PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 6-9 Santiago, Sox salvage split; SOX 4 OAK 2 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
06-09-2013, 04:50 PM
The offense isn't fixed, but it is better than it was.

Frater Perdurabo
06-09-2013, 04:53 PM
We have a lot of ground to make up just to get to .500, but maybe, just maybe, the really bad baseball is behind us.

PushinWeight
06-09-2013, 04:55 PM
Nice win. The next few series against soft opponents is the last chance this 2013 White Sox team has to make this a competitive season. We will see what they are made of soon.

Frater Perdurabo
06-09-2013, 05:00 PM
Nice win. The next few series against soft opponents is the last chance this 2013 White Sox team has to make this a competitive season. We will see what they are made of soon.

With all the intra-division games in the second half, it's important to stay within striking distance of the division lead. In the second half, whoever gets hot in the division can win it. Most likely that's the Tigers, as they have a history of closing strong, but it's not a guarantee. Hopefully our bats heat up with the weather, and progress to the mean.

LITTLE NELL
06-09-2013, 05:05 PM
We should have swept this series, let's hope this is the start of a long winning streak.
Nice crowd today, 31,000. Family Sundays seems to be working and hopefully building a future fan base. Great move by management.

SCCWS
06-09-2013, 05:36 PM
I am with you. DeAza has been hitting better, put him in the keeper column. Dunn w another home run. I think he can get to 30+ and he may be able to get his average up to .175. I know Gillaspie's average has dropped 50 points since the end of June but he is the answer at 3rd. Viciedo had a walk today. That batting eye is coming around even though he has dropped 30 points since the end of June.
Sorry guys. I hope management doesn't think "the offense is better", "bad baseball is behind us", "last chance this 2013 White Sox team has to make this a competitive season" or "it's important to stay within striking distance of the division lead". It is time to totally re-do the offense and unfortunately even getting a high #1 pick next year may be needed. But we don't want management to think this team is coming around. A fire sale of any and all of the regulars is needed and hopefully only Peavy and Thornton while protecting the bulk of the young pitching.

The Immigrant
06-09-2013, 05:42 PM
Dunn w another home run.

That was yesterday.

cards press box
06-09-2013, 05:43 PM
We have a lot of ground to make up just to get to .500, but maybe, just maybe, the really bad baseball is behind us.

Hope so. The starting pitching is good and definitely a source of hope.

:winner

Dan H
06-09-2013, 05:44 PM
Reed had a great ninth and defense looked good. Still have a long way to go. Little Nell was right; should have taken all four. But those lost opportunities are a big reason the team is under .500.

doublem23
06-09-2013, 06:18 PM
Reed had a great ninth and defense looked good. Still have a long way to go. Little Nell was right; should have taken all four. But those lost opportunities are a big reason the team is under .500.

Almost every team has a laundry list of "coulda, woulda, shoulda" games at the end of the year, the Sox are bad because their offense is bad. It's not really more complicated than that.

WhiteSox5187
06-09-2013, 06:24 PM
Almost every team has a laundry list of "coulda, woulda, shoulda" games at the end of the year, the Sox are bad because their offense is bad. It's not really more complicated than that.

Their defense is pretty poor too.

Brian26
06-09-2013, 06:43 PM
We should have swept this series, let's hope this is the start of a long winning streak.
Nice crowd today, 31,000. Family Sundays seems to be working and hopefully building a future fan base. Great move by management.

I was blown away by the crowd today. And it wasnt riff-raff taking advantage of cheap tickets. There were genuinely tons of children there. Seems like the giveaway was a hit today.

Brian26
06-09-2013, 06:45 PM
Gillaspie was phenomenal at 3b today, and dont discount the importance of that sac fly in the 4th.

shingo10
06-09-2013, 06:58 PM

Was impressed with the crowd as well. Like you said Family Sundays really seems to be working quite well.

Especially today when you consider this team is coming off of one of the worst road trips I can remember them having and then dropping 2 in a row to start the homestand.

7 games under and 8 games back. Be interesting to see if we can work our way back up to third again by month's end. Baby steps.

DumpJerry
06-09-2013, 09:00 PM
I know Gillaspie's average has dropped 50 points since the end of June but he is the answer at 3rd.
:cleo
Looking to get into my line of work?

Lip Man 1
06-09-2013, 09:04 PM
The body of work is small but it looks like Santiago is more comfortable starting then out of the pen.

Yes the crowds have been unusually good for this bad of a team, credit that to cheaper tickets but if the team goes south in the second half with a very tough schedule and / or a sell off of veterans, the impact probably won't be felt in the stands until next year. Tickets have already been bought for this year.

Nice to win two straight for the first time in what two, 21/2 weeks?

Lip

asindc
06-09-2013, 09:04 PM
With all the intra-division games in the second half, it's important to stay within striking distance of the division lead. In the second half, whoever gets hot in the division can win it. Most likely that's the Tigers, as they have a history of closing strong, but it's not a guarantee. Hopefully our bats heat up with the weather, and progress to the mean.

Actually, they don't. Ask any Tigers fan.

Wedema
06-09-2013, 09:10 PM
Was impressed with the crowd as well. Like you said Family Sundays really seems to be working quite well.

Especially today when you consider this team is coming off of one of the worst road trips I can remember them having and then dropping 2 in a row to start the homestand.

7 games under and 8 games back. Be interesting to see if we can work our way back up to third again by month's end. Baby steps.

It was a good crowd today for the jersey giveaway. Everyone was there early for the jersey and autographs. My daughter only made it through two autograph lines today and she was making it through 4-5 lines on previous Sundays.

TDog
06-09-2013, 09:11 PM
Gillaspie was phenomenal at 3b today, and dont discount the importance of that sac fly in the 4th.

Gillaspie has been in a hitting slump. Even when he has been making good contact, he has been hitting into the defense. But he has been looking like a very good defensive third baseman, even coming into this game. He made a play in Oakland last Sunday that may have been his best of the season. Part of his hitting slump may be that the White Sox have been playing the A's, who have been playing really great baseball of late.

Really, the Sox went 2-5 against the A's, and all five losses were games where they had a chance to win. The first two losses in the home series were heartbreaking. The Sox probably stayed with Quintana longer than they should have because their bullpen was overworked, and he eventually gave up the 3-0 lead. Sale had a bad inning and lost his 3-0 lead. Today's game was the only one of the series where the Sox didn't have a three-run lead.

I was surprised that Santiago did as well as he did today with the A's having seen better lefties in Sale and Danks the last two days. One of the reasons you don't see a lot of lefty-heavy rotations is that lefties tend to have a greater edge against lineups who see fewer lefties.

Against Oakland, it was a nice comeback for Santiago, who walked in the winning run in the Saturday game in Oakland, although an A's fan I had the misfortune to be seated in front of last Sunday, seeming to be making a case for cutting off beer sales 10 minutes before the first pitch, was screaming for an entire inning at Lindstrom, accusing him rather rudely of walking in the winning run the day before.

Wedema
06-09-2013, 09:18 PM
Gillaspie has been in a hitting slump. Even when he has been making good contact, he has been hitting into the defense. But he has been looking like a very good defensive third baseman, even coming into this game. He made a play in Oakland last Sunday that may have been his best of the season. Part of his hitting slump may be that the White Sox have been playing the A's, who have been playing really great baseball of late.

Really, the Sox went 2-5 against the A's, and all five losses were games where they had a chance to win. The first two losses in the home series were heartbreaking. The Sox probably stayed with Quintana longer than they should have because their bullpen was overworked, and he eventually gave up the 3-0 lead. Sale had a bad inning and lost his 3-0 lead. Today's game was the only one of the series where the Sox didn't have a three-run lead.

I was surprised that Santiago did as well as he did today with the A's having seen better lefties in Sale and Danks the last two days. One of the reasons you don't see a lot of lefty-heavy rotations is that lefties tend to have a greater edge against lineups who see fewer lefties.

Against Oakland, it was a nice comeback for Santiago, who walked in the winning run in the Saturday game in Oakland, although an A's fan I had the misfortune to be seated in front of last Sunday, seeming to be making a case for cutting off beer sales 10 minutes before the first pitch, was screaming for an entire inning at Lindstrom, accusing him rather rudely of walking in the winning run the day before.

The A's also faced Quintana on Thursday so it was 4 straight lefties for the Sox in the series. I saw on the board today that it was the first time the Sox started 4 lefties in a 4 games series since 1980 (Burns, Trout, Baumgarten, and Kravec).

jdm2662
06-09-2013, 09:33 PM
The last two games was simply a matter of the law of averages. The A's and White Sox couldn't keep playing the way they were for that long. Happens all the time in baseball.

I'm happy to hear the families had a good day at the ballpark, though. I'd like to take my son to his first game, but he's still a bit young.

GlassSox
06-09-2013, 10:01 PM
I was blown away by the crowd today. And it wasnt riff-raff taking advantage of cheap tickets. There were genuinely tons of children there. Seems like the giveaway was a hit today.

I agree, it was a good crowd and loads of kids. :smile:

roylestillman
06-09-2013, 10:02 PM
Here's an interesting tidbit from today. Sox attendance: 31,033. Cubs attendance: 31,858. I can't remember the last time we were that close when both teams were playing at home on the same day.

JB98
06-09-2013, 10:13 PM
I was pleasantly surprised by the crowd today. Second best crowd of the season among the eight games I've attended this year, with only Opening Day being better.

Santiago looked pretty good out there. That Peavy injury is obviously a big blow for this team, but the one positive that will come from it is an opportunity for Santiago to remain in the rotation over the next month or six weeks. He should get eight or nine starts out of that, and management can use that to start evaluating whether he's a rotation piece for 2014.

Nice defensive work by Gillaspie today. He saved the pitching staff some headaches with three or four good plays.

Railsplitter
06-09-2013, 10:17 PM
:bandance::bandance:

Let's get some more wins

BainesHOF
06-09-2013, 10:23 PM
I am with you. DeAza has been hitting better, put him in the keeper column.

Why would you say that? De Aza had made six errors already, terrible for an outfielder, his on-base percentage is bad, he strikes out too much and he mopes on the field.

I'm not even close to getting excited about this team. It has major issues.

It's nice to see Beckham hitting since his return. He isn't just recording hits. He looks like he has a clue at the plate and is hitting the ball hard.

Santiago does a good job in his ever-changing roles. The kid is a competitor.

Matt Thornton almost made Hawk swear today. It's time to find the lefty a new home.

Gillaspie had an awesome defensive day.

doublem23
06-09-2013, 11:30 PM
Their defense is pretty poor too.

True that

Tragg
06-09-2013, 11:48 PM
Santiago is a good starter.
Keep him there.

LoveYourSuit
06-10-2013, 12:27 AM

I think this is going to be the only way to ever make a true dent in the fan support for Chicago Baseball. You need to get kids interested to go to Sox games. I was talking to my wife about this, Family Sundays feel more of an event than just baseball. Even with a sucky team like ours, it was fun to be at the park today.

As for Santiago, I keep saying, there is more to him than Quintana. I would build with this guy in the rotation going forward instead of Quintana.

CoopaLoop
06-10-2013, 01:06 AM
Santiago > Quintana and Axelrod

Dan H
06-10-2013, 08:11 AM
Here's an interesting tidbit from today. Sox attendance: 31,033. Cubs attendance: 31,858. I can't remember the last time we were that close when both teams were playing at home on the same day.

That is interesting. Although Sox attendance problems are far from over, the Cubs problems are just starting.

Good win for the Sox although the hitting still has a long way to go.

SCCWS
06-10-2013, 08:50 AM
Why would you say that? De Aza had made six errors already, terrible for an outfielder, his on-base percentage is bad, he strikes out too much and he mopes on the field.

Besides a decline in baseball fundamentals, reading comprehension has also seen better days. Then again, maybe it is the writing.

October26
06-10-2013, 09:09 AM
I agree, it was a good crowd and loads of kids. :smile:

Yes! :D:

I spent the day gardening with my family yesterday, so I dvr'd the game and watched it early this morning.

I agree that it was great to see so many kids in attendance when the cameras scanned the crowd. I was thinking about how popular that 1983 Sox team was/is and how some of these children might be the babies of those Sox fans who were children themselves and grew up loving the1983 Sox team. Regardless, it is great to know that a new generation of Sox fans is being cultivated.

As for the game, it was nice to see the Sox play well. Besides the final out, my favorite moment of the game was when the fans gave Santiago a standing ovation as he left the game and Hector tipped his cap to the crowd. Loved that!

Hitmen77
06-10-2013, 10:04 AM

Yes, great crowd. It was also Father-Daughter Day - that always brings out a lot of kids to the park.

cards press box
06-10-2013, 10:41 AM

Gillaspie had a great all around game today. He has been one of the bright spots of 2013.

Santiago > Quintana and Axelrod

Santiago has a lot of upside. I hope the Sox keep him starting all year.

salty99
06-10-2013, 11:11 AM
The family and I had a great time at the game and got to see a White Sox winner! My oldest got autographs from Hawk, Stone, and the Danks boys on his 83 jersey, which he then proceeded to wear on his trip around the bases after the game. The LaRussa/Hoyt line was so huge even when I got there at 11:30 I didn't even bother with it. It was weird though to see DJ by himself in a line and how big it was. I think though my kids favorite activity was visiting the outfield shower 3-4 times.

Wedema
06-10-2013, 11:17 AM
The family and I had a great time at the game and got to see a White Sox winner! My oldest got autographs from Hawk, Stone, and the Danks boys on his 83 jersey, which he then proceeded to wear on his trip around the bases after the game. The LaRussa/Hoyt line was so huge even when I got there at 11:30 I didn't even bother with it. It was weird though to see DJ by himself in a line and how big it was. I think though my kids favorite activity was visiting the outfield shower 3-4 times.

DJ was supposed to be with Matt Thornton but Thornton didn't show up for the autograph session. My daughter was in that line first and left when they announced it would only be DJ signing.

kittle42
06-10-2013, 11:19 AM

With Stub Hub these days, plenty of non-Ligues take advantage of cheap tickets. I haven't gone to a game for face or over for several seasons now.

Foulke You
06-10-2013, 11:33 AM

I'm not even close to getting excited about this team. It has major issues.

It's nice to see Beckham hitting since his return. He isn't just recording hits. He looks like he has a clue at the plate and is hitting the ball hard.

Santiago does a good job in his ever-changing roles. The kid is a competitor.

Matt Thornton almost made Hawk swear today. It's time to find the lefty a new home.

Gillaspie had an awesome defensive day.
Agree about De Aza. I'm not sold on him "being back" yet but I would say that he has responded favorably to those private conversations that Ventura/Hahn had with some of the struggling players. The approach at the plate seems improved lately. However, his defense in the outfield has taken a huge step back this year. He misjudges a lot of line drives, misplays the angles on balls hit off the wall, and has a hard time corralling the ball when it bounces in front of him.

As far as Thornton, I'm sure Hahn will get calls about him at the deadline assuming we are still out of contention. Veteran hard throwing lefties will be in demand. We probably should move him but the lack of organizational lefties is a concern. Veal and Septimo are not the answer and Santiago looks to be a starting pitcher if not this year, then definitely next.

TDog
06-10-2013, 12:47 PM
The A's also faced Quintana on Thursday so it was 4 straight lefties for the Sox in the series. I saw on the board today that it was the first time the Sox started 4 lefties in a 4 games series since 1980 (Burns, Trout, Baumgarten, and Kravec).

The A's apparently are scheduled to face Sabathia in their next game Tuesday, which would make five straight lefty starters. I would think that alone gives the A's something of an edge when Sabathia and Colon get together for their little Indians reunion, that and whatever drugs Colon is on since serving his 50-game suspension. By game time, someone will probably come up with the last time a team faced five straight lefty starters.

hawkjt
06-10-2013, 01:49 PM
I am a huge personal fan of Hector Santiago after that unsolicited gesture he made this past winter going to Sandy Hook to talk to the kids.
He is a high character person,and I will always root for him to succeed. He made a bunch of new fans at Sandy Hook and I was disappointed that yesterdays game was not on WGN which would have allowed his new fans to see him in his triumphal moment.

I see Hector and Jose as very close in talent,with both having good futures ahead of them. Jose's throwing harder this year, up to 94mph,and so he now is right with Hector in stuff.

DeAza seems to be swinging up the middle more recently,which is where he should always be going.

Baby steps back to respectability? As Hawk said yesterday, the A's had he same record as the Sox did yesterday,last year,when they went on the rampage and won the AL West with 94 wins. It can be done,gang.

doublem23
06-10-2013, 02:02 PM
The A's apparently are scheduled to face Sabathia in their next game Tuesday, which would make five straight lefty starters. I would think that alone gives the A's something of an edge when Sabathia and Colon get together for their little Indians reunion, that and whatever drugs Colon is on since serving his 50-game suspension. By game time, someone will probably come up with the last time a team faced five straight lefty starters.

Hector is an interesting case, though, the way the ball comes out of his hand and the way it moves, his splits make him look more like a righty.

Both he and Quintana have looked very good this year, definitely capable of being back of the rotation pitchers on good teams. It's a nice problem to have.

It looks like we have long term solutions to our 1, 4, and 5 SP slots. Need to find a few guys who can slide in behind Sale and in front of Hector and Q. Hopefully Erik Johnson in Birmingham can fill one of those openings.

Tragg
06-10-2013, 02:10 PM
Hector is an interesting case, though, the way the ball comes out of his hand and the way it moves, his splits make him look more like a righty.

Both he and Quintana have looked very good this year, definitely capable of being back of the rotation pitchers on good teams. It's a nice problem to have.

It looks like we have long term solutions to our 1, 4, and 5 SP slots. Need to find a few guys who can slide in behind Sale and in front of Hector and Q. Hopefully Erik Johnson in Birmingham can fill one of those openings.

We need a strong right hander, especially if we trade Peavy at the deadline, which we should if teams are willing to pay (as they should). Axe has done yeoman work - I'd give him the award for Sox Player of the Year at this point - but he's just one.

We need some young position players - look at the Cardinals...a constant infusion of young talent onto their team.

Lip Man 1
06-10-2013, 03:52 PM
It helps that most say St. Louis has the best minor league system in baseball. S.I. had a story on "the Cardinal way..." two weeks ago and listed four kinds that they say are basically can't miss for them you'll be up in the next year or two.

The rich seem to always get richer don't they?

Lip

Hitmen77
06-10-2013, 04:36 PM

Don't forget that Danks is signed through 2016. If he's recovered from his injury and can stay healthy, he'll be a part of this rotation for several years to come.

TDog
06-10-2013, 05:43 PM
We need a strong right hander, especially if we trade Peavy at the deadline, which we should if teams are willing to pay (as they should). Axe has done yeoman work - I'd give him the award for Sox Player of the Year at this point - but he's just one.

We need some young position players - look at the Cardinals...a constant infusion of young talent onto their team.

It is rare that teams give up much for veterans at the deadline, although the Sox have given up Miguel Olivo and Daniel Hudson in deadline deals, which fans and some in the media believed was a substantial amount at the time. For every example of a franchise-impacting deal in dumping veterans, there are numerous examples of trades that really didn't improve their team. Even with everything the Sox gave up in 1997, the only big contributors from that trade were Foulke and Howry, who could have been acquired much more cheaply in the offseason. The big prize in that 1997 trade was supposed to be Lorenzo Barceló. You aren't likely to get a lot of young talent for Jake Peavy.

Fans and people in the media get excited about dumping veterans in deadline deals, but historically there has been more value to be found in off-season deals, although there is one contract on the Sox I wouldn't mind a team picking up on waivers the way the Sox picked up Rios when he was no longer wanted in Toronto.

Foulke You
06-10-2013, 06:00 PM
It is rare that teams give up much for veterans at the deadline, although the Sox have given up Miguel Olivo and Daniel Hudson in deadline deals, which fans and some in the media believed was a substantial amount at the time. For every example of a franchise-impacting deal in dumping veterans, there are numerous examples of trades that really didn't improve their team. Even with everything the Sox gave up in 1997, the only big contributors from that trade were Foulke and Howry, who could have been acquired much more cheaply in the offseason. The big prize in that 1997 trade was supposed to be Lorenzo Barceló. You aren't likely to get a lot of young talent for Jake Peavy.

Fans and people in the media get excited about dumping veterans in deadline deals, but historically there has been more value to be found in off-season deals, although there is one contract on the Sox I wouldn't mind a team picking up on waivers the way the Sox picked up Rios when he was no longer wanted in Toronto.
Not to be nitpicky, but SS Mike Caruso was the big prize in the infamous white flag trade. He was the one player that was really sold hard to the fans after the negative fallout from the trade. For one season, it looked like he was going to be a fixture at SS but the league adjusted their defense to his slap hitting and that ended Caruso's run on the south side.

Lip Man 1
06-10-2013, 06:07 PM
Foulks:

That and Caruso'a 'attitude'. He simply did not work very hard from what I've been told.

Lip

Tragg
06-10-2013, 06:29 PM
It is rare that teams give up much for veterans at the deadline, although the Sox have given up Miguel Olivo and Daniel Hudson in deadline deals, which fans and some in the media believed was a substantial amount at the time. .

It happens. The Giants gave up their top prospect (and one of the top in baseball, as I recall) for a 2 month rent of Beltran. The Phillies gave 2 of their top 5 for Hunter Pence. We can get good prospects, if we negotiate.
And if we can't, just keep him. No more give-aways.

None of the prospects we got from the Giants were elite. Caruso was semi-elite, one pitcher was semi-elite and the only 2 that did anything were Foulke and Howry, as you pointed out. Trading the players we did was reasonable, but the execution was poor.

SCCWS
06-10-2013, 07:42 PM
[QUOTE=cards press box;3059899]Gillaspie had a great all around game today. He has been one of the bright spots of 2013.

QUOTE]

The brightness may be wearing off. His average has dropped 30 points in the last few weeks. He is 0 for June. Hopefully he is in a slump but it may also mean that major league pitching is catching up to him.

TDog
06-11-2013, 01:27 AM
It happens. The Giants gave up their top prospect (and one of the top in baseball, as I recall) for a 2 month rent of Beltran. The Phillies gave 2 of their top 5 for Hunter Pence. We can get good prospects, if we negotiate.
And if we can't, just keep him. No more give-aways.

None of the prospects we got from the Giants were elite. Caruso was semi-elite, one pitcher was semi-elite and the only 2 that did anything were Foulke and Howry, as you pointed out. Trading the players we did was reasonable, but the execution was poor.

Zack Wheeler hasn't yet pitched in the majors and has an ERA in excess of 4 in the PCL. He is the Mets top pitching prospect, and is likely to be called up from Las Vegas soon, but he isn't nearly the top pitching prospect in the PCL. The Giants hyped him, but he wasn't another Lincecum, who was untouchable in Fresno. Maybe Wheeler will develop into a solid major league starter, but he is less a can't-miss prospect Lorenzo Barcelo or even Scott Ruffcorn was.

The two minor leaguers the Giants gave up for Hunter pence is more the norm of what teams get at the trading deadline.

CoopaLoop
06-11-2013, 01:33 AM
Zack Wheeler hasn't yet pitched in the majors and has an ERA in excess of 4 in the PCL. He is the Mets top pitching prospect, and is likely to be called up from Las Vegas soon, but he isn't nearly the top pitching prospect in the PCL. The Giants hyped him, but he wasn't another Lincecum, who was untouchable in Fresno. Maybe Wheeler will develop into a solid major league starter, but he is less a can't-miss prospect Lorenzo Barcelo or even Scott Ruffcorn was.

The two minor leaguers the Giants gave up for Hunter pence is more the norm of what teams get at the trading deadline.

Wheeler away from Vegas has been dominant.

TDog
06-11-2013, 04:09 PM
Wheeler away from Vegas has been dominant.

Maybe he will turn out to be a solid starter in the National League. If he does, he will be the extreme exception to deadline trades. The trick might be finding a team that wants your veterans badly and undervalues their best prospects for some reason because teams don't trade their best prospects for veterans midseason, especially in this economic climate. The Giants wouldn't even give up Gillaspie when they traded for Pence last year, and Gillaspie was close to running out of options.

You are very unlikely to get much for Peavy at the trade deadline.