PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 6-25 Walkoff wearing clown shoes; SOX 5 METS 4 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
06-25-2013, 10:08 PM
We've won three of our last four.

Boondock Saint
We've won three of our last four.

Dynasty.

vinny
The new winning ugly. Beckham owes Sale and Reed a steak dinner.

doublem23
06-25-2013, 10:09 PM
As bad as the Sox are, man, at least we don't have LaTroy Hawkins

:rolling:

voodoochile
06-25-2013, 10:10 PM
As bad as the Sox are, man, at least we don't have LaTroy Hawkins

:rolling:

Beckham made up for his error by being sure Latroy fielded that bunt...

SoxSpeed22
06-25-2013, 10:12 PM
Glad we won. That is all.

BainesHOF
06-25-2013, 10:14 PM
Worst fielding team in franchise history? What a bunch of jackasses. It's daily buffoonery.

I don't care how much Hawk blows Beckham. Beckham is not the smartest tool in the shed. That was one of the worst errors of this comedy-filled season. Sale should punch him.

How does every single person in that dugout keep his job?

BleacherBandit
06-25-2013, 10:17 PM
Worst fielding team in franchise history? What a bunch of jackasses. It's daily buffoonery.

I don't care how much Hawk blows Beckham. Beckham is not the smartest tool in the shed. That was one of the worst errors of this comedy-filled season. Sale should punch him.

Today's gaffe was on account of Beckham, everyone's defensive golden child.

voodoochile
06-25-2013, 10:20 PM
Beckham just wanted to knock the Robin getting punked by Nolan Ryan video off the top of most watch Sox videos on Youtube.

Somone really needs to create a cyclical gif of him diving over the mound to tackle Gillaspie...

ChiSoxGal85
06-25-2013, 10:21 PM
Glad they got the win, but sheesh, that goofup was awful.

After a bumpy first inning, Sale pitches yet another great game - yet doesn't get the win. That's really gotta suck.

Soxman219
06-25-2013, 10:22 PM
Am I the only one who was kinda mad the Sox were jumping around like that after the win? The top of the 9th was a joke.

voodoochile
06-25-2013, 10:24 PM
Ask and I shall receive...

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2840555/derpsox_medium.gif

thomas35forever
06-25-2013, 10:25 PM
Just wanted to add to Hawkins' career loss total.

ChiSoxGal85
06-25-2013, 10:28 PM
Mark Gonzales ‏@MDGonzales (https://twitter.com/MDGonzales) 47s (https://twitter.com/MDGonzales/status/349730471007105024)
Beckham: "I'm an idiot.''
Details (https://twitter.com/MDGonzales/status/349730471007105024)

Can't really argue.

doublem23
06-25-2013, 10:30 PM

If there was ever a GIF that needed a soundtrack...

ZnHmskwqCCQ

waldo_the_wolf
06-25-2013, 10:32 PM
I'm surprised the collision didn't give Gillaspie a year-ending injury like when Ozzie Guillen ran into Tim Raines. That would have seemed so perfect this year.

tstrike2000
06-25-2013, 10:32 PM
At least Beckham didn't break Gillaspie's leg on that botched pop up\tackle.

waldo_the_wolf
06-25-2013, 10:36 PM
Also, glad that Alexei gets to somewhat redeem himself for Sunday.

fisk4ever
06-25-2013, 10:40 PM
I understand Hawk's dismay at the screwup, but couldn't he at least describe what the play was along with his "you've got to be bleeping me" stuff? Just a little bit of play-by-play, then the disgust? Listening to him is almost as bad as watching the Sox.

WisSoxFan
06-25-2013, 10:44 PM

I don't mean to be flip but I lost a friend to a car accident today and this gif made me giggle. Thanks.

TaylorStSox
06-25-2013, 10:57 PM
I've watched that gif about 25 times and I'm still in tears! What in the hell was he thinking? The best part is that he runs into 2 different players!

XplodingScorbord
06-25-2013, 11:09 PM
I don't mean to be flip but I lost a friend to a car accident today and this gif made me giggle. Thanks.

Wow, sorry for your loss. Glad tonight's Benny Hill show could ease your pain. Sincerely sorry.

WhiteSox5187
06-25-2013, 11:26 PM
I've watched that gif about 25 times and I'm still in tears! What in the hell was he thinking? The best part is that he runs into 2 different players!

I suspect that he saw the ball go up in the air and just started running after it until someone called him off. I don't think he ever took his eyes off of the ball and didn't see or hear Connor calling for it.

shingo10
06-25-2013, 11:40 PM
I think its obvious that since Beckham has come back he has been pushing too hard defensively trying to make up for everyone else's mistakes and trying too hard to be perfect.

Errors are going to happen but Beckham has been outstanding as a defender save for these last 3 weeks or so. I'm not too concerned as I think he will slow himself down and get back to being good.

That was the only time in all of my years of watching the Sox that I actually laughed out loud when they blew the lead in the 9th instead of being pissed. As the GIF shows that play is so bad on every level that it is just comedic.

Good to see our offense put together some nice AB's against a guy we've never seen before. Maybe a big homestand can put us 5 or 6 back of the division lead...can dream right?

chisoxjtrain
06-25-2013, 11:57 PM
Just saw this on Deadspin:

http://deadspin.com/white-sox-blow-lead-in-ninth-hawk-harrelson-goes-silen-581680853

slavko
06-26-2013, 12:01 AM
I think its obvious that since Beckham has come back he has been pushing too hard defensively trying to make up for everyone else's mistakes and trying too hard to be perfect.

Lipstick on a pig. And mind reading. Mr. Excuses never runs out of them.

My feelings? He's caught up in whatever everybody else is caught up in.

Ah, poo, an amusing 9th since I haven't seen Hawkins do what he does best in a while. Good game, good game.

RCWHITESOX
06-26-2013, 12:06 AM

Agreed but I could not believe my eyes when Ventura had Flowers swinging away. And sure enough he would have hit into a double play if it wasn't for the pitcher being late covering first base. If he does not have the skills to sacrifice the runners over then he should have been pinch hit for. They won this game in spite of their selves. Please do not trade Sale.

voodoochile
06-26-2013, 12:15 AM

Sorry for your loss. That sucks, but yes the gif is hilarious...

JB98
06-26-2013, 12:56 AM
It would be a lot easier to say, "Well, at least they won," and laugh it off if crap like this wasn't happening on such a regular basis.

Just look at the last three games. Saturday, Rios and De Aza turned a routine fly to right-center into a triple and made Crain's job harder than it needed to be. Sunday, Ramirez pissed the game away by missing a routine grounder to SS. Then tonight, you've got Beckham making a jackass out of himself and allowing the tying run to score in the ninth inning.

The misplay didn't ultimately cost the Sox the game tonight, but this team has paid dearly throughout the season with this kind of garbage. Their position in the standings proves it. It's embarrassing for a professional team to take the field every day and play like this.

cards press box
06-26-2013, 01:15 AM
Worst fielding team in franchise history?

After the great defensive year the Sox had in 2012, this poor fielding in 2013 with essentially the same personnel is absolutely stunning. I am at a loss to explain it.

The two major changes defensively are Gillaspie for Youkilis and Flowers for Pierzynski. Gillaspie is at least equal if not better than Youkilis at 3B, particularly with the injuries that Youkilis has had the last couple of years. I think that AJ is better than Flowers but, for crying out loud, is Flowers so bad defensively as to drag down the entire Sox defense? That seems far fetched.

Jurr
06-26-2013, 05:12 AM
It would be a lot easier to say, "Well, at least they won," and laugh it off if crap like this wasn't happening on such a regular basis.

Just look at the last three games. Saturday, Rios and De Aza turned a routine fly to right-center into a triple and made Crain's job harder than it needed to be. Sunday, Ramirez pissed the game away by missing a routine grounder to SS. Then tonight, you've got Beckham making a jackass out of himself and allowing the tying run to score in the ninth inning.

The misplay didn't ultimately cost the Sox the game tonight, but this team has paid dearly throughout the season with this kind of garbage. Their position in the standings proves it. It's embarrassing for a professional team to take the field every day and play like this.
Maybe they need a change of scenery- all of them.

LITTLE NELL
06-26-2013, 06:37 AM

http://deadspin.com/white-sox-blow-lead-in-ninth-hawk-harrelson-goes-silen-581680853

This is stuff the 1919 Black Sox did in the WS.

WisSoxFan
06-26-2013, 06:46 AM

It's even funnier st full speed. That looks like my 8-year olds pee wee game. And thanks. Rough day.

October26
06-26-2013, 06:58 AM
Glad they got the win, but sheesh, that goofup was awful.

After a bumpy first inning, Sale pitches yet another great game - yet doesn't get the win. That's really gotta suck.

Mark Gonzales ‏@MDGonzales (https://twitter.com/MDGonzales) 47s (https://twitter.com/MDGonzales/status/349730471007105024)
Beckham: "I'm an idiot.''
Details (https://twitter.com/MDGonzales/status/349730471007105024)

Can't really argue.

Agree on all counts.

The look on Robin's face when they showed him in the dugout said it all. I feel bad for Robin because he did not come here to manage this bad Sox team.

WTH was Gordon thinking?

I am annoyed that Gordon's stupidity cost Chris Sale a win.

Kudos to Alexei for getting the game-winning hit.

Chez
06-26-2013, 07:13 AM
Agreed but I could not believe my eyes when Ventura had Flowers swinging away. And sure enough he would have hit into a double play if it wasn't for the pitcher being late covering first base. If he does not have the skills to sacrifice the runners over then he should have been pinch hit for. They won this game in spite of their selves. Please do not trade Sale.

Agree completely. And to make matters worse, one batter earlier Robin had one of his hotest hitters (Beckham) bunt TO GET TO FLOWERS!! So if Hawkins had not muffed the bunt, the Sox would have had one out and a runner on second with Flowers up. Yea!

Mr. Jinx
06-26-2013, 07:39 AM
What exactly was Reed doing on that play? He's just as much at fault for just standing on the mound like a tee ball kid watching the ball in the sky. He has to take responsibility to yell at Beckham to stop if he can't hear Connor.

TaylorStSox
06-26-2013, 07:41 AM

Errors are going to happen but Beckham has been outstanding as a defender save for these last 3 weeks or so. I'm not too concerned as I think he will slow himself down and get back to being good.

That was the only time in all of my years of watching the Sox that I actually laughed out loud when they blew the lead in the 9th instead of being pissed. As the GIF shows that play is so bad on every level that it is just comedic.

Good to see our offense put together some nice AB's against a guy we've never seen before. Maybe a big homestand can put us 5 or 6 back of the division lead...can dream right?

LOL! Everyone else has been called lazy and stupid because of poor defense, but Beckham is trying too hard? Good Lord. I've never seen so many people make excuses for a bad player. It's just amazing.

TomBradley72
06-26-2013, 07:49 AM
Ventura owns this mess- he should be embarrassed that the team he's managed for 2 seasons plays baseball like this-

No excuses- poor fundamentals and mental mistakes- the manager owns that.

Railsplitter
06-26-2013, 07:51 AM
:bandance::bandance:

Carolina Kenny
06-26-2013, 08:02 AM
Ventura owns this mess- he should be embarrassed that the team he's managed for 2 seasons plays baseball like this-

When you have such a beloved figure as Robin Ventura as the Manager, he gets a pass. However, ever since the the late season meltdown of last year, this both Robin and this team have been a disaster.

For this reason is why I hate it that Robin is our Manager. The stink of this team is tarnishing his Sox legacy.

Robin, is one of my all time Sox favorites. That being said, the team has steadily regressed. The fundemental mistakes they make are getting worse. Robin's decision making also seems to be regressing.

Something, something has to be changed. With great regreat I say:

FIRE ROBIN VENTURA

beasly213
06-26-2013, 08:16 AM

Man.. I didn't see the game so I didn't get to hear the call from Hawk, but wow. I'm a fan of Hawk but that was brutal. Especially the end you have got to be KIDDING me!

SCCWS
06-26-2013, 08:35 AM
What exactly was Reed doing on that play? He's just as much at fault for just standing on the mound like a tee ball kid watching the ball in the sky. He has to take responsibility to yell at Beckham to stop if he can't hear Connor.

I agree. Anyone who has been an infielder knows that it is very easy to lose track of where you are when chasing a popup. It happens a lot w the catcher and 1st and 3rd baseman chasing foul pops. The pitcher is supposed to call off one player when 2 players each are making the call.

TomBradley72
06-26-2013, 08:58 AM
When you have such a beloved figure as Robin Ventura as the Manager, he gets a pass. However, ever since the the late season meltdown of last year, this both Robin and this team have been a disaster.

For this reason is why I hate it that Robin is our Manager. The stink of this team is tarnishing his Sox legacy.

Robin, is one of my all time Sox favorites. That being said, the team has steadily regressed. The fundemental mistakes they make are getting worse. Robin's decision making also seems to be regressing.

Something, something has to be changed. With great regreat I say:

FIRE ROBIN VENTURA

I agree- he's probably my all time favorite White Sox- but he's at a crossroads- so many players regressing and they just seem to play in a "fog"- he needs to show the ability to shake them up and get them back on track- that's what managers do. From last September -> now- not a good baseball team-

BainesHOF
06-26-2013, 09:40 AM
A team is a reflection of its manager.

shingo10
06-26-2013, 10:18 AM
LOL! Everyone else has been called lazy and stupid because of poor defense, but Beckham is trying too hard? Good Lord. I've never seen so many people make excuses for a bad player. It's just amazing.

Beckham's track record is much better than Rios, De Aza, Ramirez, ect. He wasn't making boneheaded plays until he came back off the DL.

He's not a bad player either. Average maybe, but definitely not bad.

doublem23
06-26-2013, 10:22 AM
Beckham's track record is much better than Rios, De Aza, Ramirez, ect. He wasn't making boneheaded plays until he came back off the DL.

De Aza for sure, Ramirez.. well, all right, but Rios?

Brewski
06-26-2013, 10:44 AM

So you're saying that Beckham didn't make any bonehead plays when he was on the DL. OK, I'm with you on that one.

(The guy's got a horseshoe where he needs it all right, but don't tell Shingo)

Noneck
06-26-2013, 10:48 AM

Yes Beckham is the future currently of this club, offensively and defensively. So awfully sad.

harwar
06-26-2013, 11:15 AM
Yea, i laughed out loud at Beckham's folly and i'm in pain pretty much all the time .. it was just so slapstick .. i think that Gordon's shown that he has a fairly high baseball IQ over the years .. i think last night shows you just how bad things might be in the clubhouse with so many loses piling up .. he wasn't thinking at all obviously .. he was acting like a guy under tremendous pressure who was thinking that he has to do everything himself .. i've been in that situation and things tend to spiral down quickly..

WhiffleBall
06-26-2013, 11:34 AM

Shortly after the play Steve Stone said that Reed was supposed to act as traffic cop in that situation.

asindc
06-26-2013, 11:42 AM

I don't read it as an excuse. It's not inconsistent to say a player was being stupid and was trying too hard on the same play.

shingo10
06-26-2013, 11:51 AM

I meant defensively but I guess since Rios has been moved to right he has been much improved although like everyone else on the team he has had his share of moments this year.

But yeah offensively he has been miles ahead of Beckham.

shingo10
06-26-2013, 11:55 AM
So you're saying that Beckham didn't make any bonehead plays when he was on the DL. OK, I'm with you on that one.

(The guy's got a horseshoe where he needs it all right, but don't tell Shingo)

1) Its pretty obvious that I meant he wasn't making stupid plays before he went on the DL.

2) I have no idea what your last comment means.

Tragg
06-26-2013, 12:01 PM

As well as his own mental mistakes.

A football team makes penalties, misses tackles, turns the ball over, runs the wrong route, etc.....that's on the coach.

TaylorStSox
06-26-2013, 12:03 PM
Have you guys not seen Beckham run the bases? He's been making bone headed plays for years. Yes, by any measure, he's been a bad player. Rios, Ramirez and even ADA have been far better players with the Sox, despite numerous struggles.

TheVulture
06-26-2013, 12:08 PM
Today's gaffe was on account of Beckham, everyone's defensive golden child.

I disagree. Beckham did exactly what he should have done which is go after the ball until someone called it. Reed just stared up into the sky like an idiot instead of directing the infielders as required.

TaylorStSox
06-26-2013, 12:12 PM
I disagree. Beckham did exactly what he should have done which is go after the ball until someone called it. Reed just stared up into the sky like an idiot instead of directing the infielders as required.

Reed should have called him off, but a second baseman has no business trying to play a ball in front of the mound on the 3rd base side. That's just a bad player trying to do too much. Beckham said it was stupid. DJ blasted him. Hell, even Hawk was pissed and he's the biggest Beckham excuse maker on the planet.

TheVulture
06-26-2013, 12:13 PM

Exactly what I was wondering. I don't watch all the games, but I don't recall ever thinking about Rios "what the hell is he doing?"

TheVulture
06-26-2013, 12:14 PM
Reed should have called him off, but a second baseman has no business trying to play a ball in front of the mound on the 3rd base side. That's just a bad player trying to do too much. Beckham said it was stupid. DJ blasted him. Hell, even Hawk was pissed and he's the biggest Beckham excuse maker on the planet.

Well, I give Beckham kudos for taking the blame, but if you're going to blame a player for stupidity it has to be Reed.

TheVulture
06-26-2013, 12:17 PM
Yes, by any measure, he's been a bad player.

By any measure? He's still one of best second basemen with the glove, I don't care what you think about this play.

TaylorStSox
06-26-2013, 12:29 PM
By any measure? He's still one of best second basemen with the glove, I don't care what you think about this play.

He really isn't. This is just smoke n mirrors from Beckham apologists. He does one thing exceptionally well, and that's turn the double play. Otherwise, he has no range.

Do Smoak and Salty have a bunch of apologists too? I really don't know. They should start a band called Failed Prospects. DLS on vocals.

Reed probably never thought to call him off because it was a routine play. His reaction when Beckham trips over him is priceless. "What the hell are you doing here?"

Paulwny
06-26-2013, 12:34 PM

Well, I give Beckham kudos for taking the blame, but if you're going to blame a player for stupidity it has to be Reed.

Agree with Taylor. Reed sees Gillaspie under the ball, Flowers has backed off, Reed has his back to Beckham, no one on the field , in the stands or watching on tv expected a 2nd baseman to come tearing in to catch the ball. Beckham was the stupid one in this case.

Mr. Jinx
06-26-2013, 12:34 PM

Yeah, he just stood there staring up into the sky the entire time, not making any effort to either get out of the way, direct traffic, or even catch it (which would be wrong but at least he would be doing something). Complete deer in the headlights look.

#1swisher
06-26-2013, 01:06 PM
Video:
Ventura says it's miscommunication.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=28353181&topic_id=27334974&c_id=cws

Jerko
06-26-2013, 01:22 PM
Come on Ventura I learned this my first day in Wallace Softball League Jr All-Stars. How about common sense? The guy running slowly on the FLAT GROUND has a better chance of catching the ball than a guy hauling ass over a mound of dirt! And yes Reed you have to say something too. I'm just glad Gordo didn't take somebody out there.

TheVulture
06-26-2013, 01:32 PM
Reed probably never thought to call him off because it was a routine play.

The routine for a pop up in the middle of the infield is for the pitcher to get out of the way and direct the infielders. If he never thought to call him off because it was a routine play that only substantiates my side of the argument.

Paulwny
06-26-2013, 01:40 PM
The routine for a pop up in the middle of the infield is for the pitcher to get out of the way and direct the infielders. If he never thought to call him off because it was a routine play that only substantiates my side of the argument.

Did you or anyone here expect to see Beckham come tearing in to try and catch this ball?

TDog
06-26-2013, 02:12 PM

The 1977 team was much worse defensively, and the 1970 team was worse defensively, despite being strong up the middle having gold glover at short and center, a former gold glover at second and Ed Herrmann doing most of the catching. This was not unlike a 1977 game, where the White Sox did something inexplicable to lose the lead in the ninth and came back to win it in the bottom of the inning. This year's team has some good defensive players making key mistakes. I don't know what has happened to Ramirez. And they have a shot at giving up as many unearned runs as the 1977 team, although the flies to right that landed 10 feet behind Zisk who seemed to be camped under them before they went for hits. Seriously, complain about the incompetence of 2013 White Sox baseball, but it doesn't approach how bad things were in the '70s, even in one of the two good years.

Overshadowed by the screw-up in the ninth, was how well the Sox played the rest of the game. They beat a hot prospect pitcher they had never seen before -- the very sort of pitcher we always hear they can never beat. Wheeler didn't get the loss he deserved, and if the bullpen hadn't kept the Sox from scoring the runner on third with less than two outs, Reed would have picked up his save. Reed's blown save holds a bit of justice, though considering he deserved a blown save in Seattle. And, really, Reed could have done a better job of directing traffic

Sale twice allowed the Mets to take the lead, getting off to a slow start in the first and giving up a home run later, but both times the Sox answered. They took the lead with good fundamental baseball, scoring two runs after getting just one hit, the leadoff single. The pitcher put runners at second and third, and the Sox scored them both with fundamental productive outs.

The Sox have been better lately at doing the fundamental things on offense they need to do to score runs.. If the defense was playing the way it's capable of playing, this team would be more reminiscent of a 1960s team than a 1970s team. But the way things worked out, Beckham screwing up the infield fly gave Sunday's goat a chance to be Tuesday's hero.

SouthSideMike
06-26-2013, 04:08 PM
Hawk wasn't the only one to lose it. I heard the call on the radio, and it was pretty amusing as well. Farmer made a quick expression of disgust and then didn't say much, but DJ went off for at least a couple minutes, saying that they weren't even watching major league baseball anymore. Pretty damn funny.

And he called in after on Rongey's postgame show and started ranting again.

I don't like either of them that much, but it must be painful to have to cover such pathetic play on a daily basis knowing we still have months of this to go, so I kind of feel bad for TV and radio guys in that respect.

No job is fun when the work is bad and unenjoyable.

Foulke You
06-26-2013, 06:06 PM
Hawk wasn't the only one to lose it. I heard the call on the radio, and it was pretty amusing as well. Farmer made a quick expression of disgust and then didn't say much, but DJ went off for at least a couple minutes, saying that they weren't even watching major league baseball anymore. Pretty damn funny.

And he called in after on Rongey's postgame show and started ranting again.

I don't like either of them that much, but it must be painful to have to cover such pathetic play on a daily basis knowing we still have months of this to go, so I kind of feel bad for TV and radio guys in that respect.

No job is fun when the work is bad and unenjoyable.
That play in the 9th last night and Alexei's muffed grounder in the 8th in KC is deserving of any and all ridicule our broadcasters can dish out.

TheVulture
06-26-2013, 06:32 PM
Did you or anyone here expect to see Beckham come tearing in to try and catch this ball?

No not really.

TheVulture
06-26-2013, 06:36 PM
Seriously, complain about the incompetence of 2013 White Sox baseball, but it doesn't approach how bad things were in the '70s, even in one of the two good years.

From my perspective that may or not may not be the case as I didn't see those teams, but for me this definitely in the running for the worst Sox team I've ever seen and the first Sox I remember was '81 or '82. Not sure, but they were still wearing Navy and Harold was the man as far as I was concerned.