PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy Suffers Seizure...

Lip Man 1
06-09-2013, 12:44 PM
According to ESPN.com he is recovering from one a few days ago. Don't know if this has anything to do with his being hit in the head by that line drive or if he'll ever be able to play again.

Lip

dickallen15
06-09-2013, 01:20 PM
According to ESPN.com he is recovering from one a few days ago. Don't know if this has anything to do with his being hit in the head by that line drive or if he'll ever be able to play again.

Lip

He should play soon. He was told his injury could cause seizures. It is the first one he has had simce the injury. Hopefully, the last.

LITTLE NELL
06-09-2013, 06:33 PM
Would not be surprised if MLB comes down soon with an edict that pitchers wear some kind of protection for the head. Batting helmets would probably pose a problem as being too cumbersome while pitching but it's getting pretty scary out there on the mound and we someday might see a pitcher get killed.

chicagowhitesox1
06-09-2013, 08:54 PM
Hope he's ok, always liked him.

...Did Guillen have some sort of problem with him when he played here? Is that why he left the Sox? I kinda recall some kind of problem between the two.

Lip Man 1
06-09-2013, 09:05 PM
Brandon wasn't particular pleased with having to pitch out of the pen and I suspect Ozzie picked up on it.

Lip

Frater Perdurabo
06-09-2013, 09:38 PM
Brandon wasn't particular pleased with having to pitch out of the pen and I suspect Ozzie picked up on it.

Lip

One could argue that Ozzie goofed. Some of us thought at the time that the Sox should have had McCarthy start in the rotation, in order to skip Buehrle, Contreras, Garland and Garcia, at various points. After riding those workhorses hard in 2005, they lost effectiveness in the second half (especially Buehrle), and each could have benefitted from occasional rest.

canOcorn
06-09-2013, 09:50 PM

Lip

Brandon ran in BA's circle and that what rubbed Ozzie wrong. Weird thing is that was the same circle as Paulie and Buehrle.

chicagowhitesox1
06-09-2013, 10:01 PM
Brandon ran in BA's circle and that what rubbed Ozzie wrong. Weird thing is that was the same circle as Paulie and Buehrle.

Is BA Brian Anderson?

amsteel
06-09-2013, 10:09 PM
MLB has to be very careful with this because if this were to happen on the field it'd be a PR nightmare.

RKMeibalane
06-09-2013, 10:30 PM
Is BA Brian Anderson?

Yes.

Frater Perdurabo
06-09-2013, 10:31 PM
Is BA Brian Anderson?

Yes. What's really disturbing is that he'd be among the better hitters on the 2013 White Sox.

Frater Perdurabo
06-09-2013, 10:34 PM

Were Paulie and Buehrle really in the same party circle, though? Weren't both of them married and, at least in Paulie's case, already fathers of small kids, whereas BA and BMac were known to frequent the watering holes until the wee hours?

soltrain21
06-09-2013, 10:48 PM
Yes. What's really disturbing is that he'd be among the better hitters on the 2013 White Sox.

Those were the days, weren't they? When we were worried about a .240 hitter who played lights out CF?

canOcorn
06-09-2013, 11:19 PM
Is BA Brian Anderson?

:tiphat:

Yes.

WhiteSox5187
06-09-2013, 11:35 PM
One could argue that Ozzie goofed. Some of us thought at the time that the Sox should have had McCarthy start in the rotation, in order to skip Buehrle, Contreras, Garland and Garcia, at various points. After riding those workhorses hard in 2005, they lost effectiveness in the second half (especially Buehrle), and each could have benefitted from occasional rest.

That was discussed back in 2006 with either Ozzie or Kenny (maybe both?) being a big proponent of a 6 man rotation, Cooper and the pitchers were against it though.

dickallen15
06-10-2013, 09:21 AM
He is now on anti-seizure medication. Thankfully this happened when he was sitting down at a restaurant. If he were driving a car, things could have become very bad.

Frater Perdurabo
06-10-2013, 09:39 AM
That was discussed back in 2006 with either Ozzie or Kenny (maybe both?) being a big proponent of a 6 man rotation, Cooper and the pitchers were against it though.

I think that's a big reason why KW acquired Vazquez. His 2008 playoff meltdown aside, acquiring Vazquez was the right move.

Foulke You
06-10-2013, 11:37 AM
Those were the days, weren't they? When we were worried about a .240 hitter who played lights out CF?
Puts this season's offense in perspective doesn't it? Anderson was the only weak link in that 2006 lineup.

WhiteSox5187
06-10-2013, 08:04 PM
I think that's a big reason why KW acquired Vazquez. His 2008 playoff meltdown aside, acquiring Vazquez was the right move.

It was the right move but he was pretty awful in the second half too if I recall. When the pressure was on, he would always shrink away.

Mr. Jinx
06-10-2013, 08:21 PM
It was the right move but he was pretty awful in the second half too if I recall. When the pressure was on, he would always shrink away.

Javy has made me a few bucks over the years betting against him in the playoffs.

doublem23
06-10-2013, 09:54 PM

Eh, not as much as you'd think:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=vazquja01&year=2008&t=p#half_extra

He was overall pretty steady

WhiteSox5187
06-10-2013, 11:37 PM

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=vazquja01&year=2008&t=p#half_extra

That 6.25 ERA in September of 2008 was pretty much the definition of choking, but he had that nice house in Puerto Rico he could go back to.

Boondock Saint
06-10-2013, 11:53 PM

What killed me was how spectacularly he fell apart after getting through the lineup the second time. The 5th or 6th inning, almost like clockwork, you would see guys hitting ropes off of him. I can't count the number of times I wondered if Ozzie was watching the same game as the rest of us, because you could always plainly see when things were turning sour for Javy, and Ozzie would always leave him in to get shelled.

edit: Just looked it up, Javy has a career 6.28 ERA in the 6th inning. Wow.

doublem23
06-11-2013, 06:51 AM
That 6.25 ERA in September of 2008 was pretty much the definition of choking, but he had that nice house in Puerto Rico he could go back to.

Yeah but it wasn't even his worst month of the season, plus, he had a great August that helped even put the team in that position.

It's not like Vazquez was the only player on the Sox who has struggled in September under the Manuel-Ozzie-Ventura eras.

WhiteSox5187
06-11-2013, 01:52 PM
Yeah but it wasn't even his worst month of the season, plus, he had a great August that helped even put the team in that position.

It's not like Vazquez was the only player on the Sox who has struggled in September under the Manuel-Ozzie-Ventura eras.

No he wasn't, but it was ANYTIME there was pressure or you needed a big start from him, he fell apart. He did great on last place teams but if the team was contending he could not be counted on when it mattered the most. He also just didn't seem to care too much either, that whole quote "I will just go to my house in Puerto Rico," was very strange.

TomBradley72
06-11-2013, 02:08 PM

Don't lose track of the fact that he had to pitch on short rest a few times in Sept/oct that year- a number of starts with only 3 days rest-

doublem23
06-11-2013, 03:26 PM
Don't lose track of the fact that he had to pitch on short rest a few times in Sept/oct that year- a number of starts with only 3 days rest-

2 of his last 3 starts were on short rest, but yeah, he was pithing well in 2008 until they started him short rest, his last 10 starts prior to pithcing on 3 days rest for the first time:

10 G, 68.1 IP, 3.29 ERA, .235 BAA