PDA

View Full Version : *Official* One Foggy Winning Evening Postgame Thread

thomas35forever
06-10-2013, 11:52 PM
Glad to see another has problems like we do.

all*star quentin
06-10-2013, 11:53 PM
Bats are hot! :bandance:

MUsoxfan
06-10-2013, 11:54 PM
This is a strange ****ing team

voodoochile
06-10-2013, 11:54 PM
Heck of a night for Mr. Dunn. He's been heating up again recently. He put 55 points on his OPS tonight. :o: and finally cracked .700 for the year... :o: :o: :bandance:

:soxwin:

voodoochile
06-10-2013, 11:56 PM
This is a strange ****ing team

Yes it is...

Back out of the celler by percentage points. Twinkies now looking up at us. The whole division is still withing 7 games of Detroit who is the only team over .500. It' not just this team that is strange the whole ALC seems to be searching for an identity...

shingo10
06-10-2013, 11:58 PM
Is this the first time we've scored double digits this year?! :gulp:

Strange, strange game. Beckham's baserunning gaffe was embarrassing but luckily not harmful.

Great night by Dunn. While all of this negative talk about him is going on he is quietly putting up some good HR/RBI totals...

3 in a row. Gotta start somewhere.

GlassSox
They have been in a fog all year so I guess they were ready for tonight. Nice to see all the runs tonight.

Lip Man 1
It only took 62 games played to crack double figures in runs for a single game.

Yikes.

Lip

voodoochile
06-11-2013, 12:00 AM

Yikes.

Lip

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/mlb/players/full/4808.png&w=350&h=254
"Yeah, well I figured it was time to get my OPS over .700."

DSpivack
06-11-2013, 12:08 AM

Yikes.

Lip

Speaking of double digits, this was just the 10th time the Sox have scored over 5 runs in a game.

CoopaLoop
06-11-2013, 12:22 AM
That'll raise the old average

Team Wins Runs per win
A's 38 8.68
Tigers 35 7.14
Indians 30 6.97
Red Sox 39 6.90
Blue Jays 27 6.89
Rays 34 6.38
Rangers 37 6.19
Astros 22 6.09
Twins 27 6.04
Angels 27 6.04
Orioles 35 6.03
Royals 28 5.75
Yankees 37 5.49
Mariners 27 5.18
White Sox 27 4.30
Average 31 6.29

TDog
06-11-2013, 12:58 AM
Is this the first time we've scored double digits this year?! :gulp:...

I don't know if that means anything. The Sox scored 15 runs on opening day in 2011 and never as many again.

It's nice to see the Sox get to Dickey who shut them down in Toronto. Some days knuckleballers simply don't have it. But I think, too, the lineup is more dangerous than it's been for most of the year. The Sox trailed twice in this game. A very nice night for Dunn, of course.

I don't know if the long delay affected Axelrod at all, but he couldn't get it done after the delay and couldn't make it through five A good job by the bullpen tonight, pitching out of trouble when they needed to. And a nice inning from Reed, although it was a a non-save situation.

socko82
06-11-2013, 06:32 AM
Back out of the celler by percentage points. Twinkies now looking up at us. The whole division is still withing 7 games of Detroit who is the only team over .500. It' not just this team that is strange the whole ALC seems to be searching for an identity...

Every team in the Central except the Tigers has already had at least an 8 game losing streak.

cards press box
06-11-2013, 06:33 AM
It was a strange night at the ballpark. All I kept thinking was this -- was it cold and foggy (albeit not quite as foggy) all the time for Giant fans at Candlestick?

Putting all that aside,

:winner

Frater Perdurabo
06-11-2013, 06:46 AM
Who found Adam Dunn's appendix?

Zakath
06-11-2013, 07:14 AM
It's nice to see the Sox get to Dickey who shut them down in Toronto. Some days knuckleballers simply don't have it. But I think, too, the lineup is more dangerous than it's been for most of the year. The Sox trailed twice in this game. A very nice night for Dunn, of course.

They probably couldn't see well enough to know that the damn thing wasn't spinning, so in the fog, it just looked like a slowball. :dunno:

Chez
06-11-2013, 07:28 AM
Adam Dunn is going to be the first player untainted by PED allegations/evidence to reach 500 career HR's and not make it into the HOF. We are witnessing history!

Boondock Saint
06-11-2013, 07:54 AM
Adam Dunn is going to be the first player untainted by PED allegations/evidence to reach 500 career HR's and not make it into the HOF.

I'd never thought about that. I think he's got an outside shot at the hall. It's not likely, but he was one of the game's best power hitters for the better part of a decade.

Railsplitter
06-11-2013, 07:55 AM
Ahh, love the fog.
:bandance::bandance::bandance:

Chez
06-11-2013, 08:07 AM
I'd never thought about that. I think he's got an outside shot at the hall. It's not likely, but he was one of the game's best power hitters for the better part of a decade.

Agreed; but so was Dave Kingman. Not gonna happen.

ChiSoxGal85
06-11-2013, 08:46 AM
That was a pretty cool game to be at in person, both literally and figuratively. When we were driving in, we saw the fog hanging over the downtown area, but I never thought it would make its way down to the Cell. We were mostly underdressed for how cool and damp it got when the fog rolled in, as when we left the 'burbs, it was very warm and humid. But we stayed for the full game, including the fog delay. During the delay, we wandered over to the Chicago Sports Depot, where I found a Pierzynski tshirt at on clearance for $10. That made me happy - my son lost his several years ago and now he has it again.

The tribute to Buehrle was great, and I saw plenty of Buehrle shirts in the crowd (including mine under my Sale jersey).

Not one of Axelrod's better starts, and he seemed to not be sharp at all after the fog delay. I thought Beckham's base running brain fart was a sign that it was going to be one of "those" games. Thank heavens for Adam Dunn (haven't had a chance to say *that* very often), and the rest of the Sox offense rising to the occasion. Fireworks in the fog is fun! <-- that would be my TBGR headline. :D: I really don't know how the outfielders could see the ball in the last 2 innings.

Alexei's play in the 8th to get that last out was stellar. Speaking of defense - thanks to the Jays defense for those 3 extra runs in the 8th. We then got a chance to see if Reed could pitch in a non-save situation - and he did great.

Question: what the heck is with the large number of Toronto fans? There was a big vocal group behind the visitor's dugout (of course), but also several other groups scattered throughout the park.

Got out of the game after midnight, but flew home (almost no traffic), riding high on a 3-game winning streak. A great evening at the Cell!

Hitmen77
06-11-2013, 08:50 AM
This was the first fog delay for the White Sox in 17 years according to Tom Skilling.

It was interesting to flip the channels yesterday and see foggy games on both sides of town.

TDog
06-11-2013, 09:22 AM
This was the first fog delay for the White Sox in 17 years according to Tom Skilling.

It was interesting to flip the channels yesterday and see foggy games on both sides of town.

I was at a Monday night game in the old park at the end of May in 1976 where there were intermittent fog delays, but nothing as long as last night's delay. The Rangers were helped by the fog in scoring two in the top of the first off of Pete Vukovich, but the Sox came back to score three in the bottom of the inning. Bucky Dent, the No. 3 hitter in Paul Richards' lineup, looked like he was going to tie the game off of Nelson Briles with a drive to the wall in left that no one could see until Tom Grieve leaped and pulled it down. Then with the bases loaded and two outs, Chet Lemon hit a pop up to short left center that no one could see. That went for a triple. After that, the intermittent delays started. It was a fun game to attend.

Carolina Kenny
06-11-2013, 09:24 AM
Courtesy of Lou Reed:

Well I got a foggy notion,
Do it again
Over by the corner,
Do it again
I got my calamine lotion baby,
Do it again
I got a foggy notion,
Do it again

Lip Man 1
06-11-2013, 09:30 AM
How about Foggy Mountain Breakdown?

The fog reminded me of the game agaist the Rangers in either 76 or 77. What was really weird was the fog seemed to clear up when Texas was hitting and rolled back in when the Sox were.

The umps let the game go on and Texas simply couldn't see anytime the Sox hit the ball.

Lip

harwar
06-11-2013, 09:39 AM
Dunn doing his best Mickey Mantle impression again .. i don't care what his numbers are, i sure miss number 56 .. also,fog always creeps me out after a near collision off of cape hatteras one night, but it was a fun game to watch .. i suppose that it's always fun when we win..

Mr. Jinx
06-11-2013, 10:20 AM
Question: what the heck is with the large number of Toronto fans? There was a big vocal group behind the visitor's dugout (of course), but also several other groups scattered throughout the park.

Toronto has a population of over 5 million people and is only a 2 hour flight away. I would expect to see just as many Toronto fans coming as from any other large city.

doublem23
06-11-2013, 10:24 AM
Toronto has a population of over 5 million people and is only a 2 hour flight away. I would expect to see just as many Toronto fans coming as from any other large city.

I'm more surprised to see any of them care about baseball

Dan H
06-11-2013, 10:30 AM
I was at a Monday night game in the old park at the end of May in 1976 where there were intermittent fog delays, but nothing as long as last night's delay. The Rangers were helped by the fog in scoring two in the top of the first off of Pete Vukovich, but the Sox came back to score three in the bottom of the inning. Bucky Dent, the No. 3 hitter in Paul Richards' lineup, looked like he was going to tie the game off of Nelson Briles with a drive to the wall in left that no one could see until Tom Grieve leaped and pulled it down. Then with the bases loaded and two outs, Chet Lemon hit a pop up to short left center that no one could see. That went for a triple. After that, the intermittent delays started. It was a fun game to attend.

I was at that game as well and it was strange and fun. Fans booed when it was announced that the game would be stopped when the fog got too bad. Poor Grieve. On Lemon's pop-up, he looked completely helpless. When the ball landed, it just laid there because the grass was so wet from two days of rain. Everybody in the stands saw the ball in the outfield grass. It took a while for Grieve to find it.

hawkjt
06-11-2013, 11:04 AM
It was an odd nite at the ole ballpark...wish I had been there in person to experience it.

I love strange nites at the ballpark,when weather or other factors create a unique circumstance....like a 2 hr rain delay and by the end of the game you are one of only a handful of fans down by home plate talking to the players.

Glad the Sox made it special last nite by rallying for the home folks.

And yes,it was weird to have both teams in town at the same time,playing at the same time,and dealing with the same strange fog.

Cubs played thru worse conditions than the Sox last nite for some reason...the umps for the Cubs did not think it was bad enough I guess.

Foulke You
06-11-2013, 11:18 AM
And yes,it was weird to have both teams in town at the same time,playing at the same time,and dealing with the same strange fog.

Cubs played thru worse conditions than the Sox last nite for some reason...the umps for the Cubs did not think it was bad enough I guess.
For what it is worth, CSN Sportsnite said the heavy fog was worse on the south side and lingered longer.

DSpivack
06-11-2013, 11:22 AM
For what it is worth, CSN Sportsnite said the heavy fog was worse on the south side and lingered longer.

From what I could tell by channel surfing, it was worse at Wrigley as the games started, got progressively worse at USCF as the night wore on.

Crestani
06-11-2013, 11:24 AM

:rolling:

Foulke You
06-11-2013, 11:28 AM
I don't know if the long delay affected Axelrod at all, but he couldn't get it done after the delay and couldn't make it through five A good job by the bullpen tonight, pitching out of trouble when they needed to. And a nice inning from Reed, although it was a a non-save situation.
Axelrod wasn't very sharp from the beginning in this one. He was leaving some fat pitches out over the plate and also falling behind hitters. When he came back from the fog delay, he managed to get even worse. Just not his night. It was nice to see the offense finally bail out one of our pitchers. Bullpen was very sharp other than Lindstrom's walks.

Great night by Dunn. While all of this negative talk about him is going on he is quietly putting up some good HR/RBI totals...
Indeed, for all the angst about Dunn, he is our team leader in HRs (16), RBIs (37), and BBs (27) and has been one of our better hitters of late. (I know, I know...tallest midget) He is also third on the team in runs scored. It's the crazy low batting avg that is preventing him from having a good season. I think the back spasms screwed him up for a couple weeks because he was starting to heat up before that happened. Apparently the back is feeling better because he has been a very solid power hitter lately.

vinny
06-11-2013, 01:49 PM
I'm more surprised to see any of them care about baseball

Well, the Leafs are out of the playoffs, so what else are you gonna do?

doublem23
06-11-2013, 02:01 PM
Well, the Leafs are out of the playoffs, so what else are you gonna do?

I don't know, what else do people i Canada like to do? Chug syrup? Drink chain coffee and pretend it's good? Eat poutine? So many options!

Foulke You
06-11-2013, 02:06 PM
I don't know, what else do people i Canada like to do? Chug syrup? Drink chain coffee and pretend it's good? Eat poutine? So many options!
You forgot watching curling as well as drinking Molson and pretending its good. On a side note, I'm pretty sure last night's Blue Jay contingent were part of a group road trip. Most of them seemed clustered in one section.

eriqjaffe
06-11-2013, 02:10 PM
Well, the Leafs are out of the playoffs, so what else are you gonna do?The CFL pre-season kicks off tomorrow. :shrug:

Wedema
06-11-2013, 09:29 PM
When the fog delay started, the Sox put Josh Fogg's career stats up on the scoreboard.