PDA

View Full Version : Vendors

Jerko
06-29-2013, 01:38 PM
I was at the DH yesterday (well I left halfway through game 2), but I got to the park at about 3:30 and noticed there was nobody selling anything in the seating area. NO vendors until 6 pm. AND the permanent stands in LF were closed as well. For some reason that really pissed me off. People are going to show up for this tripe have a ****in vender available for them. What a lazy organization. I realize it's a long day for everyone but that was asinine IMO.

robertks61
06-29-2013, 01:44 PM
I noticed that also. Not 1st class, they didn't need the full crew but could have staggered the shifts.

Scoreboard operation as far as balls and strikes was very poor also. 2-1 count showing 0-1. Do they have a 3rd grader working it? Pay attention and keep it up to date.

Mr. Jinx
06-29-2013, 02:05 PM
Seemed like they had their "B" staff out there until the 2nd game.

hanger
06-29-2013, 02:36 PM
The beer vendor at a permanent stand behind home plate in the upper deck was complaining about the "stupid" promotion letting in people wearing Blackhawk's gear at a special rate. He went on to tell his buddy how he even might make a little more money.

Really? Stupid? In front of me wearing a Blackhawk's hat? That shouldn't even have meant anything but it did and I'm glad my kids weren't with me to hear him talking.

Ignorant and inexcusable.

DSpivack
06-29-2013, 03:24 PM
The beer vendor at a permanent stand behind home plate in the upper deck was complaining about the "stupid" promotion letting in people wearing Blackhawk's gear at a special rate. He went on to tell his buddy how he even might make a little more money.

Really? Stupid? In front of me wearing a Blackhawk's hat? That shouldn't even have meant anything but it did and I'm glad my kids weren't with me to hear him talking.

Ignorant and inexcusable.

I priced out the DH using a code a couple days ago, and it ended up being slightly less than that promotion anyway.

Also, if it let in more people so he could make more money selling beer, why would it be stupid? :scratch:

amsteel
06-29-2013, 03:27 PM
Seemed like they had their "B" staff out there until the 2nd game.

There's an "A" staff?

TomBradley72
06-29-2013, 03:54 PM
There's an "A" staff?

Laughed out loud- well said-

Boondock Saint
06-29-2013, 04:04 PM
It didn't bother me because I go to the concourse and buy polishes instead of the steamed hot dogs from the venders, and I almost never buy beer at the games anyway, but I definitely noticed the lack/lack of activity of the venders yesterday.

Mr. Jinx
06-29-2013, 06:31 PM
There's an "A" staff?

I suppose I should have said "D" staff! You're right.

Harry Potter
06-29-2013, 07:25 PM
I'm glad others noticed this as well. I was given tickets in the Club Level for the DH yesterday (as opposed to my normal season ticket location in Section 158). In the middle of the game, I looked out at the park and not one green shirted vendor in the stadium. It wasn't until 6:10pm until I saw my first green shirted vendor walking the concourse.

In between games I went down to my normal seats and chatted with the beer vendor who regularly works in my section. He said they were told to treat it as a normal 7:10pm game and basically no need to show up for the first game because they weren't expecting anyone to show up for the first game. It's one thing to say that on a regular true DH but when you specifically market the DH as an offer for Blackhawks fans who just finished attending the parade/rally and then don't bother having any of the vendors show up until the second game?

Yet another example of the joke known as White Sox management.

Speaking of the Club Level, they did not even have wait staff working the seats at the start of the first game. When they finally showed up in the 3rd inning, they began taking orders --- only to later tell patrons that they could only take drink orders because the kitchen wasn't ready yet.

Kudos White Sox!! :angry:

roylestillman
06-29-2013, 07:33 PM
Well today I sat in the Club level and on my way to my seats I noticed they were selling a good looking gyro plate at the Deli table near Section 318. After the 3rd inning I wandered down to get one only to find my man in the chef's hat packing up for the day....Again did I mention the 4th inning hadn't started yet?

Losing is contagious and it has infected operations off the field.

WhiteSox5187
06-29-2013, 08:20 PM
I'm glad others noticed this as well. I was given tickets in the Club Level for the DH yesterday (as opposed to my normal season ticket location in Section 158). In the middle of the game, I looked out at the park and not one green shirted vendor in the stadium. It wasn't until 6:10pm until I saw my first green shirted vendor walking the concourse.

In between games I went down to my normal seats and chatted with the beer vendor who regularly works in my section. He said they were told to treat it as a normal 7:10pm game and basically no need to show up for the first game because they weren't expecting anyone to show up for the first game. It's one thing to say that on a regular true DH but when you specifically market the DH as an offer for Blackhawks fans who just finished attending the parade/rally and then don't bother having any of the vendors show up until the second game?

Yet another example of the joke known as White Sox management.

Speaking of the Club Level, they did not even have wait staff working the seats at the start of the first game. When they finally showed up in the 3rd inning, they began taking orders --- only to later tell patrons that they could only take drink orders because the kitchen wasn't ready yet.

Kudos White Sox!! :angry:

That's pitiful, the Sox marketed the first game heavily to people who were wearing Blackhawks gear and then the Sox do nothing to accomdate them. That's not a good way to try and build repeat customers.

Harry Potter
06-29-2013, 08:26 PM
That's pitiful, the Sox marketed the first game heavily to people who were wearing Blackhawks gear and then the Sox do nothing to accomdate them. That's not a good way to try and build repeat customers.

Exactly - and they wonder why people don't come out to the ballpark.

Today's adventures in pissing off your fans included suddenly changing the in/our policy so all the fans who wanted to get in early to get the Billy Pierce statue, then return to their cars were told they couldn't do that - after they had already scanned their tickets.

Milw
06-29-2013, 11:19 PM
I ordered a buffalo chicken sandwich from the Fan Deck outlet yesterday. (It tasted nothing like buffalo chicken, but that's beside the point.) They normally sell this and other sandwiches as "value baskets," but there's a note at the bottom of the menu that reads, "all items can be purchased a la carte." Because this is the White Sox, you know where this is headed: I proceeded to be told by the cashier (and her manager!) that they don't actually sell the sandwiches a la carte, that the menu is wrong, etc. Three minutes of arguing later--it was the principle, at that point-- they finally begrudgingly "made an exception" for me.

All of which is to say: I hate this organization.

DumpJerry
06-30-2013, 12:02 AM
Reading this thread is giving me flashbacks to JR's first season owning the team. When Veeck owned the team (his four years coincided with my four years of high school, so I guess I was spoiled), it was fun and baseball at the park. When JR took over, it was baseball and behave yourself at the ballpark.

kittle42
06-30-2013, 02:25 AM
I haven't been to a game since opening day and this thread only makes me feel better about my decision.

**** the Sox, for a while at least.

johnny bench
06-30-2013, 08:54 AM
OTOH...We got to the stadium just at the start of game 1. Rain had just ended 15 minutes or so prior to the start of the game, and our usher was ready with hand towels and dried off our seats for us. Great service.

ChiSoxFann
06-30-2013, 10:28 AM
I always sit in the upper deck on the 1st base side and the last few home games I've attended (including Friday's game 1 and Saturday for the Pierce statue) I've noticed the permanent polish sausage stand by section 524 hasn't been open. Not sure if something's wrong with the grill or if it's closed for attendane reasons, but it does suck having to walk al the way to the 3rd base side just to buy a polish with grilled onions.

WhiteSox5187
06-30-2013, 02:56 PM
I know that this won't help matters at all but has anyone emailed Brooks to tell him about this stuff? The team sucks and he can't help that but the White Sox keep trying to market their product as fun at the old ballpark and how fun it is to go to a White Sox game, the evidence in these threads suggest that the White Sox will not be getting many repeat customers unless the team wins.

LITTLE NELL
06-30-2013, 03:10 PM
I'm wondering how this Vendor job works these days. When I was a vendor in 1962 there was no one to tell you to work or stay home. The guys that showed up game after game got the best items to sell. If your showed up once a homestand you got to sell Ice Cream or Lemonade when the temp was in the 40s. I was a kid and showed up quite a bit but was too young to sell beer but believe it or not peanuts were the next best thing and I usually got them to sell. A lot of the old guys got to sell programs at the gate which was good and then sold collectibles. The old guys also got hot dogs.
I'm also wondering if they work on commission these days, we got 25 percent, if they are on commission these days they could be making a fortune selling beer.

BainesHOF
06-30-2013, 03:11 PM
If it takes emailing Boyer about these problems for him to learn about them then that's a major problem. He, or somebody from the organization, should be reading this board daily, and correcting problems pronto (along with contacting the people who posted complaints to apologize and make good).

WhiteSox5187
06-30-2013, 03:16 PM
If it takes emailing Boyer about these problems for him to learn about them then that's a major problem. He, or somebody from the organization, should be reading this board daily, and correcting problems pronto (along with contacting the people who posted complaints to apologize and make good).

I have no doubt that the White Sox do not look at this board, it seems to me that the White Sox marketing department operates in a bubble. "Yea, let's take off the white sock from the road uniforms, let's get rid of dollar dog days, oh and we should change the montage at the beginning of the game. Who will notice?"

amsteel
06-30-2013, 03:35 PM
I assume someone in the organization reads the board, but I also assume they realize catering to the small fraction of hard core Sox fans' opinions on the board is not good business.

DumpJerry
06-30-2013, 03:44 PM
I'm also wondering if they work on commission these days, we got 25 percent, if they are on commission these days they could be making a fortune selling beer.
They get a commission. I know that in 2010, the in-stands beer vendors got $.50 a bottle. Before you think they were making out like bandits, the Twins that year were paying their in-stands beer people $1.00 per bottle.

LITTLE NELL
06-30-2013, 04:19 PM
They get a commission. I know that in 2010, the in-stands beer vendors got $.50 a bottle. Before you think they were making out like bandits, the Twins that year were paying their in-stands beer people $1.00 per bottle.

So they are not getting 25%.
What does a beer go for this year, if its 8 bucks they would get a 2 dollar commission, sounds like they are getting around 6 or 7 %.
Beers were a buck a bottle in 1962 and the guys got a quarter a bottle which compared to what you say the guys are getting now was very good.

TomBradley72
06-30-2013, 04:26 PM
I know that this won't help matters at all but has anyone emailed Brooks to tell him about this stuff? The team sucks and he can't help that but the White Sox keep trying to market their product as fun at the old ballpark and how fun it is to go to a White Sox game, the evidence in these threads suggest that the White Sox will not be getting many repeat customers unless the team wins.

I've emailed Brooks a number of times over the past few years- including the "annual complaint thread" I started after Opening Day.

I'll give him credit for always responding- but the responses are mostly rationalizations, defensiveness, "our surveys tell us were doing the right things",etc.- so I've given up. He started off very strong in his role- but like most, if not all of the White Sox organization, it's time for a change.

Harry Potter
06-30-2013, 04:58 PM

I e-mailed Brooks about my experiences this weekend (lack of vendors, utter confusion over the change in the in/out policy, etc.). If I get a response, I will gladly share with the board.

Dan H
06-30-2013, 05:15 PM
I've emailed Brooks a number of times over the past few years- including the "annual complaint thread" I started after Opening Day.

I'll give him credit for always responding- but the responses are mostly rationalizations, defensiveness, "our surveys tell us were doing the right things",etc.- so I've given up. He started off very strong in his role- but like most, if not all of the White Sox organization, it's time for a change.

I agree with you on Brooks. He is a bright man, but he is part of a stagnant organization. A change would do him good, too.

The complaints on this thread are nothing new. The White Sox have never been good in the customer service end of things. It is one of many reasons for bad attendance.

hanger
06-30-2013, 09:57 PM
I priced out the DH using a code a couple days ago, and it ended up being slightly less than that promotion anyway.

Also, if it let in more people so he could make more money selling beer, why would it be stupid? :scratch:

What his comment meant to me was that more people there meant that he'd have to work harder.

For some reason I've been leaving the park the last few seasons feeling like my family and I have been more of a burden to the operation than the reason it exists in the first place. Depressing.

I'm going to take a break and wait to hear if things improve. Right now I feel my money can be spent better elsewhere.

Brian26
06-30-2013, 09:58 PM
It is hard to mess up a polish from the grill (unless the bun is stale) along with the old stand-by of churros. I mean, you cannot mess up fried dough with sugar on it. I made the mistake of trying those Hooters wings from the upper deck stand last time I was there. Those turned out to be a disappointment, as was the chicken fingers platter from the main concession stand on the previous visit. For now on it's Polish/churros or Jimmy John's on 35th Street, unless I'm in Club Level or in JR's suite. :tongue:

Brian26
06-30-2013, 10:00 PM
What his comment meant to me was that more people there meant that he'd have to work harder.

For some reason I've been leaving the park the last few seasons feeling like my family and I have been more of a burden to the operation than the reason it exists in the first place. Depressing.

I'm going to take a break and wait to hear if things improve. Right now I feel my money can be spent better elsewhere.

Brooks now has the kids in the red shirts on the ramps after the games telling you "thanks for coming and have a nice day", which seems more like trying to seal the hole in hull of the Titanic with a band-aid than trying to actually solve real problems inside the park.

DSpivack
06-30-2013, 10:04 PM
It is hard to mess up a polish from the grill (unless the bun is stale) along with the old stand-by of churros. I mean, you cannot mess up fried dough with sugar on it. I made the mistake of trying those Hooters wings from the upper deck stand last time I was there. Those turned out to be a disappointment, as was the chicken fingers platter from the main concession stand on the previous visit. For now on it's Polish/churros or Jimmy John's on 35th Street, unless I'm in Club Level or in JR's suite. :tongue:

You say that, but the couple times I tried churros at the park last season they were stale. :(:

Jerko
07-01-2013, 08:15 AM
You say that, but the couple times I tried churros at the park last season they were stale. :(:

Friend of mine yesterday went to get a burger at the "rotunda in the batter's eye" (aka, FAN DECK), was gone for about a half hour because they were arguing with her that it's not just a burger anymore, it's a burger basket, etc etc etc, and she came back with a pretzel from the 2003 all-star game. Thankfully I have my SC membership in case any of my friends wants real food with good service. I don't mean to be picky, but whoever shows up at that place should get their asses kissed IMO with what they're forced to watch on the field. Anyone at that first game friday deserved a medal not the bum's rush.

Harry Potter
07-01-2013, 08:57 AM
The response I received from Brooks

Thank you for the note. This is the second email along these lines this weekend. As you likely know, we have Sportservice running our concessions (vendors) on our main levels and Levy Restaurants does so on the Club Level. They were made aware of the promotion on Friday. Why they did not staff appropriately is inexcusable.

We absolutely failed. We knew that the weather forecast looked good and we had 1,000,000 in Grant Park. The promotion was publicized. Our expectation was that the outfield would get hit by fans. Why we didn't have vendors is overly irritating and I completely understand your frustration. I would be upset too.

I cannot turn back time but please know that notes like this do help us get better. You can be certain that this will be discussed today. We cannot control what happens on the field but we certainly can control what happens off of it. I am sorry we failed you on something so easy to control.

As far as any sort of new policy for giveaway items, that is new news to me. I will check to see if there is something new and what the thinking was behind it. I would not be surprised if there was any sort of new policy but I will find out. Again, inexcusable. I will report back to you.

Brooks

Jerko
07-01-2013, 09:09 AM
What a joke. If the ballpark wasn't the main place I see my friends in the summer I'd eat the rest of my tickets.

Milw
07-01-2013, 09:16 AM

I feel the same exact way. I get that the service industry is tough, but part of the job is putting on a happy face. Certainly no excuse for making the customer feel unappreciated.

I've criticized Brooks in the past, but I'm heartened to see from his note to Harry Potter (An aside: The idea of Brooks writing a note to the actual Harry Potter is making me laugh.) that he's frustrated about what's going on. Ultimately, the buck stops with him, but the first step is acknowledging failure, and I think he's there, to some degree anyway.

Jerko
07-01-2013, 09:17 AM
New rule: If there's a major league baseball game being played, you open the ****ing concession stands AND have venders/ushers in the park. You know, like every other major league sports team. Now I wish about 30000 would have shown up from the parade............ :angry::angry:

Even yesterday, the concourse was packed for family day and some of the PERMANENT STANDS WERE CLOSED. Come on. This is ridiculous.

Jerko
07-01-2013, 09:20 AM
I sat through the dark days at the United Center when there were about 3 grand at the game and I basically had a section of seats to myself on the 300 level. Guess what? ALL THE STANDS WERE OPEN AND THERE WERE VENDERS AND USHERS. I'm sick of this "staffing to the projected attendance" bull****. Staff the ****ing park or hire a company that will. I can't believe that sportservice doesn't have to answer to somebody from ballpark operations. That's ridiculous.

DeadMoney
07-01-2013, 10:33 AM
I assume someone in the organization reads the board, but I also assume they realize catering to the small fraction of hard core Sox fans' opinions on the board is not good business.

I'm sorry, but this can't just be an issue the small/hardcore fraction of the fan base is noticing. If any of the fans who show up to the Cell have been to any other sporting event in this city, or anywhere else, you can't help but notice. The Sox failures in customer service are glaring, IMO.

The problem is, the casual fan showing up at the ballpark once or twice a year sees this and they just won't come back. The hardcore fans will come, but will be the loudest bitchers in the bunch. Maybe they should start listening to someone/something other than their damn surveys, because this organization - top to bottom - has become a joke.

TomBradley72
07-01-2013, 11:43 AM
I sat through the dark days at the United Center when there were about 3 grand at the game and I basically had a section of seats to myself on the 300 level. Guess what? ALL THE STANDS WERE OPEN AND THERE WERE VENDERS AND USHERS. I'm sick of this "staffing to the projected attendance" bull****. Staff the ****ing park or hire a company that will. I can't believe that sportservice doesn't have to answer to somebody from ballpark operations. That's ridiculous.

They've been doing this for years- at the old ballpark- any big spike in walk up (great weather, hot streak,etc)- and they would "choke" on the volume- because only a few ticket windows would be open.

Concession stands closing down in the 7th inning, etc.

I've visited 23 different MLB ballparks- I have NEVER experienced the b.s. that you witness at the Cell.

When I've gone to a different ballpark (usually work travel related) then visited the Cell within a week or so- the difference is "jarring".

KingXerxes
07-01-2013, 11:52 AM
I went to a Twins/Angels game in the mid 1980's on a "Hat Day" where the Twins organization was evidently stunned to see a crowd of about 40,000 show up (given there were about 5,500 the night before).

I think two vending stands were open, there were ZERO walking vendors and it was a complete disaster. My fiance (now my wife) stood in line for 5 innings to get me a beer (which was a major reason I married her).

All that being said - The Twins took out a full page ad apologizing for not being prepared for such a crowd in the next day's paper.

yazz32
07-01-2013, 11:59 AM
The new in and out policy was a mess on Sat. Seems they tried to enforce it by not letting anyone out until all the Pierce statues were given away.
Some people walked out without getting scanned too.
Maybe they changed it since people might have been doubling up on giveaways?

Did anyone notice too that the Porta Potties were missing near
the band stage near Gate 5 too?

LITTLE NELL
07-01-2013, 12:11 PM
They've been doing this for years- at the old ballpark- any big spike in walk up (great weather, hot streak,etc)- and they would "choke" on the volume- because only a few ticket windows would be open.

Concession stands closing down in the 7th inning, etc.

I've visited 23 different MLB ballparks- I have NEVER experienced the b.s. that you witness at the Cell.

When I've gone to a different ballpark (usually work travel related) then visited the Cell within a week or so- the difference is "jarring".

All part of this franchise being run like a small market team, hell you probably don't see stuff like this in the minors.

kittle42
07-01-2013, 12:55 PM
"Yea, let's take off the white sock from the road uniforms, let's get rid of dollar dog days, oh and we should change the montage at the beginning of the game. Who will notice?"

"In case you haven't noticed, and judging by the attendance you haven't..."

soxfanreggie
07-02-2013, 12:09 AM
The new in and out policy was a mess on Sat. Seems they tried to enforce it by not letting anyone out until all the Pierce statues were given away.
Some people walked out without getting scanned too.
Maybe they changed it since people might have been doubling up on giveaways?

Did anyone notice too that the Porta Potties were missing near
the band stage near Gate 5 too?

Think they pulled some porta potties for the parade route? You have to have food and bathroom for your fans. Lack those two things and you have a big problem.

cards press box
07-02-2013, 12:11 AM
Friend of mine yesterday went to get a burger at the "rotunda in the batter's eye" (aka, FAN DECK), was gone for about a half hour because they were arguing with her that it's not just a burger anymore, it's a burger basket, etc etc etc, and she came back with a pretzel from the 2003 all-star game. Thankfully I have my SC membership in case any of my friends wants real food with good service. I don't mean to be picky, but whoever shows up at that place should get their asses kissed IMO with what they're forced to watch on the field. Anyone at that first game friday deserved a medal not the bum's rush.

It is bad right now. I can only hope that the Sox are more interesting after making some deadline deals. If fans could see some progress, that would help quite a lot.

TomBradley72
07-02-2013, 09:02 AM
All part of this franchise being run like a small market team, hell you probably don't see stuff like this in the minors.

Yep- and when you watch the Hawks go from where they were (pre-Rocky) to where they are today (not only winning, but their marketing & relationship with their fans), and you watch the Angels catch and surpass an iconic franshise like the Dodgers in the So CA market- the attitude and strategy of the White Sox ("this will always be a Cubs town", etc.") is even more frustrating.

The Immigrant
07-02-2013, 09:17 AM
"In case you haven't noticed, and judging by the attendance you haven't..."

Outstanding.

doublem23
07-02-2013, 09:20 AM

:nod:

salty99
07-02-2013, 12:43 PM
Sox have cancelled Picnic in the Park and replaced it with a new event called Wild Pitches.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130626&content_id=51850054&vkey=pr_cws&c_id=cws

Mr. Jinx
07-02-2013, 05:03 PM
Sox have cancelled Picnic in the Park and replaced it with a new event called Wild Pitches.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130626&content_id=51850054&vkey=pr_cws&c_id=cws

I read that last part wrong the first time and now am significantly more disappointed upon further reading.