PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 6-22 Exorcising more KC demons; SOX 3 KC 2 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
06-22-2013, 04:16 PM
Enjoyable win

thomas35forever
06-22-2013, 04:17 PM
And Reed finally adds to his save total again.

LITTLE NELL
06-22-2013, 04:19 PM
A winning streak.
What happens if we roll off 10 in a row, do we keep this cast of characters?

October26
06-22-2013, 04:29 PM
Quintana good, Lindstrom good, Crain good, Reed good, and Sox offense was just good enough today.

Kudos to Jesse Crain for pitching out of a jam in the 8th after Rios dropped that ball.

Back to back Sox wins in KC? I'll take it! :bandance:

Keep on winning, White Sox! :bliss:

RCWHITESOX
06-22-2013, 04:31 PM
A winning streak.
What happens if we roll off 10 in a row, do we keep this cast of characters?

Nellie I know your talking with your heart; but in your mind you know we don't have a snowballs chance in hell of winning with this team. I wish like you we did; but if this team finishes 500 it would be quiet a accomplishment. The Sox need help in CF, LF ,and catcher now!!!

harwar
06-22-2013, 04:32 PM
Winning feels a bit strange after losing so much .. the last couple of games have been so easy to watch .. now i want more of the same..

LITTLE NELL
06-22-2013, 04:37 PM
Nellie I know your talking with your heart; but in your mind you know we don't have a snowballs chance in hell of winning with this team. I wish like you we did; but if this team finishes 500 it would be quiet a accomplishment. The Sox need help in CF, LF ,and catcher now!!!

I know but I remember the 76 team which won 64 games pulling off 10 in a row at one point.

RCWHITESOX
06-22-2013, 04:58 PM
I know but I remember the 76 team which won 64 games pulling off 10 in a row at one point.

Just like I said Nellie you are thinking with your heart. That team had a real catcher in Downing a CF in Lemon and still ended up in last place with 97 loses. If this team stays as is they will probably finish with around the same record. Let's go way back and hope they have more of the 59 team in them. One that could field run and play fundamental baseball.

amsteel
06-22-2013, 05:07 PM
After years of mediocre Sox teams losing to bad KC teams it's nice to return the favor.

slavko
06-22-2013, 05:20 PM
Just like I said Nellie you are thinking with your heart. That team had a real catcher in Downing a CF in Lemon and still ended up in last place with 97 loses. If this team stays as is they will probably finish with around the same record. Let's go way back and hope they have more of the 59 team in them. One that could field run and play fundamental baseball.

And if they don't stay "as is" they will wind up with a worse record because tradeable players will be traded. Oh, poo, it was a nice game to watch and I did because I love baseball and the Sox.

ChiSoxGal85
06-22-2013, 05:32 PM
quintana good, lindstrom good, crain good, reed good, and sox offense was just good enough today.

Kudos to jesse crain for pitching out of a jam in the 8th after rios dropped that ball.

Back to back sox wins in kc? I'll take it! :bandance:

Keep on winning, white sox! :bliss:
+1!

tebman
06-22-2013, 05:33 PM
No PTC winner yet, but we're so stunned by two in a row that we've forgotten how this works. The Totally Biased Game Recap (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=4&id=4427) is here nonetheless, describing a rare victory.

:gulp:

TDog
06-22-2013, 05:37 PM

Calling Downing a real catcher is a bit of a stretch. He wasn't that much better than Flowers defensively, at least in those early years with the White Sox. He started behind the plate in less than half the Sox games, though, and Jim Essian was pretty good defensively, and wasn't much worse than Downing offensive. Chet Lemon was very good too. He needed to be as bad as the Sox pitching was.

Most of the best teams in White Sox history lacked hitting, though. Today's win was a good fundamental win, the sort of win that good White Sox teams tended to convert. If the Sox had taken advantage of similar available opportunities early in the season, this would be a different season. Good things can happen when you don't strike out with runners on first and second and nobody out. Good things can happen when you don't strike out with a runner at third and less than two out. The White Sox only got one hit in the ninth when they took the lead, and that was Viciedo's leadoff single.

The Royals not scoring their one-out triple the previous half-inning cost them the game. Another way to look at it would be Crain preventing the Royals from scoring their one-out triple the previous half-inning set the stage for the Sox to win the game by manufacturing a run. In the stats sheet, Beckham's pinch-hitting appearance looks like a failure, but advancing the runner to third with a fly out where the run could score on another fly out was huge.

Moses_Scurry
06-22-2013, 08:36 PM
NOW they beat the Royals! Could've used that last year fellas!

BainesHOF
06-22-2013, 09:45 PM
These past two victories change nothing.

Great to see Crain continue his streak in spite of the De Aza-Rios debacle.

When Danks pinch-ran in a tie game I expected him to get picked off. He almost did. The guy isn't too bright.

Quintana is a keeper.

I hope Keppinger keeps hitting so we can dump him as soon as possible.

Railsplitter
06-22-2013, 09:59 PM
:bandance::bandance:
Still room for improvement.

Golden Sox
06-22-2013, 10:40 PM
Little Nell: I remember when that 1976 team won 10 games in a row.That team was much worse than the 2013 White Sox team. If that 1976 team won 10 games in a row, anything is possible. Looking back at that 2nd Bill Veeck era (1976-1980) 4 of his teams were worse than the 2013 White Sox. The only good team he had was the 1977 White Sox. There weren't too many tears shed when Veeck sold the team after the 1980 season. His teams were so bad here that I couldn't believe it a few years later when Veeck was voted into the MLB Hall Of Fame.

Brewski
06-22-2013, 11:58 PM
These past two victories change nothing.

Great to see Crain continue his streak in spite of the De Aza-Rios debacle.

When Danks pinch-ran in a tie game I expected him to get picked off. He almost did. The guy isn't too bright.

Quintana is a keeper.

I hope Keppinger keeps hitting so we can dump him as soon as possible.

All points right on. Danks almost got rung up twice. He's straight line fast but not quick.

LITTLE NELL
06-23-2013, 06:27 AM
Little Nell: I remember when that 1976 team won 10 games in a row.That team was much worse than the 2013 White Sox team. If that 1976 team won 10 games in a row, anything is possible. Looking back at that 2nd Bill Veeck era (1976-1980) 4 of his teams were worse than the 2013 White Sox. The only good team he had was the 1977 White Sox. There weren't too many tears shed when Veeck sold the team after the 1980 season. His teams were so bad here that I couldn't believe it a few years later when Veeck was voted into the MLB Hall Of Fame.

That was the point of my post that any team can run off 10 in a row and what I was saying is what if they did run off 10 in a row, would it say to front office that we don't need to blow it up. I say some changes are needed but not a complete blow up. I don't want to touch the pitching staff. I say get whatever we can for guys like Alexei, Viciedo, Flowers and DeAza. Dunn is another story, who would want him, we might have to eat the last year of his contract. Next go into the free agent market starting with a replacement for PK as I think he retires at the end of the season. Next we have to pick up some free agents for other spots and hope our scouts do the job on who would help us and doesn't turn out to be another Dunn.
As far as Veeck goes, I was never a fan of his in 2 stints as a White Sox owner, he traded away some great talent for aging vets after the 59 World Series. I will always be grateful to him for saving the Sox from moving in late 1975 to Seattle but he came in with just enough money to buy the team and 2 years later free agency did him in. Let me add that the first 4 months of 1977 was the most fun time ever for me in my 60+ years of following the team.

Jurr
06-23-2013, 07:28 AM
This team winning ten in a row once the pressure is off would be a real test to Rick Hahn's intelligence. A large sample size has dictated that this team is mentally week, fundamentally unsound, and full of declining players.

We know what Kenny Williams would have done. He would have found a few more prospects to jettison for some random veteran, only to watch his mediocre ball club fall apart once games mattered again.

Good teams just have that "feel" about them. You kind of know it early. You DO NOT see a team 10 games under at the halfway point turn on a switch and become contenders.

This team has won 2 in a row. Even the Astros are capable of that (as we well know). Blow it up, and SOON.

TomBradley72
06-23-2013, 10:34 AM
Every team wins 60, loses 60- then the other 42 make the difference.

Yesterday was one of the "every team wins 60"- we tried to give it away with De Aza ****ing up a fly ball to right center and turning it into a triple, and Danks almost helped the Royals by getting picked off AGAIN in the late innings.

Even when we win- it's not really inspiring or great baseball-

So much dead weight/AAAA players on this roster (Wise, Wells, Jordan Danks, Flowers, De Aza, Omogrosso, Troncoso)-

JB98
06-23-2013, 11:13 AM
Every team wins 60, loses 60- then the other 42 make the difference.

Yesterday was one of the "every team wins 60"- we tried to give it away with De Aza ****ing up a fly ball to right center and turning it into a triple, and Danks almost helped the Royals by getting picked off AGAIN in the late innings.

Even when we win- it's not really inspiring or great baseball-

So much dead weight/AAAA players on this roster (Wise, Wells, Jordan Danks, Flowers, De Aza, Omogrosso, Troncoso)-

I'm reluctant to say De Aza belongs on that list. He's second on the team in RBIs, and he's among the best in the American League as far as hitting with RISP. So, that part's been good. The defense and baserunning have been poor, and his strikeout totals are ridiculous.

I don't know what to think of De Aza this year, but I do think he does more good things for the team than the other stiffs on that list.

kufram
06-23-2013, 11:22 AM
I'm not a stat freak and I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure there have been teams in contention for a division title after being 10 games out halfway through a season.

I agree completely about what KW would have done and I'll be glad not to see that old chestnut making the call this year.

It's not impossible that after losing so many for so long that a couple of wins give a team some confidence and some more winning occurs. It's not like we've played well and lost. We've played very badly. Things can change. Now, no need for name calling or sarcasm here.... I'm not saying we will contend. I'm just saying things CAN get better. For example, I'm not sure that PK has had the last hot streak in his career.

Whatever the case I see no reason on this Earth NOT to just enjoy a win or two when we've endured so many losses.

LITTLE NELL
06-23-2013, 12:13 PM
I'm not a stat freak and I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure there have been teams in contention for a division title after being 10 games out halfway through a season.

I agree completely about what KW would have done and I'll be glad not to see that old chestnut making the call this year.

It's not impossible that after losing so many for so long that a couple of wins give a team some confidence and some more winning occurs. It's not like we've played well and lost. We've played very badly. Things can change. Now, no need for name calling or sarcasm here.... I'm not saying we will contend. I'm just saying things CAN get better. For example, I'm not sure that PK has had the last hot streak in his career.

Whatever the case I see no reason on this Earth NOT to just enjoy a win or two when we've endured so many losses.

1951 NY Giants were 13 games behind the Brooklyn Dodgers in mid August and wound up in a tie for the NL pennant. Giants went on to win the playoff game with the famous Bobby Thompson "Shot heard around the world" home run.

Tragg
06-23-2013, 01:16 PM
I'm reluctant to say De Aza belongs on that list. He's second on the team in RBIs, and he's among the best in the American League as far as hitting with RISP. So, that part's been good. The defense and baserunning have been poor, and his strikeout totals are ridiculous.

I don't know what to think of De Aza this year, but I do think he does more good things for the team than the other stiffs on that list.
I don't understand his poor play at all. His OBP is way down this year as well. Last year he gave us great work at lead-off.

The "awfulness" of the bottom of the roster is a big contributor to the weakness of this team. The Sox were pretty lazy with the bench last offseason (they helped themselves with the late trade for Gillespie), but the lack of just serviceable players from the AAA team is troubling.