PDA

View Full Version : Worst Offense In the AL

fungo bat
06-02-2013, 07:11 PM
The Sox are dead last in all offensive categories, except for home runs.

The Sox are 3-16 in games when they haven't hit a long one.

They're shutout by a mediocre Oakland pitcher and reliever today. Sale's shutout innings string came to an end earlier. Sox blew another chance to pull within 4 1/2 of Detroit, who lost again to Baltimore.

How much longer are we going to have to put up with this anemic offense? This team is simply painful to watch. They get down by a few runs and they're toast.

Greg Walker can't take the blame for this train wreck. Williams and Hahn have built a team that's overly dependent on the home run ball. Too many station-to-station runners. We can't manufacture runs. The Sox simply are not good enough to hit-and-run successfully. Too many batters can't bunt or advance a runner. Sox hitters strike out way too often. Change ups and soft breaking stuff completely fool our hitters. Pitchers show us fast balls out of the zone, and then come back with off speed pitches that make our hitters look bad.

It's off to Seattle to take on a below average Mariners' team. I'm still waiting for this offense to break out and put some numbers on the board.

I just don't know when that is going to happen.

Dan H
06-02-2013, 07:16 PM
All I can say I haven't since a White Sox offense this bad since the late 60's. The third game against the A's was as pathetic as it gets.

Golden Sox
06-02-2013, 07:28 PM
I heard Hahn on the Score baseball show this morning. If anybody noticed they wouldn't allow phone calls from the public. It was simply a talk with Hahn and the host. Anyways , Hahn said the only 2 players that have performed offensively have been Rios and Gillaspie. If thats how he feels, what if anything is he going to do to help the team? They can't hit. It's that simple. He must not think to highly of Phegley. Even tho he's hitting over .300 in the minors, he keeps him down on the farm and won't bring him up here. I feel sorry for the White Sox pitchers. If they give up 3 runs a game, the game is over.

California Sox
06-02-2013, 07:37 PM
The problem with this team isn't station-to-station baserunners. It's no one besides Rios, Konerko, and Gillaspie has a plan. They don't swing at strikes, so they never walk. Hard to manufacture runs with a .290 OBP. Beckham will help, if only because Keppinger has been near historically bad, but they just don't have a lot of professional hitters. What they think they see in Caspar Wells baffles me. I expect you'll see a lot of auditions for the rest of the year, starting with JorDanks. He looked very good at Charlotte and he's a hell of a lot better in cf than DeAza. Play him 4 times a week and see if you got anything. Obviously, you'll also see Phegley (eventually), and whoever they get for Crain and Peavy.

Tragg
06-02-2013, 07:39 PM
Too many station-to-station runners. We can't manufacture runs. The Sox simply are not good enough to hit-and-run successfully. Too many batters can't bunt or advance a runner. Sox hitters strike out way too often. Change ups and soft breaking stuff completely fool our hitters. Pitchers show us fast balls out of the zone, and then come back with off speed pitches that make our hitters look bad.

Lack of bunting isn't the problem. Neither is too many home runs.
We have guys who are incapable of getting on base, and just can't drive the ball and hit.

Lip Man 1
06-02-2013, 07:39 PM
I heard Hahn on the Score baseball show this morning. If anybody noticed they wouldn't allow phone calls from the public. It was simply a talk with Hahn and the host. Anyways , Hahn said the only 2 players that have performed offensively have been Rios and Gillaspie. If thats how he feels, what if anything is he going to do to help the team? They can't hit. It's that simple. He must not think to highly of Phegley. Even tho he's hitting over .300 in the minors, he keeps him down on the farm and won't bring him up here. I feel sorry for the White Sox pitchers. If they give up 3 runs a game, the game is over.

He can help the team by admitting this season is over...blow it up, get what he can for certain players and start the rebuilding process today, as in right now...not wait till the off season.

He can get a three or four month head start on things. He's seen 54 games now, nothing is really going to change if he wait another 30. It's not working today, it's not going to work tomorrow...admit it and start the process of climbing out of the hole.

Lip

captain54
06-02-2013, 09:20 PM
He can help the team by admitting this season is over...blow it up, get what he can for certain players and start the rebuilding process today, as in right now...not wait till the off season.

The organization has known of this offensively challenged bunch for years. Hahn and the whole lot of them had the entire offseason to improve things so...What makes you think they are capable of turning it around now?

LoveYourSuit
06-02-2013, 10:09 PM
I don't care what people say, I rather suck at pitching than suck at hitting. Bad offensive baseball is as boring to me as Soccer.

Brian26
06-02-2013, 10:16 PM
This isn't really a home run or bust team because this team doesn't hit homers. Gillaspie has very little power. Alexei's home run power has evaporated, as has Konerko's. Keppinger and Beckham don't hit for power. Rios is more of a doubles hitter. I'd classify the 04 or 07 teams as homer or bust. This team just can't hit.

Lip Man 1
06-02-2013, 10:25 PM
The organization has known of this offensively challenged bunch for years. Hahn and the whole lot of them had the entire offseason to improve things so...What makes you think they are capable of turning it around now?

Captain:

That's a great point...very valid. But outside of new ownership coming in, cleaning house and starting over what else could the current ownership / front office do?

If you assume that what JR said last week is true, that he won't sell until he dies, the current front office is all you have to work with for good or bad.

Lip

doublem23
06-02-2013, 10:52 PM

This Sox lineup, essentially the same as a year before, was basically league average or better in every major offensive category last season.

WhiteSox5187
06-02-2013, 10:53 PM
This Sox lineup, essentially the same as a year before, was basically league average or better in every major offensive category last season.

Of course that lineup also got career years out the catcher and center fielder.

doublem23
06-02-2013, 10:56 PM
Of course that lineup also got career years out the catcher and center fielder.

And you think that alone accounts for an 80 point OPS drop?

captain54
06-02-2013, 11:34 PM
the current front office is all you have to work with for good or bad.

Lip

all I can say is .. Go Bears!! Go Blackhawks!!

Mr. Jinx
06-02-2013, 11:40 PM

Cool story bro.

captain54
06-02-2013, 11:41 PM

I don't even think than YOU believe in your heart of hearts that stats tell the whole story... its not what you hit its when you hit em.... average schmaverages.. the Sox offensive sucked at the worst possible times over the last couple of years, maybe longer... the problem is, this arrogant organization has taken the fact that the Sox were in the first for the majority of the year then coughed it up.. as an accomplishment.. I thought the goal was to be in first at the end of the year.. otherwise, to me, you failed..

Brian26
06-02-2013, 11:44 PM

The Blackhawks....who couldnt draw 9000 people to a game back when the Sox were putting up 90 win seasons in 2005 and 2006. I love the bandwagon Chicago fans.

Mr. Jinx
06-02-2013, 11:55 PM
The Blackhawks....who couldnt draw 9000 people to a game back when the Sox were putting up 90 win seasons in 2005 and 2006. I love the bandwagon Chicago fans.

Original 6! Original 6!

Dan H
06-03-2013, 12:00 AM

When I was a kid, fans would have to go to the Stadium at Noon the day of the game just to get standing room. Hawk tickets were impossible to get until Bill Wirtz ran the team into the ground. He chased fans away with his incompetence not to mention the NHL is the dumbest sports organization in the world. Maybe there was a good reason for the United Center to be half empty.

WLL1855
06-03-2013, 12:11 AM
When I was a kid, fans would have to go to the Stadium at Noon the day of the game just to get standing room. Hawk tickets were impossible to get until Bill Wirtz ran the team into the ground. He chased fans away with his incompetence not to mention the NHL is the dumbest sports organization in the world. Maybe there was a good reason for the United Center to be half empty.

Let's end the thread derailment here and get back to the topic at hand. Bill Wirtz was easily the worst owner of any Chicago professional sports team. He made Reinsdorf look like a saint even after the '94 strike.

captain54
06-03-2013, 12:13 AM

oh please.. I've been a Sox fan since 1959... and a Hawks fan since 1961

kittle42
06-03-2013, 12:34 AM

You sound like Hangar. Don't be jealous that a team some of us have followed for 25+ years can actually win games.

waldo_the_wolf
06-03-2013, 12:42 AM
When I saw the title to this thread, my first thought was: "In other news, water is wet and bears **** in the woods!"

DSpivack
06-03-2013, 12:49 AM
When I saw the title to this thread, my first thought was: "In other news, water is wet and bears **** in the woods!"

Well, they do practice in Lake Forest...

ChicagoG19
06-03-2013, 01:45 AM
Well to get back to the topic at hand, I read that in an interview recently with Hahn, that if things don't improve offensively with the club in the next couple of weeks, that changes will be. I don't know exactly what that entails, but I would be curious to see what Hahn does. While the Sox are still very much mathematically in the race, I just don't see them going anywhere. I personally hope that Hahn just tears down the whole thing and starts the rebuilding process. I am sure he can get some pieces for Rios, Peavy, Gillespie, and maybe Ramirez. I would rather be bad for a couple of years in the hopes of picking up a Harper/Trout type player in the draft and hover around .500 forever.

RCWHITESOX
06-03-2013, 03:57 AM
If the Sox gut this team it's going to be along time before they will be able to compete again. The attendance will be at record lows; and I for one do not want them to resemble Miami or Houston. I think they should hold on to their pitching and move players such as Ramirez, Viciedo, and De Aza who have shown very little improvement over the last two years. Also move Konerko who is at the end of his career for possible prospects. I would rather see them go after younger MLB players in deals than just prospects. They will not be getting any top notch prospects for what they have to offer. I would not move Sale or Peavy or Reed. As for their bench I think they should move most all of them and replace them with hungry minor league players from the farm. Try and target OF and corner INF and catching help. Teams like Colorado, Pittsburgh, and Arizona who have depth and could afford to move players could be teams the Sox target.

TomBradley72
06-03-2013, 07:53 AM
Kenny Williams should have been fired- instead he's promoted.

This mess is all his- from the mediocre minor league system to the free swinging, undisciplined hitters-

thomas35forever
06-03-2013, 03:53 PM
I hope this comes to pass very quickly. Nothing is more frustrating than watching close games slip away because of our inability to hit. As the scoreless game got deeper yesterday, I knew our chances weren't good. It's sad that I've come to expect defeat in 0-0 games.

vinny
06-03-2013, 04:01 PM
No surprise that on MLB Trade Rumors' list of weak-hitting positions (by weighted on-base average), we have 7 of 9 positions filled!

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/06/weak-hitting-positions-for-al-contenders.html

palehosepub
06-03-2013, 10:08 PM
Well to get back to the topic at hand, I read that in an interview recently with Hahn, that if things don't improve offensively with the club in the next couple of weeks, that changes will be. I don't know exactly what that entails, but I would be curious to see what Hahn does. While the Sox are still very much mathematically in the race, I just don't see them going anywhere. I personally hope that Hahn just tears down the whole thing and starts the rebuilding process. I am sure he can get some pieces for Rios, Peavy, Gillespie, and maybe Ramirez. I would rather be bad for a couple of years in the hopes of picking up a Harper/Trout type player in the draft and hover around .500 forever.

I don't see the point in moving Gillespie, he's young, he's cheap (making the major league minimum) and he has upside. He should be a piece that you hold onto - at least giving him a season or two to develop.

I think if the Yankees (or whoever) offer a significant infield or catching prospect for Ramirez it's time to move him - his head is not always in the game and his numbers have been declining.

Hitmen77
06-03-2013, 10:40 PM
No surprise that on MLB Trade Rumors' list of weak-hitting positions (by weighted on-base average), we have 7 of 9 positions filled!

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/06/weak-hitting-positions-for-al-contenders.html

MakeAnImpact!

DSpivack
06-04-2013, 01:18 AM

The most surprising part about this is that someone at MLB Trade Rumors thinks the Sox are contenders.

LITTLE NELL
06-04-2013, 06:24 AM
A month ago I posted that this may be the worst Sox hitting Sox team since I started following them in the early 50s, its now official, this is the worst. 1967 up until now was the worst but that team had great pitching and defense. This team has horrible defense along with the bad hitting.
The book on the Sox has to be, don't throw strikes, they will swing at anything and make sure you hit the ball, they most likely will drop the ball or make a bad throw or look like fools on routes to the ball.

russ99
06-04-2013, 07:13 AM
I find it ironic that "Be aggressive and don't take pitches" Mark Parent got ejected for complaining about the ump's strike zone last night.

Don't want to start another Walker situation, but maybe he should go first, before we move players since any young players coming back in trades will pick up bad impatient hitting habits from him, getting behind the count constantly and giving the pitcher advantages.

IMO, Dunn is partially his fault, he's on track for about half his usual amount of walks this year, and despite his record level of poor hitting, at least he'd get on base sometimes.

Frater Perdurabo
06-04-2013, 07:37 AM
I find it ironic that "Be aggressive and don't take pitches" Mark Parent got ejected for complaining about the ump's strike zone last night.

Don't want to start another Walker situation, but maybe he should go first, before we move players since any young players coming back in trades will pick up bad impatient hitting habits from him, getting behind the count constantly and giving the pitcher advantages.

IMO, Dunn is partially his fault, he's on track for about half his usual amount of walks this year, and despite his record level of poor hitting, at least he'd get on base sometimes.

Parent is the bench coach. Manto is the hitting coach.

FielderJones
06-04-2013, 11:29 AM

It's not "Be aggressive and don't take pitches." It's "Swing at the batting practice fastball on pitch one, because that might be the only hittable pitch." After watching Sox batters let early count fat pitches go and then swing at junk in the dirt, it's a philosophy I agree with.

Harry Chappas
06-04-2013, 12:17 PM

What's your point? So-called 'bandwagon' fans fill stadiums and help with really neat things like payroll. You know, payroll that can be used to make the team you root for competitive.

Let me guess, you were annoyed when newly-minted Sox fans showed up after '05? :rolleyes:

kittle42
06-04-2013, 12:20 PM
What's your point? So-called 'bandwagon' fans fill stadiums and help with really neat things like payroll. You know, payroll that can be used to make the team you root for competitive.

Let me guess, you were annoyed when newly-minted Sox fans showed up after '05? :rolleyes:

Bandwagon fans are a blessing. So are the ones who jump on and stay...for anyone who hasn't been to a Hawks game lately.

BigKlu59
06-04-2013, 12:38 PM
A month ago I posted that this may be the worst Sox hitting Sox team since I started following them in the early 50s, its now official, this is the worst. 1967 up until now was the worst but that team had great pitching and defense. This team has horrible defense along with the bad hitting.
The book on the Sox has to be, don't throw strikes, they will swing at anything and make sure you hit the ball, they most likely will drop the ball or make a bad throw or look like fools on routes to the ball.

The team video this year should be titled "Southside Follies".. They make those middlin teams with pop gun offences and pitching and defensive prowess look like world beaters in comparision..

I swear they remind me of a bunch of tee ballers when the ball is put in play. The only thing missing is them standing in the field and picking their asses or noses and chewing on their gloves..

We have been blessed with some great catchers along the way. Flowers really makes you notice things we once took for granted.

BK59

Harry Chappas
06-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Bandwagon fans are a blessing. So are the ones who jump on and stay...for anyone who hasn't been to a Hawks game lately.

Yeah, but they're not as "cool" because they aren't rocking a retro jersey from a relatively obscure Sox player and can't reminisce about the old Comiskey.

Carolina Kenny
06-04-2013, 01:10 PM
Instead of Hitless Wonders this team is the Hitless Blunders.

Not only is hittling dismal but fielding and mental mistakes makes this team " The Hittless Blunders".