PDA

View Full Version : Mayor Zabrocki to Cubs: Relocate to former Tinley Park Mental Health Center

Frater Perdurabo
06-25-2013, 11:02 PM
Posted without comment...

Link (http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/697/article/p2p-76444544/)

bestkosher
06-26-2013, 09:15 AM
That is simply to far for most casual fans to go to. The Dupage option maybe a little better depending on where in DuPage. Rosemont is truly their best option since they are still realitively close and have prebuilt entertainment options close by.

VMSNS
06-26-2013, 12:04 PM
I actually grew up across the street from there (177th and Harlem). It's an enormous space of land, more than enough room for a ballpark and parking/shops/whatever.

Still, it's never going to happen. Too deep within south side White Sox territory.

Lemon44
06-26-2013, 10:32 PM
I believe the last time the Chicago National League ball-club won a championship, a sanatorium overlooked left field.

DSpivack
06-27-2013, 11:03 AM
I believe the last time the Chicago National League ball-club won a championship, a sanatorium overlooked left field.

Supposedly the origins of the phrase 'out of left field.'

Boondock Saint
06-27-2013, 11:27 AM
This whole "Move the Cubs to our city" thing has officially gotten completely out of control.

Herbal
06-27-2013, 01:28 PM
Too deep within south side White Sox territory.

Not that the Cubs will ever move, but is anyone aware of any territorial restrictions on the Chicago teams like the A's are battling?

TDog
06-27-2013, 03:08 PM
Not that the Cubs will ever move, but is anyone aware of any territorial restrictions on the Chicago teams like the A's are battling?

There are no White Sox-Cubs territorial restrictions. The Giants and A's have territorial restrictions between them because the A's granted the Giants the South Bay (San Jose) in an agreement between the two teams. The White Sox and Cubs have no such agreement. The White Sox predate radio and television. The Cubs even played home World Series games at Old Comiskey Park before America's first commercial radio broadcast.

But one of the reasons the Cubs have long been regarded the glamour team in Chicago, outside if not inside the city, is that they play in a more fashionable part of the city. This was true in relative terms even before the Cubs' neighborhood was particularly fashionable. The Cubs moving out of the city would be a longshot. The Cubs moving south of the White Sox would be inconceivable.

SOX ADDICT '73
06-27-2013, 11:43 PM
What better way for the Cubs to distance themselves from their curse-ridden past than to build a new ballpark on the site of an abandoned mental health facility?

I grew up in Tinley Park, even taking swimming lessons in the TPMHC's pool, and I still live close by, in Orland Hills. In fact, I drive past the deserted place every day on my way to work. I wouldn't want the Cubs there (not that there's a chance in hell of them ever killing the golden goose by leaving Wrigley Field), but it would be really cool to see some kind of sports facility built on that property. Maybe another minor league baseball park, like beautiful Silver Cross Field in Joliet. Mayor Zabrocki makes a good point about the close proximity to I-80 and the Metra station...

SoxFanCPA
06-28-2013, 08:01 AM
How is Zabrocki still the mayor of Tinley? I don't even get the point of these comments by him.

doublem23
06-29-2013, 03:12 AM
This whole "Move the Cubs to our city" thing has officially gotten completely out of control.

It really is, but hey, I guess it gets your name out there, so what are you doing to do? It worked, I don't think I've ever heard of Tinley Park before. Now I know they exist. Good for them.

FireMariotti
07-01-2013, 01:32 AM
It really is, but hey, I guess it gets your name out there, so what are you doing to do? It worked, I don't think I've ever heard of Tinley Park before. Now I know they exist. Good for them.

Oh, really? (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=116613&highlight=Tinley+park)

C-Dawg
07-01-2013, 07:15 AM
Isn't there a closed-down trash incinerating place in the south suburbs? Posen? Robbins? Harvey? That might be a good place for the Cubs.

How about Dolton's stillborn water park and convention center/hotel/entertainment complex at 142nd & Ridgeland. Its still a vacant lot. It was supposed to be the pet project of the same guy who promised the redevelopment of Dixie Square Mall but bungled the rehabilitation by demolishing the one part of it that was supposed to stay. He's in prison now I think, but for other reasons.

Man, Cub fans would be besides themselves with worry if they ever had to travel that far south!

cards press box
07-01-2013, 08:15 AM
I just cannot imagine that the Ricketts family bought the Cubs to move them to Rosemont, Du Page County or anywhere other than Clark and Addison.