PDA

View Full Version : Robin says, he's not leaving...

Lip Man 1
06-08-2013, 03:23 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0609-white-sox-athletics-chicago-20130609,0,4646865.story

Lip

RKMeibalane
06-08-2013, 03:41 PM
*evil laugh*

tstrike2000
06-08-2013, 05:03 PM
Robin's made some trivial decisions at times, mainly based on inexperience I think, but he can't do much about an offense that stinks.

Red Barchetta
06-08-2013, 05:33 PM
The SOX organization have the right man for the right time. A likeable, ex-player with a laid back demeanor who the press won't beat up too badly during this rebuilding period.

Unfortunately, this rebuilding period is going to last longer than Ventura's contract.

amsteel
06-08-2013, 05:58 PM
I would want to stay at my 8 month a year, multi million dollar paying job too. This writer obviously needed a story by a deadline.

In the bigger picture, if the Sox decide to go into full rebuild mode in 2014, do they want to go into it with a manager with 2 year of so-so experience dealing with mostly veteran teams or do you bring in someone with rebuild experience? Not saying that sticking with RV wrong be the wrong decision, just a thought.

From a marketing standpoint, I don't think they get rid of Ventura anytime soon.

blandman
06-08-2013, 06:10 PM
I swear, I had nothing to do with this article!

voodoochile
06-08-2013, 06:26 PM
I would want to stay at my 8 month a year, multi million dollar paying job too. This writer obviously needed a story by a deadline.

In the bigger picture, if the Sox decide to go into full rebuild mode in 2014, do they want to go into it with a manager with 2 year of so-so experience dealing with mostly veteran teams or do you bring in someone with rebuild experience? Not saying that sticking with RV wrong be the wrong decision, just a thought.

From a marketing standpoint, I don't think they get rid of Ventura anytime soon.

Depends on what "rebuilding" means. If it means tearing it down to scratch and starting over then probably not, but I don't see the Sox doing that. They will shed some high end contracts and sign some new FA. I just cant see them going to full rebuild mode for two reasons:

1. They don't have the minor league players to do ti with.

2. Their pitching staff could be quite good for a few more years at least. Danks, Sale, Quintana, Santiago, Axelrod, Reed and even Jones are fine pieces to build a pitching staff around. I assume Floyd is gone and I don't see Peavy coming back unless he gives them a nice discount, but I imagine he wants to go somewhere he has a serious shot at a title. I won't be shocked if he signs with the Yankees actually, but could see both the Giants and Cardinals making a run at him and there are probably plenty of other teams would love to have him who are a stud 1/2 starter from making a serious run at the whole thing.

RKMeibalane
06-08-2013, 06:50 PM
I swear, I had nothing to do with this article!

No, but you were the reason for my evil laugh earlier in the thread.

DSpivack
06-08-2013, 06:58 PM
Depends on what "rebuilding" means. If it means tearing it down to scratch and starting over then probably not, but I don't see the Sox doing that. They will shed some high end contracts and sign some new FA. I just cant see them going to full rebuild mode for two reasons:

1. They don't have the minor league players to do ti with.

2. Their pitching staff could be quite good for a few more years at least. Danks, Sale, Quintana, Santiago, Axelrod, Reed and even Jones are fine pieces to build a pitching staff around. I assume Floyd is gone and I don't see Peavy coming back unless he gives them a nice discount, but I imagine he wants to go somewhere he has a serious shot at a title. I won't be shocked if he signs with the Yankees actually, but could see both the Giants and Cardinals making a run at him and there are probably plenty of other teams would love to have him who are a stud 1/2 starter from making a serious run at the whole thing.

I would like to see the Sox have an offseason like the Red Sox did this past winter, although they don't have quite as much money to spend (though the Sox do not have much in the way of long-term contracts). Sign a number of quality free agents to short-term deals to compete in the short and medium term, while putting more effort into developing young talent on the farm.

doublem23
06-09-2013, 12:13 AM
I would like to see the Sox have an offseason like the Red Sox did this past winter, although they don't have quite as much money to spend (though the Sox do not have much in the way of long-term contracts). Sign a number of quality free agents to short-term deals to compete in the short and medium term, while putting more effort into developing young talent on the farm.

That would be nice though I don't think we'll see the Sox make any kind of moves until after 2014 when almost all the moneys comes off the books

DSpivack
06-09-2013, 12:15 AM
That would be nice though I don't think we'll see the Sox make any kind of moves until after 2014 when almost all the moneys comes off the books

Still only $75 million on the books for 2014, and that's without any trades.

Irishsox1
06-10-2013, 12:27 PM
After the craziness of Ozzie, I'm not surprised the Sox went with someone like Robin. I'm just surprised that Robin took the job considering he's never managed or full time coached at any professional level.

Noneck
06-10-2013, 02:35 PM
Ill only believe it after he reups his current contract.

blandman
06-10-2013, 02:42 PM
No, but you were the reason for my evil laugh earlier in the thread.

Haha...yeah. Though I'm sure some would still argue that I was "trolling" instead of actually seeing this as a possibility in the likely scenario that we fell flat on our face (which we also have).

So far looks like he's staying with the sinking ship, though.

SCCWS
06-10-2013, 03:37 PM

One major difference. The Red Sox had a solid core of quality everyday players and pitchers going in. You say they signed quality free agents. So far Napoli, Carp, and Victorino have produced, Drew has been okay and Gomes has been lousy. From a pitching standpoint, they have had some success from a few new guys in the pen but Dempster has been mediocre
But Ortiz, Pedroia, Ellsbury, Nava and Saltalamacchia are all having big years as have Buchholz and Lester.
Today's Providence Journal said a lot of credit goes to a much better coaching staff especially the advanced scouts.

blandman
06-10-2013, 04:21 PM
One major difference. The Red Sox had a solid core of quality everyday players and pitchers going in. You say they signed quality free agents. So far Napoli, Carp, and Victorino have produced, Drew has been okay and Gomes has been lousy. From a pitching standpoint, they have had some success from a few new guys in the pen but Dempster has been mediocre
But Ortiz, Pedroia, Ellsbury, Nava and Saltalamacchia are all having big years as have Buchholz and Lester.
Today's Providence Journal said a lot of credit goes to a much better coaching staff especially the advanced scouts.

Exactly. Our team is not a small spending spree away from contending. We've got a core of one starter, one reliever, and an aging outfielder. Everyone else is either gone next year, useless, or at the very least in need of an upgrade if we're to compete. Using the free agent market to get there isn't viable. You need a solid core of several players first.

doublem23
06-10-2013, 04:23 PM
Exactly. Our team is not a small spending spree away from contending. We've got a core of one starter, one reliever, and an aging outfielder. Everyone else is either gone next year, useless, or at the very least in need of an upgrade if we're to compete. Using the free agent market to get there isn't viable. You need a solid core of several players first.

The Sox don't have to compete with the Yankees and Rays, either. We just have to find a way to be better than Detroit. Not nearly as challenging.

blandman
06-10-2013, 04:41 PM
The Sox don't have to compete with the Yankees and Rays, either. We just have to find a way to be better than Detroit. Not nearly as challenging.

I disagree with that assessment. I'd much rather compete with the Yanks and Rays, at least over the next three years. Neither is likely a match for the Tigers for that time frame.

Now, in the future ten years from now? Of course. But the Tiger's are positioned to be the league favorites for the next few years, barring some catastrophic injuries to players without a history of injuries.

Tragg
06-11-2013, 11:43 PM
It shouldn't be his decision. He's managed like an amateur this year and the team has executed poorly.

BainesHOF
06-11-2013, 11:54 PM
It shouldn't be his decision. He's managed like an amateur this year and the team has executed poorly.

Bingo!

mrwag
06-17-2013, 02:23 PM

A couple of clutch hits and a little better D and the record could be a lot different due to all of the very close games the Sox have lost. You can't blame that on the manager, and I believe those are the keys to the poor play this year. Yea, there are some questionable moves on his part, but that's debatable in the outcomes. Big money players stranding runners and botching plays are done on the field, not on the bench.

Lip Man 1
06-17-2013, 02:53 PM
Mrwag:

But who makes out the lineup? Who continues to tolerate mental mistakes seemingly on a daily basis?

I don't blame Robin at all for the lack of talent on the roster. I do hold him accountable for how whatever talent there is, is used.

Lip

LITTLE NELL
06-17-2013, 03:09 PM
I was never wild about the hiring of RV but looking at the big picture he is a very small part of the problem.

Tragg
06-17-2013, 03:24 PM
If this was a football team, and the team constantly missed tackles and blocking assignments, and called absurd plays, would the coach not be held accountable?

The season's cooked. Really all I want from him now is to stop pitching these young starters over 100 innings for no real benefit.

BainesHOF
06-18-2013, 10:09 AM
Really all I want from him now is to stop pitching these young starters over 100 innings for no real benefit.

I agree. This makes no sense. It was inexcusable to let Sale, a guy who missed a recent start due to arm trouble, throw so many pitches in his last outing. It's not about letting Sale stay in the game to get a possible deserved win. That's the thought of an amateur, of someone who is more worried about what players will think of him than doing what's best for the team.

I've been troubled by Ventura's game pitching decisions and how much input Cooper has. I think Cooper is a great pitching coach in preparing a pitcher for success. However, I have no faith in Cooper's judgement during a game. Ventura's handling of pitchers has been bad and Cooper has his fingerprints on that.