PDA

View Full Version : Time to ditch interleague play?

Whitesox029
06-17-2013, 12:16 PM
Personally, this is the way I feel. It isn't 1997 anymore. No one needs or wants to see the Sox play the Mets unless it's late October. The novelty is completely gone. And it took the novelty of the All-Star Game and in some ways the World Series with it when it left. I was thinking about how particularly interesting and suspenseful the Stanley Cup Final is this year because the Hawks and Bruins never met during the season and had no common opponents, so it was almost impossible to predict, and it occurred to me that the World Series used to have this quality every year. Maybe you keep the Crosstown games, maybe you don't. But it'll be a long, long time before Sox Park is sold out to see a matchup with, say, the Padres. Want even leagues? Goodbye Marlins, Goodbye Rays. Florida doesn't deserve baseball.

Boondock Saint
06-17-2013, 12:42 PM
Absolutely not.

Whitesox029
06-17-2013, 01:18 PM
Absolutely not.
Any particular reason? I honestly can't think of a single good thing about it in 2013 aside from the crosstown-type games.

Boondock Saint
06-17-2013, 01:26 PM
Any particular reason? I honestly can't think of a single good thing about it in 2013 aside from the crosstown-type games.

Because, as a fan of baseball, I want to watch my team play against all of the best players in the game regardless of whether we're in the WS or not. I'd be pissed as a fan of baseball if I never get to see, say, Clayton Kershaw pitching against the Sox because they aren't both in the WS.

eriqjaffe
06-17-2013, 01:42 PM
With the AL & NL each having 15 teams now, the only way to ditch interleague play would be to have a team in each league idle for 3 or 4 days at all times during the season.

Also, with the way the Sox are hitting this year, what's the difference between seeing Clayton Kershaw or Lucas Harrell pitch against them?

Jerko
06-17-2013, 01:46 PM
Personally, this is the way I feel. It isn't 1997 anymore. No one needs or wants to see the Sox play the Mets unless it's late October. The novelty is completely gone. And it took the novelty of the All-Star Game and in some ways the World Series with it when it left. I was thinking about how particularly interesting and suspenseful the Stanley Cup Final is this year because the Hawks and Bruins never met during the season and had no common opponents, so it was almost impossible to predict, and it occurred to me that the World Series used to have this quality every year. Maybe you keep the Crosstown games, maybe you don't. But it'll be a long, long time before Sox Park is sold out to see a matchup with, say, the Padres. Want even leagues? Goodbye Marlins, Goodbye Rays. Florida doesn't deserve baseball.

Shhh don't give Bettman any ideas.

JB98
06-17-2013, 02:34 PM
I've wanted it gone for years, but that will never happen. It creates inequities in the schedule that make it more trouble than it's worth, IMO.

Moses_Scurry
06-17-2013, 02:47 PM
I'd like it to go away, but I've accepted that it never will. Having it doesn't hinder my enjoyment in any way.

RKMeibalane
06-17-2013, 03:24 PM
I wouldn't mind if it became a recurring thing like the Olympics and was used every two or three years, with teams playing only their league in between.

TaylorStSox
06-17-2013, 03:25 PM
I never wanted it.

white sox bill
06-17-2013, 03:33 PM
No but I would do the cross town series every other yr

DumpJerry
06-17-2013, 03:43 PM
I was thinking about how particularly interesting and suspenseful the Stanley Cup Final is this year because the Hawks and Bruins never met during the season and had no common opponents, so it was almost impossible to predict
Do you recall the Lockout? This is why this year, unlike a normal year, there was no interconference games. Had this been a full season, there might have been one or two Hawks/Buins games (I don't have the original schedule to look up), not to mention common opponents.

Tragg
06-17-2013, 04:07 PM
What bothers me more than interleague play is the lack of intra-league play outside of your own division. interleague is partially the cause, but also adding more intradivisional games was a poor idea.

WLL1855
06-17-2013, 05:40 PM
Yes, I want it to go away. Would be nice for the broadcast blackout rules to go away as well. I'm not sure either one will in my lifetime.

shingo10
06-17-2013, 05:48 PM
Yes, I want it to go away. Would be nice for the broadcast blackout rules to go away as well. I'm not sure either one will in my lifetime.

Yes, yes, yes. That is the single most annoying thing about MLB in my opinion. Since I've moved out west there are still times when I can't watch a Sox game on MLB.tv because I'm "in the broadcast zone." What a crock.

Anyway, back to the topic, I have mixed feelings because I sure do get tired of seeing the Sox play the Indians, Royals, Twins, and Tigers so it is nice when we go to different ballparks and have oddball matchups with teams.

Chez
06-17-2013, 05:58 PM
I like interleague play and hope MLB keeps it. Besides, with an odd number of teams in each league, it can't be ditched.

Frater Perdurabo
06-17-2013, 06:19 PM
I don't have strong feelings either way.

I feel much more strongly that the NL needs to adopt the DH.

Noneck
06-17-2013, 06:35 PM
Put Milwaukee in a division in the A.L. with the Sox and I dont care what the schedule looks like. (Yea I do like Miller Park and going up there to watch Sox games)

HomeFish
06-17-2013, 08:29 PM
I'm with the guy who complained about the unbalanced schedules. For every matchup like BOS/NYY or LAD/SF, there are a half dozen matchups that are complete snoozefests. Interleague at least shakes things up, and the new format does indeed move away from the "natural rival" series that everybody seems to have grown tired of.

cards press box
06-18-2013, 12:50 AM
I would love to see interleague play go far, far away. That would mean getting rid of a couple of teams, sending Houston back to the NL or perhaps sending Milwaukee back to the AL. I would be OK with the Brewers in the AL once again.

Madvora
06-18-2013, 07:51 AM
My preference would be to get rid of the two leagues. I don't like it that teams that compete for the same thing playing totally different schedules.

Irishsox1
06-18-2013, 11:18 AM
Money wise, it's good. Getting the Yankees to cities like St. Louis, Cincinnati and Los Angeles (not Anaheim) and the Cardinals and Cubs to cities like Seattle, Kansas City, Dallas are good for the fans and good for the owners.

As for tradition, interleague play has blurred it but as long as the AL has the DH, the fans will be treated to a uniqueness of having different rules within that sport based on the location of the game for the World Series. Some people don't like it, but I do.

Hitmen77
06-18-2013, 12:31 PM
What bothers me more than interleague play is the lack of intra-league play outside of your own division. interleague is partially the cause, but also adding more intradivisional games was a poor idea.

I like interleague play and I don't want it to go away. But, I agree that I don't like how the intra-league games outside the division has been greatly reduced. I could do without the 18 games a year each vs. the Indians, Royals, Twins and Tigers as a way to get more games vs. the AL East and West.

Regardless of what people think about interleague play, it's here to stay. There is no way in hell MLB will ever get rid of it. What's more likely is that they'll get rid of the AL and NL altogether - which I think would be terrible.

TDog
06-18-2013, 01:33 PM
I would rather see the White Sox play the Giants than the A's. I really hate the A's. They play in a crappy, unfriendly ballpark with the most abusive fans in baseball. I should write a letter to A's management telling them why I will never go back after this season. But I digress.

Disband two teams, perhaps the A's and Marlins. Or maybe the A's and the Twins and move a National League team to the American League, and you can ditch interleague play. The only way it wouldn't supremely anger Brewers fans to put Milwaukee back in the American League is if the AL got rid of the DH. You have to realign the leagues unless you want to give a team in each league three or four days off at a time six or seven times a year.

Moving the Astros to the American League assures that MLB won't drop interleague play.

russ99
06-18-2013, 01:55 PM
Another of Bud's many failed ideas.

It's fun every once in a while, but this year with the Sox/Cubs series being all on weekdays, and interleague all year between teams nobody wants to see play each other, it seems much worse.

Moving the Astros to the American League assures that MLB won't drop interleague play.

That's easy, move the Astros back to the NL where they belong, where their fans want to be, and where they would be had Bud not twisted their arms and gangstered them in to AL as a condition of the club sale. Not to mention his conflict of interest with prime league-switching candidate, Milwaukee.

Mr. Jinx
06-18-2013, 02:42 PM
I wish they would expand it so that we play every team every year like the NBA (and NHL now? I'm not sure if they finally did that yet?). I don't understand how anyone enjoys watching us play Cleveland, Minnesota, KC, and Detroit pretty much every other week as opposed to seeing the rest of the league.

And for fans in towns outside of Chicago, New York, and LAAAAA, it would be nice to actually have a chance to see any team in the league in person at least every other year at your home town park.

Mr. Jinx
06-18-2013, 02:44 PM
Another of Bud's many failed ideas.

It's fun every once in a while, but this year with the Sox/Cubs series being all on weekdays, and interleague all year between teams nobody wants to see play each other, it seems much worse.

Ignoring the obvious hatred for Bud there, the Sox/Cubs games are still much more popular than a random ass Monday game against the Royals. The draw as well if not better than regular weekday games at a wildly inflated price point.

TheVulture
06-18-2013, 04:42 PM
I've wanted it gone for years, but that will never happen. It creates inequities in the schedule that make it more trouble than it's worth, IMO.

The real inequities are in the scheduling of the intra-league games. Nineteen games against your own division compared to six against the other divisions? Makes the WC and seeding a joke.

getonbckthr
06-18-2013, 05:35 PM
Maybe its just me but it appears attendance overall is down. MLB has to do something to fix it. Eliminating inter-league play completely is a mistake. I would rather they go this route:

-NL adopt DH (league needs universal rules plus pitcher safety in regards to contracts)
-Add 2 teams
-Have 2 8-team divisions in each league based on geography (ex AL-1: Sox, Cubs, Brewers, Twins, Cards, Royals, Reds, Indians)
-Scheduling- You play the other divisions equilavent from previous season 6 times (all the last place teams, all the 1st place etc etc) you play the other division's teams in your league 3 times, the rest are against your division. RIVALRIES BUILD INTEREST AND MONEY not to mention having such close traveling as often will increase attendance due to visiting fans.

RKMeibalane
06-18-2013, 06:00 PM
-Add 2 teams

I wish I had that image doublem23 uses. It'd be so perfect here.

Edit: Nevermind. I found it.

http://media.tumblr.com/a2b00fadba844f9890efdab45508ee71/tumblr_inline_mkhaceM4bg1qz4rgp.gif

getonbckthr
06-18-2013, 06:27 PM
I wish I had that image doublem23 uses. It'd be so perfect here.

Edit: Nevermind. I found it.

http://media.tumblr.com/a2b00fadba844f9890efdab45508ee71/tumblr_inline_mkhaceM4bg1qz4rgp.gif

I went for the add 2 to have division balance. Sure I could've said remove 2 but that will never happen.

DSpivack
06-18-2013, 07:20 PM
Maybe its just me but it appears attendance overall is down. MLB has to do something to fix it. Eliminating inter-league play completely is a mistake. I would rather they go this route:

-NL adopt DH (league needs universal rules plus pitcher safety in regards to contracts)
-Add 2 teams
-Have 2 8-team divisions in each league based on geography (ex AL-1: Sox, Cubs, Brewers, Twins, Cards, Royals, Reds, Indians)
-Scheduling- You play the other divisions equilavent from previous season 6 times (all the last place teams, all the 1st place etc etc) you play the other division's teams in your league 3 times, the rest are against your division. RIVALRIES BUILD INTEREST AND MONEY not to mention having such close traveling as often will increase attendance due to visiting fans.

I don't want to see any expansion teams and I don't think the market is currently out there for them. I also would like to see the historical leagues stay in place as separate conferences. Besides that, I love this idea.

Railsplitter
06-18-2013, 09:17 PM
Never liked it.

SoxFanCPA
06-18-2013, 11:22 PM
And the Bulls should never play the Lakers, and the Hawks should never play the Penguins, and the Bears should never play the Colts. :rolleyes:

It'd be stupid to NOT have interleague play.

ComiskeyBrewer
06-19-2013, 12:21 AM
Put Milwaukee in a division in the A.L. with the Sox and I dont care what the schedule looks like. (Yea I do like Miller Park and going up there to watch Sox games)

Most Brewer fans prefer the NL style of play and the rivalries that have finally started to bud with the Cardinals and Cubs. Besides this is the longest stretch of the same divisional opponents the brewers have played since they were in the AL East in the 70s and 80s. Most Brewer fans under the age of 25 don't remember the AL days.

kittle42
06-19-2013, 09:44 AM
I must admit, I have noticed absolutely no difference this season, and no longer care whether interleague play exists or not. It's good enough for every other sport.

Whitesox029
06-19-2013, 11:03 AM
Do you recall the Lockout? This is why this year, unlike a normal year, there was no interconference games. Had this been a full season, there might have been one or two Hawks/Buins games (I don't have the original schedule to look up), not to mention common opponents.
I am well aware of the reason why the Hawks and Bruins didn't play each other this year. I spent October through January basically checking NHL.com hourly to see if a deal had been reached. I was commenting on one of the side effects.
With the AL & NL each having 15 teams now, the only way to ditch interleague play would be to have a team in each league idle for 3 or 4 days at all times during the season.

Obviously, that isn't an option, which is why I also suggested eliminating the Rays and Marlins. Too bad the Rays are so well-run; that will make them harder to get rid of. In fact, I believe the only reason the Marlins are still around is that there hasn't been a logical partner for them to go out with since the Twins started to become relevant again in about 2001. I do think the Rays will end up moving though. Crappy stadium, hardly any fans, etc.
And the Bulls should never play the Lakers, and the Hawks should never play the Penguins, and the Bears should never play the Colts. :rolleyes:

It'd be stupid to NOT have interleague play.
I dunno, it worked pretty well for about 97 years. And no one said any of the other sports should do it. Baseball is not football, basketball, or hockey.

Hitmen77
06-19-2013, 11:11 AM
Most Brewer fans prefer the NL style of play and the rivalries that have finally started to bud with the Cardinals and Cubs. Besides this is the longest stretch of the same divisional opponents the brewers have played since they were in the AL East in the 70s and 80s. Most Brewer fans under the age of 25 don't remember the AL days.

It's too bad that MLB never gave a Twins-Brewers-White Sox-Tigers rivalry a chance to form. The Brewers and Sox shared the same division for only a few short seasons from 1994-97 and these 4 teams have never been in the same division. This alignment could have liked to see an baseball version of the NFC North plus Cleveland.

I think the "NL style of play" preference is overrated and will eventually go away because I think the DH will eventually be adopted league-wide.

But, yeah, there's no way in hell that the Brewers would want to move back to the AL at this point. They're better off with the big-fanbase Cubs and Cardinals as their rivals.

The White Sox are one team that has gotten the short end of the stick in the division era. They were stuck in the AL West for years with teams like distant Oakland and Kansas City as their rivals. While not being able to form a rivalry with Detroit or Milwaukee. At least Minnesota has always been in the same division with us. When the Sox moved to the AL Central, at first Detroit remained in the East and then they only came over when Milwaukee left.

Things may have been better for the Sox if Kansas City didn't refuse the first offer to move to the NL in 1998.

SoxFanCPA
06-19-2013, 11:18 AM
I dunno, it worked pretty well for about 97 years. And no one said any of the other sports should do it. Baseball is not football, basketball, or hockey.

Pretty well, but not nearly as well as interleague has worked. The fans never having access to watch half of the teams in the league is flat out dumb. There is no argument the other direction. And to be honest, they need more of it. I'm so tired of playing KC 18 times.