great pitching, this was a masterpiece.

And the series wasn't a total loss. It reminded me of another Kipnis, a Russian, later American opera singer of long ago. Got some great stuff on YouTube. Check it out if you like that sort of thing. The 2nd baseman is pretty damn good too.

What else am I supposed to write about when the team sucks this bad?

mahagga73
06-30-2013, 07:52 PM
Facts are facts. As pitch count restrictions have increased, so have arm injuries to pitchers. Unless you are arguing we are in the midst of a process human devolution, I don't know how you can claim there is no correlation. And how does it just so happen a nice round number like 100 becomes a magic number where that's acceptable but not 120 pitches. If we were using the duodecimal system instead of the decimal system, people would probably praising Ventura for keeping him under pitch count right now.
Japanese baseball does not have the Major League pitch count theory. I wonder if anybody has any kind of info based on that. They also throw a lot between starts I've heard. I don't know . Do they last longer , have shorter careers?

waldo_the_wolf
06-30-2013, 08:17 PM
It seemed pretty unbelievable that the Indians had never swept a four game series in Chicago, even though both teams have played since 1901. That actually kinda makes me happy since it shows that at least the Sox haven't had nearly as pathetic a history as the Tribe. Hey, you grasp at whatever positive straws are there in a year like this one.

mahagga73
06-30-2013, 08:25 PM
It seemed pretty unbelievable that the Indians had never swept a four game series in Chicago, even though both teams have played since 1901. That actually kinda makes me happy since it shows that at least the Sox haven't had nearly as pathetic a history as the Tribe. Hey, you grasp at whatever positive straws are there in a year like this one.
Yeah Cleveland has been pretty bad, really only real good in the 40's, 50's, early 60's and the 90's mostly. I think that's right. Their 1920 WS title was a direct result of the banishment of the Black Sox was it not? Comiskey banished the culprits at the end of the season and the Indians beat them by 2 games. Besides that, 1948 ,54, the 90's, not much. The Sox have been marginally better I guess. I like the Indians lineup and they have decent pitching , and a manager who knows what he is doing. I think they are setting up for a pretty good run .

Stanley
06-30-2013, 08:35 PM
And the series wasn't a total loss. It reminded me of another Kipnis, a Russian, later American opera singer of long ago. Got some great stuff on YouTube. Check it out if you like that sort of thing. The 2nd baseman is pretty damn good too.

What else am I supposed to write about when the team sucks this bad?

I feel you. The vendor thread made me angry again about my recent bad experience at Leona's.

Brian26
06-30-2013, 10:08 PM
I always wondered what it would feel like to root for a team that was going to lose 100 games. Turns out its not that great.

Still love the game of baseball but man is it hard to watch when the people playing it are lifeless.

Seems like Stone got pretty agitated at the end by Alexei staring out at Masterson. So it goes.

Alexei has turned into a headcase.

JB98
06-30-2013, 10:11 PM
We sat on the fan deck and had a pretty good view of the stuff both pitchers were featuring. I could tell by the end of the third inning Masterson was going to throw a shutout. He had good stuff, and well, the Sox stink. They had no prayer against that guy.

I feel bad for Sale. He was good enough to win. That's been a familiar refrain for him this year. Not much offensive support.

DSpivack
06-30-2013, 10:12 PM

The downturn in his career, both offensively and defensively, is rather bizarre to me. Hopefully some contender will look at his batting average and SBs and be tempted.

SoxSpeed22
06-30-2013, 10:18 PM
Some contending team (Yankees maybe) could look at Alexei and see that he needs a good swift kick in the cheat from time to time. They have the right guys that will straighten him out. But I think if the Sox are going to deal him, it would have to be in the offseason, since he has a few years left and they probably won't get much from him now.

PaleHoser
06-30-2013, 11:02 PM
Haven't verified these numbers, but assuming they are accurate, they are worth pointing out.

In 6 June starts Chris Sale pitched 42.1 innings with a 3.21 ERA, 1.05 WHIP, 53 strikeouts and 9 walks. He went 0-5.

Sale needs to get an attorney and file for non-support.

waldo_the_wolf
06-30-2013, 11:54 PM
I remember earlier this year reading a story on mlb.com about Alexei's parents seeing him play in person for the first time ever. I can't help but think there might be some family or personal problems going on.

Hitmen77
07-01-2013, 09:22 AM
FWIW, during the broadcast they mentioned that this was the first ever 4-game sweep for Cleveland in Chicago.
http://pool.theinfosphere.org/images/8/83/Suicide_Booth_fry.jpeg

Sounds like Dusty Baker back in his Flubs days.

Well- the good news is the 2013 White Sox maintained their 3 game lead on the 1970 White Sox.

June 30, 1970- Sox lost 4-3 to Oakland- despite a HR (off Catfish Hunter) and 3 RBis by Carlos May- in front of 5,251 at old Comiskey Park.

For June- 1970 White Sox were 9-19, 2013 White Sox- 8-19,

In the first half of 2006, one of the local papers ran a daily comparison of the Sox W-L record vs. the record at that point in 2005.

Now, 7 years later, this team has dropped so far that we're looking at comparison to the 1970 White Sox. I don't know what to say except:
:shakehead::emo::whiner::angry::cuss:

vinny
07-01-2013, 10:35 AM
We sat on the fan deck and had a pretty good view of the stuff both pitchers were featuring. I could tell by the end of the third inning Masterson was going to throw a shutout. He had good stuff, and well, the Sox stink. They had no prayer against that guy.

I feel bad for Sale. He was good enough to win. That's been a familiar refrain for him this year. Not much offensive support.

Haven't verified these numbers, but assuming they are accurate, they are worth pointing out.

In 6 June starts Chris Sale pitched 42.1 innings with a 3.21 ERA, 1.05 WHIP, 53 strikeouts and 9 walks. He went 0-5.

For the season, Sale is tied for 3rd among all pitchers with 4.4 WAR and top-20 in ERA among starters at 2.79, top 10 in K/9 and K/BB as well. Yet in run support he gets only 2.73 runs per start. No starter in MLB with stats like that gets shafted worse. It's beyond pathetic, it's criminal.

TomBradley72
07-01-2013, 11:55 AM
http://pool.theinfosphere.org/images/8/83/Suicide_Booth_fry.jpeg

Sounds like Dusty Baker back in his Flubs days.

In the first half of 2006, one of the local papers ran a daily comparison of the Sox W-L record vs. the record at that point in 2005.

Now, 7 years later, this team has dropped so far that we're looking at comparison to the 1970 White Sox. I don't know what to say except:
:shakehead::emo::whiner::angry::cuss:

The 1970 White Sox went 10-20 in July, then 12-18 in August- with our upcoming "fire sale" and no real prospects in the minors to call up- could be a tight "race".

We'll pick up a half game on the 1970 team today- Gary Janeski took the loss, 3-0 to Oakland, Campaneris went deep off Wood in the 9th to seal the deal. Aparicio had 3 hits off starter Rollie Fingers- but that was about it for the Sox in front of 7,842 at Comiskey Park.

doublem23
07-01-2013, 12:43 PM
For the season, Sale is tied for 3rd among all pitchers with 4.4 WAR and top-20 in ERA among starters at 2.79, top 10 in K/9 and K/BB as well. Yet in run support he gets only 2.73 runs per start. No starter in MLB with stats like that gets shafted worse. It's beyond pathetic, it's criminal.

Sale is the top pitcher in the American League in WAR currently, and third overall amongst all players behind only Manny Machado and Miguel Cabrera...

Anybody know who the last SP to make the All-Star team with a losing record was? It appears Chris is about to join a pretty exclusive club.

kittle42
07-01-2013, 01:19 PM
Anybody know who the last SP to make the All-Star team with a losing record was? It appears Chris is about to join a pretty exclusive club.

King Felix came close the last two years, but no dice.

Tragg
07-01-2013, 02:05 PM

yea. He's still got good range.
I'd keep him, barring an offer with legit prospects, which no one expects.

mahagga73
07-01-2013, 09:52 PM

He has an unheard of opposing BA of .199 , that's the stat that blew me away. I don't ever remember seeing that out of a starting pitcher in the Big League's.

kittle42
07-02-2013, 10:10 AM
He has an unheard of opposing BA of .199 , that's the stat that blew me away. I don't ever remember seeing that out of a starting pitcher in the Big League's.

In the Big League's what? Chew?

[It's been a while - so cut me some slack]