PDA

View Full Version : Mont trades

LongDistanceFan
08-02-2002, 08:49 AM
what is puzzling me is the floyd trade. i still don't understand the prospects they gave up to get him and in the end the final prospects they got to trade him. it is confusing me like hell.

the way i am looking at it, why couldn't kw approach mont with clee and see what we could've gotten from them.

Tragg
08-02-2002, 09:14 AM
Because Montreal was looking to reduce and get prospects back once they realized they wouldn't contend.

As for Lee, who do we have to replace him? Borchard MAY be ready next year. Okay, who else? Rowand? Liefer? Lee is far better than either of those 2. Our bench was singularly unproductive, except for graff, all year.
What if Thomas leaves? Who DHs?
Lee is not a surplus player. We lack outfield depth and we need him or trade him for another outfielder.

LongDistanceFan
08-02-2002, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Tragg
Because Montreal was looking to reduce and get prospects back once they realized they wouldn't contend.

As for Lee, who do we have to replace him? Borchard MAY be ready next year. Okay, who else? Rowand? Liefer? Lee is far better than either of those 2. Our bench was singularly unproductive, except for graff, all year.
What if Thomas leaves? Who DHs?
Lee is not a surplus player. We lack outfield depth and we need him or trade him for another outfielder.

lee value might be the highest right now. we could have filled in a couple of holes. jeff could've played if ltp is not. frank is not leaving, unless someone comes and takes his contract, which no-one is going to. willie ability to play the "of" will help, with hummel in th minors.

last but not but not least and this is a pipe dream is darrin ernstad.

duke of dorwood
08-02-2002, 09:22 AM
:KW

"Prune Juice in a world of squirts"

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2002, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
what is puzzling me is the floyd trade. i still don't understand the prospects they gave up to get him and in the end the final prospects they got to trade him. it is confusing me like hell.

the way i am looking at it, why couldn't kw approach mont with clee and see what we could've gotten from them.

If Floyd didn't want to go to Oakland he wouldn't want to come here.

BuehrleACE56
08-02-2002, 10:14 AM
the deal makes sense. the expos wanted to make a move and show baseball that they were going to take a shot and contend. so they moved 5 guys and got him. they were below .500 for the "Floyd era" and out of contention. So....they ship him to a contender and get, five prospects. So they basically rented him for three weeks to see if he could help them to contend. They really didn't lose anything for having him on board a while.

LongDistanceFan
08-02-2002, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by BuehrleACE56
the deal makes sense. the expos wanted to make a move and show baseball that they were going to take a shot and contend. so they moved 5 guys and got him. they were below .500 for the "Floyd era" and out of contention. So....they ship him to a contender and get, five prospects. So they basically rented him for three weeks to see if he could help them to contend. They really didn't lose anything for having him on board a while.

except some very talented prospects that is better than what they received in return.