PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 6-5 Bacon Sizzles on the Plate; SOX 7 SEA 5 16 inning Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
06-05-2013, 09:22 PM
When Addison packed the burlap sacks with seamen; Seager beat us with Reed's.

Has there ever been a 14th inning in which 10 runs were scored?

Has a pitcher ever given up five runs in extra innings and still picked up a "W?"

Having pitched the last three innings of a win, is Reed eligible for a save?

We don't win today without all those double plays.

soxnut1018
06-05-2013, 09:24 PM
No words.

:rolling:

Boondock Saint
Hooray, they won.

These guys still ****ing suck.

Zakath

He gets the blown save and the win.

EDIT: Sorry, he doesn't get the blown save as we were up 5-0 when he came in.

vinny
06-05-2013, 09:25 PM
I'm just glad this didn't turn out like this game:

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1991/B04210PIT1991.htm

24thStFan
06-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Finally!

Soxman219
06-05-2013, 09:26 PM
I honestly feel like we won a playoff game, seriously that 14th was a kick in the nuts.

34rancher
OFFENSIVE EXPLOSION!!!

And Boom goes the dynamite....:bandance:

Madvora
Nobody looked happy after that game, just relieved. Hawk's happy though.

SOXPHILE
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDAQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dcmp DOWdsvWA&ei=n-SvUdeMJ8f6qwGl5oDgAg&usg=AFQjCNEHQX59yPw-8MWGulXhyc7FhbztGg

all*star quentin
06-05-2013, 09:27 PM
Twitter: This is first time in @MLB (https://twitter.com/MLB) history each team has scored 5 or more runs after playing 9 scoreless.

Go SOX! Losing streak is ovah!

:):bandance:

voodoochile
06-05-2013, 09:27 PM
When Addison packed the burlap sacks with seamen; Seager beat us with Reed's.

Has there ever been a 14th inning in which 10 runs were scored?

Has a pitcher ever given up five runs in extra innings and still picked up a "W?"

We don't win today without all those double plays.

A win, a blown save, a save but personally I think he deserves the old brief and ineffective ruling and the win should go to Omogrosso...

Who cares? Haven't been able to post this in what feels like forever...

:soxwin:

jdm2662
06-05-2013, 09:28 PM

He started the inning in a non-save situation. He just gets a win and his ERA goes through the roof.

Zakath
06-05-2013, 09:31 PM
Damn near took 2 games, but the losing streak ends at 8. Thank God. We snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, and then somehow managed to win it anyway. Defense in regulation saved us, with double plays in the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 7th (a little unconventional in the 3rd and 4th), as well as being able to strand Franklin at 2B after a leadoff double in the 9th.

Guess we needed extra innings for Rios to wake up, as he had all 4 hits in extras.

Zakath
06-05-2013, 09:32 PM
He started the inning in a non-save situation. He just gets a win and his ERA goes through the roof.

Ah, true. It was 5-0.

His ERA went from 2.25 to 3.67.

canOcorn
06-05-2013, 09:32 PM

It wasn't a save opportunity when he came in the game.

I'll give him credit that he nutted up after the 14th. He just can't pitch in a non-save situation at this point. He's been money in save situations, but beyond awful in mop up duty.

LITTLE NELL
06-05-2013, 09:33 PM
A win but Reed could have saved us a lot of grief if he had pitched the 14th like he did the 16th.

Lip Man 1
06-05-2013, 09:34 PM
Hooray, they won.

Boondock....you got it right there.

Lip

bestkosher
06-05-2013, 09:39 PM
Now that's what i call working for a win.

RKMeibalane
06-05-2013, 09:41 PM

Why am I not surprised?

Aesero
06-05-2013, 09:46 PM
Thats a white sox winner?

harwar
06-05-2013, 09:56 PM
Nice getting that win .. nice having Beckham back .. the boys will be dragging tomorrow, but winning this game should take some of the pressure off .. now win the series with the A's..

cards press box
06-05-2013, 09:57 PM

I remember watching that game. And the Pirates had only one out when they scored the winning run.

Thats a white sox winner?

Yes, indeed!

:winner

Railsplitter
06-05-2013, 10:18 PM
About time
:bandance:

voodoochile
06-05-2013, 10:26 PM
Does the ALC suck or what? Minnesota is back in front of the Sox who lost 8 in row and only lost 2 games to the first place kittens...

AnkleSox
06-05-2013, 10:30 PM
Wow. Even their wins are pathetic.

TDog
06-05-2013, 10:31 PM
How many here have read the Iowa Baseball Confederacy? Probably not many because there W.P. Kinsella was writing about a Cubs game.

In the past, blown saves haven't been official statistically, so it might be casual enough that baseball people will recognize the reality and call it a blown save. Somehow calling that a blown save doesn't do justice to how poorly he pitched in his first inning and how strongly he came back to win the game. He had never pitched three innings in a major league game.

I was expecting to see a starter come in. Maybe Beckham. Maybe Flowers, who could probably throw hard and knows the signs. It wouldn't have been pretty, though. Interesting that Seattle didn't go to their closer, who you would expect to be more effective than the pitcher they left on the mound while the White Sox were scoring all seven of their runs. In this case, the White Sox seemed to want the game more. The White Sox, though, needed it more. But the latter was true Tuesday when Peavy let the game get away early.

I didn't see the game except bits and pieces. Online MLB cut to Harrelson and Stone talking about Seager's future, for reasons I didn't understand, but now it seems prophetic. Still, I saw on the MLB channel where a couple of the commentators said it was the best game of the year. Lost in everything that came down in extra innings was how Axelrod and the bullpen stepped up to keep it scoreless through nine, let alone until the scoring started. The Mariners wasted all sorts of opportunities. They had runners at third with less than two outs in the fourth, fifth and sixth. At one point, they were 0-for-11 with runners in scoring position.

The Seattle starter was tough, and has been against most teams this season. Axelrod didn't have nearly the great stuff that he had in his first seven innings in Oakland, but he stepped up when he needed to.

As often as "we suck" passes for analysis here, this is was a game that revealed a lot of character on this White Sox team. This isn't the first time Axelrod has gutted out a start without his best stuff in a White Sox win, but it may be more impressive. You can shake your head and say Reed simply can't pitch in non-save situations, but the MLB analysts were saying that he came to the 14th without his best fastball and came back to win the game going with sliders.

Ventura, of course, did everything right, had his closer coming in with a five-run lead as the last reliever, but had to wait three innings for his team to score more runs and Reed to execute.

This is a game that Sox fans will be talking about for years. Probably. If they had lost, it certainly would be.

sox1970
06-05-2013, 10:34 PM
Ventura left in the 12th inning.

BainesHOF
06-05-2013, 10:40 PM
It was almost the lowest point I've ever seen the Sox.

Didn't watch the whole game, but saw Rios and De Aza commit baserunning blunders.

Gimenez needs to play more. He blocked the plate again to tag out a runner that should have scored. Plus he was fired up throughout the game. He may not be an all-star, but he needs to play more on this team.

Heard Rongey get over his skis once again on the postgame show. He said Peavy will now finish the season with the Sox because of his injury. Maybe. Maybe not. To state that he will so definitively was silly, but that's the postgame show.

ChiSoxGal85
06-05-2013, 10:43 PM
Unbelievable...I am watching the last 4 innings game via DVR right now, because I had to run out after the 12th. My son texted me updates, including "Sox are up 5-0!" and then minutes later..."You're not going to like what I'm going to tell you..."

Wow. Glad they won. I sure hope this game is some sort of turning point for the Sox.

:bandance:

Brian26
06-05-2013, 10:44 PM
Ironically, the White Sox acquired Peavy while he was on the DL...with a much worse injury than the mild rib fracture he has now.

slavko
06-05-2013, 10:45 PM
The Seattle starter was tough, and has been against most teams this season. Axelrod didn't have nearly the great stuff that he had in his first seven innings in Oakland, but he stepped up when he needed to.

As often as "we suck" passes for analysis here, this is was a game that revealed a lot of character on this White Sox team. This isn't the first time Axelrod has gutted out a start without his best stuff in a White Sox win, but it may be more impressive. You can shake your head and say Reed simply can't pitch in non-save situations, but the MLB analysts were saying that he came to the 14th without his best fastball and came back to win the game going with sliders.

Ventura, of course, did everything right, had his closer coming in with a five-run lead as the last reliever, but had to wait three innings for his team to score more runs and Reed to execute.

This is a game that Sox fans will be talking about for years. Probably. If they had lost, it certainly would be.

The slam was hit off a change. A low change. Seager just timed it. I don't buy the "non-save situation" bulljive. Who else ya gonna put it? Ax had neither stuff nor control of it. The defense gets a lot of credit for his survival. 17 hits and 2 for extra bases? Where's the power?

amsteel
06-05-2013, 10:51 PM
The road to 5 under starts tomorrow.

voodoochile
06-05-2013, 10:53 PM
Ventura left in the 12th inning.

Did I miss him getting tossed? I noticed he wasn't on the bench for the final few, but where was he?

VenturaBlvd
06-05-2013, 10:54 PM
Nobody looked happy after that game, just relieved. Hawk's happy though.

Sully's happy. And Mully's happy. :D:

SCCWS
06-05-2013, 10:56 PM
Did I miss him getting tossed? I noticed he wasn't on the bench for the final few, but where was he?

He had dinner reservations

RKMeibalane
Meanwhile, the Cubs are embroiled in their own extra-inning contest. It's 5-5 in the tenth in Orange County.

sox1970

Caught a flight to California for his kid's graduation. I think he has two graduations this weekend, and will return Sunday.

Parent is managing Thursday, then he's leaving for his kid's graduation, and Cooper is managing Friday.

RKMeibalane
06-05-2013, 10:57 PM
Caught a flight to California for his kid's graduation. I think he has two graduations this weekend, and will return Sunday.

Parent is managing Thursday, then he's leaving for his kid's graduation, and Cooper is managing Friday.

Kirk Gibson's head just exploded.

TDog
06-05-2013, 11:03 PM
The slam was hit off a change. A low change. Seager just timed it. I don't buy the "non-save situation" bulljive. Who else ya gonna put it? Ax had neither stuff nor control of it. The defense gets a lot of credit for his survival. 17 hits and 2 for extra bases? Where's the power?

Of course, if Reed had his good fastball today, and he didn't have it in Oakland Sunday either, he wouldn't have been throwing a change in that situation, and if he had been changing up in that situation, he would have been changing off of better stuff, and the bases wouldn't have been loaded.

When teams can win without doing a lot of scoring behind starting pitchers who had stuff like Axelrod had today (and the Sox didn't score until the 14th today), I am impressed with the ability of the starter to keep his team in the game. Pitching isn't just about striking hitters out. And this isn't the first such start for Axelrod this season. Unfortunately, his best outing was one that he lost because his curveball wasn't breaking when he came out to pitch the eighth Friday night.

waldo_the_wolf
06-05-2013, 11:15 PM
Gimenez needs to play more. He blocked the plate again to tag out a runner that should have scored. Plus he was fired up throughout the game. He may not be an all-star, but he needs to play more on this team.

Agreed, I don't see any reason at all why he shouldn't be the primary catcher, I'm starting to really hate Tyler Flowers.

CoopaLoop
06-05-2013, 11:23 PM
Anyone clock the amount of Silence from Hawk when Seager's grand slam was in flight. Had to be close to a minute.

Brian26
06-06-2013, 12:12 AM
Anyone clock the amount of Silence from Hawk when Seager's grand slam was in flight. Had to be close to a minute.

It was 41 seconds. MLB clocked it.

thomas35forever
06-06-2013, 12:14 AM
We won? Sure, I'll take it.

canOcorn
06-06-2013, 12:22 AM
You can shake your head and say Reed simply can't pitch in non-save situations, but the MLB analysts were saying that he came to the 14th without his best fastball and came back to win the game going with sliders.

The granny was a slider and his numbers are significantly better when he's not used in a non-save situation. Make use of that as you want......

slavko
06-06-2013, 12:39 AM
The granny was a slider and his numbers are significantly better when he's not used in a non-save situation. Make use of that as you want......

I can't see a break on that slider in the video. The video caption does call it one though. Centered at the knees and got hit hard.

waldo_the_wolf
06-06-2013, 12:42 AM
It was 41 seconds. MLB clocked it.

Everyone calls Hawk a "homer" but this is one time I couldn't really blame him. It was pretty unbelievable.

Winningugly23
06-06-2013, 12:46 AM
Gordon hitting the ball all over the place nice to see.

canOcorn
06-06-2013, 12:59 AM
I can't see a break on that slider in the video. The video caption does call it one though. Centered at the knees and got hit hard.

He got too flat on it. His change is 2-3 mph slower than the 85 of that pitch.

TDog
06-06-2013, 02:32 AM

Reed also pitches significantly better when he has his good fastball. It's irrelevant if the pitch was a flat slider or change. It was a weak pitch thrown ahead in the count with two strikes on the hitter by a pitcher who with the game on the line has been blowing hitters away to end previous games with the games on the line. And really, if Reed had come into the game to face Seager, it would have been a save situation. The tying run was at the plate. If you are a closer, that is a save situation. It was only a non-save situation by the wording of the rules. His two scoreless innings were in a non-save situation because he was pitching to keep the game tied and then for the win. He pitched well in his last two non-save-situation innings.

I don't know what you consider significant. Reed came into today's game allowing 2 runs in 6 non-save situation appearances. He had given up 4 runs in his 18 save-opportunity appearances. Most of the time, he isn't scored upon in his non-save-situation innings. He only has two games this year where he's give up more than one run, today's game and a blown save. To conclude from today's game, or even Sunday's game when the A's put the runner in motion and Crisp scored from first on a single that the younger Danks overran that Reed can't pitch in non-save situations is ignoring even the reality of today's game. I have no doubt that if Reed had come into the game with just a two-run lead that, with what he brought to the mound today, he wouldn't have made it to three outs in blowing the save.

It's possible he is going through a dead-arm phase, which all pitchers go through a couple times a year. It's possible he hasn't been getting enough word to stay strong. I am hoping that his success in pitching well after giving up the lead, when he had to pitch well because he was the last reliever in the bullpen, ends up making him a better closer.

16th&State
06-06-2013, 06:02 AM
Hooray, they won.

Pretty much exactly how I feel.!...

kufram
06-06-2013, 07:52 AM
Well, I'm glad I can enjoy a win without hauling all of the garbage from before along with it.

October26
06-06-2013, 08:45 AM

I did not hear Hawk as I was listening to the game on the radio while fixing dinner last night. After Seager hit the grand slam, Farmer just stopped talking. I looked at my radio, wondering if it had quit working. DJ finally said something after what seemed like forever.

I then turned on the TV and watched the final innings. When the Sox ran out of pitchers, I thought: how many innings can Reed pitch? Thankfully, the Sox scored in the top of the 16th and Reed had an uneventful bottom of the 16th. I was really glad to see the Sox get the win.

TaylorStSox
06-06-2013, 09:01 AM
What was the velocity on Reed's fastball yesterday? He's evolved a lot since coming up. He used to sit at about 96 with good movement. Now he's sitting around 92-94 with outstanding movement. He used to throw everything hard, fastball/slider. Now, the change has become his best pitch.

Jerko
06-06-2013, 09:32 AM
The 2 things I hate the most both happened yesterday: bringing your closer in with a big lead, and using your closer in a tie game! I've never seen both done in the same game before! So, I guess we can say Reed is better in tie games than with a big lead. This game reminded me of one in Minny years ago; I think it was 5-0 too. Foulke came in and Twins won about 4 minutes later.

Tragg
06-06-2013, 09:36 AM
What was the velocity on Reed's fastball yesterday? He's evolved a lot since coming up. He used to sit at about 96 with good movement. Now he's sitting around 92-94 with outstanding movement. He used to throw everything hard, fastball/slider. Now, the change has become his best pitch.

If he has 3 good pitches like that, make him a stArter. We're wasting him as a closer who pitches 1 inning with no one on base 1/2 the games.

TaylorStSox
06-06-2013, 09:53 AM
If he has 3 good pitches like that, make him a stArter. We're wasting him as a closer who pitches 1 inning with no one on base 1/2 the games.

He's been in the bullpen since college.

doublem23
06-06-2013, 09:56 AM

:gah:

ChiSoxGal85
06-06-2013, 10:03 AM
I did not hear Hawk as I was listening to the game on the radio while fixing dinner last night. After Seager hit the grand slam, Farmer just stopped talking. I looked at my radio, wondering if it had quit working. DJ finally said something after what seemed like forever.

I then turned on the TV and watched the final innings. When the Sox ran out of pitchers, I thought: how many innings can Reed pitch? Thankfully, the Sox scored in the top of the 16th and Reed had an uneventful bottom of the 16th. I was really glad to see the Sox get the win.

Hawk was silent for what felt like FOREVER. It was actually quite amusing; at least he didn't rant or blame it on the umpires.

I'm really glad that Reed gutted it out after giving up that slam and came back to get the win in the 16th. But I wish I could have seen it! I'm ticked off because I did not record the game long enough - my recording ended in the 15th. And it's not on replayed on CSN because it was a WGN game...argh!

voodoochile
06-06-2013, 10:19 AM

The simple fact is he was about all the Sox had left in the pen unless you wanted to see another inning of Omogrosso or a starter come on. In addition, the granny wasn't a horrible pitch it had decent sink the batter just went and got it. By the third inning of work Reed was tired enough where there was more sink and the batters were waving at air. Still it's not like the slider that got hit for the tie was a thigh high meatball. It was closer to the ankles than the knee when the batter got it. Just a good piece of hitting - bent the knees and dropped the head of the bat on it.

TDog
06-06-2013, 10:24 AM

Wilbur Wood was a closer before Chuck Tanner looked at his team and decided the White Sox would be better by trading Tommy John for Dick Allen and having Wilbur Wood pitch all the time. Wood learned his knuckleball from Hoyt Wilhelm who had some success as a starter, even pitching a no-hitter and leading the league in ERA in a season where he had more than half of his career starts, but was found to be most valuable in relief. Dennis Eckersley was a good starter, who even pitched a no-hitter, who became a so-so starter before he became Hall of Fame worthy as a closer.

Reed was considered best suited for closing when he was at San Diego State. He started a couple of games for the White Sox in Rookie League ball, but has pitched exclusively in relief since. I don't know what went into that decision. Of course, he was a high school first baseman who hit over .400 in his senior year. I don't know why his college coach, Tony Gwynn, limited him to closing when he seemed to have more skills.

canOcorn
06-06-2013, 11:11 AM
Reed also pitches significantly better when he has his good fastball. It's irrelevant if the pitch was a flat slider or change. It was a weak pitch thrown ahead in the count with two strikes on the hitter by a pitcher who with the game on the line has been blowing hitters away to end previous games with the games on the line. And really, if Reed had come into the game to face Seager, it would have been a save situation. The tying run was at the plate. If you are a closer, that is a save situation. It was only a non-save situation by the wording of the rules. His two scoreless innings were in a non-save situation because he was pitching to keep the game tied and then for the win. He pitched well in his last two non-save-situation innings.

I don't know what you consider significant. Reed came into today's game allowing 2 runs in 6 non-save situation appearances. He had given up 4 runs in his 18 save-opportunity appearances. Most of the time, he isn't scored upon in his non-save-situation innings. He only has two games this year where he's give up more than one run, today's game and a blown save. To conclude from today's game, or even Sunday's game when the A's put the runner in motion and Crisp scored from first on a single that the younger Danks overran that Reed can't pitch in non-save situations is ignoring even the reality of today's game. I have no doubt that if Reed had come into the game with just a two-run lead that, with what he brought to the mound today, he wouldn't have made it to three outs in blowing the save.

I conclude it on the fact he has a 7.96 ERA, in non-save situations, since he became closer last May 5th. That's 23 ER in 26 IP. He has a 3.16 ERA in save situations over that same period of time. Btw - He's been scored upon in 3 of his last 4 non-save situations.

The Immigrant
06-06-2013, 11:12 AM
In addition, the granny wasn't a horrible pitch it had decent sink the batter just went and got it.

It was horrible pitch selection. I believe that was his third slider in a row and it was in the same general area as the prior two. He gave the batter a better chance to get it.

cards press box
06-06-2013, 11:48 AM
The 2 things I hate the most both happened yesterday: bringing your closer in with a big lead, and using your closer in a tie game! I've never seen both done in the same game before! So, I guess we can say Reed is better in tie games than with a big lead. This game reminded me of one in Minny years ago; I think it was 5-0 too. Foulke came in and Twins won about 4 minutes later.

I remember that game with the Twins -- it was one of many Sox nightmares at the Metrodome. As for yesterday, I also do not like seeing a closer in a game with a big lead. I had hoped that the Sox would bring out Omogrosso to pitch the bottom of the 14th.

Lip Man 1
06-06-2013, 12:12 PM
This is the game you're thinking of:

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/2001/B06260MIN2001.htm

Lip

Tragg
06-06-2013, 01:05 PM
:gah:
Well, we are. WE use Crain and Thornton and even Jones in much more important situations. I don't know if he can start, but all a closer does is pitch one inning, starting with no on one base, every other game or so...the only specific skill they need above average is to not choke. It's not like the old days when the closer came in in the seventh or eighth with the sacks packed to "put out the fire" and then finished the game.
Right now, we have some good young arms in the pen. If we keep them there in perpetuity, we devalue our assets.

hawkjt
06-06-2013, 01:29 PM
They said that Reeds pitch was a changeup,not a slider.
Seager did golf the pitch out of there,not a swing you see that much.

I agree that Jiminez should be catching more than Flowers....start him against all righty opposition pitchers.

I really thought the Sox had no chance to come back yet again and win that game, but they hung in there.

Axelrod is a classic ''junkball'' pitcher...reminds me of myself in high school...could not break a pane of glass,but tricked them sometimes.
Almost pitching below the hitting speed.

Sox are 6 back...not dead yet.

TDog
06-06-2013, 02:11 PM
I conclude it on the fact he has a 7.96 ERA, in non-save situations, since he became closer last May 5th. That's 23 ER in 26 IP. He has a 3.16 ERA in save situations over that same period of time. Btw - He's been scored upon in 3 of his last 4 non-save situations.

Reed is unscored upon this year when he is pitching in tie games, which are non-save situations. That includes yesterday's game after he gave up the lead. Even in his blown save in May he left the game tied. As a closer, he has not been scored upon in non-save situations more than he's been scored upon. You are making a sweeping generalization based that only prove how statistical analysis can go wrong.

canOcorn
06-06-2013, 02:58 PM
Reed is unscored upon this year when he is pitching in tie games, which are non-save situations. That includes yesterday's game after he gave up the lead. Even in his blown save in May he left the game tied. As a closer, he has not been scored upon in non-save situations more than he's been scored upon. You are making a sweeping generalization based that only prove how statistical analysis can go wrong.

Reed has given up runs in 3 of the 7 non-save situations (he's only come into 2 tied games) he's had this year. He's given up a run in 3 of his 18 save situations. I know, sweeping generalization.

blandman
06-06-2013, 04:02 PM
Reed has given up runs in 3 of the 7 non-save situations (he's only come into 2 tied games) he's had this year. He's given up a run in 3 of his 18 save situations. I know, sweeping generalization.

It's not that I disagree with your assessment, but that is a very small sample size.

Golden Sox
06-06-2013, 04:23 PM
I've always thought the worse thing I've seen in my life/in regards to baseball, was the home run race between Sosa and Mcguire. The nation was excited to see the home run records destroyed by a bunch of juicers. Sosa was a skinny kid when he played for the White Sox. A few years later he was as big as King Kong. Numerous hitting records were established by the juicers. I remember when Roger Maris hit 61 home runs in 1961. The whole nation was against him breaking the home run record simply because people thought it was terrible that he was breaking the record of the "sacred Babe Ruth". When Maris hit his 61st home run on the last day of the 1961 season, Yankee Stadium was 2/3s empty. Everybody kissed the rear ends of the juicers when they were hitting all of their home runs. It seems like the public has finally turned on the juicers now. It will be curious to see how history views the juicers years from now.

slavko
06-06-2013, 05:06 PM
Hawk was silent for what felt like FOREVER. It was actually quite amusing; at least he didn't rant or blame it on the umpires.

I'm really glad that Reed gutted it out after giving up that slam and came back to get the win in the 16th. But I wish I could have seen it! I'm ticked off because I did not record the game long enough - my recording ended in the 15th. And it's not on replayed on CSN because it was a WGN game...argh!

Look again. It's there. WGN games frequently get put up on Comcast on Demand.