PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Why Us? Postgame Thread

thomas35forever
06-26-2013, 10:38 PM
Idea for the day: trade all the starting pitchers so they can get the well-deserved wins.

waldo_the_wolf
06-26-2013, 10:40 PM
You know your team's defense sucks when they make errors, allowing unearned runs to score and you no longer get mad, you actually laugh and say "of course".

nsolo
06-26-2013, 10:41 PM
Boy, that Marcum is one tough cookie. I'll bet his stats are top shelf. Hold on, I'll check...........................****, never mind.

all*star quentin
06-26-2013, 10:42 PM
Where's Captain Konerko?

Dick Allen
06-26-2013, 10:43 PM
Let's make sure we all tip our caps to that 0-9 pitcher...

I hate this ****ing team.

amsteel
06-26-2013, 10:43 PM
It's not like the defense lost the game. The offense did.

amsteel
06-26-2013, 10:44 PM
Where's Captain Konerko?

On the decline. And out with a sore back.

shingo10
06-26-2013, 10:45 PM
Nice to see Johnny Danks hitting the 90's with his fastball.

That was the only nice thing to see tonight.

All around brutal as with so many games this season.

all*star quentin
06-26-2013, 10:47 PM
On the decline. And out with a sore back.

Rumor mill has the Yankees considering him to replace Tex. :o:

Jurr
06-26-2013, 10:49 PM

Thank God.

Tragg
06-26-2013, 10:53 PM
This is where we miss AJ. He would be all over this garbage, and probably create a lot of clubhouse ruckus, infighting, which frankly, we could probably use. That's why they hated him in SF...he yakked about the garbage play.
Not much leadership on this team.

amsteel
06-26-2013, 10:55 PM

Would they like Adam Dunn too?

tstrike2000
06-26-2013, 11:02 PM
I'm starting to wonder if someone's drugging Alexei's pre-game meal.

ChiSoxGal85
06-26-2013, 11:02 PM
This is where we miss AJ. He would be all over this garbage, and probably create a lot of clubhouse ruckus, infighting, which frankly, we could probably use. That's why they hated him in SF...he yakked about the garbage play.
Not much leadership on this team.
I agree. I bet AJ's glad he didn't end up on this team.

nsolo
06-26-2013, 11:04 PM

Say it ain't so!! Who are we going to rely on lead this team if our captain hits the road?:tongue:

SoxSpeed22
06-26-2013, 11:17 PM
Congrats Conor, at least you don't have to be on the field for a while. That grim moment sets in, when fans realize that they have to watch two ****ty baseball teams, until training camp starts.

Lemon44
06-26-2013, 11:21 PM
Alexei Ramirez, this generation's Steve Sax.

Bucky F. Dent
06-26-2013, 11:41 PM
13 Es for Alexei so far.

JB98
06-27-2013, 12:45 AM
Marcum was firing 86 mph bullets. What can you do?

BainesHOF
06-27-2013, 12:52 AM
I've come to embrace the team's daily buffoonery. It's fun to tune in and laugh at them and Hawk.

I think we're in unprecedented territory as far as not one significant move being made in the first half of a titanic season. Rick Hahn has choked big-time.

JB98
06-27-2013, 12:55 AM
I've come to embrace the team's daily buffoonery. It's fun to tune in and laugh at them and Hawk.

I think we're in unprecedented territory as far as not one significant move being made in the first half of a titanic season. Rick Hahn has choked big-time.

Ehh ... maybe Hahn could have done more in the offseason. Like get a real catcher.

But I don't want any trades based upon emotion. He has to do what's best for the future of the franchise. If he does nothing before July 31, then he's a fool. I suspect he has moves in the works. Let's wait and see what they are.

DrCrawdad
06-27-2013, 01:10 AM
I'm starting to wonder if someone's drugging Alexei's pre-game meal.

13 Es for Alexei so far.

Alexei Ramirez, this generation's Steve Sax.

At least to make this fun, how about playing loudly after these errors by Ramirez an "O-LAY!" Just play wacky sound effects after the errors.

TaylorStSox
06-27-2013, 01:15 AM
Ramirez only plays well for contenders.

WhiteSox5187
06-27-2013, 01:19 AM
Alexei has played in every inning of every game so far this year and he played in 158 games last year (and the year before that as well), I wonder if that is taking a toll on him? It's really hard to try and figure out how he went from being one of the best defensive shortstops in the league in 2010, 2011 and 2012 to what we are seeing this year.

TaylorStSox
06-27-2013, 01:30 AM
Alexei has played in every inning of every game so far this year and he played in 158 games last year (and the year before that as well), I wonder if that is taking a toll on him? It's really hard to try and figure out how he went from being one of the best defensive shortstops in the league in 2010, 2011 and 2012 to what we are seeing this year.

His skills haven't diminished. I actually think he just doesn't care.

BainesHOF
06-27-2013, 01:53 AM
Ehh ... maybe Hahn could have done more in the offseason. Like get a real catcher.

But I don't want any trades based upon emotion. He has to do what's best for the future of the franchise. If he does nothing before July 31, then he's a fool. I suspect he has moves in the works. Let's wait and see what they are.

Oh, I know trades are coming. But first he should have made some kind of move in May to wake up the team and then a subsequent one to start shedding obvious lost causes such as Flowers. Additionally, a backup infielder who can play shortstop should have been acquired to rest/bench Ramirez.

TaylorStSox
06-27-2013, 01:56 AM
What difference would that make? It's a stop gap for the enevitable. We suck. We had to find out more about Flowers. We weren't going to rent a player.

slavko
06-27-2013, 02:05 AM
Alexei's last 2 run error was on a ball that came up. This one was on a ball that stayed down. What's a guy supposed to do?

They're fun bad, in a dull sort of way.

Soxman219
06-27-2013, 02:32 AM
I wish it was August already.

BainesHOF
06-27-2013, 02:35 AM
What difference would that make? It's a stop gap for the enevitable. We suck. We had to find out more about Flowers. We weren't going to rent a player.

Well, maybe the first move wakes up the team. Maybe the second move stops the nonsense behind the plate. Maybe the moves send a jolt through everyone that they better get their act together or they're next.

Flash back to '83. The Sox traded a popular player in Tony Bernazard when they were floundering. Julio Cruz arrives in return and provides a spark that leads to 99 victories.

My point is you make moves to address problems. You don't just sit back and do absolutely nothing for months. Hahn allowed this season to disintegrate in record time, talking repeatedly about career norms through his paralysis. It's his job to detect problems early before they turn into bigger ones. Anybody can sit back until things unravel completely and then become a junkyard dealer.

doublem23
06-27-2013, 04:16 AM
My point is you make moves to address problems. You don't just sit back and do absolutely nothing for months. Hahn allowed this season to disintegrate in record time, talking repeatedly about career norms through his paralysis. It's his job to detect problems early before they turn into bigger ones. Anybody can sit back until things unravel completely and then become a junkyard dealer.

Flip side to that is, of course, anybody can overreact at the first sign of trouble and cause a small problem to blossom into a major one. A GM's job is to walk that line.

LITTLE NELL
06-27-2013, 06:14 AM
I wish it was August already.

Make that September 30th, why would you want to see the same crap for 1 or 2 more months?

SCCWS
06-27-2013, 08:04 AM

They could have "rented" Phegley once they decided ( if they have reached that decision) Flowers is not a starting MLB catcher. As the trading season opens up next month, it would help to know if Phegley is a starting MLB catcher.

Bucky F. Dent
06-27-2013, 08:34 AM
Bears training camp opens on July 25.

SOXSINCE'70
06-27-2013, 09:02 AM
Congrats Conor, at least you don't have to be on the field for a while. That grim moment sets in, when fans realize that they have to watch two ****ty baseball teams, until training camp starts.

When do the Blackhawks play again?? Come back!! I need to see one Chicago sports team that understands that losing sucks. God knows the Sox don't.:angry:

The Immigrant
06-27-2013, 09:13 AM
His skills haven't diminished. I actually think he just doesn't care.

I think he's trying to tank his own trade value. I'm only half-joking.

TomBradley72
06-27-2013, 09:25 AM
When do the Blackhawks play again?? Come back!! I need to see one Chicago sports team that understands that losing sucks. God knows the Sox don't.:angry:

Fire is playing better. :cool:

Carolina Kenny
06-27-2013, 09:32 AM
I wonder how long before fans will be wearing bags on their heads.

amsteel
06-27-2013, 09:37 AM
Anyone who thinks the Sox need to spend money to 'fix' this season is wrong. Make changes, sure, but not spend money on a sunk ship.

Jurr
06-27-2013, 10:12 AM
Well, maybe the first move wakes up the team. Maybe the second move stops the nonsense behind the plate. Maybe the moves send a jolt through everyone that they better get their act together or they're next.

Flash back to '83. The Sox traded a popular player in Tony Bernazard when they were floundering. Julio Cruz arrives in return and provides a spark that leads to 99 victories.

Well stated, but this season is about finally having tangible evidence that wholesale changes need to be made.
This is a dying structure that needs to be rebuilt.

There needs to be new clubhouse leadership and an infusion of young talent across the board.

A "jolt" for this roster would have possibly inspired an 83 or 84 win season, a middling draft pick, and a delay on the inevitable destruction of the roster.

Foulke You
06-27-2013, 11:30 AM

This is definitely a solid argument you make. Like you, I wish we would have made at least one move to the starting nine by this point to change the mix. By June, I think we have a clear idea what this team is and where they are going. They make too many mental errors on the field and have the worst offense in the American League. Both of these facts prevent the team from going on any type of prolonged winning streak. However, it does take two organizations to make trades so perhaps Hahn hasn't gotten what he is looking for yet or believes that he will get better offers deeper into July.

TaylorStSox
06-27-2013, 11:42 AM
I think he's trying to tank his own trade value. I'm only half-joking.

To be clear, I was joking too.

Crestani
06-27-2013, 12:20 PM

Has it ever occured to you that maybe he has tried, but other GM's don't want any of our crap...!!! Our pitching staff is young and they have enough talent there but Hahn would be foolish at this point to part with anyone except Peavy. The regulars on the other hand, don't really have any value sans Rios...!!!

JB98
06-27-2013, 01:38 PM
Has it ever occured to you that maybe he has tried, but other GM's don't want any of our crap...!!! Our pitching staff is young and they have enough talent there but Hahn would be foolish at this point to part with anyone except Peavy. The regulars on the other hand, don't really have any value sans Rios...!!!

Yeah, that's the thing. It's hard to make an astute trade in May, especially when you're dealing from a position of weakness. You've got a roster full of guys who are going bad, many of whom are high-priced. Who the hell is going to want that? On top of that, rival GMs are gonna know that you're trying to "shake 'em up," and they'll use that as leverage against you in any deal.

I'm not saying it's impossible to make a good trade in May, but it is difficult. So, I don't blame Hahn for not pulling the trigger on an in-season trade to this point.

That said, it was a quiet offseason for the Sox. Too quiet, in fact. I would not disagree with any poster who wants to criticize Hahn for his inactivity prior to the start of this season. It's clear holes at C and 3B were not adequately addressed. That, in combination with underperformance from several veterans has caused this season to swirl down the toilet quickly.

BainesHOF
06-27-2013, 05:59 PM
Has it ever occured to you that maybe he has tried, but other GM's don't want any of our crap...!!!

What, Hahn couldn't come to an agreement with himself to send Flowers to the minors?

Does anyone on this board seriously think that Hahn's inaction would be tolerated in New York or Boston? What's happening on the South Side this season is a joke across the board.

SCCWS
06-27-2013, 06:31 PM
What, Hahn couldn't come to an agreement with himself to send Flowers to the minors?

Does anyone on this board seriously think that Hahn's inaction would be tolerated in New York or Boston? What's happening on the South Side this season is a joke across the board.

But that Morel move this week was a very shrewd move.

SBSoxFan
06-27-2013, 08:45 PM
Oh, I know trades are coming. But first he should have made some kind of move in May to wake up the team and then a subsequent one to start shedding obvious lost causes such as Flowers. Additionally, a backup infielder who can play shortstop should have been acquired to rest/bench Ramirez.

The Sox didn't trade for Cruz until June 15. At the time, their record was 28-32. At some point, LaRussa also moved Fisk to #2 in the batting order behind a guy who would finish the season with a .340 OBP and steal 77 bases. Fisk apparently thrived on seeing more fastballs. The '83 Sox also had three established starters. The 2013 Sox are pretty much missing all those pieces. There's no comparison between the two.

BainesHOF
06-28-2013, 12:26 AM
The Sox didn't trade for Cruz until June 15. At the time, their record was 28-32. At some point, LaRussa also moved Fisk to #2 in the batting order behind a guy who would finish the season with a .340 OBP and steal 77 bases. Fisk apparently thrived on seeing more fastballs. The '83 Sox also had three established starters. The 2013 Sox are pretty much missing all those pieces. There's no comparison between the two.

Uh, comparing the quality of the 2013 and 1983 teams wasn't my point. But you knew that already and mischaracterized what I wrote anyway, right? You might as well insinuate that I think Hahn should have traded for Cruz. I'll leave it up to you if he should have done it in May or June.

JB98
06-28-2013, 01:12 AM

Sure, he could have swapped Flowers for Phegley. But I fail to see how calling up a player with no MLB experience would have pulled the team out of its slide.

SCCWS
06-28-2013, 07:25 PM
Sure, he could have swapped Flowers for Phegley. But I fail to see how calling up a player with no MLB experience would have pulled the team out of its slide.

Agreed, but he still should have made the move. By the end of July, hopefully Hahn is restructuring this team. One of the positions that needs improvement is catcher. If Phegley was up now and performing well, then that gives Hahn one position he can hold off on. With so many holes, why not see if you have any internal solutions before going outside and making trades.