PDA

View Full Version : Sun-Times: The boys of bummer

DrCrawdad
08-02-2002, 09:38 AM
Chicago Sun-Times article (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-greg02.html)

Chicago Sun-Times

The boys of bummer '

August 2, 2002

BY GREG COUCH SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST

...So the failure of the Cubs' sluggers as a group makes them the most disappointing?

''No,'' said Les Grobstein of Sporting News Radio. ''It's true that the Cubs' sluggers have been a bigger disappointment overall. Still, Frank Thomas' numbers are way off. And while Sammy's having an off year, the numbers are still pretty good.

''But the White Sox are a bigger flop by far because they're in the worst division in baseball.''

Worst division? Levine says the Cubs are in a weak division.

''Look [at the Sox division],'' Grobstein said. ''Cleveland is tanking it. Detroit and Kansas City are both a joke, and only the Twins are legitimate. Yet the Sox are still below .500.

''The Cubs exceeded what I thought they would do. I never thought they were in St. Louis' class.''

All right, let's back up. Which is the most disappointing Todd in town? Ritchie or Hundley?

''Ritchie, totally,'' Grobstein said. ''Nobody expected Todd to go back to his old form.''

Nobody expected which Todd to go back?

''Hundley.''

Did you know Hundley is hitting under .200 for the Cubs? He was booed Thursday after falling down while trying to catch a simple pop-up, which fell on the ground right next to him...

DrCrawdad
08-02-2002, 10:13 AM
Les,

That was an artful dodge. That's the way you want it to be, that the Sox were the bigger flop, but you know that you and many other of your Cub fan friends expected the Cubs to walk away with the division.

- DrCrawdad.

CubKilla
08-02-2002, 10:39 AM
I'd say BOTH are equally disappointing. Alot of baseball periodicals predicted the White Sox would run away with the division. And how many stories were written about the "Best 3,4,and 5 in Baseball?" Guess Grobstein is looking at things through Cubby-blue colored glasses.

soxrme
08-02-2002, 10:40 AM
CRAWDAD - YOU ARE CORRECT!! GROBSTEIN IS A MORON. HE BLEEDS CUBBIE BLUE AND RARELY HAS ANYTHING GOOD TO SAY ABOUT THE SOX. HOW THIS GUY IS STILL ON THE RADIO IS BEYOND ME. HE BELONGS WITH MURPHY, NORTH, HUEBNER, AND BERNSTEIN IN RADIO HELL, WHEREVER THAT IS.

WinningUgly!
08-02-2002, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by soxrme
IN RADIO HELL, WHEREVER THAT IS.
Try 670, 820, 720 or 1000 on you AM dial.

DrWatson27
08-02-2002, 11:09 AM
You guys have to remember as Cub fans the expectations are always low because the team always sucks so based on that of course the Sox are a bigger disappointment, the bar is always set higher for the Sox.

cheeses_h_rice
08-02-2002, 11:24 AM
They're both big disappointments, but come on, who has the huger payroll? Who thought all the pieces were in place after the McGriff and Alou signings?

Friends don't let friends :bluerock .

PaleHoseGeorge
08-02-2002, 11:40 AM
Only Les Grobstein, a demented moron smoking Cubbie crack, could think there is any value in pumping out 50,000 watts to argue which side of town has the more miserable wretch of a baseball team.

These Flub fans are un-****ing-believable!

I'm sure glad they don't care about the Sox.

Hypocrites...

KingXerxes
08-02-2002, 11:56 AM
When I was out in Vegas in late March, both clubs were 8 - 1 on winning their respective pennants.

They're both about 15 games out of their divisions therefor I am forced to conclude that they both suck equally - Although to be honest with you at least the White Sox were in the race albeit for a short while this year.

voodoochile
08-02-2002, 12:07 PM
''Nobody expected Todd to go back to his old form.''

Notice he forgets to mention which Todd he is referring to, as if there could only be one. Ritchie who?

What a shock, Grobstein roots for the flubbies and thinks the Sox are more disappointing. Maybe he should ask my flubbie fan roommate what he thinks. I bet he gets an entirely different answer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this supposed to be the Flubbies year with the acquisition of Alou, the resigning of McWhiff and the early trade for Clement and "The Octupus"?

Flubbie fever... sniff it :bluerock

DrCrawdad
08-02-2002, 01:01 PM
Les neglects to mention that while many expected the Sox to win the AL Central, there were also many expressing doubts about the Sox starters.

Meanwhile the Cubs starters were hailed as the best starters in MLB, not to overlook the hype about Sosa-McGriff-Alou, the best 3-4-5 ever assembled.

The truth of the matter is that yes Sox fans hoped that the Sox would win the division. Cub fans expected to win their division.

CuckTheFubs
08-02-2002, 01:13 PM
:santo
"At the start of the season
I said that this was the
best Cubs team that
I've ever seen. Patrick, I guess
when I made that prediction
my gamer was way too tight."

ChiSoxBobette
08-02-2002, 02:42 PM
Why oh why would they ask mess grobstein's opinion on the state of baseball in Chicago , he gave his typical flub lover answer. The guy is'nt even in Bruce Levine's class reporting about baseball, grobstein does the sports scores for a sports radio station thats not even on all night long and never does interviews. So why would any sports writer in his right mind ask anything concerning whats going on with players, managers,coaches & owners to mess grobstein. The guy was fired from the whore radio station(wgn jr.)for stealing sports credentials for a sporting event so he could impress some bimbo. As far as getting his opinion about the White Sox he's made it known for years that he hates them and every chance the guys had he rips our beloved White Sox. The guys an idiot and should never have appeared in the same article with Bruce Levine.
Go White Sox

Foulke You
08-02-2002, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by ChiSoxBob
Why oh why would they ask mess grobstein's opinion on the state of baseball in Chicago , he gave his typical flub lover answer. The guy is'nt even in Bruce Levine's class reporting about baseball, grobstein does the sports scores for a sports radio station thats not even on all night long and never does interviews. So why would any sports writer in his right mind ask anything concerning whats going on with players, managers,coaches & owners to mess grobstein. The guy was fired from the whore radio station(wgn jr.)for stealing sports credentials for a sporting event so he could impress some bimbo. As far as getting his opinion about the White Sox he's made it known for years that he hates them and every chance the guys had he rips our beloved White Sox. The guys an idiot and should never have appeared in the same article with Bruce Levine.
Go White Sox

Couldn't have said it better. I remember how Les's undies got all in a bunch during last year's crosstown Wrigley series. Valentin was the anti-christ and Chris Singleton was the dirtiest player in baseball the way Grobstein saw it. A complete moron spouting garbage. At least Bruce Levine is a friggin' professional and reports objectively on both teams.

Grobber33
08-02-2002, 06:13 PM
First of all,thanks to Dr.Crawdad for forwarding me this subject and this board. Greg Couch asked me for MY oppinion yesterday and that's what I gave him. At the start of this season I picked the Sox to win the division by 5 games over Minn and by 8 over Cleveland.I picked the Cubs to finish 4th behind the Cards,Astros,and Reds. Therefore in MY oppinion,the Sox have been bigger flops than the Cubs--that does'nt mean I think the Cubs are better than the Sox---in fact they are'nt,I felt the Sox had the better team all along--but if some of you dont understand that or dont like someone else's HONEST oppinion--too bad! By the way, my good ESPN 1000 freinds Bruce Levine & Mark Silverman are also Cub Fans. Dave Wills,who I also consider a Friend and a terriffic Broadcaster(I had the honor of working UIC Hockey with him for 2 years)is not exactly what anyone can call unbiased when it comes to the Sox and Cubs. As far as the way I left the Score last year--if anyone thinks it was because of a Credential thing,I have a set of "2002 Sox vs Cubs World Series" Tickets you sell you for $1000 each! If I misused an Allstar Credential,then Major League Baseball would not have Credentialed myself this season,but they did--and they did so because they know that the two people who made that claim are full of baloney and it was an excuse for the GM(at the time) to not renew my contract. Anyone(except mabey 2 people)in the business knows that! If anyone cares,I have a much better contract with WCSN than I had-or ever would have had at the Score anyway.
I give the Sox as fair of coverage as anyone in town,and when you consider I get just as many Cub Fans complaining I favor the Sox as I get Sox fans griping,then I know that if nothing else,I'm doing a fair job for both teams.
Face it, they both(Sox and Cubs)are pitiful this year-but since I thought the Sox were the better team(with Cleve out of the mix)and the Cubs had too many questions,that's why the Sox are the bigger disapointment. LES GROBSTEIN

DrCrawdad
08-02-2002, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You

At least Bruce Levine is a friggin' professional and reports objectively on both teams.

Levine is a Cub VineLine writer too, which is interesting considering that he works for the Sox radio home.

I enjoyed Les' SCORE show. Les would probably disagree but IMO he certainly loves to tweak Sox fans.

BTW Les did view this thread. I emailed Les about it and he responded. I won't paste Les' remarks, but suffice to say he thinks Sox fans are too sensitive.

- DrCrawdad.

Daver
08-02-2002, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

Levine is a Cub VineLine writer too, which is interesting considering that he works for the Sox radio home.

I enjoyed Les' SCORE show. Les would probably disagree but IMO he certainly loves to tweak Sox fans.

BTW Les did view this thread. I emailed Les about it and he responded. I won't paste Les' remarks, but suffice to say he thinks Sox fans are too sensitive.

- DrCrawdad.

The Grobber was the only reason to listen to the Score,since his departure I am no longer a listener,even if he is a sCrUBS fan.

doublem23
08-02-2002, 06:39 PM
Face it, y'all... We live in Chicago...

The worst sports city in America. (as far as I've seen)

Everyone here is a moron.

DrCrawdad
08-02-2002, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Grobber33
First of all,thanks to Dr.Crawdad for forwarding me this subject and this board...

...By the way, my good ESPN 1000 freinds Bruce Levine & Mark Silverman are also Cub Fans. Dave Wills,who I also consider a Friend and a terriffic Broadcaster(I had the honor of working UIC Hockey with him for 2 years)is not exactly what anyone can call unbiased when it comes to the Sox and Cubs...

...As far as the way I left the Score last year--if anyone thinks it was because of a Credential thing,I have a set of "2002 Sox vs Cubs World Series" Tickets you sell you for $1000 each! ...

...I give the Sox as fair of coverage as anyone in town,and when you consider I get just as many Cub Fans complaining I favor the Sox as I get Sox fans griping,then I know that if nothing else,I'm doing a fair job for both teams...

...Face it, they both(Sox and Cubs)are pitiful this year...LES GROBSTEIN

:luis&nell
Welcome aboard Les!

Do I get some kind of a finder's fee for directing Les over here?

Les, if I had a spare grand I'd gladly buy those tickets. But since I'm (still) unemployed I can't afford them at the moment.

Les I hope this isn't your first and last post here. I'd like to read your comments here on the Sox. We have other Cub fans who post here, so you won't be the lone Cubs fan.

Your friend,
DrCrawdad.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
08-02-2002, 06:51 PM
I defenitely think the Sox are the biggest dissappointment. Everyone expects the Flubbs to fall on their ass, but this was supposed to be the Sox's year.

Foulke You
08-02-2002, 09:31 PM
First of all,thanks to Dr.Crawdad for forwarding me this subject and this board. Greg Couch asked me for MY oppinion yesterday and that's what I gave him. At the start of this season I picked the Sox to win the division by 5 games over Minn and by 8 over Cleveland.I picked the Cubs to finish 4th behind the Cards,Astros,and Reds. Therefore in MY oppinion,the Sox have been bigger flops than the Cubs--that does'nt mean I think the Cubs are better than the Sox---in fact they are'nt,I felt the Sox had the better team all along--but if some of you dont understand that or dont like someone else's HONEST oppinion--too bad! By the way, my good ESPN 1000 freinds Bruce Levine & Mark Silverman are also Cub Fans. Dave Wills,who I also consider a Friend and a terriffic Broadcaster(I had the honor of working UIC Hockey with him for 2 years)is not exactly what anyone can call unbiased when it comes to the Sox and Cubs. As far as the way I left the Score last year--if anyone thinks it was because of a Credential thing,I have a set of "2002 Sox vs Cubs World Series" Tickets you sell you for $1000 each! If I misused an Allstar Credential,then Major League Baseball would not have Credentialed myself this season,but they did--and they did so because they know that the two people who made that claim are full of baloney and it was an excuse for the GM(at the time) to not renew my contract. Anyone(except mabey 2 people)in the business knows that! If anyone cares,I have a much better contract with WCSN than I had-or ever would have had at the Score anyway.
I give the Sox as fair of coverage as anyone in town,and when you consider I get just as many Cub Fans complaining I favor the Sox as I get Sox fans griping,then I know that if nothing else,I'm doing a fair job for both teams.
Face it, they both(Sox and Cubs)are pitiful this year-but since I thought the Sox were the better team(with Cleve out of the mix)and the Cubs had too many questions,that's why the Sox are the bigger disapointment. LES GROBSTEIN

Les, I'm happy you chose to come here into enemy territory but don't expect me to heap praise on you. I'm still entitled to my opinions. I can't comment on the whole "credential" thing and frankly I don't care. I CAN comment on the way you report. I happen to like Bruce Levine better and Dave Wills even more but I do aknowledge his Sox bias. The fact that Levine is a Cubs fan is news to me because of the way he reports. I've never once detected him leaning towards one or the other or taking shots at the Sox, Comiskey Park, or Sox fans the way I've seen/heard you do on countless occasions like so many of the Cub loving media. (Too many to count) You bleed Cubby blue and it shows. Call me paranoid if you like.

Also, the fact that we're all arguing about who is a bigger Chicago baseball failure/disappointment is truly pathetic. I think I hear people in NY laughing their collective @$$es off.

kevingrt
08-02-2002, 09:59 PM

Welcome Les to the best Sox site in America, and not a bad post...

And man you do a great job on TSN Radio, I love you anywhere you do radio broadcasting, Score or TSN

DVG
08-02-2002, 11:34 PM
I've always liked Les Grobstein. He was my favorite on the Score
along with Murphy. I was mad that they fired him but still see fit
to employ a drooling, drunken, babbling moron like North. He may
have hyperventilated a bit after the Cubs-Sox series at Wrigley
last year, but so what? He's always been fair to the White Sox,
unlike the idiot who, after the first two Cubs-Sox games at Wrig-
ley last year, devoted two articles to saying what vile, rotten
scum the White Sox and their fans were. He all but called for the
public execution of that unholy blasphemer Valentin.

I remember in July of 2000, as Sox fans fretted about that razor-
thin 10 1/2 game lead and most of the media (hopefully) pre-
dicted the Sox' demise, Grobstein bravely said on his show that
the Sox would win the AL Central. In June of last year, as the
media and Jay Mariotti made their 2001 World Series plans, Les
stated on his show that the Cubs, then in first place, would not
be in the playoffs. He was correct on both counts. So I'd say he's
a pretty fair and objective reporter.

I also remember another moment on his show last year. A Cub
fan called and brought up the 1984 playoffs. The fan tried to
whine about how the Cubs had the home-field advantage taken
away from them and Grobstein said "the series was scheduled
that way!" Thank you, Les, for remembering and reporting that
correctly, which two of your Score colleagues did not. It indicated
to me that he has no patience for delusional people.

I'll admit I disagreed with him on occasion. One such time was
when he spoke with trembling voice about the 2000 playoffs,
when Sox fans held up signs saying "what's the attendance
at Wrigley today?" Les seemed upset that such monsters would
do that. He didn't realize, of course, that through the whole
year, as the Sox were running away with the division, all that
Sox fans got was abuse and sarcasm from the media about
attendance , and how the last place Cubs were drawing loyal
fans to the holy shrine. By October, enough was enough. The
frustration had peaked, I'm sure. Who can blame a few fans
for taking a shot like that? It was their response to the jerks
and idiots that pass for sports reporters in this town.

My point (and I just remembered that I have one) is that Les
Grobstein is one of the fairest sports reporters in the city. I
don't think he'll post here again, but I hope he does. I'll be
interested in anything he has to say, even if I don't agree
with it.

Nellie_Fox
08-03-2002, 12:31 AM
I'm not going to get all kissy-face with the Grobber, but I do welcome him to the board, and hope he becomes a regular, because when it comes to baseball facts and figures, he's the rainman.

DVG
08-03-2002, 01:08 AM
I'm not playing kissyface, either. I just think he's a good reporter.

WinningUgly!
08-03-2002, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by DVG
I'm not playing kissyface, either. I just think he's a good reporter.

There's no doubt about it, Les knows his Chicago sports. It's just too bad he sees it all through them sCrUBBY-blue colored glasses. :D:

Welcome aboard Grobber. I'll give you this...you had the "stones" to come here & say your piece under your real name. Few others in your position would do such a thing.

Nellie_Fox
08-03-2002, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Welcome aboard Grobber. I'll give you this...you had the "stones" to come here & say your piece under your real name. Few others in your position would do such a thing. True dat.

doublem23
08-03-2002, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
True dat.

There's something I never would have expected to see.

voodoochile
08-03-2002, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by doublem23

There's something I never would have expected to see.

Are you kidding? Nellie puts the hep in hip-hop...

:D:

Nellie_Fox
08-03-2002, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Are you kidding? Nellie puts the hep in hip-hop...

:D: lmao!!!!!