PDA

View Full Version : Has Hawk become Ron Santo?

Viva Medias B's
06-07-2013, 08:59 PM
Especially lately as we have been very bad, Hawk has been getting more and more filled with angst. Whether it was "NOOOOOOOO!" over Angel Hernandez's call at first base a few weeks ago or his reaction to Adam Dunn's home run that wasn't, he is sounding more and more like Ron Santo to me. In fact, if a Sox game were to end like the Cubs game in which Brant Brown dropped the ball, it might sound like this:

:hawk
"Bottom of the 9th at Comerica, Sox leading 4-2, sacks packed with Tigers, two out...Cabrera hits it to left playable, and when this ball comes down this game is OV.....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! DADGUMMIT!!!!!!!!!!............................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................and the Tigers win it 5-4 on the dropped ball by Tank..........we'll be back."

Every Hawk outburst is now played on sports talk radio over and over again. And it's not just Boers & Bernstein where it happens.

Jurr
06-07-2013, 09:13 PM
For a fan, watching a Sox game for the past three years (save a few great months here and there) has felt like being held down while three people kick you and steal your wallet.

For an aging man that A.)loves the team more than anyone alive and B.)must watch every game, I'd say it could quickly deteriorate one's mind.

RKMeibalane
06-07-2013, 09:19 PM
Let me know once he has an orgasm on the air. I'm convinced Santo creamed himself following a Bill Mueller home run in 2001.

Frater Perdurabo
06-07-2013, 09:33 PM
I don't think he's there, yet, but I do think its time to work on an exit transition plan before things get much worse.

RKMeibalane
06-07-2013, 09:45 PM
I don't think he's there, yet, but I do think its time to work on an exit transition plan before things get much worse.

I tend to agree, but who do the Sox replace him with? Any chance Rooney would agree to come back? I know he's always done primarily radio, but I'd love to have him call Sox games again.

Frater Perdurabo
06-07-2013, 09:48 PM
I tend to agree, but who do the Sox replace him with? Any chance Rooney would agree to come back? I know he's always done primarily radio, but I'd love to have him call Sox games again.

Doubt Rooney leaves STL. Likely the same with Wills in TB. Those two would be my first two choices. If not them, how about Wayne Hagin?

Railsplitter
06-07-2013, 09:50 PM
Harrelson more turkey than hawk.

asindc
06-07-2013, 09:55 PM
No.

RKMeibalane
06-07-2013, 09:55 PM
:chimp

"I could do it!"

:ohno

"But you won't."

StillMissOzzie
06-07-2013, 09:59 PM
I really think he's hurting, watching the team play so poorly for what seem like longer and longer stretches of futility. I also think he is getting a bit tired of spouting the party line and trying to blow sunshine up our asses regarding this team. He actually called the offense "inept" this evening.

SMO
:gulp:

RKMeibalane
06-07-2013, 10:13 PM
I really think he's hurting, watching the team play so poorly for what seem like longer and longer stretches of futility. I also think he is getting a bit tired of spouting the party line and trying to blow sunshine up our asses regarding this team. He actually called the offense "inept" this evening.

SMO

On other thing to keep in mind is that Hawk has long served as Jerry Reinsdorf's mouthpiece. He never says anything unless it reflects Reinsdorf's feelings about the club, which is part of the reason why JR was so hard on him last season after his umpiring outburst. If Hawk is avoiding negative comments about the team, it's likely because that's what he's been told to do. If he called the team's offense inept, that probably means JR is pissed about the offense's futility.

Lip Man 1
06-07-2013, 10:23 PM
As long as JR owns the team Hawk isn't going anywhere and remember he just signed a new four year deal before the season started.

As far as Dave he has (had) supporters on the staff, JR apparently wasn't one of them and when push comes to shove he has 51% of the vote.

Lip

DSpivack
06-07-2013, 10:32 PM
As long as JR owns the team Hawk isn't going anywhere and remember he just signed a new four year deal before the season started.

As far as Dave he has (had) supporters on the staff, JR apparently wasn't one of them and when push comes to shove he has 51% of the vote.

Lip

I'm sure it's more fun calling that Rays team, anyway.

RKMeibalane
06-07-2013, 10:37 PM

Lip

Why is this? Dave did a good job when he worked in the studio.

Lip Man 1
06-07-2013, 10:41 PM
That's one of the great unanswerable question of all time? LOL.

Seriously I don't know and apparently neither does Dave. Dave's supporters pitched him to JR but could never get his 'blessing.'

The idea of Dave returning has sailed in my opinion. I think he's established in Tampa, making a good living for him and his family and I don't think he's return to just do three innings or so as basically a caddy for Hawk or Farmer. If the Sox were ever to come to him and offer the primary announcers gig he'd consider it maybe...but again as long as JR owns the team, Hawk will be the main TV guy so the point is moot.

Lip

BainesHOF
06-07-2013, 10:43 PM
I've always liked Hawk, but this really should be his final season. Beyond his comical reactions, which have turned into spectacles, he's regularly making mistakes about number of outs, score, etc. The organization should not allow an old man to embarrass himself.

LITTLE NELL
06-08-2013, 05:32 AM
The whole organization needs to go, JR please sell the team.

Dan H
06-08-2013, 06:49 AM
The whole organization needs to go, JR please sell the team.

I agree that JR needs to sell. Short of that, the organization needs an overhaul. The team is sliding in so many ways, and someone needs to come in and make real changes. To go on like this is insane.

As far as Hawk goes, once in a while you get honesty. But he seems desperate for anything good to happen and it shows when he gets excited about long outs that still don't have a chance of being a home run or even a double.

soltrain21
06-08-2013, 07:05 AM
Let me know once he has an orgasm on the air. I'm convinced Santo creamed himself following a Bill Mueller home run in 2001.

Are you forgetting his call for Mark's perfect game? It was uncomfortable.

Viva Medias B's
06-08-2013, 08:08 AM
I agree that JR needs to sell. Short of that, the organization needs an overhaul. The team is sliding in so many ways, and someone needs to come in and make real changes. To go on like this is insane.

As far as Hawk goes, once in a while you get honesty. But he seems desperate for anything good to happen and it shows when he gets excited about long outs that still don't have a chance of being a home run or even a double.

JR doesn't necessarily need to sell at this point, but he needs to institute a housecleaning.

RKMeibalane
06-08-2013, 08:29 AM
Are you forgetting his call for Mark's perfect game? It was uncomfortable.

You know what? I don't think I've ever heard it. What did he say or do? Do I want to know?

SephClone89
06-08-2013, 08:41 AM
You know what? I don't think I've ever heard it. What did he say or do? Do I want to know?

...Seriously?

nsolo
06-08-2013, 08:50 AM

Are you joking?

RKMeibalane
06-08-2013, 08:56 AM
...Seriously?

Are you joking?

I'm serious. I've never heard the call.

The Critic
06-08-2013, 08:59 AM
"ALEXEIIII.......YESSS!!!! YES! YES!! YES!!! YES!!!!!!!.........HISTORY!!!!!"

It was very, very Ron Santo.

RKMeibalane
06-08-2013, 09:06 AM
"ALEXEIIII.......YESSS!!!! YES! YES!! YES!!! YES!!!!!!!.........HISTORY!!!!!"

It was very, very Ron Santo.

I'll have to find it on YouTube and watch or listen to it. It certainly looks bad, but I'll have to see how it sounds.

gobears1987
06-08-2013, 09:38 AM

He did it in 2005 with the Crede walkoff.

Domeshot17
06-08-2013, 09:49 AM
Oh I think he has passed up Santo, and Sox fans are to Hawk what Cub fans were to Santo, the only group not in on the joke.

RKMeibalane
06-08-2013, 09:55 AM
Oh I think he has passed up Santo, and Sox fans are to Hawk what Cub fans were to Santo, the only group not in on the joke.

How are any of us not in on the joke? I think most people know that he sucks.

Lip Man 1
06-08-2013, 10:45 AM
It would be worth listening to and comparing Hawk's call of the final out of the perfect game to Dave's for the Tampa network.

Lip

PaleHoser
06-08-2013, 10:51 AM
Play any random clip of Bob Uecker as Harry Doyle in "Major League" when the Tribe was going bad and it would probably fit this club right now. And I might be more inclined to tune in.

Regarding a replacement for Hawk, as long as JR owns this team it will be a former Sox player. He'd probably hire Ozzie.

hawkjt
06-08-2013, 12:12 PM
I have always defended Hawk,but even I am starting to struggle listening to Hawk during this last month or so.

He is ok when the team is doing ok,but hard to listen to in a losing streak like this. He sounds too desperate.

His continual predictions of a huge impact with Gordo's return started to sound kind of delusional. We all know he loves Gordo,and his family,but I think he actually added pressure on Gordo,who himself tried to distance himself from the savior role this week in his quotes.

It is very hard to like anything about Sox baseball the last two weeks,so I will wait until they come out of this tailspin before supporting a wholesale housecleaning,but right now that looks good...from top to bottom.

Lip Man 1
06-08-2013, 12:30 PM
I will wait until they come out of this tailspin before supporting a wholesale housecleaning,but right now that looks good...from top to bottom.

"Therein lies the rub" - Bill Shakespeare

I truly believe you'll get the rebuilding process starting in a month but a housecleaning from top to bottom?

Not as long as JR owns the team and that's unfortunate. "It's time" (LOL) for new ideas, new faces, new sets of eyes looking at the problems from outside the organization. Folks who have no ties, zero...none to the White Sox.

Lip

dickallen15
06-08-2013, 12:50 PM

Buehrles perfect game. His yesses at the end matched Meg Ryan's in her oragasm seen in When Harry Met Sally. For the record, I love Hawk

BigKlu59
06-08-2013, 01:20 PM
Yup, Hawk has reached the "Hey you kids, get off of the Damn lawn" season in his life.. Even his anecdotal Hawkisms are gettin old.. Its sad when these guys get to the point where they sound like the character in the movie "Everybodys All American" reliving their own exploits. We know Hawk, those 67 Red Sox were a damn fine team..Um, they also caught a few breaks too,.

Sad to lose him in favour of a cookie cutter talking head, but that seems to be the MLB way. Have to hand it to a picture painter like Scully. The guy has survived talking a baseball in the context of the game itself without all of the new bangs and whistles and over the top colour commentary. Maybe thats how my ear grew up listening to guys like him and Elson describing the game.

I as well think its time to turn the page. Nell has it right. A big catharsis is in order.. Watching this team is like watching a faithful old dog die. You know its right to put it down, but the Mutt has always been there for ya and in your heart of hearts you just cant do it...

BK59

LITTLE NELL
06-08-2013, 02:13 PM
Yup, Hawk has reached the "Hey you kids, get off of the Damn lawn" season in his life.. Even his anecdotal Hawkisms are gettin old.. Its sad when these guys get to the point where they sound like the character in the movie "Everybodys All American" reliving their own exploits. We know Hawk, those 67 Red Sox were a damn fine team..Um, they also caught a few breaks too,.

Sad to lose him in favour of a cookie cutter talking head, but that seems to be the MLB way. Have to hand it to a picture painter like Scully. The guy has survived talking a baseball in the context of the game itself without all of the new bangs and whistles and over the top colour commentary. Maybe thats how my ear grew up listening to guys like him and Elson describing the game.

I as well think its time to turn the page. Nell has it right. A big catharsis is in order.. Watching this team is like watching a faithful old dog die. You know its right to put it down, but the Mutt has always been there for ya and in your heart of hearts you just cant do it...

BK59

Klu, Some think that the Commander was boring but I thought he was damn good, the game, without getting too emotional about it, was the all important thing. He got a little excited for a White Sox Wallop and a box of White Owl Cigars. Never heard the man knock a player. "Remember fans, that errors like runs and hits are all part of this great game."

StillMissOzzie
06-08-2013, 02:19 PM
That's one of the great unanswerable question of all time? LOL.

Seriously I don't know and apparently neither does Dave. Dave's supporters pitched him to JR but could never get his 'blessing.'

The idea of Dave returning has sailed in my opinion. I think he's established in Tampa, making a good living for him and his family and I don't think he's return to just do three innings or so as basically a caddy for Hawk or Farmer. If the Sox were ever to come to him and offer the primary announcers gig he'd consider it maybe...but again as long as JR owns the team, Hawk will be the main TV guy so the point is moot.

Lip

I'd be fine if they offered him the radio gig if it got Farmer off the air.

SMO

RKMeibalane
06-08-2013, 02:44 PM
I'd be fine if they offered him the radio gig if it got Farmer off the air.

SMO

If Farmer goes, he can take DJ with him. I can't take anymore of his singing, his horrible home run calls, or the way he randomly blurts out, "ka-doob-lee-woo," or whatever the hell he says every broadcast. I wish Rooney were still around, but he has a nice gig in St. Louis, where he doesn't have to deal with the perpetual bull**** that always seems to dog the Sox organization. Of course, where there's ****, there has to be a farm animal of some sort.

:reinsy <----------------------------------------- Undisputed farm animal

DumpJerry
06-08-2013, 03:06 PM
Has Hawk become Santo? Nope. Not even close. He is also missing the element of being a fan favorite player of the team who whined every time the HOF vote passed him up.

When Hawks dies, will the White Sox fanbase act as if they lost their closest friend ever and make him out to be the male version of Mother Theresa? Nope. Hell, he's not even Harry Caray. He's just Hawk.

Steelrod
06-08-2013, 03:16 PM
When's the last time he gave somone a nickname? He's slipping, ready for the pasture.

slavko
06-08-2013, 04:33 PM
When's the last time he gave somone a nickname? He's slipping, ready for the pasture.

El Stallion would beg to differ with that. Not that Alex Rios would know what the heck it meant, because the Spanish word for stallion is semental.

DSpivack
06-08-2013, 06:04 PM
El Stallion would beg to differ with that. Not that Alex Rios would know what the heck it meant, because the Spanish word for stallion is semental.

That's not even that creative, it sounds too much like El Caballo.

RKMeibalane
06-08-2013, 06:11 PM
That's not even that creative, it sounds too much like El Caballo.

I stopped calling him that after he was picked off third base in 2002. From then on, he was El Stupido.

DSpivack
06-08-2013, 07:23 PM
I stopped calling him that after he was picked off third base in 2002. From then on, he was El Stupido.

When it comes to intelligence, horses aren't exactly dolphins.

RadioheadRocks
06-08-2013, 09:51 PM
Has Hawk become Santo? Nope. Not even close. He is also missing the element of being a fan favorite player of the team who whined every time the HOF vote passed him up.

When Hawks dies, will the White Sox fanbase act as if they lost their closest friend ever and make him out to be the male version of Mother Theresa? Nope. Hell, he's not even Harry Caray. He's just Hawk.

This.

Dan H
06-09-2013, 12:08 PM
In the 4-1 win over Oakland, Hawk treated Rios' run-scoring in the 8th as if it was the World Series. Yes, it was a clutch hit, but the description was a little overboard. Hawk has not become Santo. He has become desperate. For almost anything.

RKMeibalane
06-09-2013, 02:41 PM
In the 4-1 win over Oakland, Hawk treated Rios' run-scoring in the 8th as if it was the World Series. Yes, it was a clutch hit, but the description was a little overboard. Hawk has not become Santo. He has become desperate. For almost anything.

That I can relate to, as I'm desperate to be rid of Squawk once and for all. :cool:

shingo10
06-09-2013, 06:42 PM
Personally, it'll be a devastating day for me when Hawk isn't our broadcaster anymore.

His passion and his sheer joy when the Sox are winning and his sheer agony when they are not strike a chord with me as I feel those emotions right along with him.

Do I think his old time stories and some of his thoughts on how to be successful in baseball are BS? Of course but it is entertaining BS.

That being said he should never be compared to Santo from a broadcasting side. All Santo offered for analysis was "yeah" and then he just rooted for the Cubs. Hawk roots for the White Sox but offers tons of analysis throughout the game and is perceptive to situations and other teams players. Its comparing apples to oranges and frankly an insult to Hawk to compare him to Santo.

When Mike Huff and Steve Stone were calling the games I could not watch. It was pitiful.

TomBradley72
06-09-2013, 07:34 PM
Hawk is definitely declining- but of the 4 radio/TV announcers they have- he is by far the best- Stone is knowledgable, but not very interesting or entertaining to listen to.

The drop in chemistry from the weekend when Paciorek as in the booth is pretty dramatic.

Farmer/DJ has to be one of the worst radio teams in MLB- I only listen when I have no other option- I am almost always completely annoyed within the first half inning.

Get rid of Stone, Farmer and DJ before letting Hawk go.

One more area of this organization that needs to be completely overhauled.

TDog
06-09-2013, 07:41 PM

So Harrelson has become Jack Brickhouse -- the Cubs' Brickhouse, I am really too young to speak to the Brickhouse that did White Sox games, but I don't see why Hey-Hey and the rising pitch in his voice with the increased excitement would have been reserved for Wrigley when WGN was doing the home games on both sides of town.

Ron Santo wasn't simply a homer. He was an incompetent communicator approaching the end. Harrelson is the butt of a lot of jokes in other major league cities, but he's not the but of the same jokes Santo was the butt of.

The A's announcers were sort of on Harrelson this weekend because they pride themselves on not being homers. But Ray Fosse spent a good deal of time this weekend complaining about calls and the demeanor of the umpires and such, although he kept a steady, unexcited voice. He must have mentioned late in the Saturday and Sunday games maybe 20 times that the A's should have a chance against Reed because he gave up five runs in one inning in Seattle. He was talking Sunday about the umpires depriving the A's of a win Saturday.

As much as I dislike Harrelson as an announcer, I dislike most other baseball announcers at least as much.

Lip Man 1
06-09-2013, 08:00 PM
I am really too young to speak to the Brickhouse that did White Sox games, but I don't see why Hey-Hey and the rising pitch in his voice with the increased excitement would have been reserved for Wrigley when WGN was doing the home games on both sides of town.

As someone who has TV audio of Jack doing games in my library and have posted such on this web site, I can tell you Jack was as happy when the Sox won as he was in his later years just doing the Cubs.

Lip

LITTLE NELL
06-09-2013, 08:11 PM
As someone who has TV audio of Jack doing games in my library and have posted such on this web site, I can tell you Jack was as happy when the Sox won as he was in his later years just doing the Cubs.

Lip

Agreed, I'll never forget his call of the Aparicio to Klu DP to win the 59 pennant. I still get goosebumps when I hear it.
Can be heard on WSI Audio Memories.

BainesHOF
06-09-2013, 09:36 PM

Yes, he's been doing that lately whenever the team does anything good. It's a bit much. It reeks of desperation.

I just think Hawk's becoming weird in old age. I'm not one who minds old stories about old players, but Hawk is now mentioning Ted Williams a handful of times every week. I'm embarrassed for him.

I'd like to see Hawk removed from the booth and made a team ambassador.

Lip Man 1
06-09-2013, 10:49 PM
Agreed, I'll never forget his call of the Aparicio to Klu DP to win the 59 pennant. I still get goosebumps when I hear it.
Can be heard on WSI Audio Memories.

Nell:

I know. I put it there. :D:

In fact I have the entire WGN-TV audio of the entire top and bottom of the 9th inning from that night along with about two minutes of the 10th inning show.

Lip

Golden Sox
06-10-2013, 09:26 AM
I just hope that Hawk doesn't stay around too long like Harry Caray did. I thought it was terrible when Caray kept calling Andre Dawson, Andre Rogers. One of the reasons I like Hawk is he is a total White Sox fan. He might be the only total White Sox fan in the entire Chicago media. Considering how the Chicago media favors the bad guys on the Northside, I'm glad to have somebody on the side of the White Sox.

beasly213
06-10-2013, 09:44 AM
Meh, I like Hawk. He has a good broadcasting voice, a good pace, and he has some great calls. His Hawkisms are a part of the White Sox and a part of the fan base. When attending games Iíll always here ďHe gone!Ē after big strike outs, ďYou can put it on the boardÖĒ etc.. Even people who claim to hate Hawk Iím sure have said those things being fans of the team.

He is pretty crazy sometimes with calls but thatís because heís a giant fan of the team just like the rest of us. Iím sure Iíve sounded like a crazy person screaming at the TV after bad calls, or almost home runs too. I know people say ďBut heís a broadcaster heís supposed to be a pro!Ē Well, heís a homer, he admits it, and he isnít going to change. Good for him. Iíve heard other people talk about how its embarrassing to have Hawk as the Sox announcer. To that I say, who the hell cares what sports talk shows like Bores and Bernstein and websites like deadspin have to say about Hawk. If you havenít noticed those guys and that site make fun of everything, itís kinda their thingÖ

Itíll be a sad day when I donít get to hear ďYou can put it on the booooooard YES!Ē after a White Sox Home Run.

24thStFan
06-10-2013, 09:51 AM
I only get to listen to Hawk and Stone on games broadcast by WGN, so it's not an everyday thing. I love the passion Hawk displays because as others have posted it mirrors my feelings. And the rapport between them has been better this year. They actually talk to one another during games...big improvement.

I listen to lots of games on XM radio. And Farmer and DJ are terrible. They try to be funny but it comes off as silly. Even my wife who's not a big fan commented about how silly those two sound.

I say fix the radio crew first. Use any changes on the radio as an audition for the inevitable successor to Hawk. We won't have him forever.

FoulTerritory
06-10-2013, 10:17 AM
Hawk is definitely declining- but of the 4 radio/TV announcers they have- he is by far the best- Stone is knowledgable, but not very interesting or entertaining to listen to.

Its the game that is supposed to be "entertaining," not the announcer.

kittle42
06-10-2013, 10:26 AM

Boring announcers can make games boring (see Farmer, Ed) - otherwise, what's the difference among them all?

asindc
06-10-2013, 10:34 AM

If you had to listen to the "paint-drying" quality of some of the vanilla announcers out there, you might disagree.

Lip Man 1
06-10-2013, 10:36 AM
I just hope that Hawk doesn't stay around too long like Harry Caray did. I thought it was terrible when Caray kept calling Andre Dawson, Andre Rogers. One of the reasons I like Hawk is he is a total White Sox fan. He might be the only total White Sox fan in the entire Chicago media. Considering how the Chicago media favors the bad guys on the Northside, I'm glad to have somebody on the side of the White Sox.

Ed Sherman, Dan Jiggetts and Chuck Garfein are Sox fans down to the bone.

Lip

JimmyJames
06-10-2013, 10:45 AM
My friends and I were discussing this at the game yesterday and we concluded that the reasonable replacement for Hawk would be a Hawk Robot. All you have to do is program all the stories, catch phrases, and "Yaz" drops in and no one would even know he was gone.

Maybe that speaks to the kind of caricature he has become.

Harry Chappas
06-10-2013, 11:32 AM
His recent premature, erroneous, HR call was an incredibly sad moment. Not just because he got it wrong, but because the excitement was so over-the-top and misplaced. It was a meaningless game for a team not contending for anything. I like his passion, but it's a more than a little cloying IMO.

I've enjoyed Hawk over the years, but this team needs a top-to-bottom, organization-wide makeover and that includes the announcers and marketing. The whole product seems really stale to me.

As for Farmer/DJ, I'm seemingly one of the very few that sort of like them. They seem to have things in perspective and don't sugar coat as much as their TV counterparts.

hawkjt
06-10-2013, 12:59 PM
His recent premature, erroneous, HR call was an incredibly sad moment. Not just because he got it wrong, but because the excitement was so over-the-top and misplaced. It was a meaningless game for a team not contending for anything. I like his passion, but it's a more than a little cloying IMO.

I've enjoyed Hawk over the years, but this team needs a top-to-bottom, organization-wide makeover and that includes the announcers and marketing. The whole product seems really stale to me.

As for Farmer/DJ, I'm seemingly one of the very few that sort of like them. They seem to have things in perspective and don't sugar coat as much as their TV counterparts.

To each his own really applies when it comes to broadcasters, obviously.

While I have been a bit critical of Hawk recently, he is still lite years better than the radio duo.

The deal with Hawk is that when the Sox are winning, he is fine,but when they are losing, he is a tough listen....but again, isn't that going to be the truth for anyone in the booth?

When the Sox are winning, beer tastes better, food tastes better,women love me, and I am a god.....when they are losing, I am in a world of spit.

doublem23
06-10-2013, 01:19 PM
Does that mean he's selling his own line of pizza at Sox Park now?

Brewski
06-10-2013, 01:35 PM
Does that mean he's selling his own line of pizza at Sox Park now?

That pizza was awful. Santo must have got the recipe from his Swedish mother. But seriously, or not seriously, what would Hawk sell at the ballpark if he could sell a food item? Or hawk a food item?

Farmer and DJ don't bother me at all. They're silly, but what are they describing, a murder trial? Stone is not enuf of a baseball guru to make up for his dull audio presence. Strange, but when Hawk was replaced by Mike Huff and Stone did the call, he wasn't bad.

Lip Man 1
06-10-2013, 02:50 PM
Hawk was so much better when he was basically the analyst for Don Drysdale...he'd only call a few innings a game. Of course I understand he was much younger too.

Lip

Golden Sox
06-10-2013, 03:12 PM
When the White Sox had the misfortune of trading for Ron/Pizza Man/Scab/Santo in 1974 they agreed to sell "Ron Santos Pro Pizza" at Comiskey Park. The pizza was not fit for man or beast. I always thought that outside of Santo and his immediate family nobody bought the pizza more than once. When Santo 'retired after the 1974 season, his pizza disappeared from Comiskey Park forever. When the pizza company wound up going broke, I wasn't surprised. The pizza was as bad as Santo was in a White Sox uniform in 1974.

MARTINMVP
06-10-2013, 09:29 PM
I can't take anymore of Hawk. With how pitiful this team is, I'll be ready to purchase MLB.tv at half price after the All-Star game. Part of the treat will be listening to other team's boring and uninspired broadcasts.

Quite an upgrade over the Sox television broadcast these days.

DSpivack
06-10-2013, 09:34 PM
I can't take anymore of Hawk. With how pitiful this team is, I'll be ready to purchase MLB.tv at half price after the All-Star game. Part of the treat will be listening to other team's boring and uninspired broadcasts.

Quite an upgrade over the Sox television broadcast these days.

They have it on special now for $49.99. :cool:

AnkleSox
06-10-2013, 10:42 PM

Lip

I'm pretty sure Corey Mcpherrin of Fox Chicago is also a life long Sox fan.

DSpivack
06-11-2013, 12:02 AM
I'm pretty sure Corey Mcpherrin of Fox Chicago is also a life long Sox fan.

WGN's Rich King, too, I think.

TomBradley72
06-11-2013, 09:09 AM

This sentence does not make any sense.

So sports on TV is not entertainment?

I guess they are wasting alot of money on their announcers sinec they don't have anything to go with how "entertaining" the experience is for the audience.

Following that logic- there is no difference between DJ and Vin Scully, etc.

Makes sense.

Lip Man 1
06-11-2013, 09:31 AM
WGN's Rich King, too, I think.

He absolutely is.

Lip

DumpJerry
06-11-2013, 11:07 AM

Lip
I'm friends with Garfein's cousin. Chuck is 100% with us.

TheVulture
06-11-2013, 04:02 PM
Last I tuned in, Hawk was still able to string together a coherent sentence and remembers how to enunciate words, so I'm going to answer no to the OP.

Viva Medias B's
06-11-2013, 08:30 PM
He absolutely is.

Lip

And don't forget Mike Mulligan and John Kass.

Vernam
06-11-2013, 09:29 PM
I dearly loved watching Sox games with my old man. But when they were losing, it was hard being in the same house with him, much less the same room. This is not an exaggeration. He would've been the darkest of the dark clouds these days.

Listening to Hawk when they're losing is the same, and it's a good reason to turn them off. Time is getting short for him to make a graceful exit. When he's gone, I'll probably miss him, but not as often as I miss the old man.

Vernam
06-20-2013, 07:30 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/20847095-574/hawk-harrelson-says-white-sox-season-has-been-hell-on-me.html

24thStFan
06-20-2013, 07:43 AM
In the article, Hawk said, "it's been horse**** baseball". Truer words have never been spoken.

Golden Sox
06-20-2013, 08:14 AM
1) Hawk compares this season to the 2007 White Sox season. I agree that this has been the worse team we've had since 2007. The difference is in 2007 the White Sox had numerous injuries and the year went down the tubes. With some moves in the off season and a healthy team in 2008, the White Sox were back in the playoffs in 2008. We can't blame injuries this season. Does any body really think this team (if all the players are brought back) is good enough to be in the playoffs in 2014? The White Sox are going to have to make some major moves in the off season to contend in 2014.
2) Todays article in the Sun Times points out the difference between Hawk and Ron/Pizza Man/Scab/Santo. The Hawk was honest in his criticism of the 2013 White Sox team. Santo was a notorious houseman for the Cubs his entire career. (as a player and a radio announcer) He would of NEVER criticised the Cubs team the way Hawk did today. Santo was nothing but a big mouth crybaby who was notorious playing the blame game.

SI1020
06-20-2013, 08:20 AM
I've always liked Hawk, but this really should be his final season. Beyond his comical reactions, which have turned into spectacles, he's regularly making mistakes about number of outs, score, etc. The organization should not allow an old man to embarrass himself. Yes.

TaylorStSox
06-20-2013, 08:32 AM
1) Hawk compares this season to the 2007 White Sox season. I agree that this has been the worse team we've had since 2007. The difference is in 2007 the White Sox had numerous injuries and the year went down the tubes. With some moves in the off season and a healthy team in 2008, the White Sox were back in the playoffs in 2008. We can't blame injuries this season. Does any body really think this team (if all the players are brought back) is good enough to be in the playoffs in 2014? The White Sox are going to have to make some major moves in the off season to contend in 2014.
2) Todays article in the Sun Times points out the difference between Hawk and Ron/Pizza Man/Scab/Santo. The Hawk was honest in his criticism of the 2013 White Sox team. Santo was a notorious houseman for the Cubs his entire career. (as a player and a radio announcer) He would of NEVER criticised the Cubs team the way Hawk did today. Santo was nothing but a big mouth crybaby who was notorious playing the blame game.

I wouldn't blame injuries, but that's just not true. We've played with the 2,3,4 pitchers all sidelined at some point for extended periods. Konerko, Viciedo and Dunn have all been playing with back issues and Beckham was out for an extended period. This team sucks regardless, but injuries have been a problem. There isn't a team in baseball that contends while losing 3/5ths of their rotation.

SI1020
06-20-2013, 08:42 AM
Its the game that is supposed to be "entertaining," not the announcer. I guess you wouldn't have liked Rosey Rowswell. Where is the rule that says baseball announcers have to be bland and boring. That is exactly what most of them are today. There should be room for a variety of styles. I like the timeless excellence of a Vin Scully, and the unabashed homerism of Bob Prince, Jack Brickhouse and the vintage Harry Caray.

thomas35forever
06-20-2013, 11:43 AM
I can't blame Hawk. If I had to watch this crap day in and day out so I could earn my next paycheck, it would probably break me too.

MeteorsSox4367
06-20-2013, 11:59 AM
I guess you wouldn't have liked Rosey Rowswell. Where is the rule that says baseball announcers have to be bland and boring. That is exactly what most of them are today. There should be room for a variety of styles. I like the timeless excellence of a Vin Scully, and the unabashed homerism of Bob Prince, Jack Brickhouse and the vintage Harry Caray.

That's one of the things I was thinking about. When Hawk retires, I don't want to get someone who has the bland broadcast school voice who you cannot differentiate from anyone else.

BTW, I did like his "horse(bleep) baseball" comment in the Sun-Times. Just skimmed the article, but that stood out.

LITTLE NELL
06-20-2013, 03:02 PM
In the article Hawk said he feels sorry for some of the players, I wonder which ones he doesn't feel sorry for? My guess is that Alexei would be at the top of that list followed by Dunn, DeAza and Flowers.

Stanley
06-20-2013, 03:12 PM
Newsflash, Hawk still sucks. The days are long gone when talking about golf and Stan Musial or whomever are enlightening or entertaining to anyone except retiree's and Hawk himself. I still only learned where Stone Poney comes from the other day. I had been holding out googling it because I didn't want to give that old fart the satisfaction.

And it's not just Hawk. The Robin hiring has not come without it's fair share of boneheaded calls from the dugout. Does anyone really believe that hiring a manager who has never coached a game beyond high school (right after you fire a guy like Ozzie, who left much to be desired to put it lightly), running out a team like this day in-day out, and having Hawk Harrelson as your play by play guy will not have a negative impact on this organization for years to come? All this affects what free agent's are willing to sign here, the amount of money we have to spend on players, and the fan perception of the Sox around the country. This organization needs to stop kidding themselves and fooling it's fans with the nepotism and overall ineptitude. It's time to replace Hawk and I don't care or know who would be best suited for the job. Anyone will be better than this guy, and debating that is pointless.

I consider myself a die-hard Sox fan, but I'm not a fool. This organization stinks right now. I hope to see a big shake-up and look forward to seeing the minor league guys work their way up.

Stanley
06-20-2013, 03:26 PM
I feel bad for Hawk ungracefully succumbing to the realities of aging. "Silence is the great communicator"? Thanks for treating all us fans to your special brand of silence, Hawk. :scratch:

KingXerxes
06-20-2013, 04:23 PM
Stanley - I doubt there's ever been a bigger critic of Ken Harrelson than me, but I don't believe aging is his issue.

Constant self-promotion and contrived emotion is his issue.

Dan H
06-20-2013, 05:24 PM
Hawk is no Santo but he is also no Hawk any more. His constant usage of "Stretch" and "just missed it" is getting as old as he is. And while I realize he has to be tactful when calling games, he doesn't have to insult our intelligence with BS.

Stone Poney can go, too. I've seen eels with better personalities.

tstrike2000
06-20-2013, 05:40 PM
Hawk is no Santo but he is also no Hawk any more. His constant usage of "Stretch" and "just missed it" is getting as old as he is. And while I realize he has to be tactful when calling games, he doesn't have to insult our intelligence with BS.

I don't think the Sox have too many options outside of Stone Pony, either. Stone's not exactly Mr. Personality, but neither is Mike Huff. I like Paciorek, but I think him and Hawk kind of treat their time together like Candyland.

KingXerxes
06-20-2013, 09:39 PM
I don't think the Sox have too many options outside of Stone Pony, either. Stone's not exactly Mr. Personality, but neither is Mike Huff. I like Paciorek, but I think him and Hawk kind of treat their time together like Candyland.

I've got to believe there are many play-by-play guys already doing major league games who would jump at a chance to be in the Chicago market. We've all been stuck in the Harrelson forest for so long we no longer remember what a tree looks like.

Get a play by play announcer, and let the color guy add insight. With the White Sox playing the way they are right now I can no longer stomach Harrelson and his complete suffocation of my ability to watch a baseball game without feeling like I'm at a second job.

RadioheadRocks
06-20-2013, 09:55 PM

No more calls, we have a winner!

Steelrod
06-21-2013, 05:53 AM
It probably keeps them from killing each other.

Stanley
06-21-2013, 10:43 AM

Boy is that true. I can't take Stone's nasally monotone anymore, either. These two guys have no chemistry at all and have no business being in the booth together. They clearly don't like each other, and they are basically infecting the fans with their BS now. Sickening...

tstrike2000
06-21-2013, 10:47 AM

You should write poetry.

tstrike2000
06-21-2013, 10:50 AM
I've got to believe there are many play-by-play guys already doing major league games who would jump at a chance to be in the Chicago market. We've all been stuck in the Harrelson forest for so long we no longer remember what a tree looks like.

Get a play by play announcer, and let the color guy add insight. With the White Sox playing the way they are right now I can no longer stomach Harrelson and his complete suffocation of my ability to watch a baseball game without feeling like I'm at a second job.

As long as Hawk is in the booth, it could be some PBP guys are scared of his reputation. Pure speculation on my part.

TheVulture
06-21-2013, 12:41 PM
I just can't understand the Hawk hate. I'd love to have someone like Vin Scully, but watch a Cubs, Reds, or Tigers broadcast (like I get here in NE Indiana) and those guys will put you to sleep faster than a "you can put it on the board."

TomBradley72
06-21-2013, 01:24 PM
I just can't understand the Hawk hate. I'd love to have someone like Vin Scully, but watch a Cubs, Reds, or Tigers broadcast (like I get here in NE Indiana) and those guys will put you to sleep faster than a "you can put it on the board."

I agree.

My priorities for overhauling the WSox broadcast teams-

DJ- a complete embarrassment- always annoys me within the first half inning of turning on the game
Stone- just doesn't fit- very knowledgable/talented- but the monotone/nasal tone combined with his lack of chemistry with Hawk- it's not working
Farmer- Was OK as Rooney's partner- and has his good moments- but overall- not up to par for a major market team
Hawk- Needs to go within the next few years- but I've always found more good than bad with him- but his faults get exposed when its a bad White Sox team- and this is a BAD team. I'd like to see Paciorek back as his partner for his final years in the booth-

KingXerxes
06-21-2013, 03:04 PM

What's the primary difference between Vin Scully and Kasper, Brennaman and Impemba? I don't see why Scully, a rather laid back announcer of the game would be singled out by you as "good" and the others "suck". They're all pretty straightforward play-by-play guys.

Allow me to explain my "Hawk Hate" in a nutshell; From the minute the camera goes on him, he starts:

(1) Editorializing
(2) Opining
(3) Reminiscing
(4) Fantasizing
(5) Overanalyzing
(6) Making up crap
(7) Toting the company line
(8) Making excuses
(9) Trumping himself up
(10) Saying things with zero conversational hook
(11) Acting like he invented baseball
(12) Acting like he's the smartest guy in the room
(13) Presenting obscurity as if it's wisdom
(14) Dominating the atmosphere in the booth
(15) Feigning emotion
(16) Complaining about the umpires
(17) Crying about bad luck

He's gone to so many image iterations over the years HE may not even be sure who he is anymore.

Very much like a chameleon his colors will change when the situation calls for it - the only certainty with him will always be a self-promoting angle.

Stanley
06-21-2013, 03:08 PM
From the minute the camera goes on him, he starts:

(1) Editorializing
(2) Opining
(3) Reminiscing
(4) Fantasizing
(5) Overanalyzing
(6) Making up crap
(7) Toting the company line
(8) Making excuses
(9) Trumping himself up
(10) Saying things with zero conversational hook
(11) Acting like he invented baseball
(12) Acting like he's the smartest guy in the room
(13) Presenting obscurity as if it's wisdom
(14) Dominating the atmosphere in the booth
(15) Feigning emotion
(16) Complaining about the umpires
(17) Crying about bad luck

Beautifully put. Absolute worst announcer in the game.

LITTLE NELL
06-21-2013, 08:18 PM
Beautifully put. Absolute worst announcer in the game.

You haven't watched any TB Rays games. Staats and Anderson are so bad I have started to pull for the Rays opponents.

Stanley
06-21-2013, 09:47 PM
I haven't watched many, but I've seen a few. Wish I could remember what I thought of them. Ever since a certain website went down I haven't watched many games that aren't on WCIU or WGN.

chisox12
06-22-2013, 03:17 PM
He's not there yet, but he's getting close. It's depressing enough to watch the Sox these days and Hawk makes it so much worse with all of his nonsense. Whether it is his constant complaining about umpiring or his annoying catchphrases, his whole act is worn out.