PDA

View Full Version : Reinsdorf's All Star Ticket Bounce

34 Inch Stick
08-02-2002, 05:58 PM
With the All Star game at Comiskey next year, the White Sox can expect an increase in season ticket package purchases (for special All Star purchasing priveleges). Yet it looks like the payroll for next year will decrease significantly. Didn't Kenny say that if attendence increased so would payroll. I guess I am being optimistic in thinking that means that we will be a major player in free agency/trades in the off season.

Foulke You
08-02-2002, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
With the All Star game at Comiskey next year, the White Sox can expect an increase in season ticket package purchases (for special All Star purchasing priveleges). Yet it looks like the payroll for next year will decrease significantly. Didn't Kenny say that if attendence increased so would payroll. I guess I am being optimistic in thinking that means that we will be a major player in free agency/trades in the off season.

I believe that is wishful thinking my friend. Reinsdorf will just be pleased that his profit margins will increase next year with more attendance and less payroll.

nut_stock
08-02-2002, 11:52 PM
One thing is almost certain. That plan by the Sox to chop off the last few rows of the Upper Deck and install a flat roof will not happen until after the AS game. Wouldn't want to lose out on those extra tickets sold.

Lip Man 1
08-03-2002, 12:18 AM
Two points if I may....

In regards to the upper deck. Phase III of the renovation (which includes the upper deck and renovating right field to have an "old" Comiskey Park upper deck style) will NEVER get done until a company in the Chicago area is willing to buy park naming rights. Based on the failure of the Sox to sell this in the past three years it's highly unlikely this will take place (especially as long as Reinsdorf owns the team)

Second, a historical point. After the 1996 season and after the Sox signed Albert Belle, Reinsdorf sent letters to all his season ticket holders stating that he was raising parking and ticket prices so that "the Sox will have added revenue available to add players during the stretch run..." Less then six months after sending these letters out, he authorized the White Flag/Surrender deal. It's no wonder Sox fans don't trust him. To this day neither he nor anyone in the Sox organization has ever answered the question, "what happened to all that additional money that was SUPPOSED to go towards acquiring players..."

Lip

mrwag
08-03-2002, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Reinsdorf sent letters to all his season ticket holders stating that he was raising parking and ticket prices so that "the Sox will have added revenue available to add players during the stretch run..." Less then six months after sending these letters out, he authorized the White Flag/Surrender deal.
Lip

... and ticket prices have been on the increase since then. Isn't it funny that we had winning ball clubs, and bleacher seats and upper deck reserved were 8 bucks?