PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Hudson Re-Tears UCL

PaleHoser
06-07-2013, 08:38 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/diamondbacks-starter-daniel-hudson-suffers-tear-ucl-elbow-214723518.html

Tough break for him. It's interesting that he was six weeks ahead of schedule. Makes you wonder whether he rushed it and that led to the re-tear.

06-07-2013, 09:13 PM
Hudson posts on his twitter:

Daniel Hudson @DHuddy41

Adversity is a fact of life. It canít be controlled. What we can control is how we react to it. Fall down seven times, stand up eight

Great attitude!

Lip Man 1
06-07-2013, 10:35 PM
Wonder if Phil Rogers or any of the severe critics of the Sox for having traded him will make mention of this? :rolleyes:

Lip

CWSpalehoseCWS
06-07-2013, 10:36 PM
I guess we really can't say the Sox got screwed over in that deal. Hudson had 1 good year, and just injury after injury.

slavko
06-07-2013, 11:08 PM
Wonder if Phil Rogers or any of the severe critics of the Sox for having traded him will make mention of this? :rolleyes:

Lip

Phil's still right. Kenny traded real talent for a mediocre rental. I can't derive any satisfaction from a traded player being injured.

asindc
06-08-2013, 06:42 AM
Phil's still right. Kenny traded real talent for a mediocre rental. I can't derive any satisfaction from a traded player being injured.

Yet some people criticizing KW for this move (maybe not you) have also critcized him for what we ultimately got from Carlos Quintin.

Dibbs
06-08-2013, 08:20 AM
It was still a ridiculously bad move by Kenny. These injuries may or may not have happened if he stayed with the Sox. Or he could have received a better deal altogether.

Tragg
06-08-2013, 08:27 AM
Yet some people criticizing KW for this move (maybe not you) have also critcized him for what we ultimately got from Carlos Quintin.

We gave our best pitching prospect, ML ready, for a rental of Jackson, at a high salary. Did we get one of those for Quentin?
The frustration is that we just squander assets.

cws05champ
06-08-2013, 10:26 AM
Sucks for Hudson....good kid and I hope he makes a full recovery. It was a dumb trade then and still is now. Lets not forget about LHP David Holmberg who we also gave up in the deal. He is a top 5 prospect in the Dbacks system and should be up by 2014.

Chez
06-08-2013, 10:57 AM

Lip

That was my first thought. Somewhere, Phil Rogers is weeping. I've got nothing against Hudson and hope he comes all the way back, but it seemed like you couldn't read a Phil Rogers column for 2 years without seeing a mention of Daniel Hudson.

TaylorStSox
06-08-2013, 04:05 PM
First, Jackson was very good with the Sox (3.66 ERA 174 SO). The Sox gave Hudson 5 starts and he gave up 18 earned runs. He goes over to Arizona and has a great half year. His second year with Arizona was very Gavin Floydesque. Then he gets hurt and will probably never pitch again. It was a good trade then and it's a good trade now. Hudson ended up with a 3.58 ERA in the NL.

blandman
06-08-2013, 05:09 PM
First, Jackson was very good with the Sox (3.66 ERA 174 SO). The Sox gave Hudson 5 starts and he gave up 18 earned runs. He goes over to Arizona and has a great half year. His second year with Arizona was very Gavin Floydesque. Then he gets hurt and will probably never pitch again. It was a good trade then and it's a good trade now. Hudson ended up with a 3.58 ERA in the NL.

Hudson was bad pitcher, but people are never gonna see it that way, especially since he's been injured.

There's so many statistics about the historically unprecedented luck he received when he went to Arizona (seeing like 2 top 10 offenses all year (in four very bad starts), and bottom 8 offenses in something like 75% of his starts. But it doesn't matter to those that like Hudson. He's the one that "got away". Despite being yet another example in a string of marginal 6th starters that come through our system.

asindc
06-08-2013, 05:22 PM
We gave our best pitching prospect, ML ready, for a rental of Jackson, at a high salary. Did we get one of those for Quentin?
The frustration is that we just squander assets.

I'm talking about the trade to acquire Quentin.

DSpivack
06-08-2013, 06:00 PM
That was my first thought. Somewhere, Phil Rogers is weeping. I've got nothing against Hudson and hope he comes all the way back, but it seemed like you couldn't read a Phil Rogers column for 2 years without seeing a mention of Daniel Hudson.

Rogers would say that of course Arizona won that trade, they got two players in return for dealing one.

TDog
06-08-2013, 06:25 PM
It was still a ridiculously bad move by Kenny. These injuries may or may not have happened if he stayed with the Sox. Or he could have received a better deal altogether.

Hudson was having serious trouble getting American League hitters out when the White Sox were desperate for starting pitching in a division race. Hudson and Garcia pitching back to back against the A's getting beaten up early against a lineup that featured a couple of career minor leaguers had a rippling effect through the staff, forcing more innings out of the bullpen and starters in subsequent games to go longer than they should have. I don't see how anyone who saw Hudson pitch for the White Sox could have been happy about having him in the rotation. The Sox did what they needed to do to try to stay in the race.

As it turned out, Hudson went to Arizona and had a great run through the rest of the 2010 season. He started to have a rough time in mid-2011, long before he was diagnosed with an arm injury. He wasn't at all a good pitcher in 2012 before he was found to have an injury. It's possible that the changes the Diamondbacks coaches made to his motion and how he attacked hitters made him a superior pitcher. It's also possible that they eventually led to his injury.

It wasn't just his injury, though. Hudson was struggling with the White Sox. He had a very difficult time getting hitters out when he got two strikes on them. Peavy went down, and Hudson wasn't going to come close to replacing him. Based on what I've seen from Hudson before the trade and in the last two seasons, I don't think the White Sox would have been any better off in recent seasons or this year if they hadn't traded Hudson.

SOXPHILE
06-09-2013, 05:36 PM
Too bad for Hudson. With Phil Rogers though, he also had a bug up his ass about Chris Young for the longest time. He wrote numerous articles about how bad the Sox were for trading him. Here's today's helpful tip: Don't read Phil Rogers articles. You become baseball stupid from them.

TheVulture
06-11-2013, 03:46 PM
Hudson posts on his twitter:

Great attitude!

Fall down seven times, get up eight? Good attitude, poor math. Unless there was an unspoken lay down in there somewhere.

As for the Hudson trade, I have to give KW a pass on that one. The Sox were in a division race, Jackson filled the need for a strong starter and he pitched well. The rest of the team choked. If they hadn't, Jackson would have been essential in the post season.

Irishsox1
06-12-2013, 10:50 AM
If it wasn't for Dr. Phil writing numerous articles about Chris Young and Daniel Hudson, I would have totally forgot about these guys.