PDA

View Full Version : Todd feels unwanted.


RedPinStripes
08-03-2002, 12:58 PM
Down and nearly out

August 3, 2002

BY DOUG PADILLA STAFF REPORTER










byline:

Doug

PADILLA

The Sox

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla.-- Todd Ritchie said he feels like an unwanted man in Chicago and blames nobody but himself.

A somber and downtrodden Ritchie continues to answer questions regarding his struggles, still refusing to make excuses for his 5-14 record and 6.12 ERA.

"It's just my opinion, but I don't see them trying to keep me around,'' said Ritchie, who is eligible for arbitration after this season. "That's just the nature of the game, and that's just the way it goes sometimes. Would I like to stay around? Yes, I'd like to stay around and try to help the team and try to do some damage control from what I've done so far.

"But it's a business, and sometimes things happen. Hopefully we'll win these next couple of months, and maybe they will keep me around.''

Ritchie will start tonight against the Tampa Bay Devil Rays only because the Bob Howry trade this week to the Boston Red Sox required Rocky Biddle to return to the bullpen. Manager Jerry Manuel already had made the decision to start Biddle today and put Ritchie in the bullpen until Biddle was asked to assume Howry's role in middle relief.

"I don't want to be in the bullpen,'' Ritchie said. "I'll do whatever is necessary to help the team, but I see myself as a starter. I'm in the midst of a horrible year, but I look at the big picture. I'm not going to quit. I'm not going to give up. It's hard to go through a year like this, but I think I have a lot of good years left starting.''

Ritchie missed his last start because of inflammation in his pitching shoulder. He said he tried to keep the injury private and still make his start last weekend against the Kansas City Royals, but trainer Herm Schneider wouldn't let him.

"I noticed it was more sore than usual, and I couldn't play catch the next day,'' Ritchie said of his last start, which came July 22 against the Minnesota Twins. "I tried to go as discretely as possible to Herm to see if he could get me back going to where I could make my next start. He pretty much told me that I could miss a start and be right back in there.''

He will try to start showing Sox fans, himself and his teammates that he is the pitcher the team thought so highly of when they traded for him during the offseason.

"I do think that you'll probably see a little better start from him [today] than you've seen in his last two or three starts,'' Manuel said.

THUMB LUCK: Joe Crede got his first day off since joining the Sox on Tuesday. Despite Crede going 1-for-11 (.091) in his first three games, Manuel said the move was not performance-related. He said Crede is suffering from a sore left thumb.

"He's our regular third baseman, and we spoke with him about that and assured him that we don't want him to put any pressure on himself to try to get hits or to try to impress,'' Manuel said. "We just want him to relax [Friday] and enjoy a ballgame and be ready to go [today] and the days after.''

LINEUP SHUFFLE: Jose Valentin, who was supposed to start in place of Crede, strained his neck during batting practice and was scratched from the lineup. Tony Graffanino took his place.

After taking a swing in the batting cage, Valentin walked gingerly back to the dugout. He originally appeared to have an injury in his right arm. Schneider said Valentin was better than day-to-day, labeling him as "hour-to-hour, minute-to-minute.''

SoxxoS
08-03-2002, 01:45 PM
Intrestingly enough...he is unwanted. :)

LongDistanceFan
08-03-2002, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Intrestingly enough...he is unwanted. :)

interesting enuf, he is going to walk.

DrCrawdad
08-03-2002, 03:45 PM
Toad is not pitching well (duh), but at least he's not bitchin' like this moron.

:jaime

CubKilla
08-03-2002, 03:49 PM
"It's just my opinion, but I don't see them trying to keep me around....."

Geez Todd, what gave you that idea?

Foulke You
08-03-2002, 03:52 PM
AHHHHHHHH!!!!! That Navarro tag still disturbs me. Sometimes I wake up in a cold sweat imagining that Navarro is still our #1 starter.

Kilroy
08-03-2002, 04:16 PM
How you gonna feel when Ritchie signs elsewhere in the off-season and then goes 17-7 next year? Will you be glad he's gone then? It will happen.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
08-03-2002, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Down and nearly out

August 3, 2002

BY DOUG PADILLA STAFF REPORTER


byline:

Doug

PADILLA

The Sox

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla.-- Todd Ritchie said he feels like an unwanted man in Chicago and blames nobody but himself.

A somber and downtrodden Ritchie continues to answer questions regarding his struggles, still refusing to make excuses for his 5-14 record and 6.12 ERA.

"It's just my opinion, but I don't see them trying to keep me around,'' said Ritchie, who is eligible for arbitration after this season. "That's just the nature of the game, and that's just the way it goes sometimes. Would I like to stay around? Yes, I'd like to stay around and try to help the team and try to do some damage control from what I've done so far.

"But it's a business, and sometimes things happen. Hopefully we'll win these next couple of months, and maybe they will keep me around.''

Ritchie will start tonight against the Tampa Bay Devil Rays only because the Bob Howry trade this week to the Boston Red Sox required Rocky Biddle to return to the bullpen. Manager Jerry Manuel already had made the decision to start Biddle today and put Ritchie in the bullpen until Biddle was asked to assume Howry's role in middle relief.

"I don't want to be in the bullpen,'' Ritchie said. "I'll do whatever is necessary to help the team, but I see myself as a starter. I'm in the midst of a horrible year, but I look at the big picture. I'm not going to quit. I'm not going to give up. It's hard to go through a year like this, but I think I have a lot of good years left starting.''

Ritchie missed his last start because of inflammation in his pitching shoulder. He said he tried to keep the injury private and still make his start last weekend against the Kansas City Royals, but trainer Herm Schneider wouldn't let him.

"I noticed it was more sore than usual, and I couldn't play catch the next day,'' Ritchie said of his last start, which came July 22 against the Minnesota Twins. "I tried to go as discretely as possible to Herm to see if he could get me back going to where I could make my next start. He pretty much told me that I could miss a start and be right back in there.''

He will try to start showing Sox fans, himself and his teammates that he is the pitcher the team thought so highly of when they traded for him during the offseason.

"I do think that you'll probably see a little better start from him [today] than you've seen in his last two or three starts,'' Manuel said.

THUMB LUCK: Joe Crede got his first day off since joining the Sox on Tuesday. Despite Crede going 1-for-11 (.091) in his first three games, Manuel said the move was not performance-related. He said Crede is suffering from a sore left thumb.

"He's our regular third baseman, and we spoke with him about that and assured him that we don't want him to put any pressure on himself to try to get hits or to try to impress,'' Manuel said. "We just want him to relax [Friday] and enjoy a ballgame and be ready to go [today] and the days after.''

LINEUP SHUFFLE: Jose Valentin, who was supposed to start in place of Crede, strained his neck during batting practice and was scratched from the lineup. Tony Graffanino took his place.

After taking a swing in the batting cage, Valentin walked gingerly back to the dugout. He originally appeared to have an injury in his right arm. Schneider said Valentin was better than day-to-day, labeling him as "hour-to-hour, minute-to-minute.''

Damn right we don't want him here. This guy was supposed to give our pitching staff a lift & solidify it& he has been nothing but a cancer to this team. BUH BYE JACKASS! Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

LongDistanceFan
08-03-2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
How you gonna feel when Ritchie signs elsewhere in the off-season and then goes 17-7 next year? Will you be glad he's gone then? It will happen.

and what happen if he wants a raised from his previous salary?

Daver
08-03-2002, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan


and what happen if he wants a raised from his previous salary?

The Sox will offer him arbitration for the simple fact that an arbitrator will have him take a pay cut for the season he has had..........

LongDistanceFan
08-03-2002, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by daver


The Sox will offer him arbitration for the simple fact that an arbitrator will have him take a pay cut for the season he has had..........

i can live with that, and then see if he can rebound. even thou the trade was a bad one, he is on the team now and i hope he can rebound into something serviceable.

CubKilla
08-03-2002, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
How you gonna feel when Ritchie signs elsewhere in the off-season and then goes 17-7 next year? Will you be glad he's gone then? It will happen.

And your basis for this assumption is what? Ritchie has never even been close to a 17-7 season. The only reason his record last year wasn't similar to the one he has this year is because of the well touted "strong second half" of 2001. 3 young arms with potential gone for this stiff. Way to go KW.

FanOf14
08-04-2002, 09:38 AM
In all seriousness, Ritchie may have never been a Cy Young, but he has never been this terrible. Have they done tests on his shoulder and see if he needs glasses or something? There are others that I think really need to think about getting their eyes checked. Heck, it couldn't hurt and it might help.

baggio202
08-04-2002, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by daver


The Sox will offer him arbitration for the simple fact that an arbitrator will have him take a pay cut for the season he has had..........

has an arbitrator ever gave a guy a paycut.. i look to sterling hitchcock as an example...he went to arbitration last year...his season , while not as bad as ritchie's was horrible none the less...and he was making 6 million and either got the same from an abitrator or a 100k raise..he either 6 mill or 6.1...

do they ever knock a guy down in arbitration???

Kilroy
08-04-2002, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla


And your basis for this assumption is what? Ritchie has never even been close to a 17-7 season. The only reason his record last year wasn't similar to the one he has this year is because of the well touted "strong second half" of 2001. 3 young arms with potential gone for this stiff. Way to go KW.

15-9 in 99 is close to 17-7. Check your numbers before you tell someone they are wrong.

The basis for the assumption is that's the type of thing that happens to the White Sox. Pitcher sucks while he's here, goes somewhere else and is good. Sound like anyone we know? DWells? Kip Wells?

Looking at Ritchie's pitches, he hits 94-95 and has movement on his fastball. His breaking stuff is pretty decent. and he can change speeds. So its gotta be that he's not deceptive enough, and is carless w/ his location. Things that could possibly be corrected...

RedPinStripes
08-04-2002, 12:16 PM
I try not to bash Ritchie too much because I was one that liked to se Kip go at first. I still thought they gave up too much for him , but I thought this deal would work out. Ritchie does make me sick though. I never thought Kip would turn into a stud. I just thought he was weak minded on the mound. Also, Ritchie admits his mistakes unlike Royce.

So much for thinking, but at least i admit it.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
08-04-2002, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
I try not to bash Ritchie too much because I was one that liked to se Kip go at first. I still thought they gave up too much for him , but I thought this deal would work out. Ritchie does make me sick though. I never thought Kip would turn into a stud. I just thought he was weak minded on the mound. Also, Ritchie admits his mistakes unlike Royce.

So much for thinking, but at least i admit it.

What about Fogg & Sean Lowe?

I think Lowe got thrown in there just because the management team hated him.