PDA

View Full Version : Baseball America ranks


Daver
08-02-2002, 03:36 PM
The top twenty five catchers in the minors.

1. Joe Mauer, Twins
2. Jeff Mathis, Angels
3. John Buck, Astros
4. Justin Huber, Mets
5. Victor Martinez, Indians
6. Kevin Cash, Blue Jays
7. Koyie Hill, Dodgers
8. Josh Bard, Indians
9. J.R. House, Pirates
10. Ryan Doumit, Pirates
11. Corky Miller, Reds
12. Kelly Shoppach, Red Sox
13. Gerald Laird, Rangers
14. Mike Rivera, Tigers
15. Guillermo Quiroz, Blue Jays
16. Brad Cresse, Diamondbacks
17. Ryan Jorgensen, Marlins
18. Jason Phillips, Mets
19. Miguel Olivo, White Sox
20. Hector Gimenez, Astros
21. Dane Sardinha, Reds
22. Dioner Navarro, Yankees
23. Ryan Christianson, Mariners
24. Jared Abruzzo, Angels
25. Yadier Molina, Cardinals

Soxheads
08-02-2002, 03:39 PM
Cleveland looks good at catcher.

delben91
08-02-2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by daver
The top twenty five catchers in the minors.



Do you know what criteria that ranking is based on?

DrCrawdad
08-02-2002, 03:42 PM
Daver,

I'm glad to see that we have a catching prospect rated in the top 20.

I sure hope that Olivo makes it with the Sox and does well.

Do you think the Sox will be looking to trade Paul or Johnson in the near future?

- DrCrawdad.

Daver
08-02-2002, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Daver,

I'm glad to see that we have a catching prospect rated in the top 20.

I sure hope that Olivo makes it with the Sox and does well.

Do you think the Sox will be looking to trade Paul or Johnson in the near future?

- DrCrawdad.

I don't know that Paul has any value,not as a catcher anyway,and Mark Johnson will probably be kept as he is all they have to alternate with Olivio.

Soxheads
08-02-2002, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by daver


I don't know that Paul has any value,not as a catcher anyway

Preach it!

Daver
08-02-2002, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by delben91


Do you know what criteria that ranking is based on?

Scouting and over all tools.

TOOL BOX
(Top 25 prospects only)

Best Receiving Skills
1. Corky Miller, Reds
2. Kevin Cash, Blue Jays
3. Joe Mauer, Twins
4. Josh Bard, Indians
5. Ryan Jorgensen, Marlins

Best Arm Strength
1. Corky Miller, Reds
2. Joe Mauer, Twins
3. Guillermo Quiroz, Blue Jays
4. Miguel Olivo, White Sox
5. Dane Sardinha, Reds

Best Projected Power
1. Joe Mauer, Twins
2. Justin Huber, Mets
3. J.R. House, Pirates
4. Mike Rivera, Tigers
5. Brad Cresse, Diamondbacks

Best Hitter for Average
1. Joe Mauer, Twins
2. Victor Martinez, Indians
3. Justin Huber, Mets
4. Jeff Mathis, Angels
5. Koyie Hill, Dodgers

DrCrawdad
08-02-2002, 04:04 PM
Daver, Would you please post BA's ranking/information on other Sox prospects?

Thanks,
- DrCrawdad

Daver
08-02-2002, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Daver, Would you please post BA's ranking/information on other Sox prospects?

Thanks,
- DrCrawdad

I post almost all the Sox related stuff they put up,including the Organizational reports.

34 Inch Stick
08-02-2002, 04:14 PM
Well a good arm is a good place to start with on a catcher.

Since the Twins already have Pierzinski do you think they are the team Kenny has been waiting to deal Royce to?

guillen4life13
08-02-2002, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Well a good arm is a good place to start with on a catcher.

Since the Twins already have Pierzinski do you think they are the team Kenny has been waiting to deal Royce to?

why would they ditch cristian guzman for royce?

rmusacch
08-02-2002, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Well a good arm is a good place to start with on a catcher.

Since the Twins already have Pierzinski do you think they are the team Kenny has been waiting to deal Royce to?

Yeah but didn't you hear that Nardi's new responsibilities in the organization are as the minor league catching coordinator, so there goes his arm strength. :)

WinningUgly!
08-03-2002, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by daver
The top twenty five catchers in the minors.

1. Joe Mauer, Twins
2. Jeff Mathis, Angels
3. John Buck, Astros
4. Justin Huber, Mets
5. Victor Martinez, Indians
6. Kevin Cash, Blue Jays
7. Koyie Hill, Dodgers
8. Josh Bard, Indians
9. J.R. House, Pirates
10. Ryan Doumit, Pirates
11. Corky Miller, Reds
12. Kelly Shoppach, Red Sox
13. Gerald Laird, Rangers
14. Mike Rivera, Tigers
15. Guillermo Quiroz, Blue Jays
16. Brad Cresse, Diamondbacks
17. Ryan Jorgensen, Marlins
18. Jason Phillips, Mets
19. Miguel Olivo, White Sox
20. Hector Gimenez, Astros
21. Dane Sardinha, Reds
22. Dioner Navarro, Yankees
23. Ryan Christianson, Mariners
24. Jared Abruzzo, Angels
25. Yadier Molina, Cardinals

Sure, the list comes out right after Paul is called up! :)

Nellie_Fox
08-03-2002, 01:38 AM
The Twins made Joe Mauer their number one pick because he was not just a hot prospect, but a Minnesota kid. The Mauer family is huge in Minnesota sports. His cousin, Nate Mauer, was one of my students, and he played hockey here at MSU. He is currently with the New Mexico Scorpions, a minor league affiliate of the Montreal Canadiens.

Anyway, even though I suspect you were being facetious, there is no way the Twins will trade Mauer.

seventytwo
08-03-2002, 07:19 AM
Dang, I was hoping that Mauer was going to "pull a Weinke" (pun intended) and go play QB for my alma mater, FSU, after a less than illustrious minor leage career.

For those that don't know, Mauer was the number one QB prospect in the nation coming out of high school (Cretin-Durham in Minnesota, same school as Chris Weinke) and signed a letter of intent to attend Florida State. Unfortunately, the Twins made him the number one pick in the baseball draft.

34 Inch Stick
08-03-2002, 11:23 AM
Imagine if the Twins had done the correct thing and picked Prior instead. That playoff starting rotation would be shaping into something special.

Nellie_Fox
08-04-2002, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Imagine if the Twins had done the correct thing and picked Prior instead. That playoff starting rotation would be shaping into something special. Pitchers play every fifth day. Catchers anchor your defense on a daily basis.