PDA

View Full Version : Diamondbacks make classiest draft this year

34rancher
06-09-2013, 06:49 AM
And this should be the headline of the draft. Very classy.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/draft/2013/story/_/id/9356727/arizona-diamondbacks-draft-paralyzed-player-34th-round

Steelrod
06-09-2013, 10:39 AM
Classy act by a classy organization.

gobears1987
06-09-2013, 10:49 AM
It definitely beats drafting a GM's son who has no future or chance of a future in baseball.

DSpivack
06-09-2013, 10:56 AM
It definitely beats drafting a GM's son who has no future or chance of a future in baseball.

Or daughter.

gobears1987
06-09-2013, 12:27 PM
Or daughter.
I was specifically referencing this shameful pick by our pathetic organization.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=willia010ken

Kenny should've been fired on the spot.

RKMeibalane
06-09-2013, 12:49 PM
Or daughter.

I was specifically referencing this shameful pick by our pathetic organization.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=willia010ken

Kenny should've been fired on the spot.

That's not as shameful as Ron Scheuler drafting his daughter.

gobears1987
06-09-2013, 01:04 PM
That's not as shameful as Ron Scheuler drafting his daughter.

I had never heard of that (probably because I was 5) but I just Googled it. At least Scheuler waited until the 43rd round, that isn't so terrible. Kenny was enough of an idiot to waste a 6th round pick. No wonder the Sox minor league system sucks.

thomas35forever
06-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Nicely done. Wish there was more like this in the game.

chicagowhitesox1
06-09-2013, 07:47 PM
I was going to say that I didn't think drafting Williams kid was that bad but after reading that he drafted him in the 6th round, that is terrible. Was he at least a hot prospect?

WhiteSox5187
06-09-2013, 10:37 PM
I was going to say that I didn't think drafting Williams kid was that bad but after reading that he drafted him in the 6th round, that is terrible. Was he at least a hot prospect?

I don't think anyone had him being drafted that early.

Milw
06-13-2013, 02:30 PM
Not to be That Guy, but what actually gets accomplished by doing this? The Diamondbacks get good PR, I guess, but the kid gets nothing except another reminder about what could have been, all the while being made to be a public charity case/spectacle. I don't get it.

Domeshot17
06-13-2013, 02:57 PM
Not to be That Guy, but what actually gets accomplished by doing this? The Diamondbacks get good PR, I guess, but the kid gets nothing except another reminder about what could have been, all the while being made to be a public charity case/spectacle. I don't get it.

Personally, I think you are way off. I played baseball and college, and I promise you anyone who did would have killed to know what it was like to have that phone ring on draft day.

Milw
06-13-2013, 03:11 PM
Personally, I think you are way off. I played baseball and college, and I promise you anyone who did would have killed to know what it was like to have that phone ring on draft day.
Under normal circumstances, of course... but knowing the phone is ringing out of pity and/or as a publicity stunt? No thanks.

Rocky Soprano
06-13-2013, 03:15 PM
Under normal circumstances, of course... but knowing the phone is ringing out of pity and/or as a publicity stunt? No thanks.

I dont think they did it out of pity or as a publicity stunt.
I honestly believe they did it because they wanted to help him.

Domeshot17
06-13-2013, 03:18 PM
I dont think they did it out of pity or as a publicity stunt.
I honestly believe they did it because they wanted to help him.

Agreed, He can always tell his kids he was drafted, and is likely entering a real job with the Dbacks, I bet this kid is blown away.

Milw
06-15-2013, 03:37 PM
Agreed, He can always tell his kids he was drafted, and is likely entering a real job with the Dbacks, I bet this kid is blown away.
Two things:
1. If he is indeed entering a real job with the Dbacks, I don't see how being drafted makes it THAT much more awesome. The job is what counts here, and that's awesome in its own right.
2. Yeah, he can tell his kids that he was drafted... but his being drafted means some other deserving kid didn't get drafted. The draft is a zero sum game.