PDA

View Full Version : Adios, El Caballo

doublem23
06-21-2013, 03:21 PM
Though he hasn't played this year yet, Carlos Lee made it official today that he is indeed retired

http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news/story?id=1831678&s=bei&type=story

DSpivack
06-21-2013, 03:26 PM
My fondest memory of him involves a crosstown game, Rooney and Farmer on the radio, and hitting my head on the basement ceiling and getting a bad headache when that game ended.

RKMeibalane
06-21-2013, 03:28 PM
My fondest memory of Carlos involves his being pulled from a game because he was starting at women in the LF bleachers.

#1swisher
FOX Sports: MLB
After 14 seasons with CWS, MIL, TEX, HOU and MIA, Carlos Lee has officially announced his retirement at the age of 37.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BNNDauGCQAAMnvw.jpg

doublem23
My fondest memory of him involves a crosstown game, Rooney and Farmer on the radio, and hitting my head on the basement ceiling and getting a bad headache when that game ended.

Remember when those games used to really mean something? I was working at Jewel when that happened, we had the game on in the back room, and half the store staff went nuts and the other half were pissed.

:cool:

Probably still to this day one of the most exciting non-2005 White Sox homers I can remember.

thomas35forever
06-21-2013, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the memories, El Caballo. You made the scoreboard go off like few others.

doublem23
06-21-2013, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the memories, El Caballo. You made the scoreboard go off like few others.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/leaders_bat.shtml

Foulke You
06-21-2013, 06:05 PM
I loved Carlos Lee. He wasn't the most heads up player nor was he much for defense but man could he mash the ball. He hit a ton of big RBIs for the Sox in his career. I attended his debut game in 1999 and he hit a HR off Tom Candiotti in his first ever MLB AB. I remember I went to that game with my Dad and he asked me if this "Lee guy" was supposed to be any good. I told him that all I knew about him was that he was hitting a lot of HRs in the minors. No sooner did the words escape my lips, we heard the crack of the bat and outta the park it went.:cool:

My other favorite Carlos Lee HR was the one others mentioned where he walked off the Cubs with a grand slam on an 0-2 pitch. That was the loudest I've ever heard our ballpark for a non-playoff game.

Huisj
06-21-2013, 09:50 PM
My favorite Carlos Lee memory was the gave tying homer he hit off Mariano Rivera in leading off the 9th in a game in the June of 2000 when the Sox were on fire. It was a week after the 7-day 7-win road trip to Cleveland and New York. I had a closing shift at my summer job, and in the car on the way home I heard that the Sox had just given up 2 runs to fall behind by a run.

I got home in time to turn it on on WGN to see Lee mash a rocket HR to left on the first pitch of the inning. I jumped and pumped my fist and woke up my dad from upstairs, and he came down expecting to complain to me to keep it down, but then realized what had just happened and stuck around to watch the end.

They continued on to win by manufacturing a run on a single (Herbert Perry), a sacrifice bunt (Brooke Fordyce), and groundout to move the runner to 3rd (Ray Durham), and a broken bat looper over the infield by Jose Valentin that I later had vivid flashbacks to when Luis Gonzalez got basically the same hit off a Rivera cutter to end the 2001 World Series. Heck of time to get home from work in the middle of a heck of a fun stretch in a fun season.

Brian26
06-21-2013, 10:21 PM
I loved that 2000 team.

Not sure why, but my memory of CLee will be when his uniform got stuck on the scoreboard at the base of the Green Monster in 2004.

DSpivack
06-21-2013, 10:23 PM
I loved that 2000 team.

Not sure why, but my memory of CLee will be when his uniform got stuck on the scoreboard at the base of the Green Monster in 2004.

That was the first season I started going to a bunch of games, I was in the middle of HS and went to that Opening Night with a number of friends. That night was electric.

Brian26
06-21-2013, 10:35 PM
Imagine the 2013 Sox trying to show a fraction of the fire and passion that those young guys did against Detroit in that fight. That was an easy team to root for.

DSpivack
06-21-2013, 11:26 PM
Imagine the 2013 Sox trying to show a fraction of the fire and passion that those young guys did against Detroit in that fight. That was an easy team to root for.

If only that team had this pitching staff. It's amazing to me, with the benefit of hindsight, that they won 95 games with that no-name staff.

TaylorStSox
06-22-2013, 10:20 AM
I loved that 2000 team.

They were fun to watch. They had some great hitters, but my God, the pitching and fielding were bad.

Carlos Lee retiring makes me feel old. He was as frustrating a player as you'll ever see, but he could rake.

Chez
06-22-2013, 10:25 AM
One of Hawk's best nicknames. I believe Carlos has a brother also named Carlos Lee.

doublem23
06-22-2013, 10:40 AM
One of Hawk's best nicknames. I believe Carlos has a brother also named Carlos Lee.

He does, the younger Carlos Lee also played baseball professionally in the Sox's minor league system for 4-5 seasons, I believe

Irishsox1
06-23-2013, 12:07 AM
Now that guy was a Cub killer. In 79 games at Wrigley in his career, he hit 24 home runs, 61 RBI's and batted .293

I hated to see him go, but they got 2 big pieces for the 2005 World Series run for him. It's odd but after the 2004 season, the Sox lost Magglio and traded Carlos and then won the world series.

WLL1855
06-23-2013, 12:13 AM
Now that guy was a Cub killer. In 79 games at Wrigley in his career, he hit 24 home runs, 61 RBI's and batted .293

I hated to see him go, but they got 2 big pieces for the 2005 World Series run for him. It's odd but after the 2004 season, the Sox lost Magglio and traded Carlos and then won the world series.

Gotta agree here. The guy could rake. Especially against the cubs.

DonnieDarko
06-23-2013, 08:57 AM
Wow. I remember when I was really young and he was really young (well, in his 20s anyway). Time sure flies. Thanks for the memories, Carlos Lee. May life treat you well from here on out.

You know that you're starting to get old when guys you remember coming up through the system are retiring. :(

Bobby Thigpen
06-23-2013, 10:04 AM
I like Carlos, but he was easily the poster boy for the softball era White Sox. He could hit and not really do anything else. How he never ended up a DH anywhere is beyond me.

Mohoney
06-23-2013, 12:50 PM
I like Carlos, but he was easily the poster boy for the softball era White Sox. He could hit and not really do anything else. How he never ended up a DH anywhere is beyond me.

He made $19 million a season from 2009-2011 and $18.5 million in 2012. That contract wasn't going anywhere.

ComiskeyBrewer
06-24-2013, 02:06 AM
He made $19 million a season from 2009-2011 and $18.5 million in 2012. That contract wasn't going anywhere.

Yup. I STILL can't believe the Astros signed him to a 6 year, $100 million deal at age 31.

infohawk
06-24-2013, 12:02 PM
My favorite Carlos Lee memory was the gave tying homer he hit off Mariano Rivera in leading off the 9th in a game in the June of 2000 when the Sox were on fire. It was a week after the 7-day 7-win road trip to Cleveland and New York. I had a closing shift at my summer job, and in the car on the way home I heard that the Sox had just given up 2 runs to fall behind by a run.

I got home in time to turn it on on WGN to see Lee mash a rocket HR to left on the first pitch of the inning. I jumped and pumped my fist and woke up my dad from upstairs, and he came down expecting to complain to me to keep it down, but then realized what had just happened and stuck around to watch the end.

They continued on to win by manufacturing a run on a single (Herbert Perry), a sacrifice bunt (Brooke Fordyce), and groundout to move the runner to 3rd (Ray Durham), and a broken bat looper over the infield by Jose Valentin that I later had vivid flashbacks to when Luis Gonzalez got basically the same hit off a Rivera cutter to end the 2001 World Series. Heck of time to get home from work in the middle of a heck of a fun stretch in a fun season.

I was AT that game. When Rivera came in I figured that the game was over. Surprise! It's too bad that the core of that year's team ended up so frustratingly inconsistent over the next few years. With that much power and offensive potential, they only managed one division title. I thought at the time that they had created a powerhouse line-up that would dominate the division like Cleveland did in the late 90s. If only they had a 5th starter and could manage to beat the Twins (or even the terrible Tigers team in 2003!).

infohawk
06-24-2013, 12:04 PM
I loved that Ozzie quote about Carlos Lee "sliding into second base like his wife was turning the double play." LOL! Classic Ozzie. That was in 2004. In 2005, Carlos was playing for the Brewers.

russ99
06-24-2013, 12:06 PM
Yup. I STILL can't believe the Astros signed him to a 6 year, $100 million deal at age 31.

He earned that with them for at least the first 4 and a half years of the deal, and then they flipped him before the deadline last year for good defensive 3B, Matt Dominguez.

IMO, it was a good signing overall. Better than letting the Cubs sign him...

TheVulture
06-24-2013, 06:54 PM
Obviously, we would all kill to have a bat like Carlos's in today's lineup. Man, we had a lot of good hitters ten years ago.

HomeFish
06-24-2013, 10:25 PM
From 2003-2007, I took up residence in Section 159 at US Cellular Field. Of all the left fielders I saw, Carlos Lee was the most fun to have in front of you.

I was sad to see him go, but the trade to Milwaukee was critical for the World Series championship.

Bobby Thigpen
06-25-2013, 09:21 PM
Obviously, we would all kill to have a bat like Carlos's in today's lineup. Man, we had a lot of good hitters ten years ago.
There were a lot of "good hitters" running around baseball ten years ago.

ComiskeyBrewer
06-27-2013, 04:37 AM
He earned that with them for at least the first 4 and a half years of the deal, and then they flipped him before the deadline last year for good defensive 3B, Matt Dominguez.

IMO, it was a good signing overall. Better than letting the Cubs sign him...

I wouldn't go that far. The first 3 years were good, but he never had an OPS above .800 after his 3rd season with the Astros, he only hit more than 30 HRs once in the entire contract and that's playing half his games with a short porch in left. The guy was a defensive sieve and should have been playing DH after leaving Milwaukee.

For comparison, his last 3 full years were worse(or basically the same) than Adam Dunn has been thru the first half of this year. Would you be OK with Adam Dunn's current production for the next 3 years if he was making 4 million more than he is right now? A player hitting 24 HRs and hitting .246 shouldn't be making $19 Million. Had it been a 4 year deal, it's probably not that bad. But 6 years was insane for an NL club.