PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 6/6 Sox Bunt - Oakland wins 5-4 Postgamer

Tragg
06-06-2013, 11:29 PM
I doubt even Ozzie would have bunted there.

EMachine10
06-06-2013, 11:36 PM
Ventura is at his daughter's graduation, isn't he?

RadioheadRocks
06-06-2013, 11:43 PM
When in fresh hell is this team going to GRADUATE and play Major League baseball???

voodoochile
06-06-2013, 11:45 PM
Had to fix the title. I don't know who was managing tonight so I did the best I could...:tongue:

tstrike2000
06-06-2013, 11:47 PM
Blah.

Soxman219
06-06-2013, 11:51 PM
Thought for sure Dunn hit it out.

mahagga73
06-06-2013, 11:52 PM
1-2 since Beckham came back. Hawk promised a different team.

Lip Man 1
06-06-2013, 11:58 PM
Maybe someone can find this out for me...when was the last time the Sox won an extra inning game against the ****ing Oakland A's?

Seems like all I remember are losses to these stiffs and no-names the past few years.

Outside of that, I don't have anything just another loss in what is going to be a summer full of them.

Also I'm curious, after that great road trip what was the crowd like tonight? Nothing reported in the box score at the 'official' Sox web site.

Lip

BainesHOF
06-06-2013, 11:58 PM
I'm so tired of seeing Thornton pitch in close games.

More bad umpiring. The guy behind the plate screwed Flowers twice in the bottom of the ninth inning.

I heard this afternoon on the Score that some stat computation ranks Keppinger as the worst hitter in baseball. That seems about right.

If it was a normal warm night like it should be at this time of the year, Dunn's ball goes out.

slavko
06-07-2013, 12:02 AM
I'm so tired of seeing Thornton pitch in close games.

More bad umpiring. The guy behind the plate screwed Flowers twice in the bottom of the ninth inning.

The terrible call on strike 3 was to make up for Flowers beefing about the bad call on strike 2. White Sox baseball, starting another 8 game streak.

SoxSpeed22
06-07-2013, 12:08 AM
This is just what bad teams do. They fail to get runs in to put teams away, they give up 2 out runs, they can't get runners in after sacrificing, or just fail to sacrifice properly.
Btw, Parent was managing.

Tragg
06-07-2013, 12:17 AM
Had to fix the title. I don't know who was managing tonight so I did the best I could...:tongue:

Thanks for the correction. How about "Sox bunt" (I can't edit my titles).
But my goodness, we give away 1/3 of the outs, reduce the chance of winning in the 10th, when we have a taxed pen. That's just playing not to lose.
Further, while Alexei's goofy, he's a better hitter than Dunn and at least had a hit tonight.

Dan H
06-07-2013, 12:19 AM
Thought for sure Dunn hit it out.

Hawk thought so, too, and he should have known better. On balls hit like that, you have to look at the outfielder before getting too excited. If he looks like he has a bead on it, it's just a loud out. Nice try by Dunn, but he got a little too bit under it. It wasn't as close as Hawk made it out to be, but he's grasping at something positive to say. Just like Stone saying the Sox will hit better when it warms up to 80. Total BS.

Lip Man 1
06-07-2013, 12:26 AM
Decided to check myself on the extra inning vs. A's stuff.

The Sox have lost four straight extra inning games to the A's and five out of the last six. Haven't beaten them in extra innings since April 12, 2011.

4th time this year the Sox lost when taking a lead into the 7th inning or later.

Lip

voodoochile
06-07-2013, 12:28 AM
Thanks for the correction. How about "Sox bunt" (I can't edit my titles).
But my goodness, we give away 1/3 of the outs, reduce the chance of winning in the 10th, when we have a taxed pen. That's just playing not to lose.
Further, while Alexei's goofy, he's a better hitter than Dunn and at least had a hit tonight.

I was hoping for the hit and run since Alexei has proven adept at hitting behind runners and De Aza is obviously fast, but we got the bunt and the rest is history...

Edit: and I adjusted the title per your request.

Foulke You
06-07-2013, 12:42 AM
Hawk thought so, too, and he should have known better. On balls hit like that, you have to look at the outfielder before getting too excited. If he looks like he has a bead on it, it's just a loud out. Nice try by Dunn, but he got a little too bit under it. It wasn't as close as Hawk made it out to be, but he's grasping at something positive to say. Just like Stone saying the Sox will hit better when it warms up to 80. Total BS.

I don't blame Hawk for getting excited there. That ball looked ticketed for the bullpen. Had the right sound off the bat too. Sox beat writer Scott Merkin commented on Twitter that he thought it was gone. Said that "you don't see many balls drop straight down in LF in this park". Unfortunately, you see that when it is cold out. The high ones usually don't carry in the chilly air at our park. On a warm day, that one hits the back of the Sox bullpen.

On a side note, come back soon Robin. The Alexei bunt in the 9th was just silly. Playing for a tie and giving our struggling offense one less out to work with made little sense. Having Gillespie bunt earlier in the game was also stupid but at least that would have been the go ahead run.

Dan H
06-07-2013, 12:58 AM
I don't blame Hawk for getting excited there. That ball looked ticketed for the bullpen. Had the right sound off the bat too. Sox beat writer Scott Merkin commented on Twitter that he thought it was gone. Said that "you don't see many balls drop straight down in LF in this park". Unfortunately, you see that when it is cold out. The high ones usually don't carry in the chilly air at our park. On a warm day, that one hits the back of the Sox bullpen.

On a side note, come back soon Robin. The Alexei bunt in the 9th was just silly. Playing for a tie and giving our struggling offense one less out to work with made little sense. Having Gillespie bunt earlier in the game was also stupid but at least that would have been the go ahead run.

Maybe if I was there and heard the crack of the bat, I would've felt the same way. But Hawk misjudges many balls hit to the outfield. I understand about the ball not carrying but the A's hit four out tonight. That says it all. The homer Thornton gave up was crushed. Come to thing of it, the others were too.

Yes, the bunt wasn't the right call, but it seems nothing works with this offense. And I have the feeling Robin doesn't want to come back.

thomas35forever
06-07-2013, 02:38 AM
Help please. Somebody. Anybody.

DonnieDarko
06-07-2013, 06:35 AM
Okay, I missed the game completely. Who bunted? Please, please, PLEASE do not say Alexei Ramirez.

vinny
06-07-2013, 06:44 AM
Okay, I missed the game completely. Who bunted? Please, please, PLEASE do not say Alexei Ramirez.

Alexei bunted in the 10th going for the tie and was actually successful, but it was a stupid call with DeAza at first.

Gillaspie bunted for the go-ahead in the 9th and failed miserably (right to the charging Donaldson at third) after Danks was inserted as a pinch runner for Viciedo.

Oh, BTW, the Royals have won two straight, so we're back in the cellar again.:gulp:

DonnieDarko
06-07-2013, 06:58 AM
Alexei bunted in the 10th going for the tie and was actually successful, but it was a stupid call with DeAza at first.

Gillaspie bunted for the go-ahead in the 9th and failed miserably (right to the charging Donaldson at third) after Danks was inserted as a pinch runner for Viciedo.

Oh, BTW, the Royals have won two straight, so we're back in the cellar again.:gulp:

If I cared about this season a few more iotas than I currently do, then I would rage.

Now it's more like...apathy. Yes, that's the word to use. Apathy.

Jerko
06-07-2013, 09:17 AM
Maybe someone can find this out for me...when was the last time the Sox won an extra inning game against the ****ing Oakland A's?

Seems like all I remember are losses to these stiffs and no-names the past few years.

Outside of that, I don't have anything just another loss in what is going to be a summer full of them.

Also I'm curious, after that great road trip what was the crowd like tonight? Nothing reported in the box score at the 'official' Sox web site.

Lip

Damn I think I saw the Sox beat Oakland 1-0 in extras at least 10 years ago. It was a weekday game and we were up in the stadium club till at least 1 AM. Wish I could remember the year but that's the last time I recall.

Jerko
06-07-2013, 09:19 AM
Maybe if I was there and heard the crack of the bat, I would've felt the same way. But Hawk misjudges many balls hit to the outfield. I understand about the ball not carrying but the A's hit four out tonight. That says it all. The homer Thornton gave up was crushed. Come to thing of it, the others were too.

Yes, the bunt wasn't the right call, but it seems nothing works with this offense. And I have the feeling Robin doesn't want to come back.

About a week ago Dunn hit a fly ball, Hawk gave it 2 stretches, a get on back there, and the loudest dadgummit I ever heard when it was caught.......and it was in reality a can o corn (didn't make the warning track).

PorkChopExpress
06-07-2013, 11:02 AM
1-2 since Beckham came back. Hawk promised a different team.

It is. They won one.

Tragg
06-07-2013, 11:20 AM
It really seems like amateur hour re the braintrust in the dugout these days.

Lip Man 1
06-07-2013, 12:13 PM
It's now the second week in June. The "heart" of the Sox batting order is now hitting as follows:

Dunn (0-5 last night, left six runners on base) .158
Konerko .228
Viciedo .239

Looks like the team needs a transplant.

Lip

hawkjt
06-07-2013, 12:25 PM
I thought Dunn's fly ball was out also....so sad, just no luck this year.

This seems to be the perfect storm of crap this year,between injuries and slumps....long summer looming.

Hartman
06-07-2013, 03:05 PM
I can't believe someone thought Dunn hit an opposite field anything :D:

TomBradley72
06-07-2013, 05:57 PM
I thought Dunn's fly ball was out also....so sad, just no luck this year.

This seems to be the perfect storm of crap this year,between injuries and slumps....long summer looming.

Luck has nothing to do with it- Dunn is an aging, incredibly bad hitter and he has been for 2+ seasons....despite his terrific comeback season average of .204.

The injuries suck- especially to 3 rotation starters- but we haven't really had any meaningful injuries to any position players except Beckham.

slavko
06-07-2013, 07:13 PM
I can't believe someone thought Dunn hit an opposite field anything :D:

If he hits the ball on the ground, he pulls it. If he hits it in the air, it's more likely going to left field than right. Look where the outfielders are playing him tonight. You're in for a surprise.

mahagga73
06-07-2013, 11:08 PM
You do not ask a guy to do what he has shown so clearly he cannot. That bunt yesterday was pure luck. Ventura probably doesn't want to come back and it is kind of looking like it was a big mistake not hiring a manager with actual managerial experience at a high level. I don't think Robin has a clue what to do .

yazz32
06-07-2013, 11:15 PM
Three words.. Blow it up!! I can't remember a season like this. It's like I expect a loss now everyday.