PDA

View Full Version : It's official: Beckham back, Greene DFA'd

vinny
06-03-2013, 01:24 PM
Chicago White Sox ‏@whitesox 23m
The #WhiteSox returned @gordonbeckham from his injury rehab assignment @KnightsBaseball & reinstated him from the 15-day DL today.

Chicago White Sox ‏@whitesox 22m
To make room for Beckham on the active roster, the #WhiteSox designated infielder Tyler Greene for assignment.

Tyler Greene Appreciation thread, anybody?

We have room for 2 more on the 40-man roster.

doublem23
06-03-2013, 01:56 PM
So who is going to be the next savior of this season touted by Hawk? I'm putting the early odds on Phegley.

DirtySox
06-03-2013, 02:02 PM
So who is going to be the next savior of this season touted by Hawk? I'm putting the early odds on Phegley.

The only other minor leaguer performing really well is Erik Johnson. He's actually a really good prospect though. Phegley is more of an intriguing dude who is for the first time in his minor league career showing he can hit. It's hard to get a read on him due to his past illness and stunted development path though. Hopefully this is more than a 2 month abberation because the bat has to carry him as a catcher.

cards press box
06-03-2013, 02:10 PM
I see Johnson starting for the Sox within the next 1-2 years, maybe even next year. If Phegley keeps hitting at AAA, I see him in Chicago sooner than Johnson, maybe June or July 2013.

Tragg
06-03-2013, 02:16 PM
Greene's out of options?

Foulke You
06-03-2013, 02:23 PM
I wonder where Robin is going to slide Beckham in the lineup. I'd almost plug him into the leadoff spot or 2 hole just for grins. How can he do any worse?

DirtySox
06-03-2013, 02:25 PM
I see Johnson starting for the Sox within the next 1-2 years, maybe even next year. If Phegley keeps hitting at AAA, I see him in Chicago sooner than Johnson, maybe June or July 2013.

Yep. I'd guess July for Phegley if he keeps hitting and Flowers keeps struggling. Just saying other than Phegley, there isn't anyone but Johnson that could even remotely be considered a "savior." Even then, pitching isn't the issue. There hasn't been much progress on the farm this season so far.

As far as Johnson goes, he won't be in Chicago this year other than as a September call-up unless Peavy and another starter are moved. Him in the rotation next year wouldn't surprise me at all. The White Sox are aggressive with prospects. He will be in AAA at some point this season if he keeps this up. Couple that with some rebuild dealing almost inevitable, and a spot for Johnson in the rotation could be likely for 2014.

eriqjaffe
06-03-2013, 02:39 PM
Greene's out of options?Yep. That, combined with signing Ronny Cedeno, is why Houston let him go in the first place.

vinny
06-03-2013, 02:46 PM
Greene's out of options?

His last option year was burned with the Cards in 2011.

thomas35forever
06-03-2013, 02:49 PM
Can't say I'll miss Greene. Nothing more than a career backup. Hope Beckham can provide a lift to this offense though.

Chez
06-03-2013, 04:05 PM
So who is going to be the next savior of this season touted by Hawk?

"Paging Mr. Borchard. Mr. Joe Borchard please pick up the nearest courtesy phone for an important call."

KingXerxes
06-03-2013, 04:17 PM

:hawk

"Mercy..........Well folks - Ol' Doublem23 is asking who I'm betting will be the next savior of the White Sox........... let me tell you this right now from my parts or all of the last seven decades being involved in this game.......and I've never - EVER - been more sure of this fact..........the ghost of Ray Oyler is going to turn this team around........Ol' Ray Oyler.......mercy."

Tragg
06-03-2013, 04:53 PM
His last option year was burned with the Cards in 2011.

Risky - we might lose him.

Domeshot17
06-03-2013, 04:56 PM
Ways you know you are screwed: Gordon Beckham is thought to be the savior of the season...... he who opened the year as what, our 8 or 9 hitter?

Tragg
06-03-2013, 05:04 PM
Ways you know you are screwed: Gordon Beckham is thought to be the savior of the season...... he who opened the year as what, our 8 or 9 hitter?
People wanted to dump him for nothing.
Heck, put him at lead-off...maybe he'll shorten the stroke and try to get on base like he did in college.

Mr. Jinx
06-03-2013, 05:40 PM
Risky - we might lose him.

Darn.

tstrike2000
06-03-2013, 05:43 PM
We're last in the league in just about every major offensive category, Robin can try batting Gordon in the cleanup spot for all I care. Can't be any worse than the occasional home run to go along with the usual 0-4 with 3 K's.

StillMissOzzie
06-03-2013, 09:50 PM
One Tyler down, one to go.

SMO
:gulp:

vinny
06-03-2013, 10:18 PM
One Tyler down, one to go.

I approve of this message. :thumbsup:

eriqjaffe
06-05-2013, 02:16 PM
FWIW, Greene has cleared waivers and been sent to Charlotte.